• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U pad might be the best controller ever

Was anyone else really annoyed with the Wii Classic Controller's analog sticks? They seemed to high or something, which was odd considering how comfortable the nunchuck was.

Alex

How does the d-pad compare to the Vita's? Which is my new favorite d-pad as of right now.

The d-pad and face buttons are generally the same as the 3DS XL (which, to anyone who doesn't know, are different than the old 3DS), but larger. Why they couldn't have also had larger buttons on the 3DS XL (and the DSi XL) has always baffled me.

Pineconn

That was 22 years ago. The standard configuration has changed. Also, L and R versus ZL and ZR isn't exactly descriptive.

It's legacy. Nintendo is sticking with their configuration.

Same with the Z button. They've used it since the N64 and it makes sense to continue labeling it as the back button. Now there are two.

JavyOO7

Not the best controller ever since the battery is pretty garbage and analog triggers. If there is a GameCube VC and some games on that library use analog triggers, what is going to be done to remedy that?

Great controller. Not the best.

There's plenty of room for improvement in the future but it has a good base right now to start with.

EDIT: I don't even mind charging. But for it to be best ever I would have to say it needs a better battery than it does right now. And it doesn't. And triggers. I liked the feel of the triggers in GC controller.

That was 22 years ago. The standard configuration has changed. Also, L and R versus ZL and ZR isn't exactly descriptive. And Start and Select are also known as + and - for no good reason.
I don't get why Nintendo should change the diamond positioning that they made standard?

It's better than LB/RB vs LT/RT, and about the same as L1/R1 vs L2/R2.

Are you honestly going to be confused by +/- at all?

Somnid

Controller could use improvement in some ways (battery, light sensor for power saving, analog triggers) but it's mostly definitely the most functional and versatile controller on the market by a huge margin and the streaming idea is here to stay. They really nailed that aspect.

wsippel

Banned
That was 22 years ago. The standard configuration has changed. Also, L and R versus ZL and ZR isn't exactly a descriptive naming scheme for the bumpers/triggers. And Start and Select are also known as + and - for no good reason.
Microsoft not following the standard doesn't mean the standard has changed. Also, L1 and L2 aren't any more intuitive than L and ZL, and Start and Select really makes no sense anymore as Start doesn't actually start and Select doesn't actually select anything (neither does + increase or - decrease anything, so neither approach makes much sense).

When I first used the Wii U Gamepad I thought it was brilliantly designed and very comfortable... fast forward a week later and my left hand is cramping pretty bad... The controller is just a little too heavy to hold as I normally hold a controller (with the controller tilted forward so that the gamepad is nearly parallel with my lap).

It puts a lot of pressure on your wrists while your wrists are at an angle and over the course of a few hours every night, it hurts.

I think Nintendo KNEW this position was bad for your hands with this much weight though, I think that's why they tied the camera system in Nintendo Land to tilt. Tilting the controller "upright" at about 30-40 degrees gets you the perfect view in Nintendo land and aligns your wrists with your forearm... The thing is, I've just never played with a controller that way and it's not comfortable (though more so than the other after a few hours) and it's not easy to adjust.

That was 22 years ago. The standard configuration has changed.
nintendo-ds-lite-blue.jpg

Last I checked, more of these had been sold than 360s.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Whenever these posts show up, I always feel odd being able to switch between any of my controllers (save the dreamcast) and be perfectly comfortable and execute any button combination I need to.

VariantX

That was 22 years ago. The standard configuration has changed. Also, L and R versus ZL and ZR isn't exactly a descriptive naming scheme for the bumpers/triggers. And Start and Select are also known as + and - for no good reason.

What standard configuration? Each hardware manufacturer has its own configurations for its controllers.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Microsoft not following the standard doesn't mean the standard has changed. Also, L1 and L2 aren't any more intuitive than L and ZL, and Start and Select really makes no sense anymore as Start doesn't actually start and Select doesn't actually select anything (neither does + increase or - decrease anything, so neither approach makes much sense).
That and the fact that +/- have START and SELECT right underneath them completely undermines GavinGT's argument completely.

Also, asking Nintendo to abandon their button naming because MS did with 360? Don't make me laugh. Whatever next, asking Sony to change the shapes because they are outdated and don't make sense too?

KevinCow

Banned

I don't understand how any of this is confusing.

Button diamond layout took a bit of adjusting, but I got used to it.

Z is a trigger, no Z is a shoulder button.

I don't know why they changed Start and Select to + and -, but it's been that way since the Wii. It's not really a big deal.

GavinGT

Banned
I don't get why Nintendo should change the diamond positioning that they made standard?

It's better than LB/RB vs LT/RT, and about the same as L1/R1 vs L2/R2.

Are you honestly going to be confused by +/- at all?

It just makes for an awkward user experience for me. It's made even worse by the fact that they still use A to confirm menu choices.

DS owners would probably disagree, since they're used to this ABXY configuration. But for a Nintendo console it seems like a weird throwback, since both the N64 and Gamecube controllers had A as the primary face button and both had it in the bottom position.

Besides, my button naming gripes were only an aside.

