• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U pad might be the best controller ever

dock

I'm confident that within a couple of years the standard battery will be at least twice the capacity, even within the existing battery compartment.

lenovox1

Oh my damn. I'm definitely getting that, even if it is ass-ugly.

Did you guys know that the Gamepad's battery is only 1500mAh? To offer perspective, an iPad has a 11,666mAh battery. The hell, Nintendo?

They talked about obsessing over the GamePad's weight in an “Iwata Asks.” And a big ass battery would have exponentially added to the cost of making the thing, and Nintendo likes to pinch those pennies.

dock

Oh, one criticism of the Gamepad - the rumble is terrible! It's a loud and ineffective buzz. Nintendo may have 'invented' rumble with the n64 rumble pack, but they've been truly awful at implementing it themselves.

It will be interesting to see whether they'll improve the Gamepad itself over the next few years.

Typing on my Galaxy S2 I barely have to press on the screen to get it to register. When typing on the Wii U pad in that way half of the letters don't register, I need to actively push harder than I should have to.

It's been a common complaint, here on GAF, various podcasts etc. Not sure how you've missed it!

Edit: Agree with the above bloke about rumble, too. I keep thinking my phone is vibrating. It's a weird sound.

King_Moc

Banned
I'm loving the controller. The only negatives for me are the digital triggers and the dead zone on the analogue sticks.

Anyone complaining about lack of multitouch has almost certainly never held one. You'd struggle to use both hands on the screen without putting it down. Also, most advantagest that a capacitive screen has are nullified by having buttons. And i'd much rather have the accuracy that a stylus provides too.

I'm loving the controller. The only negatives for me are the digital triggers and the dead zone on the analogue sticks.

Anyone complaining about lack of multitouch has almost certainly never held one. You'd struggle to use both hands on the screen without putting it down. Also, most advantagest that a capacitive screen has are nullified by having buttons. And i'd much rather have the accuracy that a stylus provides too.
Multitouch can be done with one hand. How do buttons make the better response and precision of capacitive screens useless?

jerd

Typing on my Galaxy S2 I barely have to press on the screen to get it to register. When typing on the Wii U pad in that way half of the letters don't register, I need to actively push harder than I should have to.

It's been a common complaint, here on GAF, various podcasts etc. Not sure how you've missed it!

Edit: Agree with the above bloke about rumble, too. I keep thinking my phone is vibrating. It's a weird sound.

I've got a good few complaints about the Gamepad, but touch screen responsiveness isn't one of them. I've had no problems with it whatsoever, which was very surprising. In fact, it took me a while to get to where I wasn't jamming my finger into the screen because I expected DS like responsiveness. But obviously that's just my opinion.

Multitouch can be done with one hand. How do buttons make the better response and precision of capacitive screens useless?

Though pinch zoom is nice, it is nothing that can't be replicated easily with buttons. Honestly I think that stylus use is the main thing Nintendo had in mind when planning the Wii U gamepad, in which case multitouch is 100% worthless.

Mael

I'd say that's more a compliment on your S2 than anything about the pad if you ask me, I usually avoid the "system wars" threads so I may have missed this, I can't tell I have any complaints about this part.
And I nearly forgot that it had rumble :lol
Having said that having drawn multiple times on some smartphones I can say that only the Note is not utter shit at that, not that I care since I'm not an artist.

SmokyDave

Well if you really love racing sims you should use a wheel anyway.

A; There isn't always time or space to set one up in my living room.

B; Is there a decent wheel compatible with the Wii-U? I'm guessing 'no'.

Sorry, but the lack of analogue triggers is bollocks. No two ways about it.

I'd say that's more a compliment on your S2 than anything about the pad if you ask me, I usually avoid the "system wars" threads so I may have missed this, I can't tell I have any complaints about this part.
And I nearly forgot that it had rumble :lol

Maybe so, but after using a better bit of technology, it does make the gamepad stand out as outdated a bit (paired with the resolution).

Well if you really love racing sims you should use a wheel anyway.

Exactly. When was having analogue triggers absolutely essential for racing games?

If you care that much about having that little bit of extra control, then you'll be using a wheel. Does Sonic racing play worse because of it?

Fantastic controller though. Feels great in the hands, but yeah that screen could do with being just a little bit more sensitive. would be great if it had a brightness control and screen on/off button too.

Terrible battery, touch screen could be better (you need to push too hard), the resolution should be better, the triggers aren't as comfortable as they should be, etc.

I don't have to push that hard at all. A simple soft push does the trick already. It's not as overly sensitive as your standard smartphone touchscreen, but it's still WAY more responsive than the touchscreens of the regular DS or DSi.

It's definitely responsive enough.

lenovox1

The fact that it is a resistive screen in 2012 is pretty ridiculous.

(I very much doubt now that ths was the decision they had to make, but...) It was either have a pressure sensitive stylus (resistive) or don't (capacitive). It's much too cost prohibitive to have a capacitive screen with the same level of stylus functionality that what they went with offers.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
They talked about obsessing over the GamePad's weight in an “Iwata Asks.” And a big ass battery would have exponentially added to the cost of making the thing, and Nintendo likes to pinch those pennies.
While I'm sure there's some merit to that, it just seems like an excuse. It would not have added much weight if they doubled the battery life.

SmokyDave

Exactly. When was having analogue triggers absolutely essential for racing games?
...oh, Jesus Christ.

If you care that much about having that little bit of extra control, then you'll be using a wheel. Does Sonic racing play worse because of it?
And what about games like GTA? Should I plug in the (non-existent) Wii-U wheel for the driving bits and then swap to the controller for the rest?

Some of you will defend / downplay literally anything.

