• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The US PSP Launch

Wow. Lots to respond to here. :)

First of all, I've been hearing some people complaining about the sound on their PSP's. Maybe some of them have problems, I don't know, but the sound on mine is plenty loud. When I put on a pair of headphones (A pair of Bose), it sounds incredilbe, and I can't even turn it up all the way or it'll actually bother my ears. Without the headphones on, I usually have it turned down fairly low as I'm often conversing with others while playing. When it's turned down like that, I miss certain aspects of the sound, but I still get good, quality sound out of the sytem. If I turn it up I get nice sound out of the speakers, although it is a bit tinny. I have no problems at all with my PSP's sound.

I have also found myself playing my PSP at home a lot. My other consoles and PC are in a different room, so when I go to play, I am off by myself. But I can sit on the couch, next to my girlfriend, and chat, watch TV, etc. while I'm playing. I'm loving that so far. It obviously won't replace my consoles, especially when the Xbox 2 and PS3 come out in a few months, but it's a nice alternative.

quetz67: I agree with you that there are other devices available that are better at playing MP3's and media files. I have the Archos AV420 and overall, it's a much better media player then the PSP. But the PSP screen is a lot nicer then AV420, let alone the Archos unit you posted. As for a portable game machine, the PSP isn't even challenged right now. Is $250 too much? Maybe, although a lot of people here, me included, think it's worth every penny. We don't know that Sony is "having problems" with the launch just yet. Plenty of systems have sold, and even the mainstream media is hawking the PSP as the must have gadget of the year. Lets wait for the sales numbers to come in before we declare the launch a "problem". Are there units still available? Yes. But 1 million units is a lot to sell through in a short time. Anyone who thought that all of those units would be sold out in the first weekend was kidding themselves. And anyone who thinks that because they didn't sell out, the PSP is in trouble, is also kidding themselves. What system has ever sold 1 million units in the first week of launch?

I'm an adult who likes to play video games and has the money to spend on them. The PSP is perfect for me, and I think you'll find a lot of other satisfied GAF buyers as well.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Enlighten us, borghe. The screenshots don't communicate to me that the PSP is clearly not "anywhere near a console game". Don't overcompensate for the people you perceive to be overemphasizing PSP's visual capabilities.

Unison

borghe said:
They don't come anywhere near a console game though, and hence I don't feel deserve console type prices (hardware and software).

That's actually a valid point. The higher prices for software probably aren't justified at all.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The games look gorgeous, for handheld games. They don't come anywhere near a console game though, and hence I don't feel deserve console type prices (hardware and software).
One thing is that you have to take into account the size of the display. The density of visuals on smaller screens helps. Also, we can cue in the worst/best screen comparisions till' the day is done,

(here's one, ha-ha, and remember, we are arguing "nowhere near" here)

wf_screen004.jpg

wipeout-pure-20050125072047111.jpg

but Wipeout on PS2 just doesn't look all that impressive (and running in half frame buffer mode doesn't help it's case). In case of RR, there are definitely material technical aspects where RR on PSP looks even better than RRV. Not in all aspects mind you, but in some it does. Even though right now PSP visuals are perhaps more like Dreamcast than PS2 level, I wouldn't say Dreamcast was "nowhere near" the PS2.

They don't come anywhere near a console game though, and hence I don't feel deserve console type prices (hardware and software).
Graphics aside, Wipeout and RR on PSP are the most complete, most developed games in their franchizes. Why don't you feel justified paying for that?

quetz67

Banned
Kung Fu...I just wanted to show a portable media player isnt necessarily $500-$600. Those media jukeboxes are cheaper and portable DVD players are a lot cheaper.

But many want to give the impression PSP is the perfect gaming machine plus perfect media and MP3 player. Gaming machine - yes, but for MP3 or movies I prefer other stuff.

When it comes to adualt and (portable) gaming, sure, who posts on the GAF plays a lot and many of those will or have bought a PSP.

But in general I would say, with age personal preferences change and I believe not in favour of portable gaming. Driving to school sure is different from going to or coming from work. Many adults either either use the time to work or just to relax listening to music or just reading.

That may not be true for all, but honestly I dont see millions of adults playing PSP or watching movies on train (neither on PSP nor on other players). We will see if I am right, but I think the main target audience for PSP are kids with enough time (and for now) money on their hands.

