• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct |OT|

duckroll

First point worth making: it is more fun than it looks. Watching a stream is not the same.

The zombie AI is what you'd expect from a real zombie. They are aggressive, but can be tricked by throwing a bottle, flare, etc. I like that if they know you're in a room, you can sneak out a different way, come up behind them while they're banging on it, and kill them from behind. Once a few of them are chasing you, you're pretty screwed. 1-3 isn't too bad, in terms of fighting or escaping. Once 4+ start chasing you, the others that see them join the herd. Standing and fighting will be impossible with melee weapons at this point, and firing guns at them will lure in more of them. You can NOT play this game guns blazing. Fortunately, the stealth mechanics work well enough to keep it fun.

So what you're saying is this video isn't accurate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC-HBQbeLgU

Because that goes against everything you said about the AI. :p

That videos pretty funny but I've never seen them act like that. Generally when they see you they go straight for you. I have noticed them moving strangely on their own before, when they haven't been alerted yet. It's like there are certain parts of the levels where the zombies really want to be and if you kill one there another will wander over to takes its place- even if its just standing in a corner looking at a wall.

I'm on act 3 and despite the games flaws I'm still really enjoying it. The crossbow and the sledgehammers are game changers once you get them.

Strangely enough I've only run into two survivors so far and one I had to leave behind because there was no room in the Jeep for them. :(

ElRenoRaven

That videos pretty funny but I've never seen them act like that. Generally when they see you they go straight for you. I have noticed them moving strangely on their own before, when they haven't been alerted yet. It's like there are certain parts of the levels where the zombies really want to be and if you kill one there another will wander over to takes its place- even if its just standing in a corner looking at a wall.

I'm on act 3 and despite the games flaws I'm still really enjoying it. The crossbow and the sledgehammers are game changers once you get them.

Strangely enough I've only run into two survivors so far and one I had to leave behind because there was no room in the Jeep for them. :(

Good to hear. Sadly my Toys R Us preorder is taking forever to get here. From what I've seen having watched all the gameplay now out there I think It's actually going to surprise me and be fun. It's amazing to think I'm thinking that now. I went from expecting total shit to actually expecting a fun but very very very flawed game that obviously needed a bigger budget and more time. Hopefully Activision will let them do a sequel and actually give them time. Some of the ideas in this game look fun. I like the idea of branching paths in the story and the survivor management. I like that you can break down and have to scavenge stuff to fix vehicle or gather stuff. It's like Oregon trail meats Zombie apocalypse. I like the lack of regenning health too. I actually miss that now days.

mujun

This game is tense! Between the music, the level design and the combat mechanics this game can get pretty intense. I think that the comparisons to Zombi U are quite apt.

The fact that it was rushed is pretty damned plain to see, though. A lack of variety in assets, bad graphics, etc.

I'm enjoying it and haven't noticed any weird stuff with the zombie AI (I've only played for about 2 hours). If they have their back to you you can creep up to them and execute them. They wander around pretty aimlessly and if they see you they run at you. That is about the extent of the AI I've encountered.

I don't like the fact the zombies respawn, though. I like to take my time and clear all the zombies out but even if you do that you get a zombie or two when you backtrack from where you came from.

Pretty much on par with my thoughts. I love when a video of games comes out showcasing some bad ai and everyone assumes the entire game is like that. Happens all the time. I am having more fun with this and more involved then I was the entire Gears of War Judgement campaign, if that says anything. Gear is leagues better quality, but I'm more into this games campaign then the other.

This game is tense! Between the music, the level design and the combat mechanics this game can get pretty intense. I think that the comparisons to Zombi U are quite apt.

Yep, like a lower budget, and easier verison. :D I loved ZombiU :D Still own it.

JRW

I seem to be slightly enjoying this game despite its flaws, If only the devs were given more time cause you can tell they had good intentions.

Yerolo

I'm still comprehending Total Biscuit comparing the graphics of this title to HL2. HL2 looks absolutely beautiful compared to this and it was made almost 10 years ago.....

Jedi2016

I'm still comprehending Total Biscuit comparing the graphics of this title to HL2. HL2 looks absolutely beautiful compared to this and it was made almost 10 years ago.....
He was referring to texture quality only, which is about right. The art style in HL2 compensated, though.. this one doesn't.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
GiantBomb said:
he thing is, you can see the basic framework of a completely competent zombie game in Survival Instinct. With a stronger budget, more time, and a bit more care and craft, I could almost see this game being good.

