• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U pad might be the best controller ever

KevinCow

Banned
After putting quite a bit of time into NSMBU and AC3, I have come to this conclusion. To be honest, I'm a little surprised. I usually expect good things from Nintendo controllers, but they still managed to surprise me with how good this one is.

I mean even ignoring the touch screen and whatever other gimmickry and looking at only the standardized controller features, it's pretty damn great:

Ergonomics
Super comfortable. Shockingly so, considering how big and unwieldy it might look. You pick it up and it just melts into your hands. All your fingers go exactly where they need to be.

More importantly, I think, is that neither the sticks nor the d-pad/buttons feel like they're in a secondary position. They both feel equally comfortable to reach and use. This is pretty different from the standard controller setup, by which I mean the PS3 or 360 controllers. Trying to use the 360 d-pad extensively feels awkward, and it's not entirely because of how bad it is. And using the left stick on the PS3 is something I've gotten used to because I've had to to play like any game ever released today, but I've never felt it was optimal.

Whereas with the Wii U, I felt perfectly comfortable playing through NSMBU with the d-pad and buttons the entire time. And I feel completely comfortable wandering around in AC3 with my thumbs on both sticks most of the time. Then when I need to switch to combat or something, I feel perfectly comfortable switching to the buttons. The fact that the right stick is now above the buttons - something that seemed to bother many people when it was first revealed - barely even registers.

Buttons
They are perfect. By that, I don't mean "really good". I mean perfect. Just the right size, just the right distance apart, just the right amount of give. Comparably, I've always felt that the Playstation buttons were a bit too big, flat, and far apart, and the 360 buttons were too rounded and stiff. Even comparing to the Wii Classic Controller, I kinda actively disliked those buttons. The clear ones felt slightly different and harder and had sharp edges, and they were too flat and far apart...

...But this? This is like the best button diamond ever.

Sticks
Really good. Nintendo finally added stick clicks and got rid of the octagonal gate at the behest of third-party publishers. I was actually kind of a fan of the octagonal gate - it was fun to rotate the sticks and make that CLACKETY-CLACK sound during load times or whatever - but I'm not too sad to see it go.

I'd probably have liked concave heads, but it's not too big a deal. Between the material used and the subtle circular extrusion, there's enough grip to not be a big problem. Aside from that, everything else is wonderful: just the right amount of height, resistance, and travel distance. The stick click is also sturdy enough that you won't accidentally click it, but not so much that you'll have trouble clicking when you want it.

D-pad
Only the best console d-pad since, like... ever? No annoying missing center section like the PS controllers. No abject unusable shittiness like the 360 or Gamecube pads. It's a lot like the Wii Classic Controller d-pad, but a bit smaller and a lot better.

Triggers
The first real knock I can give the controller is that these aren't analog. Why? I don't know. Seems like an odd omission when they seemed to go to every other length to match and exceed feature parity with the competition.

Other than that, they feel excellent in a similar way to the Gamecube triggers. They're just the perfect shape for your fingers, and they're extremely satisfying to press. Their width makes them less gun-trigger than the 360 triggers, which I like, but that's really just personal preference. The real important thing is that they're not convex so your fingers slide off of them like the PS3 triggers.

Bumpers
Another little knock against the controller: the bumpers require a bit more of a stretch to reach than I'd like. It would be nice if they were a bit closer to the triggers, but I'm honestly not really sure how that could've been accomplished.

Still, it's something you can get used to, and when you do press them, you get an actually satisfying button press feeling unlike the 360's dinky little clickers. Maybe not quite as satisfying as the PS3's L1 and R1, though.

Battery life
Okay. Here's the big knock against the controller, and really the one thing keeping me from declaring it UNDENIABLY the bestest controller of all time ever. It's awful. Like really awful. Like 3-4 hours awful. Fortunately you can plug it in to an outlet (not the console, its charger plugs into a wall outlet separately; this could be better or worse than being wired to the console depending on your setup) and keep playing while it charges. But this is the wireless age! We're not supposed to be tethered to anything! Hopefully they or a third-party release a better battery some time in the future.

