• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The US PSP Launch

Mrbob

Wipeout Pure is much better than I anticipated! I'm absolutely loving the game! I'm a big F-Zero fan and I decided to finally give Wipeout a try! Been playing Zone mode for like the last half hour so much fun! :D Plenty of free races too and I'll get to the tournament mode when I'm ready.....which may be a long time. :lol

Bristow

Banned
Current poll on cnn.com regarding whether or not you would pay $250 for a PSP...

Would you pay $250 for a PlayStation Portable?

Yes - 10% - 7357 votes

No - 90% - 67717 votes

Total: 75074 votes

just got back from picking one up for my brother. There was literally NO one in line at any of the 4 places i stopped by. Best buy, TRU, Target, Circuit City. Ended up stopping by Kmart where there was an old man waiting for the store to open so he could buy a hose (?). The funny thing was the employees didn't even know what the thing was, even the electronics guy had to go to the back to get the batch when i asked him about the system. This was the same Kmart i went to get my PS2s and Gamecube at launch, and for both of those there was a good sized line waiting for hte store to open. Which isn't a bad thing though, i hate when companies try to inflate hype by shipping less units than they know they will need.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Bristow said:
Current poll on cnn.com regarding whether or not you would pay $250 for a PSP...

Yes - 10% - 7357 votes

No - 90% - 67717 votes

PSP am doomed!

Bristow said:

Yes - 10% - 7357 votes

No - 90% - 67717 votes

That doesn't take into account their kids nagging.

Sysgen

I ordered one from Bestbuy.com @ 10AM this morning. No lines and no crappy bundles. Glad I didn't go to the brick and mortar this morning.

Got back a short time ago from getting my PSP. Picked up from Gamestop. There were only 4 or 5 of us there. When they didn't have all the games I was looking for I headed out to Comp-USA to get a couple of games that they had on sale. No one was there at all, and they had a decent selection of games. I was looking to get Untold Legends and couuldn't find it there, to I ran to a nearby Target, Best Buy, and Wal-mart, none of which had the game. There were plenty of systems at all the stores, and only Best Buy had a few people looking at them.

On my way back to the office I decided to swing by another Target that was a little out of the way. I found UL there and left happy. There was one other person there getting a system and a couple of games. So as far as I can tell here, the launch hasn't been overwhelming, but Best Buy did open at Mid-night and from what I heard they had a good sized line.

Anyway, I'm back in the office with a beautiful new PSP, no dead or stuck pixles, that is charging as I type. I also picked up Untold Legends, WipeOut Pure, Twisted Metal, and NFL Street 2. Haven't played any of them yet, but will soon, and post some thoughts. I also picked up a nice, small Intec metel case that is perfect for throwing into my backpack. It holds the PSP snugly and has room for a couple of games, headphones, etc. Not bad. Best Buy had it for $10. Down the line I wouldn't mind getting that case that will also recharge the battery, but for now, this will do nicely. :)

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Kung Fu, wouldn't mind getting some impressions of Untold Legends from you, once you get the chance. I held off on buying that one.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Excellent. Just confirmed that my doorman accepted my PSP + Games bundle sent from EB. Lovely. Can't wait to get home from work.

Anyone who ordered the gamers sandisk 1gb mem stick from BestBuy.com. They had originally advertised a ship date of 3/24, yet mine hasn't shipped yet. Anyone else?

DHGamer

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I also picked up a nice, small Intec metel case that is perfect for throwing into my backpack. It holds the PSP snugly and has room for a couple of games, headphones, etc. Not bad. Best Buy had it for $10.

How's the construction on that case? I picked it up at EB and was going to get it but changed my mind last second. Still need something and would prefer one that held a couple games. I didn't notice any protection between the PSP and the UMD mesh so I held off.

JavyOO7

bill0527 said:
This makes me very happy. Not because I want the PSP to do badly, but because I want all the little ebay get-rich-quick-by-buying-everything-to-resell, bastards to lose their asses big on this one.

Preach it, mang!

B.K.

I'm picking mine up tomorrow. I want to get a screen protector, but don't know which to get. I've heard good and bad things about the Hori protector. Which is the best to get?

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
I hit up my local mall at 8 am to get to EB. Now, I live in Rochester, near RIT. For those uninformed RIT is a about 80% men and most of them utter nerds.
Five people at EB, two at GS.
That was a shock, I was expecting to wait in line for at least a half hour.
Oh well, got my PSP and no dead pixels. Woo!

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Looks like I have one "stuck" pixel in the upper right part of the screen. It stays white.

But I also have, I think, a tiny piece of something trapped under the screen, right in the middle. Sucks. It's not like a dead pixel; how noticable it is depends on how you're holding it. I went through all the months backgrounds, and it's the worst on light colors like this month. I bought it at EB, so I guess I'm not getting a replacement any time soon if I want one.

DHGamer said:
How's the construction on that case? I picked it up at EB and was going to get it but changed my mind last second. Still need something and would prefer one that held a couple games. I didn't notice any protection between the PSP and the UMD mesh so I held off.

