• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The US PSP Launch

2001! Woot! Anyway, I picked up Twisted Metal: Head on as my first game, and now I think I'll be picking up another this coming Friday...I'm basically deciding between Lumines, and Metal Gear Acid...Anyone have both and want to reccomend one or the other?

Seth C

ToyMachine228 said:
2001! Woot! Anyway, I picked up Twisted Metal: Head on as my first game, and now I think I'll be picking up another this coming Friday...I'm basically deciding between Lumines, and Metal Gear Acid...Anyone have both and want to reccomend one or the other?

I don't have Acid yet, but I think everyone with a PS should own Lumines.

duckroll

ToyMachine228 said:

I have both but if you really only have to get ONE, I would say go with Lumines. MGA will always be there, but Lumines needs all the sales it can get right now, and it's really the BEST PSP title out atm. It's only fair thar you give your due respects before moving on to other games. :D

I think Lumines is a great game. Its just so out there that you have to love it. I do agree that it needs all the sales it can get. Played it again and got four skins.

About my PSP problem: Played it again for a while and it wasn't hot to the touch anymore. It was warm but thats it. As long as that is it, then I'm fine with it. So no more problems, for now.

I also checked out the preview disc. How good is Ape Escape? That game looked pretty good. That and Hot Shots Golf.

Belfast

The Experiment said:
Ridge Racer is that good. I am very impressed with the game. I like it better than Lumines. The only thing that sucks about it is the god awful soundtrack. Too bad its not possible to have your own soundtrack on the game using ATRAC3 or MP3s.

The only complaint I have about PSP is its overheating. I played maybe 40 minutes of Ridge Racer and about 30 minutes of Lumines and the PSP was very, very warm. Could explain the dead pixels. I let the battery charge and touched it and it was almost hot. I had to unplug it entirely and let it cool.

Wait, what? Ridge Racer has a god awful soundtrack?!?!

Seth C

Belfast said:
Wait, what? Ridge Racer has a god awful soundtrack?!?!

It may not be to his tastes, but the quality is fine, and there are four "discs" to choose from, including a classics disc and a remix disc.

Belfast

Seth C said:
It may not be to his tastes, but the quality is fine, and there are four "discs" to choose from, including a classics disc and a remix disc.

Yeah I know. I've had RR since the JP launch. I just don't know how you can call the music "god awful" regardless of tastes.

I'm not a fan of techno, so that excludes most of the songs. I did like the jazz like song on there. The game is so awesome that soundtrack won't get in my way of liking the game.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
acklame said:
I fucking love my psp :x

Me too....even when im not playing it,I think about playing it :(

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I've been playing Wipeout Pure all day, with 1 game of Lumines on the side (and broke my record with a score of ~208k points!). I'm trying to get a 100% complete save on Wipeout Pure...getting gold medals on everything

PSP is awesome, awesome is PSP

Also converted my first PSP video (24 ep). Looks great but I encoded it in high quality...gotta experiment with this stuff

lunlunqq

PSP owners, how well did you apply the screen protector onto your psp? I'm quite satisfied with my work. Perfectly postioned, not a single air bubble.... :)

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Finally played 4 player Wipeout today! Fanfuckingtastic since I won every time, heehah.

Lumines 2 player is pretty damn good. I still quasi-suck so I got my ass handed to me but I learned some incredibly valuable pointers.

I did play a ton of my friend's Ridge Racer and now I must purchase!

I checked out Untold Legends and Metal Gear Ac!d as well. While both are fun games they didn't pique my interest enough to spend $40 on them. Ac!d however I will definitely rent.

Sorry for the incredibly blunt and short impressions.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
haha, My 57 year old Dad, stricken with cancer, and in the middle of Chemo, snuck out of the house. And bought a PSP and Lumines....

I don't know whether to laugh or chastise him for going out in public!

My brother just had to have this latest gadget, so I suggested he grab RR for it as his game. He dropped it off for me to experiment with for a while.