Fair enough. I agree with you that the PSP isn't the best media player available. We had a discussion about this a few pages back, and I don't see the PSP ever replacing the Archos AV420 for me, as the Archos just has too many advantages over the PSP, but to be fair it is a dedicated media player. There were a few others though who thought that the screen on the PSP was just so much better that the Archos wouldn't due, even though it had 20 times the storage and far more versitility, for not a whole lot more money.

It is true that we get a little skewed here being the "hardcore" gamers and forget about the mainstream at times. That said, the PSP does have a lot of mainstream appeal. It really is a slick machine, but the price will have to come down some for the mainstream to adopt it. On the other hand, the iPod didn't get mainstream appeal for a couple of years. It took time to build the brand, and build the demand. The PSP may go that route as well, although Sony isn't starting from scratch the way Apple was. There is a market for the PSP, plenty of people will want it. But like all things, it's not going to appeal to everyone.

cvxfreak

Stores around the Bay Area seem to be sold out, so I had to order mine from fye.com. Oh well, I'll just keep myself company with my Japanese PSP. :)

quetz67

Banned
Just one more thing many seem to misunderstand. iPod is a huge success, but we are talking about an order of magnitude difference compared to PS/PS2 or GB/GBA sales.

Selling as many PSPs as iPods really isnt enough to compete with the Nintendo handheld empire.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Marconelly said:
One thing is that you have to take into account the size of the display. The density of visuals on smaller screens helps.

That is an excellent point, and it is true that you don't need the same kind of density in visuals to accomplish the same effect on the smaller screen.. HOWEVER, that brings up my exact point. If you aren't using the same height of visuals.. the same number of polys and same number or quality of textures, etc.. then why the hell are we paying the same damn price for the games when they are (in theory) cheaper to make (fewer assets)?

Marconelly said:
Also, we can cue in the worst/best screen comparisions till' the day is done,
I apologize. I didn't feel my pictures were an unfair comparison. I specifically took similar screenshots as best as I could.. obviously unless there are the exact same tracks and cars between both games it will be impossible to compare A/B graphics.. I just took similar enough instances where we could raw some kind of conclusion. Though I really feel looking through the archives at IGN or Gamespot and it is evidenced that there is a definite lower quality on Wipeout. And that is comparing arguably the best game on the PSP to a PS2 game 3 years old.

Marconelly said:
but Wipeout on PS2 just doesn't look all that impressive (and running in half frame buffer mode doesn't help it's case). In case of RR, there are definitely material technical aspects where RR on PSP looks even better than RRV. Not in all aspects mind you, but in some it does. Even though right now PSP visuals are perhaps more like Dreamcast than PS2 level, I wouldn't say Dreamcast was "nowhere near" the PS2.
Wipeout on the PS2 is also 3 years old. In the case of RR.. unfortunately I have never been an RR fan so I can't comment at all aside from the fact that RRV is 5 years old... As to saying the graphics are comparable to the dreamcast.. Yeah, I can live with that, though I think in most instances that I have seen the DC still beats the PSP. And no, I don't think aside from a handful of games that the DC looked comparable to the PS2. Part of the thing with the DC is that it is very sweetened by nostalgia because let's face it.. the system freaking ruled... but going back and playing some of my games on it it is clear that compared to the PS2 it was lacking, and compared to the GCN and XBox we are talking pretty close to a generational leap. IMHO of course.

Marconelly said:
Graphics aside, Wipeout and RR on PSP are the most complete, most developed games in their franchizes. Why don't you feel justified paying for that?
this actually segues into what Will Wright was talking about with Spores. The greatest cost in gaming is art. Most games on non-art detail have a handful of programmers at most. The majority of cost and talent comes in the form of art. Whether in game art, cutscenes, whatever. If it wasn't for the increase in art costs over the years we probably wouldn't be paying $50 a game on a console (and $60 next gen). So I guess the best way to put it is being a matter of principle. While the games may be the pinnacle of their respective series', paying full console price for a graphically scaled back version (so to speak) is hard to swallow.

Now let me also add to this that I don't necessarily think the PSP prices suck and should die. As I said.. $40 is what many GBA games started at and DS games (IIRC). My problem is that some games are $50, and wondering if/when prices will drop to typical handheld type prices.

But this is a to each their own type of thing. You guys think it is worth it to pay $40-50 for a handheld game of PSP caliber.. I wonder why I am paying the same price, or more, for a handheld game when I can get a better looking and possibly fuller experience from one on a regular console... oh well.. just talking rhetoric.

quetz67 said:
Just one more thing many seem to misunderstand. iPod is a huge success, but we are talking about an order of magnitude difference compared to PS/PS2 or GB/GBA sales.