In summary, looking at just the core functions, I have only three issues:

- No analog triggers
- Bumpers aren't perfectly comfortable like everything else on the controller
- Crap battery life

Whereas I could probably come up with plenty more than three complaints for any other controller ever. Other than those three issues, everything else is excellent.

So before even touching on the gimmickry, it's already easily in the running for one of the best controllers ever. Adding the gimmickry, it gets even better.

Now, I'll admit, the touch screen hasn't done anything ABSOLUTELY AMAZINGLY REVOLUTIONARY. I mean, maybe some of the Nintendo Land stuff is neat, but I'm not sure if I expect that kind of stuff in a lot of games.

What I do expect in a lot of games, however, are nice little conveniences like the following:

Touch-based menus
Because just tapping something is way quicker than scrolling to it with the d-pad or stick and pressing A. The thing's been out for, what, two weeks now? And I already get a little annoyed when I encounter a menu I can't navigate by touch. Youtube and Hulu+ apps, I'm looking at you. Need to step your shit up.

This also applies to things that aren't menus in the traditional sense, like AC3's weapon wheel. You can press up and down on the sticks to cycle through your weapons and choose the one you want. Or you can just tap it on the touch screen. I pretty much always use the touch screen because it's way faster.

Maps
Yeah, I know the joke goes all the way back to the DS. "They just used the second screen for a map!" But you know what? That shit's convenient, especially with the Gamepad's much larger screen. Comparing the Gamepad map to the on-screen mini-map in AC3, the Gamepad map lets you see over twice as far by default. Then you can also double tap it to zoom out a bit, which lets you see nearly three times as far as the on-screen mini-map.

It seems like a dumb little thing but it's really useful for getting your bearings. You're not relying on a dinky little mini-map, and you're not constantly pausing and unpausing. You just look down, then look up, and say, "Okay, so this block on the map is that building, which means this line is that road, which means that's the way I need to go." That's pretty much how I use maps in real life, so it's neat to be able to transfer that skill directly to the game.

And no, taking your eyes away from the screen for a second doesn't make you instantly die horribly.

HUD-less gameplay
Speaking on AC3 in particular, this has always been an issue with the series. It looks great if you turn off the HUD, but the information the HUD displays is pretty handy.

With the Gamepad, you can have your cake and eat it, too. If you turn on the Optimize for Gamepad option (which I think should just be on by default), you get the nice, uncluttered gameplay screen, but you can still access all that HUD info real quick and easy by just glancing down. Perhaps the most important part of this: You don't have an annoying and distracting mini-map in the corner of your vision constantly throughout the game.

And again: taking your eyes away from the screen for a second doesn't make you instantly die horribly. I can say so from practice because I have done it.

Typing
Because text entry on console games has always been a pain in the ass. But now you can just bring up a keyboard on the touch screen. No fumbling with on-screen keyboards, no need to buy some keyboard add-on for the controller. Just, boom, keyboard. Type. And the keys are big enough to press with your fingers, no need to pull out the stylus.

Drawing
Because I don't care that I'm awful at drawing, making doodles for Miiverse is hella fun.

Off-TV play
I suppose I haven't gotten as much use out of this as some people, but it's still pretty neat. I do like how I can turn it on and check Miiverse without having to turn on my TV.

Customizable inputs
In AC3, you can call your horse by opening up the weapon wheel and selecting the horse icon then pressing the secondary weapon button, or you can set it to one of your four d-pad quick-select spots so you can skip the weapon wheel step and have slightly quicker access to it.

Or you can just tap the big honkin' horse button to instantly call your horse without needing to swap weapons or use up one of your four quick-select spots on it.

It seems like a little thing, not even worth mentioning. But it's convenient. It's one of those functions that you use frequently enough to want quick access to, but not frequently enough to dedicate an entire button to. It's like in OoT3D, when they gave the Ocarina a dedicated spot on the touch screen instead of making you swap it into your items every time you wanted to use it like in the N64 version. I think anyone who's played both versions can tell you how nice and convenient that was.

