• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The US PSP Launch

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Damn it, PSP's early lineup is looking better to me by the minute. I've got four games ordered (Ridge Racers should be arriving on Tuesday, with Metal Gear Acid and Lumines ordered today and Rengoku to follow when it's released) and there's still a stack of games I want - Wipeout Pure and Ape Escape spring to mind. Obviously not the case for everyone, but this is a launch lineup that makes me, personally, happy.

DHGamer

f_elz said:
Anyone know if a PSP can play movies that are in .wmv files?

The Sony Image Converter is the only program I know of that will convert them. PSP video9, iPSP, Rapiz, and 3gp don't handle WMV format.

trilobyte

Well I just went to Wal-Mart and saw about 15 PSPs sitting there in the glass case. I tilted my head and let out a hardy laugh, then opened my eyes to see a video of WipeOut Pure on the monitor. Walked out of Wal-Mart with $400 worth of PSP stuff.

It's charging now, but after I made sure there weren't any screen defects ;)

launch lineup that makes me, personally, happy.

I like it. There's almost something for everyone here. Next month has three games I want: Mercury, Namco Museum, and NBA Street. Plus I want to get Wipeout, Metal Gear Acid, and Ape Escape. PSP is not a machine for the poor.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
The Experiment said:
I like it. There's almost something for everyone here. Next month has three games I want: Mercury, Namco Museum, and NBA Street. Plus I want to get Wipeout, Metal Gear Acid, and Ape Escape. PSP is not a machine for the poor.

Exactly. The more I think about it, the more I see it as a truly high-end product, like a HDTV or something.

BuddyC

-jinx- said:
Me: "So I picked up that new gadget before I left for my trip...do you want to see it?"
Her: "Sure, I guess. What does it do? Is it a videogame thing?"
Me: [putting in Spiderman 2 since GF loves comic books] "Well, it plays movies too."
(long pause while movie plays for a minute)
Me: "What do you think?"
Her: "It certainly looks like a movie."
Me: ......................

Me: [putting in Lumines] "Did you like to play Tetris when that was popular?"
Her: "Yeah."
Me: "Well, you might like this game...it's similar to Tetris."
(short keeping-it-simple explanation of how to play Lumines, followed by a short game)
Me: "What do you think? Do the rules make sense?"
Her: "Yeah."
Me: "Would you like to play?"
Her: "No."
Me: ......................

I SO wanted to fire back, "You do know that the cute security guard at LAX who saw this on Thursday practically gave me her number, right?"

:lol

Drey1082

hmmm, one bright spot in the lower right hand corner of the screen..... One tiny speck from perfection!! I guess I'll live with it for a while, and see if it bothers me enought to exchange it.

Andy787

Banned
Okay, I fully realize that I am a fucking idiot, and I'm sure this has been covered a hundred times, but can anyone tell me how, in simple, English, caveman terms, to copy photos or mp3's to the PSP memory stick?

I have no problem with videos, watched the PSP Connect tutorial quickly, downloaded PSP Video 9, and that's all well and good. I simply need to know exactly what to create or where to put photos and mp3s in the PSP file system, how to name the things and what not, and any other tips you guys can offer, if you would. Thanks.

The PSP continues to impress me.

After turning off the PSP to go to a study group, afterwards I came back and played Lumines. The UMD was not in the PSP but when I loaded it up, the game took me right to the menu of the game. That was pretty crazy. No load times or anything either. I like that. I tried it with Spiderman 2 and it did that too.

Rhindle

Belfast said:
Well, once you have the program set up (which isn't that hard), its just a matter of dragging and dropping the file.
... and then waiting for more than a frigging hour for the thing to convert.

Shompola

Banned
Andy787 said:
Okay, I fully realize that I am a fucking idiot, and I'm sure this has been covered a hundred times, but can anyone tell me how, in simple, English, caveman terms, to copy photos or mp3's to the PSP memory stick?

I have no problem with videos, watched the PSP Connect tutorial quickly, downloaded PSP Video 9, and that's all well and good. I simply need to know exactly what to create or where to put photos and mp3s in the PSP file system, how to name the things and what not, and any other tips you guys can offer, if you would. Thanks.

put your mp3s in PSP/MUSIC
put your photos in PSP/PHOTO

If there is no PSP/MUSIC... then you have to create one. same with photo.

It actually is described quite good in the PSP manual.