Selling as many PSPs as iPods really isnt enough to compete with the Nintendo handheld empire.

I completely understand that. The only real comparison between the two are the sleek, must have gadget nature of both. The iPod does appeal to a much larger audience in the sense that everyone I know listens to music, but not even close to everyone I know likes games.

On the other hand, we can't continue to focus on "Nintendo's handheld empire" as this is really the beginning of a new generation. The first real competition that Nintendo has had in years. Yes the GB/GBA/SP has sold a ton of systems over the years. In fact, the Gameboy is the most successful system ever in terms of sales. But as in the home consoles, each new generation is a fresh start, and the PSP will certainly make it's mark in this generations sales. GBA-SP sales are starting to slow down, as is development of games. The race right now is between the DS and the PSP. Eventually it will be PSP and GBA2. Nintendo has a lead in mindshare of course, but Sony has been down this road before as well. I would never discount Nintendo and their long track record in portables, but I also wouldn't bank on it too heavily either. It's a new geneation of systems and a new competition.

Alex

Yeah, I read it, but I think I'm more confused than prior. Oh well, judging by the Q&A, people seem to dig that crazy, crazy Red Dragon.

Looks like Viewtiful Joe to me.

Miburou

I totally agree. PSP games at $50 is total bullshit. I'm okay with $40, eventhough I think $35 is the right price. Handheld games shouldn't be the same price as console games. And what's funny is that in Japan PSP games are much lower than PS2 games, so it's only in NA where some 3rd parties are ripping consumers off. Hopefully it's just a temporary thing.

There's something wrong when a PSP game is cheaper in Japan.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
I own no $49.99 PSP games. The only $49.99 PSP game is our house is the one the missus bought... and going forward I'd have to think REALLY hard about purchasing a $49.99 PSP game...(one of the reasons NFSUR won't be showing up in my house anytime soon).

Miburou

I found Wipeout Pure for $50 Canadian, but both EB and Futureshop had MGA at $60, but amazon had it for $50 so I got it from them. I won't pay more than $50 CDN for any PSP game.

borghe

to be fair, the only $50USD games are EA, Activision, and Koei.. and it isn't unexpected.. The best we can do is speak with our wallets and tell those ass clowns that we aren't paying $50 for a handheld game.

borghe said:
That is an excellent point, and it is true that you don't need the same kind of density in visuals to accomplish the same effect on the smaller screen.. HOWEVER, that brings up my exact point. If you aren't using the same height of visuals.. the same number of polys and same number or quality of textures, etc.. then why the hell are we paying the same damn price for the games when they are (in theory) cheaper to make (fewer assets)?

this actually segues into what Will Wright was talking about with Spores. The greatest cost in gaming is art. Most games on non-art detail have a handful of programmers at most. The majority of cost and talent comes in the form of art. Whether in game art, cutscenes, whatever. If it wasn't for the increase in art costs over the years we probably wouldn't be paying $50 a game on a console (and $60 next gen). So I guess the best way to put it is being a matter of principle. While the games may be the pinnacle of their respective series', paying full console price for a graphically scaled back version (so to speak) is hard to swallow.

Now let me also add to this that I don't necessarily think the PSP prices suck and should die. As I said.. $40 is what many GBA games started at and DS games (IIRC). My problem is that some games are $50, and wondering if/when prices will drop to typical handheld type prices.

But this is a to each their own type of thing. You guys think it is worth it to pay $40-50 for a handheld game of PSP caliber.. I wonder why I am paying the same price, or more, for a handheld game when I can get a better looking and possibly fuller experience from one on a regular console... oh well.. just talking rhetoric.

