• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The WaterField Case for Nintendo Switch - Production Updates

Cerium

Update 3/14/17: All Models Available, New Ultralight Switch Pouch Revealed!

Many of us have already received our CitySlickers. Waterfield has also announced a surprise new line of minimalist Switch pouches available in non-leather options!

Update 7: https://youtu.be/8Ma1WGoQp0M

Seeing all those cases in production and priority boxes waiting to be shipped out, can't wait for my case to arrive Thursday! And a look at the Pro's production and the new Switch Pouch!
here's a pic of the Switch Pouch

RGQqhts.jpg

Update 02/25/17: Pro Model Revealed!

Video Here

Update 02/24/17: CitySlicker Pre-Orders Are Up!

Order Here

Update 02/03/17: Three Models Confirmed

Video

Original Post

So the first video update has gone out about the new WaterField Switch cases in development and I thought I'd make a thread to track their progress.

If you're too lazy to watch the one minute long video here's the gist:

If you're not familiar with WaterField Designs and their work, these guys created what are widely accepted to be the finest 3DS cases in the world. Here's mine:

Hoo-doo

Banned
I can't deny that the leather 3DS case looks pretty nice.

I'm not sure what's the substance that we should discuss in here though, these guys are making a new case? The video shows nothing new at all.
There's a Switch accessory thread, right?

What do these people do that justifies the cost of a case that is 4x my hard shell case? What does "it's really nice" mean?

I don't accept any case that isn't full zip as dirt will get in any exposed openings. And I certainly won't accept it with this things giant exposed screen.

Damn, these are good.

Gone through 2 of the 3DS black cases so far, but because of the fake leather they disintegrate easily. Will pick up one of these + will pickup a Switch one if they do make it (since Australia won't be copping the BotW Master Edition with the Zelda case).

Cheers!

Cerium

What do these people do that justifies the cost of a case that is 4x my hard shell case? What does "it's really nice" mean?

I don't accept any case that isn't full zip as dirt will get in any exposed openings. And I certainly won't accept it with this things giant exposed screen.

Their intro video.

Their info page.

American Made
WaterField Designs is a San Francisco original. We have been designing and manufacturing bags and cases in our own backyard from the start. This lets us turn prototypes to production very quickly and ensure products are made just right.

Personalized Production
No mass production at our humble workshop. We personalize the production process, producing in small batches to deliver products you’ve ordered. This helps us reduce waste and lets us focus on delivering quality products.

Top Grade Materials
We use top grade materials to create your bags and cases. We cut from sturdy ballistic nylon, durable waxed canvas, and premium full grain leather. We use the more expensive self-locking zippers that don’t break easily, strong D-rings, and oversized magnets to keep flaps in place.

The Boat

I've had €5 or €10 cases for all my handhelds and they all served me just fine the entire lifespan of the hardware and beyond. However, if there is a market for higher end cases, even if they don't serve any added purpose, I have no problem with it.

phanphare

Banned
woah their 3DS case looks amazing

will definitely keep up with whatever they're doing for Switch, I'm going to need a case for it because of the exposed screen and analogs and none I've seen so far have really done it for me

Hoo-doo

Banned
Screw their gaming cases. They actually make good looking regular bags too.

Eyeing their Bolt briefcase line right now.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
woah their 3DS case looks amazing

will definitely keep up with whatever they're doing for Switch, I'm going to need a case for it because of the exposed screen and analogs and none I've seen so far have really done it for me

Their 3DS case is the best case on the market for sure. Can't wait to see what their Switch case options are gonna be. I know I won't be looking anywhere other than Waterfield for my Switch. Other gaming cases often are just too tacky or cheap looking for my taste. I'd much rather pay the premium for something that suits my needs perfectly and looks good while doing so.

I love WaterField. I have one of their cases for almost everything I own. They turned into a crazy carrying-case fetishist.

They do not get any better than WaterField.

ShutterMunster

Love these guys. I had their Mac Pro (trash can) case for the longest. Great quality! Will probably go with them if I grab a Switch down the line.

Might get one of these, I hope they make a more portable one and a larger one that will hold the dock. Switch would be a nice system to take to hotels. I rarely game outside my house so I doubt I'll be taking the Switch with me on my daily commute.

Also, I hope it's hard enough that the sticks won't rub against the case if you throw it in a bag and it has something pressing on it.

What is 3DS Case supposed to mean in a survey about the switch o_O?

Edit: I wronte I'd like space for an extra set of joycons.

Edit2:
oh. okay then.

Did you think we were going to learn that the Switch has 3DS BC from a case manufacturer?

I LOVE my Waterfield 3DS XL case and it now houses my Small New 3DS. I remember when it arrived, I couldn't believe the quality. I'm so going to invest in their Switch case.

Adamator

I too can vouch for the waterfield 3DS case. I love the hell out of mine.

I got the update from them about the Switch Case. I love that they're including us in the process. Even though I got the Zelda case coming with my special edition of BOTW, odds are I'll end up getting the Waterfield Switch Case. I'll be happy if it's design ends up being a lot like the 3DS case.

From a functionality standpoint, Isn't it kinda risky to design a case for the switch by asking what people say they would bring with them before people even have the device and know what kind of habbits they will actually form with it?

EDIT: They sure do look nice though.

killroy87

Yup, I'd buy this. Good amount of protection, and stylish as fuck? Sign me up!

Bonus points of they follow that poll and make room for AC adapter too.

Isn't it kinda dangerous to design a case for the switch by asking what people say they would bring with them before people even have the device and know what kind of habbits they will actually form with it?

The results of the poll are pretty much exactly the order they should be prioritizing, haha. It doesn't take a genius to predict that, for a portable case, you prioritize charging first, than every other aspect second (if at all).

WadeitOut

Based on the 3DS case price, I expect this to cost at least 80. This case will be so massive I will never actually lug it around by itself anyways. I will pretty much always transport whatever case it's in within another bag. So there really isn't much point in getting something like this for me.

Owari

Waterfield cases are nice, but they nearly always use leather to make them. And since I ain't fuckin with no leather, I ordered a bunch of jeans from here instead.

http://www.deeppocketjeancompany.com/

Now I don't have to carry around a man purse if I wanna bring the Switch somewhere. Happy day.

Yup, I'd buy this. Good amount of protection, and stylish as fuck? Sign me up!

Bonus points of they follow that poll and make room for AC adapter too.

The results of the poll are pretty much exactly the order they should be prioritizing, haha. It doesn't take a genius to predict that, for a portable case, you prioritize charging first, than every other aspect second (if at all).

If it's so obvious then why even ask?

From a functionality standpoint, Isn't it kinda risky to design a case for the switch by asking what people say they would bring with them before people even have the device and know what kind of habbits they will actually form with it?

EDIT: They sure do look nice though.
How else are people going to use these cases that are explicitly for travel.

Top Bottom