Shadax

Banned
Andy787 said:

All Photos and MP3s must go under the "PSP" folder which already exists in your PSP. You'll need to create a folder called "Photos" (without quotes of course) and "Music" to place your files in....

Go to "USB Connection under your Main Menu options when you turn your PSP on (assuming you are connecting your PSP to your PC with a USB cable). Then the PSP will be recognized by Windows as a plug-and-play removable USB drive and you can see the PSP folder and click and drag the songs/photos to their respective folders.

OR, you could try reading the fucking manual that came with your PSP. :lol

(I swear, NO ONE reads manuals anymore.)

Amir0x

Banned
Shompola said:

All he has to do is format the memory stick with your PSP. It creates the folders by itself.

Andy787

Banned
Shompola said:

Wow, that's all there is to it? Thanks, I looked in the manual in the movies and USB sections and didn't see anything about it, and figured the music and photo sections would be the same. I was expecting to have to make some folders with inane names like the video folders, which is why I asked. Anyway, thanks again.

Dilbert

I asked this in the Lumines thread as well, but I'll try again:

Can someone explain the scoring system in Lumines? I see that I earn bonuses for certain actions, but have no idea why. Also, what does "level" mean, and how is it increased? It doesn't seem to correspond one-to-one with the skins.

Alex

I think the level gig is just triggered on score.

As for the scoring system, the base goal to scoring high is simply to wipe as many sections of blocks as possible during a single sweep of the timeline. Starting at 4x, it introduces a multiplyer that skyrockets the score.

Mrbob

I FOUND RIDGE RACER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

At Wal Mart of all places as I stopped there on my way home from a family get together! Time to fire it up and see if this game lives up to the hype! :)

Syckx

Has anyone tried the converting program Datel sells at retail with a USB cord? Being that they make Action Replay I was a bit cautious. It is only $14.99 though but some impressions would be nice.

mrroboto

Banned
can anyone give impressions of the actual video quality of umd movies like spider-man 2?

i presume they're dvd quality? are video game stores actually stocking the umd movies?
what's the average price on the movies?

thanks in advance, my psp should be arriving this week in the mail. :D

gigapower

Mrbob said:
I FOUND RIDGE RACER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

At Wal Mart of all places as I stopped there on my way home from a family get together! Time to fire it up and see if this game lives up to the hype! :)
Being that you haven't reported back, I'm guessing you are another satisfied customer. Damn RR gets hotter the more you play it.

mrroboto said:
can anyone give impressions of the actual video quality of umd movies like spider-man 2?

i presume they're dvd quality? are video game stores actually stocking the umd movies?

In regards to the Spiderman 2 UMD, the video quality is very similar to what I get when I run DVDs on my 56" HDTV. It's very sharp with no noticable artifacting or color balancing problems. An extremely good looking picture.

That being said, I'm not sure I'd ever want to buy a UMD movie 'cause there's too many disadvantages with the format. I can only watch it on my PSP, it's the same price as DVDs, and I don't get any of the extra features that I get with DVD. It's pointless. I'd just rather spend the money on a 1 gig memory stick and download a movie on to that.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
mrroboto said:

thanks in advance, my psp should be arriving this week in the mail. :D

Watched the Spider-Man 2 UMD the other night.

Movie quality at this resolution is crystal clear, vibrant colors, no less impressive than a portable DVD player. Sound through headphones offers surround, but I was also happy with the output from the unit itself. Make sure you choose "+2" option in system settings for UMD audio.

As far as controlling the UMD movie, you can click the shoulder buttons for chapter skips. Also, clicking into "hold" mode during playback makes sure you don't hit a button during your viewing and screw things up.

Price of UMD movies range from $13 to $20. They will be in store later in April. If enough studios support UMD, and releases stick close to that $13 mark, I'd be satisfied. Also, I might even invest in one of these babies:

http://pspmedia.ign.com/psp/image/a...-2005-logitech-playgear-20050309085349865.jpg

What might be a good alternate to releasing the movies at $20 a pop, would be to package three together at a similar price. I agree withe UMD movies problem- it's just not going to be a viable option for most. A neat novelty at best.

mrroboto

Banned
thanks guys for the impressions, it sounds great!

i agree with the price point on the movies. $20 is a bit steep for a plain movie, no extras.

$13 sounds o.k. with me.

aoi tsuki

Goreomedy said:
Watched the Spider-Man 2 UMD the other night.

