• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The US PSP Launch

Rhage said:
I had the psp crash on me a few times with twisted metal. damn buggy multiplayer implementation.

Yeah, but when it works its glorious. I got to play a match of co-op and DM, both games worked well and were a lot of fun :)

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Musashi Wins! said:
Goddamn, it is just impossible to find a reasonably priced 1gb duo pro that ships now. Or a store that has it on the shelf. Damn!

Yeah I ended up just ordering a 512... I will still probably pick up a 1GB somewhere down the road....

Malakhov

Banned
Tabris said:
I got a scratch already :(

I had it wrapped in the cloth, then soft plastic/fabric-esque packaging then the PSP soft case

...and still got a bloody scratch.

Luckily I looked closer and have noticed some dead pixels, so I'll just exchange it for another one.
I've heard they dont do trade-ins for psps with dead pixels, is that true?

DarienA

Malakhov said:
I've heard they dont do trade-ins for psps with dead pixels, is that true?

....who the hell is "they"? Are all stores(game, electronic and department) now run by one company called They, Inc?

Ask the store you're interested in purchasing it from about dead pixels before you buy it... most do however seem to be doing trade ins.

if you buy it from a regular retail store (walmart, target, kmart, probably even bestbuy or circuit city) instead of a gaming store, i don't see why they wouldn't let you exchange a dead pixeled PSP in the name of customer satisfaction.

Rhage

shit, I love using the psp on the web. It works pretty well actually, tho most sites are slow to load.

Details on this here for those with wifi net access and a copy of wipeout.

thank the gods for sleep mode. still, can't wait for sony to include the browser out in the menu.

Rhage

I bought mine at best buy and asked them specifically about dead pixels. they said yes to a return. of course, i'd still take what they say with a grain of salt.

Skin

Maybe it has been asked before but i couldn't find it. Can someone give me some links for reviews of screen protectors? maybe share some experiences? If I'm buying a psp I want to have one on there the minute after I checked for dead pixels. So i'd hate to have to spend another 5 bucks just because they turn out to be crappy afterwards

Seth C

Rhage said:
shit, I love using the psp on the web. It works pretty well actually, tho most sites are slow to load.

Details on this here for those with wifi net access and a copy of wipeout.

thank the gods for sleep mode. still, can't wait for sony to include the browser out in the menu.

Tried that. Still brought m to the Wipeout page. Hmmm....

Rhage

Skin said:
Maybe it has been asked before but i couldn't find it. Can someone give me some links for reviews of screen protectors? maybe share some experiences? If I'm buying a psp I want to have one on there the minute after I checked for dead pixels. So i'd hate to have to spend another 5 bucks just because they turn out to be crappy afterwards
This seems to be the one that comes most recommended.

trilobyte

After playing my new PSP for a while, I have some bullet-points:

-The screen. Don't really need to say more about it. It looks awesome. Dust and scratch prone though, especially since the damn thing is open-faced. The GBA-SP, I salute you on this one. I don't know how I played portables without a clam-shell design...cause it's getting annoying having to wipe down the PSP. And yes dead pixels :( Luckily the res is so high that you can't really see them unless you look REAL hard. Unlike the DS, where a dead pixel can be seen clear as day

-Definatly not as bulky as the DS. A little longer, yes, but it's not a brick like the DS. My only gripe is that plastic casing feels flimsy. It feels like I'm going to break the thing into peices everytime I grip it :/ Buttons aren't as good as the DS. They aren't "snappy"

-Graphics are awesome, IMO better than the comparable PS2 games (mostly cause the IQ)

-Lumines is fun, but not the orgasmic experience I was expecting after reading some of the posts in here.

-Wipeout is wipeout, IE rocks

-Ridge Racer doesn't look as good as wipeout IMO, but still fun

Load times aren't THAT bad, but I have yet to have a decent gaming experience on the toilet like I do w/ my DS and mario 64.

Even though it's $250 you do get a lot of stuff. Makes you feel like Nintendo has been ripping you off all these years ;)

Seth C

Rhage said:
Odd, working for me. just had to set the Primary DNS to that IP and it worked.

Tried it again, and it still went to the Wipeout download page. It take a long time, but finally loads it up. I tried setting my secondary DNS to that IP also, but then the whole thing screws up and it just goes back and asks me to choose another connection.

Skin

It kinda says on the frontpage already but i just want to make sure it also goes for european games.

If I buy an american game, will I be able to multiplayer it with the european version of the game? both network and online?

Amir0x

Banned
Skin said:
It kinda says on the frontpage already but i just want to make sure it also goes for european games.

If I buy an american game, will I be able to multiplayer it with the european version of the game? both network and online?