And that's the point. These functions may not be revolutionary, but they sure are convenient. Is that convenience worth the $300-350 for the Wii U? I dunno. Maybe not. But I have the system now, so between the excellent controller and the touch screen conveniences, I'd probably go with the Wii U version of a game if I was given the choice. Provided it wasn't a shoddy port like most of the launch titles apparently are, anyway.

I'm honestly looking forward to more Wii U games coming out just so I have an excuse to use this controller more.

Hero

Great post, definitely agree with a lot of your points on the controller. Extremely satisfied with it myself. Biggest complaint is the battery life which can be fixed with a bigger one later on. I also would've preferred the GCN analog stick for the Game Pad sticks.

Orayn

Thanks for the impressions! I'm looking forward to fondling one some time between now and March when I shell out for Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate.

It's certainly Top 3 contender, up there with 360 and GCN controllers.

Gamepad has a lot more functionality but is somewhat less comfortable than the other two.

Also, THAT HORRENDOUS BATTERY LIFE.

TheExodu5

Banned
One of the biggest surprises for me is how comfortable it is for dpad games. Mario controls incredible well with it.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
It's an ergonomic nightmare, but I'm glad that you like it.

Needs analog triggers and better battery. I do like it overall though.

I'll be looking out for good analog's from MS/Sony first though.
I don't think theres ever been ones that don't have issues.

Thats just how its been for me anyway.
Gamecube - Bouncy and needing too much of a push to get the digital click
360 - Squeaky and sometimes have the issue the gamecube ones have
PS3 - Not played them but hear they're not great

Not saying it can't be done. Just not perfect for me.
Will be interesting to see how WiiU triggers compare.

Madao

it is a horrible fingerprint magnet. why wasn't it rugged or matte?

*hugs 3DSXL*

but yeah, it works pretty good. my only real problem is the d-pad registering up+left when i press up but that might be just a bad d-pad (though this means i'll need to get a replacement eventually and that's going to suck) and the battery life (at least this isn't a handheld like a 3DS where you actually need it to hold a charge for a while)

In summary, looking at just the core functions, I have only three issues:

- No analog triggers
- Bumpers aren't perfectly comfortable like everything else on the controller
- Crap battery life

Whereas I could probably come up with plenty more than three complaints for any other controller ever. Other than those three issues, everything else is excellent.

I'd like to hear all these complaints you could find with the 360 controller outside of the dpad.

The battery life is a huge negative for the gamepad, it's almost a dagger.

I love the nice big d-pad and the face buttons, but everything else seems a bit off to me. Switching between the two trigger types and between the analogue sticks and face buttons seems like there's a lot of ground for my fingers to cover. It might be something I get used to over time though.

olimpia84

I love the gamepad, it already rose up to be in the ranks of most comfy controller I've held in my hands along with the Gamecube. The ergonomics of the pad are great and I can't believe how light the controller is.
Dpad is awesome (perfect size and feel, Nintendo needs to stick with this design), face buttons feel great and the overall placement of the rest of the buttons is well thought out.

My main gripes with the controller are the shitty battery life and the motion of pushing the sticks don't feel as good and intuitive as the PS3 dualshock. Also, using your fingers to drag things on the screen doesn't work quite well every time and this can be problem for games like ZombiU where you don't really have room or time to be holding the stylus.

pswii60

It's growing on me but I still feel far more relaxed with the 360 pad. I just feel the screen on the GamePad takes me out from the immersion of the game. It's also just a little too stretched out and I don't feel the triggers are as comfortably placed. Also as above, the lack of analogue triggers hurts too.

Basically - screen aside - from a pure controller point of view, I think it's a step up from the DualShock 3 but a step down from the 360 controller.
I'd like to hear all these complaints you could find with the 360 controller outside of the dpad.