Definitely gives a better impression if you can sit with it and absorb it. Took a 100 MB avi down to 20 or so to fit on the included card, played without a hitch, very nice. Just used the built-in MS reader on my PC, but the flimsy memory card flap discourages frequent removal of the mc, so connecting the PSP as a whole with USB might still be recommended. Dropped on some images and an MP3 to test and everything looks and sounds sharp.

Ridge Racer PSP rocks. Period. It was especially cool pouring on nitrous to get the boost up the infamous Rage Racer hill, now looking sharper, brighter, faster.

Spiderman 2 also looks amazingly crisp. Played through the first 30 minutes or so before moving on.

No dead pixels.

Still, between having a very capable PocketPC and enough other digital toys banging around in my gadget bag, I don't need one of these getting tossed around in there now. I may on whim grab one up sooner rather than later, but I had my fill for now....

But it is certainly a great little machine, no doubt. Enjoy it.

well i finally got around the checking out the PSP i got for my brother.

-he has one dead pixel, in the lower righthand side of the screen. It sticks out more than i thought it would (coming from someone with zero experience with portable LCD products) and can be annoying, but once you start playing you don't really notice it. It really didn't seem to bother him, but he says he might call up Sony and see if he can send it in or get it fixed or something.

-you really can't tell how good the graphics are or how great the screen looks until you have it sitting in your hands. Dayum the thing looks sweet. Really tempts me to run out and buy one myself (which is the reason i sort of avoided checking it out launch day)

-the only game he got was Ridge Racer. Looks really nice, controls better with the Dpad than the nub. Graphics are a little jaggified and pixely, but other than that its really PS2 quality.

-Spiderman 2 was cool to check out, but after a couple minutes i stopped it. can't see myself really getting into watching movies on the thing, unless i was really desperate. Dead pixels seem a lot more noticable on movies, it seems.

-the sound seemed really, really low and even a bit muffled. i had it all the way up and you could barely hear Spiderman 2. Didn't try headphones though so that might be a good remedy. Could it have been that the battery needed charging and this affects the sound quality?

-so far, i don't think im gonna splurge and buy one, but seeing it in person really changed my outlook on the system. It really is a cool little piece of tech. a good qualty Burnout or GTA game could just make me run out and get one for myself.

-btw, was it supposed to come with a USB cable packed in?

Mairu

Ninja Scooter said:
-the sound seemed really, really low and even a bit muffled. i had it all the way up and you could barely hear Spiderman 2. Didn't try headphones though so that might be a good remedy. Could it have been that the battery needed charging and this affects the sound quality?
The PSP speakers aren't terrible, but they aren't terribly great either. A good pair of headphones makes a huge difference.

jiggle

Looks like mine is going back to the store. While trying to reposition the screen protector noticed there's a little hole that was chipped off from the screen. Didn't notice that when I first put the protector on. Dead pixel i can live with but not this.

Jagernaut

So, what's the consensus on Darkstalkers' controls? Was the IGN guy full of shit? Does it control at least as well as playing with a Dual Shock 2 (my favorite stock pad of this gen)?

Also, what games would you recommend. I already have Wipeout Pure (awesome), Ridge Racers (excellent), and Twisted Metal (very good when the online play is stable). I know many people love Lumines, but i don't know if i would like it, i didn't like Rez.

So far i'm considering Untold Legends or Metal Gear Acid for my 4th game, but i am a big Darkstalkers fan so that is also an option.

Andvary

Ninja Scooter said:

There's an option to increase the volume of UMD movies.

Ninja Scooter said:
-btw, was it supposed to come with a USB cable packed in?

No, you have to buy it separately.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Jagernaut said:
So, what's the consensus on Darkstalkers' controls? Was the IGN guy full of shit? Does it control at least as well as playing with a Dual Shock 2 (my favorite stock pad of this gen)?

Also, what games would you recommend. I already have Wipeout Pure (awesome), Ridge Racers (excellent), and Twisted Metal (very good when the online play is stable). I know many people love Lumines, but i don't know if i would like it, i didn't like Rez.

So far i'm considering Untold Legends or Metal Gear Acid for my 4th game, but i am a big Darkstalkers fan so that is also an option.

