• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.
25GB as far as we know.

Indeed, and nothing at all has been said on whether the drive will support dual layered discs. Hopefully, this does not become another excuse.

That brought back a very old flashback. Anyone old enough to remember the days leading up to N64's release? Nintendo, or someone, was claiming that the N64 cartridges were perfectly adequate to store the latest games, because the compression ratio was 8:1 or something like that so that a 64 megabit game was actually equivalent to 64 megabytes and so on.

And then reality hit...

Linkhero1

I never played Eternal Darkness and a sequel on the Wii U is probably one of my most desired announcements lol

Honestly, I don't know if it's worth playing ED now. It felt kind of dated to me when I finished it last month. I'm looking forward to a sequel as well. I'm only looking forward to seeing Retro's game and Eternal Darkness 2 and if I don't get either I will go mad. Everything else will be icing on the cake.

I'd rather Nintendo spend moneyhatting dollars elsewhere, personally.

Like Activision? They need to get a pre-recorded demo of BLOps 2 at Nintendo's conference to compete with MS's pre-recorded demo.

Conor 419

Banned
I fully hope that Nintendo have paid off Rockstar, GTAV is /the/ title. The only other title of such weight that they could announce for the system is WoW.

rhoq

I'm making sure I don't work Monday and Tuesday. I have to see the fireworks go off and I plan on actually watching Sony's conference this time around.

I took off on Tuesday (June 5) so I could be home to watch the Nintendo conference. Will skim through the Microsoft and Sony conferences on Monday night, after work.

Nintendo fans have viewed GTA as the holy grail of third party games going all the way back to the PSX/N64 days. It's mostly wishful thinking and confirmation bias of poor rumours.

Now that Nintendo has a system that can actually keep up with the current generation the likelihood of it appearing is greater, but it will depend on whether Nintendo money hats Rockstar (and I hope they don't), or the Wii U sells quickly within the core market. The latter would guaranty a port.

Final Fantasy use to be this for most of us

Nintendo fans have viewed GTA as the holy grail of third party games going all the way back to the PSX/N64 days. It's mostly wishful thinking and confirmation bias of poor rumours.

Now that Nintendo has a system that can actually keep up with the current generation the likelihood of it appearing is greater, but it will depend on whether Nintendo money hats Rockstar (and I hope they don't), or the Wii U sells quickly within the core market. The latter would guaranty a port.

Why would you hope they don't moneyhat R*? Nintendo have done it in the past for important games & its probably the biggest 3rd party title to be in danger of not being for Wii U ( Given that AC3 is confirmed & Cod is highly likely as well as the EA Sports titles).

That brought back a very old flashback. Anyone old enough to remember the days leading up to N64's release? Nintendo, or someone, was claiming that the N64 cartridges were perfectly adequate to store the latest games, because the compression ratio was 8:1 or something like that so that a 64 megabit game was actually equivalent to 64 megabytes and so on.

And then reality hit...

RE2 showed it could be done.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
To this day I will never understand GTA's appeal. In those games I mostly just run around and create chaos while I run from law enforcement.

Linkhero1

I hope it shows up on the Wii U. Whether Nintendo has to moneyhat for it or not is out of the question. I can't see publishers and developers using the excuse that the console is aimed at a "casual" crowd or "kiddy" crowd or whatever they want to use if the console has GTA V.

To this day I will never understand GTA's appeal. In those games I mostly just run around and create chaos while I run from law enforcement.

That's basically it.

Thraktor

Indeed, and nothing at all has been said on whether the drive will support dual layered discs. Hopefully, this does not become another excuse.

And then reality hit...

And then they managed to squeeze Resident Evil 2 onto one of those cartridges, and all was well with the world.

And a bit of "Where are they now?" trivia about the team who ported RE2 to the N64:

They're now known as
Rockstar San Diego, creators of Red Dead Redemption.

I don´t expect anything "huge" from that button.

I belive it triggers a function to switch to uPad and the feature works on OS level. That means, even if the developer does absolutely NOTHING on "DRC only play" you could still do so with this feature. It would just swap displays between TV and uPad. One display games will be instantly playable on the Pad.

This way the "Play on the new controller" thing would really start to get interesting!

It could also just disable the screen. If you are playing a game that can be played on tv only, you could save a ton of battery life this way!

