• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U pad might be the best controller ever

speaking of, does anyone know why they chose x and y as the buttons? has it ever been said?
figure it makes more sence for it to be z and y, a first two letters and last two letters of the alphabet thing.

I figured its because Z and B sound very similar to each other (pronounced ZEE, not ZED like in Canada), which can lead to confusion when describing a game's controls to someone.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
GamePad deserves every bit of praise it gets on the internet. Even with merely 5 games I have, its versatility amazes me. And as its browser is so convenient to use, it has replaced my iPad since I own it. My activity log shows I spend more time on the web than in games, which confirms something I already knew :p

Mistle

Only downside to me is reaching for the L/R buttons. But it's not too bad. I don't really notice in-game, only when I'm actually thinking about it.

Great controller.

argon

A couple things I haven't seen mentioned in this thread yet:

Stereo Speakers

The stereo speaker quality is excellent for a game controller. Sound is crisp and it has a wide volume range. The software smartly adjusts certain music/sound effects coming from the TV based on the GamePad's volume level. With the volume set to high, there's a nice front/back stereo effect that occurs. The only downside is that sometimes the screen / GamePad music and sound isn't synchronized, causing an unwanted reverb due to latency differences. However, I can see this adding a nice ambiance to some games (e.g. an echo effect in a cave).

AC Adapter

A lot of people grumbled about this when they saw it, but what they really were complaining about was the battery life that necessitates the adapter. However, the AC adapter itself is a great feature. It allows you to play long gaming sessions away from the TV using just the GamePad without having to worry about battery life or having to minimize brightness settings. The charging stand makes it even more convenient. And you can play while it's charging, so there's no real downside to having it.

DrNeroCF

I'd agree, but I absolutely love the Pro controller. Quickly hitting a button from the right stick is much easier than on the GamePad, so I usually end up using the Pro controller for CoD. GamePad's ZR and ZL feel great, though.

360's buttons are mushy and awful, and I had completely forgotten that the sticks have 4 horrible bumps around the rids of the sticks, mine must have worn down long ago...

Anyone who thinks the analog sticks are better on the 360 pad is nuts, though.

jerd

A couple things I haven't seen mentioned in this thread yet:

Stereo Speakers

The stereo speaker quality is excellent for a game controller. Sound is crisp and it has a wide volume range. The software smartly adjusts certain music/sound effects coming from the TV based on the GamePad's volume level. With the volume set to high, there's a nice front/back stereo effect that occurs. The only downside is that sometimes the screen / GamePad music and sound isn't synchronized, causing an unwanted reverb due to latency differences. However, I can see this adding a nice ambiance to some games (e.g. an echo effect in a cave).

AC Adapter

A lot of people grumbled about this when they saw it, but what they really were complaining about was the battery life that necessitates the adapter. However, the AC adapter itself is a great feature. It allows you to play long gaming sessions away from the TV using just the GamePad without having to worry about battery life or having to minimize brightness settings. The charging stand makes it even more convenient. And you can play while it's charging, so there's no real downside to having it.

Though I'm probably one of the people more disappointed with the gamepad, I do have to admit that the speakers are VERY good.

I feel like it's slightly too tall or thick at the bottom to be perfectly comfortable (but can see why visually they'd want to have it the way it is).

The base of my palm feels like it wants to wrap around the back more but it's butting up against the bottom half of the controller.
Only a small tradeoff (that i'll get used to over time) for the great positioning/ease of using either dpad or analog though!

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I think it's ergonomically terrible. Having the middle finger to press shoulder buttons is the worst idea.
That's how I've been using the DualShock /shocker

To the OP, yep, it's a very good controller. Introduces some gamechanging features, and the ergonomics is good. The one thing lacking is a proper battery in that compartment.

Fess

Yup, it's really really great, very comfortable and without the usual shortcomings with either the Dpad or sticks. Love it.

I also love dual screen gaming so much more than I thought I would, it took some time getting used to but once I did it felt like it was always supposed to be this way.

The battery life is crap though... Nintendo might think you should take a break every hour anyway but it's still crap. Hopefully they solve it later on somehow when they start selling controllers separately, GamePad+ with 5-6 hours battery life.
But being a parent has still saved me from seeing the battery go completely out so it's not a disaster for me petsonally, 3 hours is probably my longest gaming sessions so far, and I always rest the GamePad in the charging cradle after use.

Btw, off-TV gaming might be one of the best inventions yet in gaming, at first I thought it was fun but kind of useless but it only took one single situation when I really needed to get how awesome it really is.

Seik

Banned
The only (kind of) bad thing on this controller is the gloss finish, even if you take care it'll get scratched. :(

EDIT: Oh yeah, what was I thinking, it desperately needs a bigger battery of course.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Needs analog triggers and better battery. I do like it overall though.

I agree, those points could be improved.
Up to now I also agree with the OP: it's comfortable and it has every input possibilities of the other controllers, plus a lot more. It can be considered able to do everything possible with a normal controller, with a lot of additional possibilities.
Contrary to the Wiimote, I really think that this should be the base for future console gaming interfaces: it has a lot of potential and I really hope it could penetrate the market as a concept.

mokeyjoe

I'll be looking out for good analog's from MS/Sony first though.
I don't think theres ever been ones that don't have issues.

Thats just how its been for me anyway.
Gamecube - Bouncy and needing too much of a push to get the digital click
360 - Squeaky and sometimes have the issue the gamecube ones have
PS3 - Not played them but hear they're not great

Not saying it can't be done. Just not perfect for me.
Will be interesting to see how WiiU triggers compare.