So if art is the most costly aspect of the game development, and that's your crutch to how much you should pay for a game, then you don't have a problem if next generation games cost say $70 to $80? Obviously a lot more art is being generated here compared to current generation games at $40 to $50. Thus more art, means higher price. While I think $50 games for a portable system seems high, I think if they get the content and lastability up with a console game, it would be worth the $50. Tony Hawk Underground 2 Remix is a perfect example. It has just about all the content of the console version plus 4 additional levels. 4 levels is a lot considering the original had 12. Ridge Racer at $39.99 was worth it because it had more gameplay to it than Ridge Racer 5. The game lasted 15 to 20 hours which is the length of a normal console game. I'm happy to pay console game prices if I'm getting console level experiences out of them.

borghe

Marty Chinn said:
So if art is the most costly aspect of the game development, and that's your crutch to how much you should pay for a game, then you don't have a problem if next generation games cost say $70 to $80? Obviously a lot more art is being generated here compared to current generation games at $40 to $50. Thus more art, means higher price. While I think $50 games for a portable system seems high, I think if they get the content and lastability up with a console game, it would be worth the $50. Tony Hawk Underground 2 Remix is a perfect example. It has just about all the content of the console version plus 4 additional levels. 4 levels is a lot considering the original had 12. Ridge Racer at $39.99 was worth it because it had more gameplay to it than Ridge Racer 5. The game lasted 15 to 20 hours which is the length of a normal console game. I'm happy to pay console game prices if I'm getting console level experiences out of them.
If you quote me, quote all within context. No I don't think it is worth paying even $60 for a console game. That is why I referred to Will Wright's presentation on procedural coding and alterative ways to offsetting the desire for more and better graphics.

As to paying full price for a similar experience, all of the levels and longevity in a title do not a similar experience make. On a home console I am getting more detailed graphics, playing on a 55" HDTV and a Denon AVR-3805 receiver. I am using a wireless controller and sitting a good 7'+ back from the screen and am enveloped by sound. Not only that but I usually have FMV cutscenes, Dolby Digital audio, VoIP for communicating in game, etc. Not even close to the same experience.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I just don't think that the amount of art assets is something that justifies the price of game to me, even though it may be where the bulk of the hit on development is. To me it matters how much I enjoy the game while I'm playing it. That's really the only thing.

If you apply the same logic to movies, we should be paying more for DVDs and movie tickets for movies filled with special effects and explosions no matter how crappy said movies are, while some brilliant movies with no visual effects and low budget would not be worth buying for the same price.

Even if you want to break it down like that, I still think that at least some PSP games deserve to be the same price as their console counterparts. As I've said, RR has more assets to it than any RR before it, allows for 8 player multiplayer (which none of the previous installments did), has several very high quality FMVs, bunch of music in the soundtrack, etc.

borghe

you keep arguing with a strawman here. Graphics are only a part of it, and I don't feel that great graphics make a console game worth $60+. It is great that a game is fun and all, but my point is that playing a handheld is not the same as playing a console. my neck is hunched, I am staring into a tiny screen, and I have headphones on or am listening to sound through a tinny speaker. realistic specs for the system are less than a system I am paying $40-50 for games on now, and likely I will be paying $50 for many games in a year for systems that blow the PSP out of the water.

I realize it is all based on opinion and preference, but I feel that people who feel this lesser experience is worth the same price of admission as its big brother consoles will be in the majority. I feel that if Sony doesn't work to drop the process rapidly on both hardware and software, we will face a situation not unlike the TurboExpress and the Gameboy... The TurboExpress was unquestionably a better system and you could even take your home console games with you to boot... but it was a hell of a lot more than the Gameboy and it caused many people to ask why are they paying home console prices for a handheld system, even if the system could provide home console (or in the PSP's case near home console) level gameplay.

borghe said:
you keep arguing with a strawman here. Graphics are only a part of it, and I don't feel that great graphics make a console game worth $60+. It is great that a game is fun and all, but my point is that playing a handheld is not the same as playing a console. my neck is hunched, I am staring into a tiny screen, and I have headphones on or am listening to sound through a tinny speaker. realistic specs for the system are less than a system I am paying $40-50 for games on now, and likely I will be paying $50 for many games in a year for systems that blow the PSP out of the water.

I realize it is all based on opinion and preference, but I feel that people who feel this lesser experience is worth the same price of admission as its big brother consoles will be in the majority. I feel that if Sony doesn't work to drop the process rapidly on both hardware and software, we will face a situation not unlike the TurboExpress and the Gameboy... The TurboExpress was unquestionably a better system and you could even take your home console games with you to boot... but it was a hell of a lot more than the Gameboy and it caused many people to ask why are they paying home console prices for a handheld system, even if the system could provide home console (or in the PSP's case near home console) level gameplay.

I just don't see it as a lesser experience. They both fulfill different needs in the same industry. Its like saying that air travel is somehow better than driving a car IMO.

If the game gives me the fun I'm looking for Ill buy it.