Rez and Lumines are completely different games. If you remotely like Tetris or any other puzzle games, get Lumines. It's an awesome game

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Wario64 said:
Rez and Lumines are completely different games. If you remotely like Tetris or any other puzzle games, get Lumines. It's an awesome game

Lumines really did live up to the hype for me. It takes a bit to get going, but damn, once you "get it", the game becomes an experience.

Sitting outside under the stars with a pair of nice headphones and your PSP + Lumines = complete zen. :)

Jagernaut

Wario64 said:

I know they are different games, but they are made by the same guy. I remember people here at GAF gushing over Rez, and how disappointed i was in the game. I'm trying to avoid repeating that.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
lunlunqq said:
PSP owners, how well did you apply the screen protector onto your psp? I'm quite satisfied with my work. Perfectly postioned, not a single air bubble.... :)

Hey, can you apply a screen protector for my PSP? :)

Meantime

Jagernaut said:
I know they are different games, but they are made by the same guy. I remember people here at GAF gushing over Rez, and how disappointed i was in the game. I'm trying to avoid repeating that.

They share some stylistic similarities, particularly in terms of sound design, but that's as far as it goes. If you like puzzle games at all you should really check out Lumines.

God damn I love my PSP. Lets face it, for the 15 or so years that portable gaming has been around, 99.99% of the time it sucked. The games felt out of date and too compromised compared to their console brethren (outside of the Neptune and TG Express, but they suffered from other problems) but the PSP feels like a portable PS2. How cool is that?! The design, the feel, and that fucking awsome screen. This is what I've been waiting for.

I haven't been into portable gaming in god only knows how many years but the PSP has made a believer out of me. Hell I wasn't even remotely interested in the PSP until I got my hands on one last night. I was so enamored with it that I immediately went out and bought one this morning. Now as I'm playing through Ridge Racer and Untold Legends I keep thinking about PSP versions of Madden, Devil May Cry, ZOE, Gran Turismo, Final Fantasy, GTA, etc. God damn I love this thing!

Thank you Sony.

I'd say Darkstalkers controls a little worse than it would on a PS2 Dual Shock. The PSP digital pad is a bit lower than the dual shock d-pad.

But I'm still having a lot of fun with it.

lunlunqq

Defensor said:
Hey, can you apply a screen protector for my PSP? :)

hehe, sorry buddy, i can't do it for you.

but i can share a few tips:

the #1 reason of having air bubbles under your screen protector is dust. and it's really difficult to get rid of the dust stick to your protector. when i first applied my protector, i also got a lot of bubbles. so i did it again, i took the following steps:

1. gently clean the PSP screen and put it upside down on the table (screen facing the table).

2. use adhesive tapes (the less sticky type you use in your office, not the supper sticky type to seal boxes) on the protector to get rid of those pesty dust.

3. after applying the adhesive tapes, quickly turn over the psp and put on the protector.

if you do every like me, you should have a air-bubble-free protector on your psp.

What's the image quality like when you have a screen protector on compared to one without? Is there a big difference? I wouldn't mind putting one on my PSP but if it clouds up the image I'll just skip it.

lunlunqq

Doom_Bringer said:
lets hope it doesn't leave a sticky residue behind when removed ;)

well, i certainly hope not...

actually i had to reapply the protector 3 times before i got it right. there was no sign of sticky residue after i took the protector off. though i do worry about the hot weather here in my city may "melt" the protector...

lunlunqq

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
What's the image quality like when you have a screen protector on compared to one without? Is there a big difference? I wouldn't mind putting one on my PSP but if it clouds up the image I'll just skip it.

I cannot say the the image quality is not affected at all. But as long as you apply it right, the difference is hardly noticable. And my current protector is just a cheap one, you can always get a better "super-clean" protector as i plan to do.

Unison

Jagernaut said:

The control on Darkstalkers is pretty lousy. I can do moves all the time on the DC pad (or SF2 moves on the PS2 pad...) but I can only pull off dragon punch moves like 40% of the time on DS PSP. There's an Easy-operation mode there, but that feels like cheating.