Hmmm...

Finally picked up another survivor! I'm guessing some of them must be in the little mid point levels between the story missions, because I I'm almost finished with the game and I've only ever run into three. I know there are more though.

I just had an amazing escape. I was indoors and surrounded by 7 or 8 walkers (they came through a door and I couldn't get away in time.) As they tried to grab me I knifed 4 of them in the head (earning an achievement), then pushed them and ran away a little, turned around, pulled out my pump shotgun and got another couple of them. My health was real low so I ran back into another room, revived myself with a swig of Gatorade and then smashed the heads of the last couple that were following me with my sledgehammer. It was like from a movie.

I know this game is getting a lot of shit for its graphics etc, but man it's awesome if you can let yourself get past that.

ElRenoRaven

So finally I see a commercial for the game tonight during Comic Book Men. Have to say they did a great job with the commercial. Should sell a lot of copies.

I'm doing a one day Redbox rental and will play this tomorrow. I can't go wrong for $2.18, right? Right??!!
I don't think so. Just keep your expectations in check.

I think I'm on the last level. If everything goes well I'll be finishing the game with 3 survivors. Looking through the menus it appears that finishing the game with certain survivors gives you perks of some kind on your next play throughs, like better stealth, melee, speed and strength.

Zukuu

Banned
VQMtvFM.gif

More games need it!

JRW

The game has crashed on me twice in the same spot, In the hospital level there's a point when a scripted zombie attack occurs, all of a sudden there's dozens of them chasing you.

While running away from this horde you fall through the floor and it's shortly after the game just freezes solid...

I'm able to alt-tab out and End task on the .exe but not sure whats going on, I end up having to start the level over when reloading.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
At least this seems to be a real fully playable video game (bad one maybe but still a real video game) unlike the Telltale awful interactive show.

Why can't The Walking Dead get decent devs and give us a decent game(Dead Island guys can do something decent with it)I guess good TV shows destined to have bad games ,last year Game Of Thrones games was horrible too.

JRW

I'm not sure which fixed my crash issue but I restored default global driver settings in Nvidia control panel and started the game without Fraps running.

I was able to complete the hospital level without crashing (yay).

ElRenoRaven

At least this seems to be a real fully playable video game (bad one maybe but still a real video game) unlike the Telltale awful interactive show.

Why can't The Walking Dead get decent devs and give us a decent game(Dead Island guys can do something decent with it)I guess good TV shows destined to have bad games ,last year Game Of Thrones games was horrible too.

Really? Really? You're going to hate on a game that won several GOTY awards and was universally loved for the most part?

mujun

I personally think that this game has the makings of a good game but wasn't given enough time or resources to quite make it.

I preferred it to Zombi U mainly because I found the combat more enjoyable (and more strategic) and because this game actually regularly threatens you with large groups of zombies that can and will swarm you if you are not careful (only happens in scripted sequences in Zombi U once or twice).

Of course it is very B grade in many ways, animations (zombie reactions to being hit are laughable), graphics, over use of same assets, models (character and other things), etc but despite that manages to really establish tension. It took a lot of time and stocking up of resources for me to feel confident to be able to move through levels faster and take on zombies more directly.

I really like the way the game plays out, especially when you consider all the fps we get these days and the lack of real variety.

First off each area allows you to go wherever you want and contains a lot of stuff to discover if you ignore the compass arrow that points to your objective. Each level is a huge enclosed area but within that you have quite a lot of freedom to climb buildings and go inside many of them.

You visit maybe 10 or so levels and in between you will have to occasionally stop to find a new battery or stock up on fuel (at one of at least 5 random areas so I didn't have to repeat the same area many times despite what others have said) and also get maybe 10 or so chances to stop at places to move cars or stock up on supplies (didn't do this so I'm not sure whether these areas are the same as the above ones or different).

I also think that the combat is quite fun because of the options it offers, you can methodically melee and stealth kill every zombie one by one as to avoid getting rushed, use bottles and the like to distract and sneak by, run and gun (you'll need a shotgun though) or even find high ground and pick the zombies that surround you off one by one with pretty much any gun.