Art in games is a rather tricky thing. When it's done well, we really don't notice it that much, but if it's done poorly, or is very repetitive, then we all complain about how bad it looks. As games have gotten more complex, and will continue to do so, the amount of art has naturally increased. We want better more realistic worlds, so we need more art in general, and at a higher resolution. That's why art has become the most expensive part of games, and is often a reason that games get delayed. It takes time to crank out all that art, and even more time to create really good art.

Tabris

Okay, I need some help. I asked this question a couple times.

What's a good screen protector that I can buy at a B&M store in Canada?

If you don't know that, what's a good and fast shipping screen protector than I can buy on the web for no more than 15 CDN?

borghe

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Art in games is a rather tricky thing. When it's done well, we really don't notice it that much, but if it's done poorly, or is very repetitive, then we all complain about how bad it looks. As games have gotten more complex, and will continue to do so, the amount of art has naturally increased. We want better more realistic worlds, so we need more art in general, and at a higher resolution. That's why art has become the most expensive part of games, and is often a reason that games get delayed. It takes time to crank out all that art, and even more time to create really good art.
I understand that, however in the end one has to ask if it is really worth it.. If I am paying $60-70 for a console game, or $40-50 for a handheld game, for me the answer is an unhesitating no.

and krypt0nian - that is a copout answer. everyone has a price limit. that is like saying you know Steel Batallion will be fun, so it is worth the $200. Heck , I know a Virtua Fighter 4 arcade machine will be fun, so is that worth $10,000? But the fact remains that the games are fun, and fun is arguably unquantifiable, so we have to impose some sort of artificial restriction on what we are willing to pay.

Now in my case, this is a portable. It will be played on a small screen with some headphones, probably hunched over and probably only on a drive to somewhere, maybe on lunch at work if the game is really good. I probably won't put 4-5 hours sessions in on a game because... well, I am watching it on a small screen with headphones and likely hunched over.

So a game that by the nature of the system it is on I will be playing for limited amounts of time and won't be anywhere near as comfortable as playing on a normal console. To me, I don't care how deep the game is, that hardly sounds like the same value as a full blown console game that is playing on a Dolby Digital setup and a 55" HDTV. One that I can lay back on the couch with a wireless controller and play for 8-10 hours.

like I said, different strokes for different floks, that is just my humble opinion. All I am saying in these past few posts is that if sony doesn't lower their prices (which no inclination has been given one way or the other) and the majority of gamers feel this way also (which I wonder if they do), then Sony is in for a bumpy ride.

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
Tabris said:
Okay, I need some help. I asked this question a couple times.

What's a good screen protector that I can buy at a B&M store in Canada?

If you don't know that, what's a good and fast shipping screen protector than I can buy on the web for no more than 15 CDN?
I'm not sure if they have them in Canada, but I'm using a screen protector by Hori. It cost me $5 USD at EB and comes with a cleaning rag. Instructions are easy to use and the screen itself works just fine. It leaves no residue when taking it off the PSP and clearing dust is simple using scotch tape.

I wish Hori would hurry and release their UMD slip cases stateside. I've been able to find them for a good price online, but when you start to factor in shipping fees... it starts to suck. I'm almost about to go to the nearest convenience store to buy some altoids just so I can use the tin to store my UMDs. :lol

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
borghe said:
this actually segues into what Will Wright was talking about with Spores. The greatest cost in gaming is art. Most games on non-art detail have a handful of programmers at most. The majority of cost and talent comes in the form of art. Whether in game art, cutscenes, whatever. If it wasn't for the increase in art costs over the years we probably wouldn't be paying $50 a game on a console (and $60 next gen).
Having most art in a game be 'emergent' vs. pre-planned, doesn't guarantee that any cost savings achieved get translated to the MSRP on the box and passed on to the consumer. Publishers will still look at procedurally generated art as their art and will still present the value proposition for their games based on the entire package and how they think it bests what came before it. In a similar fashion, plenty of devs/pubs use middleware this gen to reduce costs and yet we still see middleware-based games being released at the same prices as 'from the ground up' games.

You've also got to realize that there isn't going to be anytime soon where most games can shift primarily to procedurally generated art. Any game that wants to go for authenticity with real world objects/architecture/locales/environments or create a specific look and aesthetic is going to need hand-drawn art more than procedurally generated.

Tabris

Laguna X said:
I'm not sure if they have them in Canada, but I'm using a screen protector by Hori. It cost me $5 USD at EB and comes with a cleaning rag. Instructions are easy to use and the screen itself works just fine. It leaves no residue when taking it off the PSP and clearing dust is simple using scotch tape.