Despite being a horrible carpal tunnel inducing mess of design I still think the Dreamcast had the best analogue triggers. They seemed to have more travel and better resistance than the squashier Xbox ones. Perfect for driving games.

jerd

I think we all know we're going to get this:

3DS-Circle-Pad-Pro.jpg

but with analogue triggers.

Ashler

If you'd told me that the gamepad was possibly one of the best controllers ever, before I tried i out, I would have called you crazy.

Having had the gamepad for some time now, however, I'd actually agree.

onipex

It is the most useful gamepad ever. I use it more than I use my iPad and I can fully control my TV/cable with my iPad.

dock

Love this controller. Possibly the best dpad of all time, and the analogue sticks are great Haven't played enough with them to judge them fully, but so far they've worked perfectly.

Triggers are taking a little while to get used to, but I like them.

That was 22 years ago. The standard configuration has changed.

By 'standard' do you mean 'xbox' ?

I agree the Nintendo arrangement is a little fruity, but still.

FSLink

Banned
speaking of, does anyone know why they chose x and y as the buttons? has it ever been said?
figure it makes more sence for it to be z and y, a first two letters and last two letters of the alphabet thing.
Didn't prototype Super Famicom controllers have A B C and X Y Z as the face buttons? I can't find a picture though. But I'd imagine it's leftover from when they removed 2 buttons.

ArynCrinn

Banned
People seem to forget that the button layout is identical to the SNES...

Anyway, decent controller but the build quality suffers for the versatility. Lack of analog triggers, worse ergonomics and inferior shoulder buttons means the GC controller still wins. Honestly even I could tell you ten easy things that would have made this the best controller ever, albeit more expensive.

And for the last time, the buttons needed to be above the right stick, not below. Rethinking that aspect in my gaming life was unnecessary and frankly stupid. Same for the Pro controller, was no need to be any different there.

NinjaBoiX

Needs analog triggers and better battery. I do like it overall though.
Yup. No analog triggers is a HUGE blow for me.

Racing games will be basically unplayable.

:(

Like, seriously Nintendo? You didn't feel the need for analog triggers? You don't care that not one racing game will play correctly on your new console?

You guys are clowns. Resistive touch screen is also backwards. I've used the pad, and the actual function of the screen is fine, but not multi touch seems like a missed opportunity.

I think Nintendo are way too focused on cost cutting, to the detriment of their products. And therefore customers.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I pretty much agree with everything. I don't even miss the analog triggers really (though I did love the ones with HUGE travel on the Gamecube. But nobody makes them like that anymore).

And yeah, I do miss the octagonal gating on the analog sticks. It's actually the thing I miss the most.

It's a totally wonderful, convenient controller. It's really only marred by the admittedly horrible battery life.

Unfortunately for Sony and MS, Nintendo if I recall has a patent on the D-Pad design so they'll pretty much never get it perfect like on the Wii U pad. Sony will probably always stick with the non-connected design, and MS will stick with the 8-way or whatever.

It's a shame that with this in mind Nintendo doesn't even get the d-pad right on all their own stuff, but damn when they do it feels great. Wii U Gamepad has it and it's a big improvement over the others.

I have to say that the GamePad, while it could certainly be a little lighter, is surprisingly very comfortable to hold. You can feel that they did extensive usability studies to perfect its shape. Great job on this Nintendo!

Still, the king of DPad is PS Vita now IMHO... best DPad I have ever used since the 8 bit days till now.

Edit: I agree on the speakers bit. It does sound quite neat for a controller. It looks like they used the space well.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Perfect post, OP. I agree with everything 100%. Side note, I think we'll see battery expansions in the future. There seems to be extra space in the battery bay. But who knows...

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Immediately disqualified for the lack of analogue triggers.
That's one thing. GamePad adds the best motion sensors ever seen on a controller (using the bow in Zelda is a revelation), great stereo speakers, an independent big screen, touch controls, almost perfect analog sticks and dpad, upcoming NFC features, etc.

But you're SmokyDave, and I probably shouldn't bother.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Serious question, here: Besides racing games and very few FPS titles, what the hell uses analog triggers? I find them more of a burden than a boon.

It's a good controller but has a LOTTTT of issues.

360 pad is still basically perfect, other than the d-pad, which I never use. I'm not sure if anyone will ever top that beautiful pad.

Synless

It's a good controller but has a LOTTTT of issues.

360 pad is still basically perfect, other than the d-pad, which I never use. I'm not sure if anyone will ever top that beautiful pad.
It was beaten by Sony's controller before it was even released. 360's controller is the best for shooters, but beyond that, DS3 is still where it is at.

I think the Wii U's controller is pretty great though. It fits very well in my hands and more importantly it feels good while holding it. I think the buttons feel a bit spongy for my tastes though.

Dacvak

What are they?

Terrible battery, touch screen could be better (you need to push too hard), the resolution should be better, the triggers aren't as comfortable as they should be, etc.

It was beaten by Sony's controller before it was even released. 360's controller is the best for shooters, but beyond that, DS3 is still where it is at.

I think the Wii U's controller is pretty great though. It fits very well in my hands and more importantly it feels good while holding it. I think the buttons feel a bit spongy for my tastes though.

DS3 is uncomfortable and shit, just like the DS and DS2.

Sony need to design something better for PS4, badly.

SmokyDave

That's one thing. GamePad adds the best motion sensors ever seen on a controller (using the bow in Zelda is a revelation), great stereo speakers, an independent big screen, touch controls, almost perfect analog sticks and dpad, upcoming NFC features, etc.

But you're SmokyDave, and I probably shouldn't bother.

SmokyDave, the guy that loves racing sims.

Are you trying to tell me that I shouldn't care about analogue triggers?

Top Bottom