The battery life really isn't an issue for me. I rarely play games for longer than a couple of hours at a time, and the included charging cradle makes it incredibly easy to drop back in to charge between playing, without having to plug it in etc. I agree though, it's certainly not ideal for a gaming controller.

I haven't even tried the d pad :O

But I really like the sticks.

And I guess I'm the only person who has no problem with the battery life? That little stand is really convenient.

kodt

Banned
I felt it at a Best Buy and found it to be surprisingly light, but still feels like it has good build quality. If it was a tablet, I would say it feels like a toy, but it's not really a tablet, its a video game controller and it actually does feel nice.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
Great post, definitely agree with a lot of your points on the controller. Extremely satisfied with it myself. Biggest complaint is the battery life which can be fixed with a bigger one later on. I also would've preferred the GCN analog stick for the Game Pad sticks.

YEah, I'm not looking forward to buying another controller even if it has better battery life. Don't these sell for like $130-150 in Japan (or will?). If they are priced that high here, they can go to hell.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
The 360 has analog triggers, its actually possible to jump between the bumpers and the triggers without getting your fingers lost, and clicking in the analog sticks feels very good.

Wii U pad has fine controls, but I still like the 360 controller better.

ozfunghi

Add GCN analog triggers
improve battery life
add GCN button layout (yeah, the big and small round buttons and two beanshaped buttons) - so much more clear, hierarchically. Thumb on the big button, tilt right or left, slide up for the other 3 buttons. Genius.
The top shoulder buttons are placed uncomfortably high for me.

Fix that and you have the ultimate controller.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I laid on my couch Sunday and played NSMB U for five hours with it. Felt awesome in my hands the whole time. I like it quite a bit.

-D-Pad
-Clicky sticks don't feel right (hard to explain, you can't, I don't know, can't just press down, you have to consciously angle your press, 360 controller is the reason I don't like clicky sticks in general)
-Futzes pretty badly when the battery gets low (super minor, but if you get to like 10% battery it disconnects a lot)
-Can't comfortably use all four trigger/shoulder/bumper buttons simultaneously (Gamepad is the only controller ever to get this right)

Four.

360 is still one of my favorite controllers.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
My hand starts to ache after using this thing for a while. Same with the 3DSXL. Haven't had any problems with any other controller in that regard since the OG Xbox pad.

emb

Agree with most points; it's a really fantastic controller.

I do have a few issues with it though. I hate not having the octagonal gate on an analog stick. Awful choice to me. It also feels weird to click in the sticks, like I'm having to put in too much effort for a single input. Position of the sticks also isn't the most comfortable for me in general.

As mentioned, battery life is indeed pretty bad. Digital triggers are more of a good thing for me though. I prefer them. They feel quicker and more comfortable.

Also to kind of invert one of the op's points, it really gets on my nerves whenever menus are navigable by buttons. Touching is cool and all, but if I'm playing a normal game, I generally don't want to be forced to look down and completely reposition my hand. Depends on the game really though. And I think we can all agree that having both options is best.

I pretty much agree with everything. I don't even miss the analog triggers really (though I did love the ones with HUGE travel on the Gamecube. But nobody makes them like that anymore).

And yeah, I do miss the octagonal gating on the analog sticks. It's actually the thing I miss the most.

It's a totally wonderful, convenient controller. It's really only marred by the admittedly horrible battery life.

D-pad
Only the best console d-pad since, like... ever? No annoying missing center section like the PS controllers. No abject unusable shittiness like the 360 or Gamecube pads. It's a lot like the Wii Classic Controller d-pad, but a bit smaller and a lot better.

Unfortunately for Sony and MS, Nintendo if I recall has a patent on the D-Pad design so they'll pretty much never get it perfect like on the Wii U pad. Sony will probably always stick with the non-connected design, and MS will stick with the 8-way or whatever.

It's a shame that with this in mind Nintendo doesn't even get the d-pad right on all their own stuff, but damn when they do it feels great. Wii U Gamepad has it and it's a big improvement over the others.