Movie quality at this resolution is crystal clear, vibrant colors, no less impressive than a portable DVD player. Sound through headphones offers surround, but I was also happy with the output from the unit itself. Make sure you choose "+2" option in system settings for UMD audio.
Surround sound? i'm pretty sure it's stereo.

My two gripes with UMD so far are the lack of a chapter menu as well as use of the original fonts in the credits. Skipping through scenes in Spiderman 2 took forever. It seemed like every five minutes marked a new chapter. i'm sure the latter issue has more to do with the amount of resources involved with bringing the movie to UMD.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
aoi tsuki said:
Surround sound? i'm pretty sure it's stereo.

My two gripes with UMD so far are the lack of a chapter menu as well as use of the original fonts in the credits. Skipping through scenes in Spiderman 2 took forever. It seemed like every five minutes marked a new chapter. i'm sure the latter issue has more to do with the amount of resources involved with bringing the movie to UMD.

To be fair, they are gripes with Spiderman 2 UMD, not in general. Hopefully chapter positioning and lack of chapter selection menu are an authoring issue specific to Spiderman 2.

I don't like it being 'edited to fit the screen'. Open matte or no open matte, it isn't the scope format as it was at the theaters. Hopefully that pattern doesn't continue - haven't the studios noticed that even widescreen TVs are only 16:9, and they still release OAR stuff.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
iapetus said:
Damn it, PSP's early lineup is looking better to me by the minute. I've got four games ordered (Ridge Racers should be arriving on Tuesday, with Metal Gear Acid and Lumines ordered today and Rengoku to follow when it's released) and there's still a stack of games I want - Wipeout Pure and Ape Escape spring to mind. Obviously not the case for everyone, but this is a launch lineup that makes me, personally, happy.

yup yup yup. also good for JPN peeps or importers, giving us a nice second raft of titles.

I've got MGA and Wipeout pure on the way, already have RR and Minna no Golf. Mercury to come in April.

Thats a nice broad range to suit almost any situation. And having a family now means I don't have access to my TV, so my PSP is invaluable.

I bought five games with the PSP last week, two more then I intended to, and could still pick up some more, so for me there are already plenty of good games out there. I grabbed Untold Legends, WipeOut Pure, Lumines, Twisted Metal, and NFL Street. Besides those five, I could easily pick up Ridge Racers, Metal Gear Acid, THUG2, and Tiger Woods Golf. Plus, in April NBA Street will hit and Mercury looks like it's going to be good too. I keep reminding myself that I have to pace myself with these games. For now, I have plenty to play, but it's nice to know there are several other good games to pick up in the near future.

Can't... stop... playing... PSP. Oh the joy! DEATH TO CONSOLEZ!111!

Lumines = Crack
Wipeout = The most kickassiest Wipeout in centuries
Untold Legends = Hack'n'slash Hack'n'slash goodness

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I'm looking to get a wireless adsl modem/router - any ones in particular that I should avoid if I want to use my PSP with it?

I'm currently have my eye on:

Linksys Wireless-G ADSL Modem Router w/4-Port Switch
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002A45AO/ref=br_lf_ce_2/202-4509020-3487019

or

Netgear DG834G 54Mbps Wireless ADSL Modem Firewall Router with 4-port 10/100 switch
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000TZ8Z8/ref=br_lf_ce_0/202-4509020-3487019

The Netgear has a higher rating and more reviews on Amazon, so I guess that'd be an OK choice. People haven't had PSP problems that related specifically to the type of router they use, have they?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Movie quality at this resolution is crystal clear, vibrant colors, no less impressive than a portable DVD player.
A *very* good portable DVD player I might add. Now that I think about it, during my visits to Best Buys and such places, I was usually appaled at how bad the output looked on those portable DVD players. There's got to be some models that have truly great picture quality, but I don't think I've seen any.