I don't have to push that hard at all. A simple soft push does the trick already. It's not as overly sensitive as your standard smartphone touchscreen, but it's still WAY more responsive than the touchscreens of the regular DS or DSi.

It's definitely responsive enough.

"Responsive enough" is relative. My phone has set the standard for me and the gamepad falls short of that now.

Nosgoroth

I have to agree, the Gamepad might be my favorite controller ever. I love my Wavebird, but the D-pad is barely usable, and that's very important for me.

Maxrunner

For a resistive screen i thought it was pretty responsive quite frankly....it goes both ways, the capacitive screen of my nexus 7 sometimes is way to sensitive and register near presses too....at least i think it does...

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Yes, precision and accuracy are so dated...
I feel like people don't understand this. Resistive screens are the smarter choice if you're planning on using a stylus, which I'd be pissed if they didn't have. It has pixel-perfect accuracy, and I'm a huge fan of drawing on here.

Mael

Maybe so, but after using a better bit of technology, it does make the gamepad stand out as outdated a bit (paired with the resolution).

Yeah that's a bit vague if you ask me.

A; There isn't always time or space to set one up in my living room.

B; Is there a decent wheel compatible with the Wii-U? I'm guessing 'no'.

Sorry, but the lack of analogue triggers is bollocks. No two ways about it.

Is there even a proper racing simulation on WiiU anyway?
I mean that's like complaining about 3D platformers being shite on SNES's controller when the thing doesn't even have 1 to begin with!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
(neither does + increase or - decrease anything, so neither approach makes much sense).
Well technically + and - are used to zoom in and out on both the WaraWara Plaza and web browser.

this is the first standard, its just you became used to xbox, which used the same letters but put them in different spots. that is all.
What I hate more is that they changed the colours. B should be yellow, A red, Y green, X blue. THAT SHOULD BE THE LAW OF THE UNIVERSE. The Super Universe.

It hasn't been used on a console controller since SNES. N64 and Gamecube don't use it, and Dreamcast, Xbox, and Xbox 360 all follow the "A at the bottom" convention.
Actually the GameCube does. It's just rotated at 45°.

Are you sure that's the pad and not the programming? Some buttons are programmed not to respond to a light touch so you don't accidentally click them.

...oh, Jesus Christ.

And what about games like GTA? Should I plug in the (non-existent) Wii-U wheel for the driving bits and then swap to the controller for the rest?

What games like GTA?

EDIT - I thought you meant games like Gran Turismo there, sorry. Anyway why would you want that extra control on games like that? It isn't going to make any difference, and so isn't essential.

Mael

GTA controls like dogshite anyway, so I don't know if analog trigger would make any difference

SmokyDave

Is there even a proper racing simulation on WiiU anyway?
There's one in the pipeline but I doubt there'll be many, given the lack of analogue triggers.

I mean that's like complaining about 3D platformers being shite on SNES's controller when the thing doesn't even have 1 to begin with!
This topic is proclaiming it as the best controller ever, not the best controller for the current library.

"Responsive enough" is relative. My phone has set the standard for me and the gamepad falls short of that now.
Yeah, people here are saying its better than the DS, but that comparison doesn't matter if you are coming from the expectation of smartphone quality responsiveness and accuracy.

King_Moc

Banned
GTA controls like dogshite anyway, so I don't know if analog trigger would make any difference

Please tell me you aren't serious? In GTA you very regularly have to drive through traffic. Can you drive? If so, next time you're in traffic trying driving and using your accelerator and brake either 100% on or all the off. I look forward to the results.

jerd

Did they use a finger to make that? No. There are such things as capacitive styluses. Look at the art people make on iPads.

Yeah but do you have any idea how expensive those are?

$1.20 plus shipping for 3 on Amazon

Seriously though, if I'm not mistaken that requires a special variant of touch screen, right?

MrHicks

Banned
That's one thing. GamePad adds the best motion sensors ever seen on a controller (using the bow in Zelda is a revelation), great stereo speakers, an independent big screen, touch controls, almost perfect analog sticks and dpad, upcoming NFC features, etc.

But you're SmokyDave, and I probably shouldn't bother.

+ you gotta recharge every 4 hours
beste ever for sure

I really love the gamepad too. I have both Assassin's Creed and Nintendo and I'm surprised how this controller can handle both gimmicky casual games and more traditionnal stuff. It's a very versatile controller. I hope that Nintendo won't totally forget about the Wiimote though, I really loved Skyward Sword, and I'd like to see more Wii Motion Plus goodness. I hope that FPS will implement some gyro controls too, it works really well in Metroid Blast and it was awesome in Uncharted Golden Abyss on PS Vita, can we do that in ZombiU???. I love IR pointing too, but th lack of physical buttons on the wiimote doesn't works well with FPS games. I definitely prefer the gamepad over the PS3 and 360 controlers. But I'm not sure if I prefer the gamepad over Wiimote Plus/Nunchuk and PS Move/navcon, I really like having two separate controlers for each arms, and when used well, motion controls feels awesome.

King_Moc

Banned
+ you gotta recharge every 4 hours
beste ever for sure

Are you taking it on the bus or something. If you're going to play away from your tv for more than 4 hours, then the extra few seconds to take your power adaptor with you isn't that large a hindrance.

Did they use a finger to make that? No. There are such things as capacitive styluses. Look at the art people make on iPads.

I'd like to see seome iPad Art, only black & white WITHOUT zooming in. That's the thing to consider here when talking about Touchscreen precision.

Yeah, I don't mind being able to fine-tune my aim using motion controls, I even appreciated it in Killzone 2 with the Sixaxis. I've also found it handy for pointing at things to scan in ZombiU a little faster than adjusting with the right stick. I can point the right stick in an area around a dot that's "close enough" and then quickly adjust using motion controls.

Top Bottom