Games are not cross-region compatible.

DarienA

I remember someone pointing out somewhere that the PSP was too big to fit comfortably in your pocket.... maybe it's because I wear dress pants during the week but I have no problems sticking the PSP in it's included case and popping it in my pocket.. then sitting, moving, etc... with no problem....

Chittagong said:
Too lazy to go through the giant thread - what's the word on playing US version Twisted Metal online with a JAP PSP?

I'm playing my TM online on a JP PSP with no probs (other than the messed up net code, but that's the game's fault).

Dsal

it's going to come out of you and it's going to taste so good
DarienA said:
I remember someone pointing out somewhere that the PSP was too big to fit comfortably in your pocket.... maybe it's because I wear dress pants during the week but I have no problems sticking the PSP in it's included case and popping it in my pocket.. then sitting, moving, etc... with no problem....

Really, and it doesn't bug you? Bugs the hell out of me. Even in my inside coat pocket it feels weird.

Rhage

Seth C said:
Tried it again, and it still went to the Wipeout download page. It take a long time, but finally loads it up. I tried setting my secondary DNS to that IP also, but then the whole thing screws up and it just goes back and asks me to choose another connection.
here are my settings;

ip address automatic
default router automatic
primary dns 66.98.192.68
secondary dns 0.0.0.0

duckroll

Pedigree Chum said:
I'm playing my TM online on a JP PSP with no probs (other than the messed up net code, but that's the game's fault).

Same here, works like a charm. I'm glad all this region locked shit has been put to rest with real solid proof. :D

cvxfreak

DarienA said:

Yep, it's definitely a nuisance in my pocket.

shpankey

not an idiot
gofreak said:
I'm looking to get a wireless adsl modem/router - any ones in particular that I should avoid if I want to use my PSP with it?

I'm currently have my eye on:

Linksys Wireless-G ADSL Modem Router w/4-Port Switch
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002A45AO/ref=br_lf_ce_2/202-4509020-3487019

or

Netgear DG834G 54Mbps Wireless ADSL Modem Firewall Router with 4-port 10/100 switch
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000TZ8Z8/ref=br_lf_ce_0/202-4509020-3487019

The Netgear has a higher rating and more reviews on Amazon, so I guess that'd be an OK choice. People haven't had PSP problems that related specifically to the type of router they use, have they?

http://secure.newegg.com/app/CustratingReview.asp?DEPA=0&item=33-127-158

33-127-158-01.JPG

REVIEWS:
http://www.viperlair.com/reviews/misc/net/dlink/dgl4300/index.shtml
http://hardware.teamxbox.com/articles/xbox/1044/DLink-Wireless-108G-Gaming-Router-Review/p1/
http://gamesfirst.com/v4/index.php?m=l&i=372
http://www.gamingillustrated.com/dgl4300.php

DarienA

I just went to the menu of my TIVO and what do I see? A commercial and feature on the PSP in the main menu....

The featurette shows alot of Armored Core... did that come out in Japan yet? I may have to pick up the US version....

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
DarienA said:
I just went to the menu of my TIVO and what do I see? A commercial and feature on the PSP in the main menu....

The featurette shows alot of Armored Core... did that come out in Japan yet? I may have to pick up the US version....

Hmm didnt notice this on my Tivo till you mentioned it. Actually, all they show is Armored Core footage

I bought Lumines for the hell of it this afternoon and I just don't get what all the fuss is about. It's just another puzzle game. What exactly is everyone seeing in this that I'm not? I can't believe I spent 40 bucks on this.

The sad thing is that I kinda knew what it was going to be like before I bought it but that damn GAF hype machine got the better of me.

I took my PSP to work today and had everyone in the lab drooling over it. What's amazing is that even people that I would've never thought would be interested in something like it were impressed by it. People love this machine and I know I've sold at least 5 of my co-workers into getting one.

Put me on your payroll Sony.

duckroll

About Armored Core.... WARNING. The game is NOT an action mecha game where you customize robots to fight in 3D action battles. It's purely an AI adjustment game where you play with numbers that don't matter much and watch your robot fight on its own stage after stage. Fucking lameass effort. Stay AWAY.

DarienA

duckroll said:
About Armored Core.... WARNING. The game is NOT an action mecha game where you customize robots to fight in 3D action battles. It's purely an AI adjustment game where you play with numbers that don't matter much and watch your robot fight on its own stage after stage. Fucking lameass effort. Stay AWAY.

Geez at least Metal Gear Acid has an interesting story to go with the changed gameplay....

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
I bought Lumines for the hell of it this afternoon and I just don't get what all the fuss is about. It's just another puzzle game. What exactly is everyone seeing in this that I'm not? I can't believe I spent 40 bucks on this.