This seems most likely. The only other thing I can think of off the top of my head is perhaps it is a "sleep" function. It would be great to be able to just hit a button and then be able to resume your game wherever you left off days later.

It'll light up with a tick every time the console does something that Geoff claimed it couldn't.

Indeed! Anytime a game is rendered in true 1080p or the player enjoys a satisfying online experience.

Conor 419

Banned
Okay chums, top five third party titles that could be announced for Wii U?

1. WoW
2. GTAV
3. MGS5
4. FFXIII Vs
5. Gears of War 4

Taker666

I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see western devs more willing to port their games to Vita than Wii U...regardless of its sales. Just a gut feeling.

Discomurf

Yeah that is one of the things I'm really hoping for. Also, you really need to play Eternal Darkness

There is a real chance of this happening. Between Silicon Knights recent comments and the fact that eternaldarkness.com redirects to Nintendo, I'd put my money on it.

This seems most likely. The only other thing I can think of off the top of my head is perhaps it is a "sleep" function. It would be great to be able to just hit a button and then be able to resume your game wherever you left off days later.

I think it may work something like the 3DS or even simpler...

Like pressing the power button -> sleep mode

Pressing and holding the power button for 3 secs -> complete shutdown

HylianTom

Banned
I'd rather Nintendo spend moneyhatting dollars elsewhere, personally.
Same here. It'd be entertaining news to watch, no doubt, but I don't think it'll have the long-term effects that some hope for.

Moneyhat some western Metroidvania-type/action-RPG/stealth/you-get-the-idea games. It's a good weak spot in Nintendo's library to address.

And then they managed to squeeze Resident Evil 2 onto one of those cartridges, and all was well with the world.

And a bit of "Where are they now?" trivia about the team who ported RE2 to the N64:

They're now known as
Rockstar San Diego, creators of Red Dead Redemption.

Resident Evil 2 N64 was a freak of nature. I remember how heavy those N64 carts got towards the end. Those things were dense.

And I'll be damned about that factoid! Thanks for sharing!

1) So.. how much will the Wii U cost?
$299 US/$329 CDN with 16GB Internal Storage

2) And when will the Wii U's Launch Day be?
The Sunday before Black Friday.

3) Your #1 Desired Launch Day Game?
We shall see what is out there then.

4) Any pleasant third-party surprises for the Wii U?
Skyrim With Mod Support.

5) Any predictions of media criticisms for Nintendo's behaviour/substance during E3 Week?
I Don't Know

6) What'll be your preferred food & drink of choice during the Nintendo Conference?
I Don't Know

7) How long will the Nintendo Conference go on, and what'll be the breakdown on time spent between Wii U amd 3DS?

8) Predict: rate the Wii U Launch lineup from 1 (worst) to 10 (best).
7.5/10

9) Predict: any final hardware revelations?
The Ability to use the Wii U controler as a Normal Tablet any where.

10) Predict: any super-special applications that Nintendo's gonna spring on us?
None

11) Predict: With BP now gone, who's the Nintendo fan most likely to be banned from NeoGAF during E3 Week?
I Don't Care

12) Wild-card prediction: anything else?
Epic Developing a game for Nintendo.

Conor 419

Banned
Same here. It'd be entertaining news to watch, no doubt, but I don't think it'll have the long-term effects that some hope for.

Moneyhat some western Metroidvania-type/action-RPG/stealth/you-get-the-idea games. It's a good weak spot in Nintendo's library to address.

And you don't think a colossal third party IP is a 'good weak spot' to address?

it will finally have an HDD? I was not betting my money on it, nice.

No. It has some internal solid state storage, but primarily it will use your own external hard drives. Detriment is that it may be slower than an internal drive*, benefit is that it will cost the consume far less money and will allow for a more power-efficient and cooling-friendly chassis. So YMMV.

This is the route I specifically wanted everybody to use last gen, so that's my bias on the matter.

* this partly depends on the matter of whether or not Nintendo is still using USB 2 or has changed to USB 3 or eSATA. If either of the latter two, then speed won't be much of a factor.

Why would Nintendo moneyhat games that are unlikely to sell particularly well? I think too many of you under-estimate how big GTA actually is, the only 3rd party title that is more important is CoD.