My local EB isn't carrying it :(

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
borghe said:
...my neck is hunched, I am staring into a tiny screen, and I have headphones on or am listening to sound through a tinny speaker.
But none of that is the result of the game content itself, just the hardware it happens to play on.

borghe

kaching said:
But none of that is the result of the game content itself, just the hardware it happens to play on.
true, but the publisher knows what platform they are releasing a game on. I am not going to pay $50 for a game, even if it has the same gameplay and play options of its big console brother, on a handheld because I won't play it as much partly due to ergonomics. Less play time for me means less I am willing to spend on the game. Like I said, if others feel this way, publishers will have to do something about their pricing. If I am just being an overly dramatic baby about this, well, then I guess I better either suck it up and keep paying $50 for each handheld game or get out of handheld gaming. Only time will tell.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Alex said:
I don't use a screen protector! I'm crazy like that!

Me neither, and my PSP looks perfect. It's a lot less delicate that I was led to believe. I DO wrap something over the screen when I place it in the included case, though.

akascream

Banned
Heh, I don't get it. Lumines completely consumed my weekend, but it should cost less cause it could be done pretty faithfully on the GBA.

Graphics > *.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
akascream said:
Heh, I don't get it. Lumines completely consumed my weekend, but it should cost less cause it could be done pretty faithfully on the GBA.

Graphics > *.

I really wonder how well the GBA would pull it off...

The visuals wouldn't be a problem (though they'd be lower in resolution), but the audio seems like it might be. I've NEVER heard audio of this quality in a GBA title. The interactive, high-quality music of Lumines has never been done on the GBA. Without a dedicated sound chip, I'm not so sure it would handle it too well. The DS could probably do much better, with cart size being the only issue. Still, even the DS has yet to provide really high quality music in a game (it generally sounds like N64). I know Meteos on the DS (also from Q Entertainment) has low quality music...

The music is pretty important to the Lumines experience, so reducing it to N64-ish MIDI would really hurt.

akascream

Banned
dark10x said:

The visuals wouldn't be a problem (though they'd be lower in resolution), but the audio seems like it might be. I've NEVER heard audio of this quality in a GBA title. The interactive, high-quality music of Lumines has never been done on the GBA. Without a dedicated sound chip, I'm not so sure it would handle it too well. The DS could probably do much better, with cart size being the only issue. Still, even the DS has yet to provide really high quality music in a game (it generally sounds like N64). I know Meteos on the DS (also from Q Entertainment) has low quality music...

The music is pretty important to the Lumines experience, so reducing it to N64-ish MIDI would really hurt.

I'm not trying to downplay the technical merits of lumines, but the notion that graphics alone should dictate cost.

I do think a pretty faithful port could be done though, simply because it is a 2D puzzle game. But yeah, there would have to be compromises.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
borghe said:
true, but the publisher knows what platform they are releasing a game on. I am not going to pay $50 for a game, even if it has the same gameplay and play options of its big console brother, on a handheld because I won't play it as much partly due to ergonomics. Less play time for me means less I am willing to spend on the game. Like I said, if others feel this way, publishers will have to do something about their pricing. If I am just being an overly dramatic baby about this, well, then I guess I better either suck it up and keep paying $50 for each handheld game or get out of handheld gaming. Only time will tell.
The ergonomics for playing a handheld gaming are no different than reading a book for me. For console games, I have a similar HD+surround home theater setup as you do but I don't see that the ergonomics are actually that much better than the best they can be when reading a book or playing a handheld game. After an extended period of concentrated attention on any of the three, I'm still likely to end up with some stiffness from being in one position for too long and some level of eye fatigue, regardless of which we're talking about.

So while I respect that you've made it clear that your opinions reflect your personal preferences, I don't really think you've established the repertoire with handheld gaming to extend that opinion beyond yourself too much.

Miburou

You know there's a reason why PSP games in Japan are generally cheaper than PS2 games, and that most PSP games are $40. That alone should tell you that it's not generally accepted that handheld games should cost the same as console games.

