• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The WaterField Case for Nintendo Switch - Production Updates

How else are people going to use these cases that are explicitly for travel.

Huh? That's not what I meant. Like, at all.

My question came from the place of being someone whom makes and sells products for a living.

It's just a bit strange to me that they would ask this now instead of making a "maverick" case from the beginning and then waiting until people actually have the product and have formed habbits with said product so they could actually know how to answer that poll. Then make a few different bags to fit 2 or 3 use cases based on the polls.

I wasn't picking on them at all. I think the cases look great and I would want one if I where to get a Switch. Still might end up getting one for my 3DS XL.

Cerium

Huh? That's not what I meant. Like, at all.

My question came from the place of being someone whom makes and sells products for a living.

It's just a bit strange to me that they would ask this now instead of making a "maverick" case from the beginning and then waiting until people actually have the product and have formed habbits with said product so they could actually know how to answer that poll. Then make a few different bags to fit 2 or 3 use cases based on the polls.

I wasn't picking on them at all. I think the cases look great and I would want one if I where to get a Switch. Still might end up getting one for my 3DS XL.

They're a very small operation born of a kind of hipster and hippy culture. Everything is designed and produced on site at one location in small batches.

I've always sort of got the impression that their gaming line started as a passion project that just became really popular.

tmarg

The switch seems like it's big enough that if you want to carry it around with you you'd probably need a regular bag with a tablet compartment anyway, which would make a dedicated pouch like this redundant.

I'll definitely be waiting on whatever they come up with. This looks like premium work, so I'll pony up the cash. I'll actually be using my Switch away from home a few nights out of the week, so the investment will be worth it over a lower quality case.

WadeitOut

The switch seems like it's big enough that if you want to carry it around with you you'd probably need a regular bag with a tablet compartment anyway, which would make a dedicated pouch like this redundant.

I don't think a lot of people here realize they are going to be carrying around a leather case big enough to fit a num-padless keyboard.

Skyzard

Banned
These are great cases. Got one for my Vita and it's still in great condition.

This is gonna cost shitloads lol.

Honestly I would be cool with them simply reconfiguring the padded gear pouch for the Switch dimensions. I don't have it, but that case looks really nice to me. Unfortunately the internal dimensions of it are exactly the length of the Switch so it's probably a bit too snug.

WadeitOut

Honestly I would be cool with them simply reconfiguring the padded gear pouch for the Switch dimensions. I don't have it, but that case looks really nice to me. Unfortunately the internal dimensions of it are exactly the length of the Switch so it's probably a bit too snug.

Well they are obviously going to make it to fit the switch with joy-cons attached. As implied by their mockup design.

Cerium

Not if you don't want to hand carry a massive leather case though. If you are going to end up tossing it into something like a backpack you'd be better off just getting a cheaper hard case.
Mine will remain clipped to my belt strap thanks.

Cerium

The 3DS case doesn't seem to have room for the power supply or many games. It's sharp looking, but I value function more when it comes to a gaming case.

The back pouch stretches and can fit a lot of games or the power supply.

What is your "more functional" 3DS case?

jblank83

bNnwv6L.jpg

I want one... @_@

nikos

I like their suede sleeves. Used them for iPads and the 3DS. Since the Switch has sticks though, I probably wouldn't go with it.

No case is worth $60

I guess if you think it's a fashion accessory but as a thing to prevent it from being scuffed when dropped or hide it in public no case is worth $20, let alone $60.

My waterfield vita case will hold up longer than my vita itself, offers a fantastic combination of storage options and a well fitting and high quality lining.

Just because you do not see the value in buying a case that has a higher level of quality does not mean that others do not. Not to mention the fact that the number of cases that have good build quality, appropriate fit, and acceptable storage for any console any could be measured on one hand.

Well they are obviously going to make it to fit the switch with joy-cons attached. As implied by their mockup design.

?? I was talking about the padded gear pouch product they have.

Of course their actual Switch case will fit the product haha

Gotta say I'm pretty worried to see the joy-con grip so high in the surveys. Didn't expect to see people wanting to carry that around with them while traveling. It would make the case needlessly bulky potentially, IMO, but we will see.

Alric

Nooooooo, no one listened to me. I wanted a case without the joycons attached. I wanted a case not as long as the others you find on amazon and gamestop. Oh well.

WadeitOut

I mean look at this thing;

The Case is going to have to be ~10.5" wide. I can't imagine frequently lugging something that big around without putting it in another messenger bag/backpack. And at that point I probably don't need an $80 pouch.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Nooooooo, no one listened to me. I wanted a case without the joycons attached. I wanted a case not as long as the others you find on amazon and gamestop. Oh well.

Did you fill out the survey? I asked them for multiple form factors that could support Joy Cons attached or not.

The Case is going to have to be ~10.5" wide. I can't imagine frequently lugging something that big around without putting it in another messenger bag/backpack. And at that point I probably don't need an $80 pouch.

The Switch is 9.4" in length with the joycons attached. I bet the dimensions of the case will end up being pretty similar to the one I mentioned earlier in the post you quoted:

https://www.sfbags.com/collections/pouches/products/padded-gear-pouch

I emailed sfbags about the internal dimensions of the case, and it is exactly the length of the Switch. Make this case 0.2" bigger, and it will fit the Switch pretty well I bet along with extra joycons, a power supply, and game cases. I'd be all over this case if it was just a bit bigger and if I didn't already know they were in process of making a Switch case.

Alric

Did you fill out the survey? I asked them for multiple form factors that could support Joy Cons attached or not.

Yes, I wanted a pouch that was the length of the tablet but would allow for the joy cons to be placed, behind, below, or ontop. It's so the case can fit into a small backpack for carrying. With the joy cons attached to the tablet the case is too long.

Cerium

Yes, I wanted a pouch that was the length of the tablet but would allow for the joy cons to be placed, behind, below, or ontop. It's so the case can fit into a small backpack for carrying. With the joy cons attached to the tablet the case is too long.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were multiple models.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Speaking of, has anyone done a rundown of the cases available for the Switch at launch and which retailers will be carrying them?

finalflame

For people going "wtf" at the price, either this isn't for you or you're not familiar with Waterfield's products. Had the pleasure of going to their SF office (when I worked in SoMa) to pick up my Vita and 3DS cases, amongst other products I've owned over the years, and it's just such a fine operation making such amazing products. Really second to none.

Can't wait to see what they come up with :)

Illucio

Banned
Paid close to that for this one when it came out. Very happy with it.
I have the same monster Hunter 3ds case. I love it to death.

I would definitely shell out for a new bag. But I typically wait a few months with my new handheld before I decide I need one or not.

jyoung188

Wow that 3ds case looks nice, I may have to pick one of those up. Plus I'd be I interested in what they design for the switch, looks like quality stuff.

Dremorak

Banned

If he took the joy-cons off and put them in his side pockets he would be fine....just dont sit down :S

Cerium

Might get one of these, I hope they make a more portable one and a larger one that will hold the dock. Switch would be a nice system to take to hotels. I rarely game outside my house so I doubt I'll be taking the Switch with me on my daily commute.

Looks like you get your wish and then some!

Three different models, that's unprecedented. I think I'm going to go for the minimalist myself.

Top Bottom