• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The verge: I used a Mercedes-Benz as a Mario Kart (SuperTuxKart) controller, and it was amazing.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/27/18243256/mario-kart-mercedes-benz-daimler-driving-game-mwc-2019

The whizz-kids at Daimler Research Group have done something that’s equal parts silly and ingenious: they’ve adapted a version of Mario Kart (the open-source SuperTuxKart) to work on the MBUX infotainment system of a Mercedes-Benz CLA. It plays the game on the screen to the right of the driver, who can control it with the car’s steering wheel and pedals. The interior lighting system activates in sync with the starting signals in the game, the seatbelt tightens anytime you crash in the game, and the air conditioning blows cool air at you with an intensity matched to your speed in the game.

The game’s frame rate isn’t perfect, and by the time I got to Daimler’s MWC booth, the seatbelt integration wasn’t working, but what I saw felt so obviously great that I question why it’s not been done before.

Over the course of a couple of races, I adjusted to the game’s sensitivity to my turns of the steering wheel, and with the gear-changing paddles serving as controller buttons, I was able to even do a bit of drifting and sabotage some poor souls racing ahead of me. There was a sense of real achievement when I was able to string together a few turns at maximum speed without slamming into a wall or a banana skin.

Nintendo and Mercedes-Benz are familiar with each other, having previously partnered on putting a Mercedes in Mario Kart. Now they’re just reversing the process by putting Mario Kart into a Mercedes. The wild thing is just how good this implementation is, after a mere three weeks of development. Sascha Pallenberg, former tech blogger and current Head of Digital Transformation at Daimler, tells me that the CLA has basically the same Nvidia hardware as the Nintendo Switch, and so Daimler decided to have a little fun with it. He describes it as “the world’s fastest Nintendo Switch,” and I can’t argue with that.

Breakage

Reminds me of this:
dsc_0001-min.jpg

Shagger

Banned
I wish Nintendo would learn from Mercedes build quality.

I dunno, Mercedes are probably the least reputable German car maker for build quality. Oh, what am I saying, that's STILL better than anything Japan has put out!

Last edited:

Shifty

Really neat idea. What better controller than one that already has everything you need?

Talk about being a fun toy for the 1% though :messenger_tears_of_joy:

petran79

Banned
I dunno, Mercedes are probably the least reputable German car maker for build quality. Oh, what am I saying, that's STILL better than anything Japan has put out!

Not a coincidence that even Japan manufacture their cars in Germany. My friend had a Toyta Corolla, a used card imported from Germany with just 2000 km. Despite his neglect and misuse (our roads suck), the poor thing lasted. It shred his heart when he had to sell it for scrap to get a knew car

Top Bottom