• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The WaterField Case for Nintendo Switch - Production Updates

Istaerion

I'm really glad they're going for three different case designs instead of trying to meet the most needs with just one that is likely to be crazy expensive due to all the options it would have to accommodate.

I'm personally hoping for a really solid case that'll house the screen by itself primarily and hold the Joy-Con's separately.

I'll definitely be on board with the minimalist, but I just want to see what the champion case will look like in the end. It may as well be a backpack.

Fireblend

Banned
How difficult is it to understand everyone assigns worth/value to stuff differently from each other? There's no scientifically established line between what is expensive and isn't, so this discussion is pretty useless tbh.

One of these would be a big investment from me and I'll probably stick with a $20 one, but I agree it'd be nice to have a fancy case to carry your console around - good for those that can afford it and will enjoy it.

This thread should be dedicated to design discussion IMO.

WadeitOut

How difficult is it to understand everyone assigns worth/value to stuff differently from each other? There's no scientifically established line between what is expensive and isn't, so this discussion is pretty useless tbh.

A daily reminder that differing opinions is why NeoGAF exists.

And as far as discussing design goes, they've only given us 2D mock ups. There isn't a lot of design to discuss at this point.

plidex

If it's like the 3DS it looks like it will be too bulky.

One of these would be a big investment from me and I'll probably stick with a $20 one, but I agree it'd be nice to have a fancy case to carry your console around - good for those that can afford it and will enjoy it.

This thread should be dedicated to design discussion IMO.

With that same logic, we shouldn't be able to discuss the price of games or consoles.

If that 3DS case is anything to go by, the quality looks great. I'll def be picking one of these up...prob the minimalist...but need to see the others two. As others have said, the champion sounds like its going to be a freakin backpack. Lol But I gotta see it before I make a choice....

In the other case thread, I saw these mentioned. At first, that price was insane to me. But then when I saw this video and saw their website, I came around.

I don't have the ability to wait on a case since I'm sure I'll take my Switch on the go, but I could totally see myself upgrading to one of these later. They're gorgeous.

brad-t

not a terrible idea, imo. it's just big enough to warrant it

Yeah, although at that point I'm not sure why I wouldn't just use a simpler Switch case inside of a larger bag with its own compartments. That makes this case kind of a tough sell IMO.

WadeitOut

Even the minimalist case looks way too massive. Completely pointless as a travel case IMO unless you want to carry it around like a murse.

In the other case thread, I saw these mentioned. At first, that price was insane to me. But then when I saw this video and saw their website, I came around.

I don't have the ability to wait on a case since I'm sure I'll take my Switch on the go, but I could totally see myself upgrading to one of these later. They're gorgeous.
I have purchased multiple cases and bags from them and the quality is well worth the price.
Even the minimalist case looks way too massive. Completely pointless as a travel case IMO unless you want to carry it around like a murse.
I don't go anywhere, except work, without a messenger bag anyway so it's fine for me.

WadeitOut

People carry bags nowadays, you don't just carry the device by itself

Okay. So you're going to pay $70-80 for a leather pouch that is just going to get stuffed into a second bag. Pointless because it's too massive to comfortably fit into a lot of other bags. Unless you really need that leather after seeing the new 50 shades movie.

I want a Switch case that holds two Joycon controllers with the grips so I can throw everything in a bag and play 4 player with the individual Joycon or 2 player games with the grips. Dock shouldn't be necessary since supposedly there will be USB-C cables that can act as a replacement.

I don't see myself taking just the system around with me very often, but it'd be cool to have something to take it to parties, family gatherings, on vacation, etc.

brad-t

Okay. So you're going to pay $70-80 for a leather pouch that is just going to get stuffed into a second. Bag. Pointless. Unless you really need that leather after seeing the new 50 shades movie.

Yeah exactly. I am really into leather goods and quality stuff in general, even — I carry a leather bag every day. I was pretty interested in this, but ... I just don't get the point of getting a bag-sized case just to stuff it into another bigger bag, especially when this case is also much thicker than any of the others I've seen.

Yeah exactly. I am really into leather goods and quality stuff in general, even — I carry a leather bag every day. I was pretty interested in this, but ... I just don't get the point of getting a bag-sized case just to stuff it into another bigger bag, especially when this case is also much thicker than any of the others I've seen.

To keep everything together?

I don't understand why this is so confusing honestly, heh.