Yeah, the inside doesn't have tons of padding and there isn't much room between the netting and PSP, but unless you stuff it, the netting shouldn't touch the screen. I like that it is compact and holds everything I need, and protects the PSP much better then sleeve that came in the Value Pack. For $10 I thought it was well worth it.

Untold Legends impressions coming up soon! :)

Link

The Autumn Wind
Ok, picked up my PSP at my local Gamestop at about 8:30 this morning. There was a line of about 10 people, and it seemed to take forever. Got it home, set it up, inspected it. One dead pixel toward the bottom left-center. I can deal with that, I suppose. (I'll still bug the hell out of me, I'm sure.)

Watched Spider-Man 2 since I'd never seen it before. (Dodges items being thrown.) The screen is absolutely beautiful. I'll be playing Wipeout and Lumines later this afternoon, but first, I have an issue.

I'm trying to install PSP Connect onto my PSP, but my computer doesn't want to connect to it. I'll plug in the USB cable to add the drive, then choose the option, but the update box just sits at 0%, and when I check the status, it tells me "not responding." I tried switching to the other USB port on the computer, but it gives me the same issue.

Any suggestions on how to remedy this?

aparisi2274

The End said:
I had 7 dead pixels, but someone had canceled their pre-order, so i was able to exchange it for a "perfect" PSP.

:D

There is no such thing as perfect...

If you play it, they will come.

I had a perfect jpn system, and over time, I had dead pixels, but u know what, when u are playing a game like wipeout or ridgeracers, hell u dont even notice them.

BuddyC

Link said:
Ok, picked up my PSP at my local Gamestop at about 8:30 this morning. There was a line of about 10 people, and it seemed to take forever. Got it home, set it up, inspected it. One dead pixel toward the bottom left-center. I can deal with that, I suppose. (I'll still bug the hell out of me, I'm sure.)

Watched Spider-Man 2 since I'd never seen it before. (Dodges items being thrown.) The screen is absolutely beautiful. I'll be playing Wipeout and Lumines later this afternoon, but first, I have an issue.

I'm trying to install PSP Connect onto my PSP, but my computer doesn't want to connect to it. I'll plug in the USB cable to add the drive, then choose the option, but the update box just sits at 0%, and when I check the status, it tells me "not responding." I tried switching to the other USB port on the computer, but it gives me the same issue.

Any suggestions on how to remedy this?

What version of Windows are you running? You'll need to install the driver for a generic USB Mass Storage Device, I do believe.

The End

aparisi2274 said:

I had a perfect jpn system, and over time, I had dead pixels, but u know what, when u are playing a game like wipeout or ridgeracers, hell u dont even notice them.

That's why i put it in quotes. On the first system, there was a big clump of 5 in one corner, and a couple extra. I could have lived with two, but the big dark clump was really distracting

Lord Error

Insane For Sony

If they don't appear in the first week or so, there won't be any. I had mine for three months now, and there are no dead pixels on it.

fse

Yes
10%
10575 votes

No
90%
93118 votes

Total: 103693 votes

:lol

mrklaw

MrArseFace
To those surprised at no lines. You know it a Thursday, right? People have jobs to go to. Thats why the rest of the store is empty too.

And if you have a preorder, whats the hurry? Just go after work. Of course I'd be there first thing, but I'm not normal :p

BuddyC

Link said:
Of course. That's how it starts the installation.
Be nice, I am tired. Stupid lesson plans.

Everything I find says that this should all happen automatically, even on Windows Me. Did you try restarting?

BuddyC

:(

Google yields nothing that appears worthwhile, though I don't have time to fully explore the hits right now. What about Windows Update, are you good there? You've tested that other USB devices can function through the same ports?

Superbone

Wasn't planning on getting one right away. But, somehow, I was hypnotically drawn to it. :lol

Dropped my kids off at school and proceeded to go directly to the local Walmart. Walked straight to the electronics department and there was not a soul there. Asked an employee if they were selling the PSP, he said they were, and said I'll take one. Picked up Ridge Racer along with it.

I haven't read through all these posts. What's the quickest way to do the dead pixel test?

DHGamer

Thanks for the info on the case Kung Fu.

Quick impressions:

Only tried Ridge Racer so far and the analog nub is much easier to use than I imagined. I mean watching some of the videos on the net leads you to believe its hard to use when you see the guy hitting the wall 10 times in a 30 second vid.

Fortunatly a couple laps around the track and I'm finding it very easy and smooth to use.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I bought that cheap case too. It's nice, and well worth the $10.

just briefly....no dead pixels, button problems, etc.

This is the most beautiful gadget I've ever bought. Sony knows cool. I've had a steady stream of people into my office wanting to look at it (no touching! no touching!). It's such a decadent, streamlined object I'm having trouble dealing with its reality. All vs. discussions come to an end once you pop a game or movie into it because frankly, nothing else comes close.

I'm literally afraid of the screen. I fear for the life of anything so large and bright.

Un-fucking-believable.