Unfortunately for Sony and MS, Nintendo if I recall has a patent on the D-Pad design so they'll pretty much never get it perfect like on the Wii U pad. Sony will probably always stick with the non-connected design, and MS will stick with the 8-way or whatever.

It's a shame that with this in mind Nintendo doesn't even get the d-pad right on all their own stuff, but damn when they do it feels great. Wii U Gamepad has it and it's a big improvement over the others.

That would make a lot of sense. I'm always confused, it can't be that hard to make a good d pad, but if they just literally can't, then I can see that.

I find using the four shoulder buttons plus sticks very unnatural and uncomfortable. Both the DS3 and 360 pad are better in that regard.

Also the GC controller is garbage. Missing an L1, missing clickable sticks, retarded button layout and size, double click triggers (lul wut) and a horrendous right stick.

Pineconn

My only gripe is the build quality. When I use the D-pad, the casing kind of "clicks" and it gets annoying. I'm tempted to open it up and reinforce it around the D-pad...

Thanks for the thorough review Kevin!

I'm VERY particular about my controllers and your off the cuff critique sounds like it would align with mine

Looking forward to picking this system up in March when MoHun drops

The screen ruins it for me. I imagine the pro controller is really good though I would put it below the 360 controller still.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Yeah, at first I thought there'd be this adjustment period where I "got used" to the controller, but when I held it it was like "Oh... that just happened". It felt comfortable and like it was built for my hands. Very awesome controller, and the touch functions are very convenient. ^^

Good post. Pretty much agree with everything there.

Battery life is no problem from me since I always have it plugged in when using it. The one thing that I just love is the Off-TV play. I don't think I've ever put in as much time with a new console as the Wii U and playing games on the controller is the reason for that.

One thing that did take a little getting used to was clicking in the sticks. That felt sort of awkward at first, but now it feels great like the other controllers. No analog triggers is sort of a bummer since I like racing games, but I'm more of an arcade racing kind of person so maybe it won't be much of an issue. I do love having the triggers being digital for shooters though. Feels great when playing COD.

It is very quickly becoming more favorite controller ever.

OP, you are some kind of strange controller connoisseur, but I agree with every single point you're making. This is one gamepad that I've picked up that just felt right.

The battery life is kind of a downer, but it won't be a huge problem until an RPG rolls out, where 4 hours can melt away in no time.

MrT-Tar

I was thinking the same earlier, I absolutely love mine. The biggest surprise for me though was how light it was, I was expecting something near half again as heavy.

Totally agree.

The GamePad is a game changer for me. Not because it's some huge paradigm shift but rather because it adds a TON to the traditional controller design in terms of functionality.

Even simple stuff like having a zoomed out map and off-screen play in AC3 are a really big deal to me. Games like Zombi U have things about them that are just impossible on anything else. MiiVerse is greatly enhanced by its inclusion and simple stuff like searching for things in the eShop is a revelation compared to competing systems.

I've said it before the system was released and I feel 110% vindicated. It's like the invention of the analog thumbstick - you can get roughly the same functionality out of a traditional controller but once you experience the difference you don't want to go back.

The GamePad is something special to me. Enough so that Wii U is now my lead home console platform for at least the next year.

I pretty much agree with everything. I don't even miss the analog triggers really (though I did love the ones with HUGE travel on the Gamecube. But nobody makes them like that anymore).

And yeah, I do miss the octagonal gating on the analog sticks. It's actually the thing I miss the most.

It's a totally wonderful, convenient controller. It's really only marred by the admittedly horrible battery life.

The patent lapsed about five years ago and wasn't renewed. No excuses for the next generation MS / Sony controllers now!

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Wavebird was my favorite for years, followed by the 360 Pad. I think the Gamepad has easily eclipsed them both. I sit at my desk with the controller resting in front of me pretty much every day. My only real complaint is the battery life. That's only really a problem because I have been playing the damn thing so much.

Top Bottom