The sad thing is that I kinda knew what it was going to be like before I bought it but that damn GAF hype machine got the better of me.

No one can explain why they like something you don't. This has nothing to do with a the hype train.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst

I too was baffled when I first started playing Lumines. Why the hype for this simple Tetris knock off?

Later, after a 20 minute session, I was close to having a full screen. It first looked like a hopeless jumble of colors, but then I noticed a pattern snaking through the board. The strategic placement of a special block later, the entire board cleared in two passes of the moving line.

And that's the draw for me. Learning by happy accident, but then being able to control the chaos afterward. It's still a rush every time I land a big combo. That, coupled with the promise of new music tracks and skins the higher I progress, has made Lumines my favorite launch title. So damn addictive.

But yeah, it's an acquired taste.

DarienA said:

its your old people pants.

shpankey

not an idiot

Heh, I know what you mean. The hype for it here is insane. Yet even though the hype got to me enough to make me consider the game, after looking at a few vids, I knew it wasn't for me. My wife would probably like it though, as she enjoys Tetris. I'm hoping the price comes down on the game before her birthday on 4/30 so I can pick it up for her.

I can't see paying more than $19 for it though.

Bat

Quick question: I'm gonna get my screen protector sometime this week but the screen is already attracting a little dirt etc. on it. What's the best way to completely clean the screen so it looks perfect before I put the protector on it? The micro fiber cloth won't cut it.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Dunk it in water then blowdry it...the screen protector that is. :)

Gamestop sold a really nice rag-in-a-bag for $.99 which does a much better job at wiping the screen than the cloth the PSP comes with.

Shompola

Banned
Bat said:
Quick question: I'm gonna get my screen protector sometime this week but the screen is already attracting a little dirt etc. on it. What's the best way to completely clean the screen so it looks perfect before I put the protector on it? The micro fiber cloth won't cut it.

tape with mild adhesive will do the trick.

The more I play Lumines the more I think I should've waited for a price drop before even considering picking it up. 40 bucks is just way too much for something like this. Sure it's fun (or at least as fun as these falling block puzzle games get) and the music is absolutely amazing, but this just isn't for me. After getting a score of 29,000 something I decided to check out PSP Vault and download a save file (I know, weak sauce) to get a look at some of the other skins and listen to the incredible music but in the end it was still the same game in a different wrapper. And isn't there a game on MSN Games that is the exact same thing as Lumines (minus the great music of course)? I swear I've played a bastard child of it over there before.

I should've picked up God of War.

Pimpwerx

Got to play a PSP for the first time today. Never saw one before. That screen is indeed beautiful. Fucking sweet, and I didn't even see it on the brightest setting. Didn't bother asking what setting it was on, but it was plenty sharp and bright. Played a race of Ridge Racers. I hate the series, and this game is no exception. But the graphics are to be somewhat commended. The one track I played looked great. Early PS2 stuff there. Just amazing for a handheld.

That screen had me grinning the whole time I was playing. :D I didn't hear the audio much, and didn't care. The analog nub felt fine, but could indeed use more resistance. Very nice design. Didn't use the square button much, and don't really care. This little device is mighty impressive. It was interesting listening to my friends discuss the price. We all agreed it was be a steal at 150-200, but at 250, the price was really just for real enthusiasts. The UMDs are awesome, and it would be really nice to have one of these machines. But until they lower the price...fuck 'em. ;) When you see it in person, you understand why the competition should be worried. PEACE.

I just got my PSP today. There's plenty around the Atlanta area. I bought the system and Lumines at EB then had to go hunting for Ridge Racer (which I guess is selling great). All 4 stores I went to had PSPs there. I found Ridge Racer at Sears of all places. I do have 2 dead pixels. The guy at EB told me they wouldn't exchange dead pixel PSPs (Which he kept calling pixelation problems and I did correct him on it. Idiot.) so I guess I have to live with them. They're not so bad though. I can't even notice them while playing. I can see them while playing videos though. Not that I'm going to be watching anything but po.. anime videos that won't reach that end of the screen anyway. :lol Every store was out of Dark Stalkers. :( I think I'm going to buy DarkStalkers and WipeOut Pure during the upcoming drought and I guess Ape Escape if it lasts too long.

aoi tsuki

Lumines is a game i liked the second i started playing, and fell in love with it when i got to play it more. i still suck at it (i got 40k today... finally), but i feel myself getting better and faster at it every day that goes by. i'm not a puzzle fan, but it's worth it at $40 given the whole package - graphic, music, gameplay, and presentation. Frankly, the soundtrack is worth it at half the price, in my opinion of course. :)

Top Bottom