Dropped my kids off at school and proceeded to go directly to the local Walmart. Walked straight to the electronics department and there was not a soul there.

I feel ya, I'm like that with smokes sometimes. I'm like, "Not going to buy a pack today"...ten mins later I'm opening a new pack asking myself, "WTF?".

Link

The Autumn Wind
Musashi Wins! said:
I've had a steady stream of people into my office wanting to look at it (no touching! no touching!).
I'm finding myself worrying that people will ask to look at it, but I'd really prefer that no one touches it, since it's so delicate. At the same time, I don't want to seem like a jerk, though.

Picked one up at Target in Willowbrook, IL at about 9:00AM (Store been open an hour). While I was there 3 other people picked one up. Picked it up with Lumines.

DarienA

I was just reading the IGN Sony Metreon PSP launch article... Sony rewarded the kid who stood in line to be #1 by giving him and his friends a ride home in a limo... cute.

Cathcart

My PSP wasn't pre-charged so I couldn't play it during lunch :( Set it up here at work though and Wipeout looks amazing. Didn't play Lumines because I want to wait until I can play it with headphones. Looks great, no dead pixels (yet). Weee!

BojTrek

Banned
I had it in my hands at EB in the Woodfield Mall in Schaumburg, IL... they had extra besides the reserved ones...

I just can't see doing it... I don't train to work, I have baby #2 on the way and the 19 month old is a handful. I have a ton of X-Box games I never started or finished...

Do I return all X-Box items? NO... I will wait until X-Box 2 specs are announced...

I could play it at work, better than getting caught playing on the PC...

I just cannot see the positives outweighing the negatives... I will wait for maybe the 2nd. generation of games.

DAMNIT... I love new technology...

DarienA

M3wThr33 said:
It's Sony Connect, like iTunes, but clunkier and more restrictive.

No it's not that yet... right now it's just a how to download and bring videos to your PSP demos site with some videos on the site for you to download.

Draff

So I preordered a PSP at DVDSoon and got it at a crazy price (with coupons)... Under 270 Canadian with tax. Now that it's the release date, it says "on order" and that means I could be waiting months. I have this theory that they purposely don't ship out units to individuals when there's a mistake in the system regarding pricing... I could be wrong.

Has anyone else ordered from them? I want to cancel, but I'm saving more than 80 with taxes.

DHGamer

aparisi2274 said:
What is this PSP Connect I am reading about?

Can someone quickly fill me in?

http://www.connect.com/psp/

It's a site Sony setup to show you how to put video on the PSP. There's a bunch of movies there to try and they say it updates weekly.

Quick Untold Legends impressions:

Played about 1/2 hour so far. Graphics are great, loads seem quick, skill trees is extensive (for beserker I played), loving the analog nub, music isn't nearly as bad as IGN made out IMO and I'm a musician. You can also adjust all the sounds/music individually with sliders including the footstep noise. Very extensive options.

Sum up: fun fun fun ... if you like Diablo, BGDA, or the Champion series ( which I do ) then pick it up.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Link said:
I'm finding myself worrying that people will ask to look at it, but I'd really prefer that no one touches it, since it's so delicate. At the same time, I don't want to seem like a jerk, though.

Exactly. I found out today that every guy in the office knew about the thing (surprise to me) but no one went to the trouble except myself to order it yet. To say they were ecstatic about holding it would be an understatement. I just made my feelings known about the screen ("be careful, you prick").

Honestly though...I'm either going to have to undergo an acceptance process that some flaws are going to occur sooner rather than later to the appearance of this thing, or just give up owning one. It's incredibly beautiful, but I need it to be functional as well. Give me a few days to get out of my hermetically sealed space with it :)

calder

Shit, I was going to wait a week or so to pick one up but my brother just called and asked me if Twisted Metal, the soccer or hockey games were any good. Bastard picked one up this morning (no preorder or anything) so now I don't know what the hell I'm going to do. Steal his maybe.

He called from Futureshop a couple of hours ago to say he was debating buying 2 to sell on ebay but I told him if his dumbass could just walk into a random store and pick up 2 without a preorder than maybe there's not a shortage huh. ;P

EDIT: he bought TM and Gretzky. He says the screen is just sickeningly awesome to look at. I have such incredible non-buyers regret right now. :(

sammy

got mine! (awesomeness)

How loud is this thing supposed to be? I'm worried if mine is broke, 'cause my DS is easily twice as loud -- but I thought that that might be because the speakers are so far appart on the DS.

Also -- I suck at applying screen protectors got so much fuzz under mine - luckily it comes off easy.... but damn I must've washed it and applied it 4 times to try and get it right..
I'm thinking of goin' the non-protection rout - since a screen protector is so ugly on the machine - and just goin au-natural and being pridefull of the personal dings/scratches on it : D

(is sony gonna release a replacable top plastic shell??)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Sweet, they have plenty of spare PSPs at my local EB...

I'm going to open up my PSP in the back room to check for dead pixels and swap if I need to. :p

Top Bottom