Handheld gaming for me will always be an inferior experience to playing on a console. And it's not just because of the hardware. Handheld games generally do not have the same production values as console games. Marco likes to repeat how RR and Wipeout are superior to their PS2 counterparts, but RRV was a launch title, and you can bet that a PS2 sequel would've had far more content. And Wipeout Fusion wasn't that well received. And you can also bet that were Lumines to be released on the PS2, that it wouldn't be sold at $50, either.

teepo

wipeout fusion looks better then pure guys... sorry. it also has a 16x9 mode which makes it look even better. pure does have much better track designs, art style and a much much much cleaner look though.

Okay, so I have not been hyped for PSP at all, dont really care for handheld gaming in general, but a friend that works at EB brought his PSP to class today and I now HAVE to buy one. He had Tiger Woods which was awesome IMO but what really sealed the deal was when he showed me Spider-Man 2. The picture quality was unbelievable and I was just dumbfounded. The only thing that worries me was the dead pixel issue, my friend says that 10 PSP's had been returned for dead pixels. Will future generations of the PSP fix this issue or is it going to be going on forever?

Just my two cents.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Property of Microsoft said:
Okay, so I have not been hyped for PSP at all, dont really care for handheld gaming in general, but a friend that works at EB brought his PSP to class today and I now HAVE to buy one. He had Tiger Woods which was awesome IMO but what really sealed the deal was when he showed me Spider-Man 2. The picture quality was unbelievable and I was just dumbfounded. The only thing that worries me was the dead pixel issue, my friend says that 10 PSP's had been returned for dead pixels. Will future generations of the PSP fix this issue or is it going to be going on forever?

Just my two cents.

For the 100millionth time. Go to the store you are interested in buying a PSP from, ASK them, they will probably tell you that they do returns with dead pixels, buy PSP... STFU...

ALL LCD products have the capability to have dead pixels this is not unique to the PSP LCD screen regardless of what anyone tells you.

Hell go to Best Buy and ask one of the TV guys about dead pixels on a large screen LCD TV. I remember when I had that conversation when we first started shopping for a DLP....

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Stupid funny story...

Stopped at two gas stations today. At both places the guy working the register was playing a PSP! haha. At one place it made his service slow. So adults I've seen playing handhelds outside a gamestore in my life: PSP +2, Gameboy Line 0.

akascream

Banned
DarienA said:
For the 100millionth time. Go to the store you are interested in buying a PSP from, ASK them, they will probably tell you that they do returns with dead pixels, buy PSP... STFU...

ALL LCD products have the capability to have dead pixels this is not unique to the PSP LCD screen regardless of what anyone tells you.

Hell go to Best Buy and ask one of the TV guys about dead pixels on a large screen LCD TV. I remember when I had that conversation when we first started shopping for a DLP....

Yeah, I stood there and opened my PSP at the cash register. No dead pixels, and if there were, they told me they'd exchange it.

In fact, all the merchants I've asked said of course they would take units back if there were dead pixels.

Even the DS has some dead pixels if I can recall.

sound on mine is plenty loud

With the earbuds that came standard, the sound is great. Without the buds, the sound is pretty bad. At DS level in my opinion which means its good, but not great by any means.

PSP games at $50 is total bullshit

It is. The best thing to do for $50 games is to wait a few weeks later when Target will have them on sale, usually for $37.88 or some other weird amount that comes to less than $40, like most high profile $50 games do. That or get a mint yet used copy of the game for $20-30. EA, Koei, and any other jacktools that think they can get away with $50 for a game can fuck off. $40 is the highest I'll go.

I'm happy to pay console game prices if I'm getting console level experiences out of them.

Exactly. The PSP is really a mini console. I guess the GBA can be argued as a mini SNES but in many ways, it was worse than the SNES. The PSP is the first truly advanced portable gaming machine. Maybe there's more costs to where $40 is justified? Lumines is as addicting as hell and only gets more fun as you dig deeper into the game. Ridge Racer is one hell of a racing game. Probably the best arcade racing game ever...that you can take wherever you want. These games are worth their high price tags.

No I don't think it is worth paying even $60 for a console game

Well, better get used to it because there's a 99% chance that it will become the standard or at least very common.

my neck is hunched

Mine isn't when I'm playing.

Some of the backgrounds are pretty high quality images. Most of the time, I think it could be done perfectly. Some levels, no. It would be a neutered port since music is a significant part of the game.

Today in the gym, my stupid ass CD player stopped working so I brought my PSP with a memory stick of an album with Atrac3 and Spiderman 2. It was awesome. When I get my screen protector, I'm probably going to lug it around in my pocket between classes to listen to music. PSP continues to wow me and everyone else that happens to come across it.

Top Bottom