WadeitOut

You're misunderstanding. This is designed basically like a makeup brush case. Except it's way bigger. There is non terrible way to carry something like this around with one hand and it's not designs like a messenger bag. So your only real option is have a bag either enough space to fit it into. But if you're just stuffing it into another bag wouldn't you be better served to spend the money on a higher quality large bag and gen just get a $20 hard case for the Switch? Seems pretty obvious.

I honestly don't k ow what they could have done to make a design I like. The Switch is just too large of a device. You'd almost have to design it so the joycons go in front of the tablet separate so it's not as long but then based on this design it would be way too thick.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
wait if you like leather goods you are into bad bdsm movies?

are you rockin jansport backpacks and sweatpants?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Okay. So you're going to pay $70-80 for a leather pouch that is just going to get stuffed into a second bag. Pointless because it's too massive to comfortably fit into a lot of other bags. Unless you really need that leather after seeing the new 50 shades movie.

As a person who makes leather bags as a hobby yes, i would like to have a leather case for it.

Sometimes people just like a material. Doesn't have to be rational.

You're misunderstanding. This is designed basically like a makeup brush case. Except it's way bigger. There is non terrible way to carry something like this around with one hand and it's not designs like a messenger bag. So your only real option is have a bag either enough space to fit it into. But if you're just stuffing it into another bag wouldn't you be better served to spend the money on a higher quality large bag and gen just get a $20 hard case for the Switch? Seems pretty obvious.

I honestly don't k ow what they could have done to make a design I like. The Switch is just too large of a device. You'd almost have to design it so the joycons go in front of the tablet separate so it's not as long but then based on this design it would be way too thick.

Hey that's your opinion. I guess I can get it. I'm totally fine with this type of thing, though, I wish the design was more like the gear pouches they have. That pouch has more functionality. It's literally just a hair too small, though.

brad-t

My bag already has compartments in it where I can put stuff like the JoyCons and charger; to carry the Switch and games, the official cases and the Hori one are significantly cheaper and thinner. That's why I think this case would actually be better if it had a strap on it, but overall it just doesn't appeal to me in terms of its practicality even if I like the materials. No worries, I'm not trying to convince you not to buy it.

Cerium

Updated OP, looks amazing, everything I could have asked for.

Most underrated upgrade over the 3DS case: Magnetic closure. Love it.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Damn that looks good. I'll probably switch from my Swiss Gear backpack for my work laptop to some Waterfield bag that matches the Cityslicker soon after launch. Excited about the combo.

What's up with the "other cases are cheaper" arguments? We all have access to the internet. We all know this. You're free to buy whatever you want. I like to imagine Wade standing out in front of a local boutique clothing store shouting about the great deal he got on his Costco jeans.

Hattori

Banned

$70-80 dollars is nothing to me if I know I'm getting a quality item. I have a large enough bag to carry this, my notebook, and my iPad so *shrugs*. I didn't know there was a new 50 shades movie, Im sorry I don't really keep up with those kinds of things.

Cerium

Looking at the video I don't think I'll have any trouble hanging that from my waist. I'll take pictures as proof if some weird people can't get over it.

Holy shit, the minimalist is everything I wanted it to be. Perfect size, added protection, screen integrity a point of focus, and a little extra pocket for whatever may come about. Perfect. Absolutely perfect. Sign me the fuck up for a preorder, waiting list, auction, something! This is going to get so bought.

By the looks of it, I couldn't have asked for a better turnout. The Switch must be protected, and this will do the job nicely.

Sushigod7

Bro if people want to buy it they will buy it don't spend so much time telling everyone how their opinion is pointless.

On topic these look pretty amazing I will totally get one and throw in my suitcase for work trips. Looks like it might have better protection than the Zelda shekiah slate one in the master edition.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i e-mailed WaterField asking if they might consider a shoulder strap for the minimalist bag. would make an awesome daily bag for NYC commuting.

Looking at the video I don't think I'll have any trouble hanging that from my waist. I'll take pictures as proof if some weird people can't get over it.

the case will clock in at nearly 10 inches

having a tablet sized device hanging from your pants is going to make you look like a crazy person

Cerium

the case will clock in at nearly 10 inches

having a tablet sized device hanging from your pants is going to make you look like a crazy person
We'll see.

I'm not sure how I feel about that one. The one I have for my iPad is black and doesn't have that light leather look. I think I want something more like that than this. I hope they have other options.
They always has a variety of colors including simple black.

Top Bottom