Boss Man

I really don't care for the button placement beneath the right analog stick. I only tried it briefly so this might just be habit, but I don't know. It felt really awkward. The thumb has a lot more movement up than it does down.

Whenever these posts show up, I always feel odd being able to switch between any of my controllers (save the dreamcast) and be perfectly comfortable and execute any button combination I need to.

I can switch between controllers no prob, and never have an issue with button presses... doesn't change the fact that (at least the way I've always held every game controller ever) how I hold the Wii U pad eventually leads to stiff/sore wrists... and thus having to change how I hold it and thus (again) it's not as comfortable as many others.

Codeblue

My favorite part is the right stick being above the buttons so I can still use the stick with the tip of my thumb and hit a face button with the middle part. That was my one huge gripe against dual analog pads and it's been fixed now.

It's a great controller and could be my overall favorite, but it isn't as comfortable as something like the split controller that Move and Wii had. Also, I'd rather have Cube face buttons because I'm not sure I can adjust to Smash on this after thousands of hours across over a decade with my Cube controller.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
FYI, the +/- thing is inherited from the wii remote where the plus and minutes mini-buttons were positioned for more frequently used functions than a start and select key. They were often used for things like zoom in, zoom out, toggle on, toggle off. That sort of thing.

As for the gamepad itself, I really like the thing battery aside. While it looks odd at first glance, the width channels some of the separated hands comfort of a wii remote + nunchuck combo.

The one thing I'm a toss about is the lack of analog triggers. I never considered them good for games that require digital trigger clicks - too squishy, though I realize some people feel the xbox analog trigger is like squeezing the trigger of a gun. Obviously the digital triggers are a problem for sim racing games, if those come.

But after playing Black Ops 2 for hours, I'm on board with the digital triggers for non-racing purposes. Much more comfortable and responsive for me.

majik13

this is the first standard, its just you became used to xbox, which used the same letters but put them in different spots. that is all.

Anyways I think every game should develop how ZombiU primary displays button prompts. I cant find a picture.

But it basically shows the main button, and all the other buttons greyed out, so you know its context and relative position, which makes more sense than just it name, if you dont want to look down. So if its says hit X, you know X is the top button. Though to simplify it they can just put the main button, and then three smaller dots on top, bottom or side representing the other buttons. This should be standard in every game, so you never have to think what button is where. Especially because every system is different.

Brofield

I have no qualm with battery life, because at this point it still doesn't phase me (doubt I'll ever have an opportunity to play for 3-4 hours, with school and work and all), but I do miss that octagonal control stick gate. Just made for easier precision. Even if it was just for the left side, I'd be happy.

That's what MadCatz* needs to do, make a 4 pack of little plastic add ons, $8, that can snap open and shut, but turn any round-edge joystick into octagonal gates.

*MadCatz gets shit on for crappy accessories, but they are all that comes to mind due to infamy, and they have gotten a smidgen better.

But the non-analog triggers does bug me. I mean, racing games, for one, need them. And if/when they bring Gamecube VC to the Wii U, how will I run and spray water in Super Mario Sunshine?

GavinGT

Banned
this is the first standard, its just you became used to xbox, which used the same letters but put them in different spots. that is all.

It hasn't been used on a console controller since SNES. N64 and Gamecube don't use it, and Dreamcast, Xbox, and Xbox 360 all follow the "A at the bottom" convention.

Sanic

I agree with most of your points, but the controller does feel cheap and a bit floaty in my hands. More preference than anything. I despised the sixaxis for similar reasons.

It just makes for an awkward user experience for me. It's made even worse by the fact that they still use A to confirm menu choices.

DS owners would probably disagree, since they're used to this ABXY configuration. But for a Nintendo console it seems like a weird throwback, since both the N64 and Gamecube controllers had A as the primary face button and both had it in the bottom position.

Besides, my button naming gripes were only an aside.

I know what you mean, when I came to PS3 from Xbox I was thrown off a bit, especially since MGS4 was my first game on there (used Circle for YES).

KevinCow

Banned
Anyways I think every game should develop how ZombiU primary displays button prompts. I cant find a picture.

But it basically shows the main button, and all the other buttons greyed out, so you know its context and relative position, which makes more sense than just it name, if you dont want to look down. So if its says hit X, you know X is the top button. Though to simplify it they can just put the main button, and then three smaller dots on top, bottom or side representing the other buttons. This should be standard in every game, so you never have to think what button is where. Especially because every system is different.

I know I've played games that did it this way. Gears of War, I think?

But yeah, it should definitely be the standard.

majik13

It hasn't been used on a console controller since SNES. N64 and Gamecube don't use it, and Dreamcast, Xbox, and Xbox 360 all follow the "A at the bottom" convention.

you are right, havent used those in awhile I was just going off snes and their handhelds.

Alex

Most people don't game for 4 hours at a time. Hard to believe I know! Plus just plug it in and you can it forever.

The cord on this sucker is pretty short, especially considering it doesn't dock with the console, but a power outlet.

I've only gotten one full empty so far, but it was def less than four hours on a level 3 screen setting with power saving on. Isn't this also supposed to be a family device, a multi purpose one at that? What happens if you use it for a bit then someone else wants it?