Razoric

Banned
Ok techies, I know there is no TV out on the system, but is there anyway (through any of its ports) that a tv out could happen anyway so you can play some of those games on TV if you want. (even a connection via PS2/3). or is it impossible?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
to the guy asking for lumines strategies.. here are the ones that work for me..

half and half blocks
##
OO

try to complete with these always.. if you can't complete with them, look for a flat surface to drop them on as pictured above. if you have another one coming up soon (in the queue) use it to get rid of both blocks. If you don't have another one coming up soon you can use any of the other blocks to get rid of it quickly or just leave it until you have another one come up soon.

full blocks
##
##

these are obviously the easiest. What I do with these is either try to clear away some big tiles, OR if I won't be able to clear away all of this block and some other blocks, I will just set this in a flat place and clear it by itself. My goal of every drop is to take away more than I leave.

criss cross blocks
O#
#O

these blocks were the second most confusing blocks.. took me a while to figure out what to do with them. now I learned the best way (until I can figure out better). Use them to either fill in a single block on three that only need one more, or drop them to form a double horizontal flat block.

one of these things is not like the other blocks
O#
##

these were THE most confusing blocks for me to figure out.. no question. here is finally what I came up with. the easiest thing to look for is a # colored block sitting with a one level drop to one side. then arrange it so the O colored block is on top of the # colored block and the side with both blocks colored # is over the one block drop off.. drop the block and you will form a square and be left over with the O colored block in the same position as the previous single block.. note here we are NOT getting rid of blocks and it is NOT a good strategy to keep this up.. I do this if I have no other place to put this block..

using the above strategies I was able to play to around 88,000 points and at least level 32 (I got "I Hear Music in My Soul").

duckroll

gofreak said:
I'm looking to get a wireless adsl modem/router - any ones in particular that I should avoid if I want to use my PSP with it?

I'm currently have my eye on:

Linksys Wireless-G ADSL Modem Router w/4-Port Switch
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002A45AO/ref=br_lf_ce_2/202-4509020-3487019

or

Netgear DG834G 54Mbps Wireless ADSL Modem Firewall Router with 4-port 10/100 switch
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000TZ8Z8/ref=br_lf_ce_0/202-4509020-3487019

The Netgear has a higher rating and more reviews on Amazon, so I guess that'd be an OK choice. People haven't had PSP problems that related specifically to the type of router they use, have they?

I use a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router w/4-port switch and it works great with the PSP. It also has a better admin page interface than Netgear so I see no reason not to go with that, especially since it's cheaper too. I've been using Linksys Routers for two generations with no problems so far. Hope that helps. :D

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
http://www.us.playstation.com/psp has updated with a new front-end and navigation that mimics the XMB. They also have a few free downloads: an mp3 and several clips of music videos, all under the Music section. The MP4s are all in 4:3 ratio and aren't the complete videos. Quality is okay.

Damn you Sony. Last night I found a dead pixel. It was one small dot and didn't even notice it. The only reason I noticed it was because I was wiping off the screen and thought it was a dust flake. When playing Lumines and Ridge Racer, I didn't even notice it. So its not a problem. No overheating anymore. I have no idea how to explain how it was that way the first time playing it. I hope I don't get any more. I might stop at GameStop and get a warranty just in case it gets too bad.

After showing off the PSP in a story I told earlier, someone ran out and got a PSP with Lumines. Multiplayer is awesome and kept us playing until about 2 in the morning, starting playing it at 11:30 pm. Very addicting with someone else. They also got Twisted Metal, which I played for a little bit. Yet another game I want to get.

The games I want to get:

Ape Escape
Metal Gear Ac!d
Need For Speed Underground Rivals
NFL Street 2 Unleashed
Tiger Woods
Twisted Metal Head On
Wipeout Pure

I probably won't be able to get any more PSP games until the summer. By then, maybe some of the games (like EA's games) will come down in price for a used copy. Then there's Namco Museum, Mercury, and NBA Street next month.

Forsete

I dont know if this has been talked about earlier in the thread, I looked but didnt find anything.

How long are the load times in Wipeout and Twisted Metal? Like from menu to game, start up etc?

And a question for anyone else so has ordered from VGP. How long does it take before DHL registers your shipping number so you can track it?

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Forsete said:
I dont know if this has been talked about earlier in the thread, I looked but didnt find anything.

How long are the load times in Wipeout and Twisted Metal? Like from menu to game, start up etc?

I haven't timed the Wipeout load times, but I can say, not too short... not too long... or... not long enough to get annoyed by...

Wipeout loadtimes are somewhere around 8 seconds from menu to race start. You don't really notice it too much. I've heard that some of the games have like 20 second load times but Wipeout is not one of them.

Tabris

I got a scratch already :(

I had it wrapped in the cloth, then soft plastic/fabric-esque packaging then the PSP soft case

...and still got a bloody scratch.

Luckily I looked closer and have noticed some dead pixels, so I'll just exchange it for another one.

Top Bottom