I'd say give it a pass, personally, but it's really one of those things you have to try for yourself, I guess.

As far as other recommendations, Lumines doesn't play like Rez at all, but I'm still not convinced of its greatness... The game simply takes too long to play in the main mode, and it's not really that challenging at all (your average playtime is something like 1/2 hour at the start and it apparently stretches to more than an hour after you're really good). The music is neat and the graphics are good for a puzzle game, but it's not nearly as gripping as I had hoped.

I also got Ape Escape, which is kind of horrible with its new, non-analog controls. You have to use the nub to control your guy & the D-Pad controls the camera (annoying!). The X button is jump and the other 3 face buttons are assigned to items. You really have to make sure you're facing a monkey before you swing your baton or net, which is easier said than done. I might get used to it at some point, but it barely seems worth the effort.

Really, out of the games I've played so far only Wipeout Pure is worth the effort. I only played the first 3 circuits, but it's the clear standout so far...

Bristow

Banned
Having to use the d-pad to control the camera and the nub to move absolutely sucks. I hope they can figure out some other way in future games.

Unison

Bristow said:
Having to use the d-pad to control the camera and the nub to move absolutely sucks. I hope they can figure out some other way in future games.

It would have worked better if you just held a trigger and moved the pad to rotate the camera or something...

Alex

Lyte was going ballistic on people bashing the Darkstalkers PSP controls so watch out. :p

I don't really have an issue with the Ape Escape controls, at least thus far, it'd be nice to have the dual analog stick control, but it was never a real big deal to me.

Of the games I own (MGA, Lumines, TM:HO) I think I like MGA the best.

Not a big series fan, but the gameplay has been very enjoyable thus far and the whole piece of software just feels unique and well done. It's difficult to come to grips with at first, but I appreciate the actual learning curve and sense of difficulty. If you're a strategy game fan, there's really no reason not to pick this up. Another thing is that it does absolutely put the license to good use, very faithful all around, especially the music, geez.

The story is freakish, but interesting, to be honest I'm more caught up in it at this point than the small portion I played of MGS3. Kinda odd though all things considered, easily the "darkest" handheld game I've played, I don't think I've actually ever owned an M rated piece of Gameboy software heh.

Lumines is really great too. Good for both large sessions in the challenge mode, and short ones in puzzles or single skin mode. I'm not normaly a big puzzler fan, but it's really a very intuitive game with a lot of subtle depth, makes it so easy to get into, and the visuals and music really lock your attention and zone you out, really.

TM:HO kinda sucks, to be honest. I was looking forward to it the most, but the single player campaign is pretty watered down compared to Black. In terms of difficulty, presentation and the overall package. The online play, as everyone will tell you, is just about completely busted, and gathering up people in normal life to cluster around playing handhelds isn't for me on such a game.

I think I'll return TM:HO and get Ape Escape for myself, and also nab Ridge Racers soon.

I love my PSPso far, but I'm a little bummed about Twisted Metal.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Jagernaut said:

It seems a tiny bit hard to pull off for me (like, it plays stiff), cuz I'm not used to the controls, but my friend (who's a fighting game affectionado) was pulling off moves like mad. I bought Darkstalkers today and it looks really nice, has great music, and seems to control OK. Then again I'm one of those people who prefer to play fighters on a control pad, rather than an arcade joystick (ducks). I'm just so worried I'm gonna get my fingerprints all over the screen so I was a bit sensitive with the controller :p

Lumines isn't really much like Rez, it's like a Puyo Puyo or Tetris game. The music is more house/downtempo than trance/techno (not that that's a bad thing as I enjoy most styles of electronic music). The visuals are really nice and rather varied, some of the background effects are cool (aside from the annoying ass lips on the "Shake Your Body" stage). It's got great playability as every time you play, you do a bit better. I absolutely love it, especially the music. What didn't you like about Rez?

I <3 Wipeout... Haven't tried Ridge Racer, though I heard it's sold out everywhere around here. Brother has Twisted Metal and I'm gonna go play his copy when he goes to work tomorrow :p

Top Bottom