To be clear I think this game deserves something like a 6 out of 10 but I still really enjoyed it despite its very obvious and numerous flaws.

I personally think that this game has the makings of a good game but wasn't given enough time or resources to quite make it.

I preferred it to Zombi U mainly because I found the combat more enjoyable (and more strategic) and because this game actually regularly threatens you with large groups of zombies that can and will swarm you if you are not careful (only happens in scripted sequences in Zombi U once or twice).

Of course it is very B grade in many ways, animations (zombie reactions to being hit are laughable), graphics, over use of same assets, models (character and other things), etc but despite that manages to really establish tension. It took a lot of time and stocking up of resources for me to feel confident to be able to move through levels faster and take on zombies more directly.

I really like the way the game plays out, especially when you consider all the fps we get these days and the lack of real variety.

First off each area allows you to go wherever you want and contains a lot of stuff to discover if you ignore the compass arrow that points to your objective. Each level is a huge enclosed area but within that you have quite a lot of freedom to climb buildings and go inside many of them.

You visit maybe 10 or so levels and in between you will have to occasionally stop to find a new battery or stock up on fuel (at one of at least 5 random areas so I didn't have to repeat the same area many times despite what others have said) and also get maybe 10 or so chances to stop at places to move cars or stock up on supplies (didn't do this so I'm not sure whether these areas are the same as the above ones or different).

I also think that the combat is quite fun because of the options it offers, you can methodically melee and stealth kill every zombie one by one as to avoid getting rushed, use bottles and the like to distract and sneak by, run and gun (you'll need a shotgun though) or even find high ground and pick the zombies that surround you off one by one with pretty much any gun.

To be clear I think this game deserves something like a 6 out of 10 but I still really enjoyed it despite its very obvious and numerous flaws.

Pretty much spot on. I think with longer time and a bigger budget this could have been something really special. As is, it's a niche game that will get a cult following I think. I really enjoy it. It's not that long but gives me incentive to replay to see the levels I missed.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like something I'd give a shot for 5 - 10 quid or so in a Steam sale.

Despite not being in the oven long enough, and Activision obviously being assholes about how they've handled it in just making this thing be churned out so quickly, it still looks like a loooot more fun than that pile of shite Colonial Marines. I don't think I'll be playing a game worse than that this year.

Good analysis mujun. I agree with pretty much all your points.

Just finished the game. The last sequence was... Unfortunate.

Anyone else surprised by the ending? Leaving a lot of room for sequels I guess.
It wasn't so much of a bad ending, as it was just really abrupt. But man I'd love if TR got another crack at another one. If Activision gave them more time and more budget I really think they could do something amazing. As it is I think this game was real solid and gave me more enjoyment than some "AAA" games in recent times.

For those who finished the game what survivors did you have at the end? I had Jane, Sheila and Warren. So on my next playthrough I'm going to have melee boost (more damage), faster stronger (increased health and speed) and stealth movement (decreases the range that zombies can hear/see me). That is if I can enable multiple relics at a time, I'm not sure how that works exactly.

One small complaint: I wish you could turn off the music in this game. It wasn't bad but there were times where I wish I could have just had ambient sound instead.

Edit: you can only equip one relic at a time =(

ElRenoRaven

Glad to see folks enjoying it. Sadly I'm till waiting on my Toys R Us preorder. I had heard nothing but good things about them but based off this experience I won't be preordering from them ever again.

Hopefully Monday or Tuesday I'll finally get to play it.

sunnz

Al-thought it is said to suck massive balls by the majority, I still want to buy it but not at the current price.

Hopefully a price drop in a few weeks.

I should say, I am also one of the very few who thinks warz is decent, has many problems and the developers are some of the worst, but the game is decent...

jond76

Banned
Im enjoying this game as well. The idea of levels being medium sized sandboxes is pretty cool and keeps things interesting. Im having a hell of a time acquiring good melee weapons, only a pipe and hammer so far.

If you get more than 4 zombies on your ass, it won't end well. Keeps things tense. I've seen zombies break down doors and fences. Lots going on.

I think it's a game that if you think you'll enjoy it, you probably will. Its for a specific audience for sure.

JRW

Finished it last night and after the surprise / abrupt ending I was just glad it was over, Uninstalled & moving on.

Top Bottom