There's no defense for shoving a damned 1500 mah battery in this thing, even if it's not a biggie for you that's still a special level of cheap no one should be going to, and probably was only done to sell a stamina battery in the future.

Not the best controller ever since the battery is pretty garbage and analog triggers. If there is a GameCube VC and some games on that library use analog triggers, what is going to be done to remedy that?

Probably a new controller that doesn't actually function with anything else but those handful of games.

Again, like this controller, quite a lot actually, but Nintendo desperately needs to get their control options in order. NSMBU just boggles the mind:

1.) Single player mode can't disable the live, tv-mirroring gameplay
2.) Can't play multiplayer with a gamepad and a Wii remote, you need two wii remotes
3.) Can't use their new 360 controller, because they didn't put the motion bit in it (although the motion controls are also mapped to buttons on the gamepad)

Oh, and while we're talking about the controller, the gamepad *needs* a proper sleep mode, the whole console and all future consoles should ideally have it, but at least qive a sleep mode to the gamepad.

I agree that the good sticks, good buttons, great d-pad, and touchscreen make the Wii U pad one of the most versatile controllers ever. It's sad that the lack of analog triggers cuts back on that versatility.

I'm neutral on comfort. It's not bad by any means, but it's also not exceptionally comfortable like the Gamecube pad (or the Wii+Nunchuk combo, or the 360 pad for that matter).

Battery life has not been an issue for me. I don't expect many >3-hour play sessions in the near future, but I can see where that would be annoying.

I love, love, love that I can play NSMBU while the roommate watches tv. I've also been successful so far in playing the pad while lying in bed (a floor above the tv).

One thing I wonder about button placement...is anyone else a little disappointed that the market roundly rejected the Gamecube configuration with one large "action" button at your thumb's resting point and the other three face-buttons easily differentiated by shape and position? I get that it's a bad set-up for certain genres, but I thought it was perfect for the many modern games that rely heavily on a context-sensitive action button and then leave secondary items to the other face buttons.

goldenpp72

I find it uncomfortable with long term play, not sure if i'm holding it wrong or what, but the straight down handles are probably my issue.

Alex

I agree that the good sticks, good buttons, great d-pad, and touchscreen make the Wii U pad one of the most versatile controllers ever. It's sad that the lack of analog triggers cuts back on that versatility.

I'm neutral on comfort. It's not bad by any means, but it's also not exceptionally comfortable like the Gamecube pad.

Battery life has not been an issue for me. I don't expect many >3-hour play sessions in the near future, but I can see where that would be annoying.

I love, love, love that I can play NSMBU while the roommate watches tv. I've also been successful so far in playing the pad while lying in bed (a floor above the tv).

One thing I wonder about button placement...is anyone else a little disappointed that the market roundly rejected the Gamecube configuration with one large "action" button at your thumb's resting point and the other three face-buttons easily differentiated by shape and position? I get that it's a bad set-up for certain genres, but I thought it was a really smart for the many modern games that rely heavily on a context-sensitive action button and then leave secondary items to the other face buttons.

I liked this too, the large primary button. Old school win button jokes aside, I thought it was a good idea. Would like to see it again without the bean button secondaries, didn't like those.

It hasn't been used on a console controller since SNES. N64, Gamecube, Dreamcast, Xbox, and Xbox 360 all follow the "A at the bottom" convention.
N64 had B on the left, so I wouldn't hold that one up as adhering to any sort of convention. And GameCube had B to the left. You also can't ignore their handhelds - they have always had the B-A (and Y-X) button layout. Hundreds of millions of handhelds with that layout have been sold.

I mean it's the most feature rich traditional controller so far. Plus it's confortable enough, so there isn't much to argue here.

Best overall controller? I don't know, the Wii Remote impresses me to this day and with some adjustments could be the greatest one.

But yea OP, as far as the evolution branch started by the first Famicon/NES controller, the Wii U pad is the best.

GavinGT

Banned
Most people don't game for 4 hours at a time. Hard to believe I know! Plus just plug it in and you can it forever.

A tethered controller isn't great when you're playing a game that uses the Gamepad's motion controls.

N64 had B on the left, so I wouldn't hold that one up as adhering to any sort of convention. And GameCube had B to the left. You also can't ignore their handhelds - they have always had the B-A (and Y-X) button layout. Hundreds of millions of handhelds with that layout have been sold.

I guess I'm one of a rare breed that hasn't owned a handheld since Pokemon Red/Blue. Does DS use A to confirm menu choices as well?

The lack of color coding, a major convenience since the SNES, would be a far more compelling point to push. The naming convention ("push triangle!" WTF is tri- oh there it is. Oh, too late. This is your average God of War 2 QTE experience btw) is moot when pushing colors is so much easier and to the point.

I actually remember having difficulty knowing A and B from one another on the SNES. Playing SSF2, I would always go for 'B' when I was supposed to press 'A'. But if I went with 'lK into MK into LK' or "yellow-red-yellow" I would do it without flaw.

But then, the US and JAP versions didn't have color coded controllers.

So this 'point' would reside solely with European users.

Top Bottom