• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The week's about to start again: WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TOO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Devendra Banhart - Nino Rojo
Ted Leo/Pharmacists - Shake the Sheets
Stab Stab Cut Kill - Warmpth EP
The Fiery Furnaces - Blueberry Boat
Racebannon - Satan's Kickin' Yr Dick In
Kanye West - The College Dropout
the pAper chAse - God Bless Your Black Heart

Let's rock'n'roll, rock'n'rollers!

Suerte

darren.jpg

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
More than anything else for three weeks or so, Ted Leo & the Pharmacists: Shake the Streets

Great album.

SolidSnakex said:

This album is slowly growing on me. I don't like the "have 3 completely different melodies in a song and switch from one to another almost randomly", but it's still growing on me. :)

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
6.8 said:
This album is slowly growing on me. I don't like the "have 3 completely different melodies in a song and switch from one to another almost randomly", but it's still growing on me. :)

It's really tastefully and skillfully done, though. Like, it could be a pile of shit, but some of the switches are sheer genius. The song "Blueberry Boat" is pretty amazing. And "Chief Inspector Blancheflower," oh man. The way it switches after he says "So I joined the police force" is one of the most perfect things I've ever heard.

6.8 said:

Yah it's still growing on me, although I already like it more than "Gallowbirds Bark" (that didn't seem to get much attention for some reason) which was one of my fav albums last year. I can pretty much listen to Quay Cur on loop for hours without getting tired of it. I still need to see them live. They're in Europe right now though.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Fiery Furnaces are doing a US tour in September. Their live show sounds pretty wild! Bummer I can't go. :(

Great stuff this week:

The Organ- Grab that Gun-- amazing girl band from Vancouver that plays Cure-flavored ditties with swoony female Morrissey vocals. I'm all in black today especially for them.

The Futureheads s/t- Franz Ferdinand et al fans, take heed, this is you next big thing. Great songs, very well arranged and an impossibly kickass cover of "Hounds of Love" by Kate Bush.

Pas/Cal- Oh Honey We're Ridiculous EP. Cleverer than recent Belle & Sebastian and catchier too. Who knew Detroit could produce dandys?

Tracy + the Plastics- Culture for Pigeon- nice follow up to the first album with weirder ideas and more heart. That first song on repeat over and over and over.

Guided by Voices- Half Smiles of the Decomposed-- A great final record perfectly produced and kind of regal in a twilighty take a bow kind of way.

Tanya Donnely- Whiskey Tango Ghost-- I haven't given a toss about her solo stuff since she broke up Belly, but this album makes all that throw away worth while. Bittersweet, spare and haunting.

Junior Jack featuring Robert Smith- Da Hype single- Cure fans and dance enthusiasts, you MUST hear this track. It's a Georgio Morordor style Eurodisco number with Fat Bob wailing an amazing lyric about how he's "flying again." Makes up for lack of fun on the new Cure album.

Hidden Cameras- Missisauga Goddam- more orchestral folk songs about gay sex with a funny Up With People bent. Not liking it as much as The Smell of Our Own (yet) but it's growing on me. And you've gotta love a record that has a song called "I Want Another Enema."

And finally, a super early advance of the new Le Tigre record, This Island. Yes YEs YES- these girls rule and finally figured out that decent production does not equal selling out. They still rock, but there are some smooth as silk dance numbers and cool wtf cover of the Pointer Sisters' "I'm so Excited."

nitewulf

Mercury Fred said:
And finally, a super early advance of the new Le Tigre record, This Island. Yes YEs YES- these girls rule and finally figured out that decent production does not equal selling out. They still rock, but there are some smooth as silk dance numbers and cool wtf cover of the Pointer Sisters' "I'm so Excited."

groovy. i thought the production in their electronic dance stuff was already pretty good.

GG-Duo

Mo' Adventurous, some DCfC, Explosions in the Sky, Deep River (again cuz I'm on a sexy female kick)

new Jay Chow
new Leo Ku

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
B00005953B.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

absolutely perfect, crystalline 60s guitar pop. one of my favorite albums ever, really. and i hadn't listened to it in ages...only thought of it cos i heard that late 90's butchery of "there she goes" in some commercial. it's amazing how much they vulgarized that song simply by replacing lee mavers' sweet rasp and uninflected falsetto with some awful tori amos impersonator. anyway, uh, buy this album.

also listening to the first voidoids album. i was inspired by a wanky gaf argument! man, robert quine has gotta be my favorite guitar player ever. nearly every time i hear that solo on love comes in spurts i have to rewind and hear it again, cos i can't believe what i've just heard. just the way he fractures and inverts rock clichés and makes them startling and enervating and actually sort of funny. i guess he died recently. here's to robert quine.

Mercury Fred said:
+1 Solid Snakex

I forgot about these guys. Saw them play about a year ago and they were fantastic. I'll have to pick this up.

Yah they rock, too bad they don't get more attention. Hopefully when they release their next album in January (or earlier according to their website) it'll get alot more attention. They've got 4 songs available to listen to on their site:

http://www.forgetcassettes.com/

Bruce Wayne and Like Tiny Swords = absolutely amazing.

nitewulf

Mercury Fred said:
Great stuff this week:

The Organ- Grab that Gun-- amazing girl band from Vancouver that plays Cure-flavored ditties with swoony female Morrissey vocals. I'm all in black today especially for them.

man, what have you done to me?
they are too good!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom