• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U pad might be the best controller ever

GameCube Controller looks fun and dynamic, but nowadays everything has to be symmetrical and straight forward. If Nintendo or an offshoot company doesn't make a Wii U GCN Legacy Controller, then someone else will. And if they don't, then I'll be mighty tempted to learn about modding controllers.

I really wished the gamepad would have had a similar layout. A lot of people seem to have an issue with button namings and assignments, but it was nearly impossible to NOT know one button from the next on the gamecube. They all had a different shape, so if they put on onscreen, it was immediate as to which button it was.

Non-diamond setup would be complete jank for 2D Mario, glad they changed it.

I'd actually thought that setup would compliment the style of 2D Mario since you always have the run button held down anyway. Well, most of the time.

Completely off topic, but watching someone play mario without ever pressing the run button is the most infuriating thing this side of the galaxy.

Incorrect. This is the greatest controller of all time. Behold "The Duke"

xbox_original_controller_sm.gif

If that wasn't the worst damn controller for a major console in history. I hated this damned thing. Controller way too fucking big with the face buttons arranged in a horrible squished diamond shape, and a d-pad that's a damned circle. The most uncomfortable controller in existence. The Dreamcast controller was better than this shit. And that thing's cord came out of the bottom towards you.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I'd actually thought that setup would compliment the style of 2D Mario since you always have the run button held down anyway. Well, most of the time.

Completely off topic, but watching someone play mario without ever pressing the run button is the most infuriating thing this side of the galaxy.

Wait, is there some way to press both the GameCube B and A buttons at the same time that I've missed all this time? Cause it's always been pretty awkward.

Wait, is there some way to press both the GameCube B and A buttons at the same time that I've missed all this time? Cause it's always been pretty awkward.
I'd never had an issue with it to be honest. We could always just use the A and Y combo though. I would go with that as my set up. That one would work well right?

So a console only gamer should be accustomed to a scheme that's been unused since SNES simply because it was introduced first? All I've been saying is it's off putting to anyone that doesn't own a DS or 3DS. A lot of people aren't used to the right face button being the primary input on their consoles. You'd know where I stand if you read more than a single comment in a 500 post discussion.

Are you missing those Wii Pro controller shots above? Or how about the classic controller before it? Sorry man, even the Gamecube was only a slight variation on that config. It's been around on every Nintendo system except the N64.

And considering that by now the DS is the best selling console of all time and continues to sell, anyone who can't adapt to that setup is a pretty marginal subset of the handicapped. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

GavinGT

Banned
Umm, are you missing those Wii Pro controller shots above? Or how about the classic controller before it? Sorry man, it's time to give it up. Even the Gamecube was only a slight variation on that config. It's been around on every Nintendo system except the N64.

And considering that by now the DS is the best selling console of all time and continues to sell, anyone who can't adapt to that setup is a pretty marginal subset of the handicapped. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

I find it seriously shocking that so many people are utterly unable to look at an issue from both sides. You honestly don't think any significant number of western console-only gamers are off-put by having the right face button as the primary input? Because I've only been echoing the statements of numerous journalists' first impressions.

DS is not a console. I'm getting tired of going around in circles here with people that refuse to read the entire discussion.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I'd never had an issue with it to be honest. We could always just use the A and Y combo though. I would go with that as my set up. That one would work well right?

That sounds like an abomination to Mario canon!

A and Y... I've never heard of something so heinous.

I find it seriously shocking that so many people are utterly unable to look at an issue from both sides. You honestly don't think any significant number of console-only gamers are off-put by having the right face button as the primary input?

No. No I do not. Which is why nobody had a problem with the SNES or the Wii Classic or Pro controllers or DS or 3DS or couldn't understand the b button on the Gamecube. Really, these people do not exist. It's not something that takes much work to come to grips with.

Hiltz

Hah. The OG Xbox controller. According to Wikipedia, Game Informer labeled it the "Blunder of the Year." Also, IGN's Craig Harris, the Xbox Fat controlle was ranked as the 2nd worst game controller ever as of February 2006. Jaguar took 1st place.

I have big hands but still had trouble handling that Fat Xbox controller. I remember my step-cousin bought the Xbox's S version because his hands were so small. Here's the S version controller that was orignially exclusive to Japan, but due to popular demand, Microsoft eventually made it available everywhere.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Xbox-s-controller.jpg

wsippel

Banned
DS is not a console. I'm getting tired of going around in circles here with people that refuse to read the entire discussion.
It isn't? News to me!

Seriously, nobody cares what you call it. It's one of the most successful gaming platforms ever, more so than anything Microsoft has ever done, and uses the same button layout. It would be utterly confusing if Nintendo switched to Microsoft's reversed layout all of a sudden, which they copied from Sony, who in turn had the grand idea of making unnecessary changes in the West because they were afraid their funky symbols would be misunderstood.

Odrion

Banned
The Gamecube controller was pretty flawed, terrible for quite a lot of games outside of Nintendo's own software.

Like how is anyone okay with the z-button, or the d-pad, or the bad button layout?

This isn't mentioning the stuff some people could be okay with like the mushy shoulder buttons, or the 8-way directional lock. Or heck, the missing buttons that other consoles had.

Don't get me wrong, it had a nice grip to it. But MAN that thing was just not good at playing so many titles.

GavinGT

Banned
It isn't? News to me!

Seriously, nobody cares what you call it. It's one of the most successful gaming platforms ever, more so than anything Microsoft has ever done, and uses the same button layout. It would be utterly confusing if Nintendo switched to Microsoft's reversed layout all of a sudden, which they copied from Sony, who in turn had the grand idea of making unnecessary changes in the West because they were afraid their funky symbols would be misunderstood.

The console vs portable distinction is a commonly accepted one.

And I realize that Nintendo conforming to the Playstation/Xbox scheme would be off-putting to Nintendo portable owners, but it would seem to me like a smart move for a company who's largely trying to appeal to the Playstation/Xbox owner.

Hold your hands out in front of you as if you are holding a controller, with your palms towards you.

Move your thumbs down.

Move your thumbs up.

Which is easier?

If you're holding the controller with your hands exactly parallel, then it's easier to move the thumbs down I'd say. So you'd naturally rest your thumbs on the two sticks, and only move the right one down whenever you need to access a button. This is more than fine for FPS games and action games, when the most used buttons are the shoulder ones.
In a face-button heavy game, like mario, you simply adjust the position of your hands a bit so you hold them like / \ rather than like | | so that your thumb naturally leans on the face buttons/D-pad.

Interesting. So the screen needs you to press a bit harder than you would on an smart phone.

You could put it that way. Capacitive screens detect the presence of your skin. Resistive screens detect physical pressure. In the latter case, how much pressure depends on how sensitive the touchscreen is. When I used the GamePad, the sensitivity was fairly high (that is, the amount of pressure my finger had to apply was approaching but not quite negligible).

Think of resistive screens as being like an analog trigger and capacitive screens as being like a digital trigger. One is either always on or off, whereas the other allows a range between. Either has benefit over the other.

moonbox

Banned
The triggers are comfortable, but the shoulder buttons are too high up. I have to constantly re-adjust on games which use all buttons, both analogue sticks and the d-pad. Also, the right side buttons are not aligned with the anologue stick in a way which allows my thumb to be perfectly accessible to them both. I have to move my whole hand slightly down the controller in order to be able to press the buttons competently, but when I do that, the shoulder button becomes a crazy task.

What's the deal with AC3's sensitivity too? There is no movement until the analogue stick reaches almost the edge of its available space. It's like, when they adjusted the controls for the lack of analague trigger acceleration, they fucked up the analogue sticks and didn't realise. Bitches be fuckin' crazy, man. Makes no sense at all.

Top Bottom