Linkhero1

What about the story?

I can tell you for a fact that the only GTA game I actually finished was GTA IV because I couldn't have the same amount of fun I did with GTA 3, Vice City, and San Andreas. I tend to go offtrack halfway playing them and actually do little side missions like car hunting and killing people. GTA SA Multiplayer for the PC kept me entertained for the longest time.

I disagree. The Wii U needs GTA V. The rest of the games will follow since it's one of the biggest third party ips that Nintendo can get for their home console.

Yeah I don't get why GTA like the 2nd coming or games where you do nothing but waste time and have to make up your own fun, Its only shows how weak the gameplay is from a game design point

when you not doing something they should be something in it that will encourage the player

GTA V is easily the most important game they could get. It's symbolic. CoD would be bigger except we all know that's a given already. They will port their games to anything, they even made CoD for the Wii.

I'm not even a huge GTA fan anymore but we're talking about influence here.

Has this been spoken about yet?

You!

BTW, I just wanted to note to people that this guy was one of the two people who had expressed strong interest at some point in helming a Speculation thread. Just sayin'…

A square. A square box. A square box...to be checked?

Thing that surprises me is that Reggie actually says "tick that box" in the interview, and I didn't realize this until going back and doing the research for the thread. Our collective American-ness autoconverted his words when the meme was created. :O

Fess

Fantastic OT! best one I've ever seen on GAF :)

Why is the thread going to community though? Is it swallowing too many thoughts that could lead to new Nintendo threads? I kind of like just having to go to one single thread to check all the juicy Nintendo stuff floatng around the web.

Is the onboard 8gigs SD-type flash storage or SSD?

Regular flash. I thought somebody had said something about it being 16GB, but I have the memory of a particularly ADD-affected gnat today.

Fantastic OT! best one I've ever seen on GAF :)

I like you guys.

Why is the thread going to community though? Is it swallowing too many thoughts that could lead to new Nintendo threads? I kind of like just having to go to one single thread to check all the juicy Nintendo stuff floatng around the web.

Community is for threads that are regularly posted to over long swaths of time. This is definitely that type of thread.

NB: When news appears here first then a topic is created, it'd be incredibly smart to link back to this thread so as to keep people coming after the move.

I think it may work something like the 3DS or even simpler...

Like pressing the power button -> sleep mode

Pressing and holding the power button for 3 secs -> complete shutdown

That could work. I'm not necessarily sure I want one tap of any button on the controller to power down the console, though. It is pretty out of the way, still. So that could work fine.

I have a feeling w/ the start/select button placement, I'm going to be accidentally pausing the game alot when things get intense, just as on the Wii. :\

You!

BTW, I just wanted to note to people that this guy was one of the two people who had expressed strong interest at some point in helming a Speculation thread. Just sayin'…

Thing that surprises me is that Reggie actually says "tick that box" in the interview, and I didn't realize this until going back and doing the research for the thread. Our collective American-ness autoconverted his words when the meme was created. :O

You know...I couldn't remember which one it was clearly myself. So I quickly googled "reggie check the box," some hits came up, and I assumed it was accurate. tsk tsk on my part.

Btw, great OP! Thanks for all your contributions!

So how much is everyone budgeting for the Wii U launch?

I am already dreading the amount of money I'm going to spend. Right now, I've set my budget at around $800-900USD in what I consider a worst case scenario: $349 console and $59 games.

And that's just for games I'm interested in that we already know about.

I have $320 budgeted. If the price of the system plus "New Super TimeSplitters" plus a taco or something is greater than that, then I'll just wait.

edit: Sorry, $370 budgeted if a new TimeSplitters actually is released, $320 otherwise -- sorry, mixed up my numbers.

Yeah I don't get why GTA like the 2nd coming or games where you do nothing but waste time and have to make up your own fun, Its only shows how weak the gameplay is from a game design point

when you not doing something they should be something in it that will encourage the player

GTA hasn't really been like that for a long time, there is a plot driving the player forward & plenty of the story missions were extremely well-done(for the PS2 games, at least), it's just lots of people find the sandbox gameplay more entertaining( & that's not even getting into the tone of the game which is key to a lot of people).

You also have to take into account it's not just the game itself, it is what is signified by not having the game, look at the Dreamcast & EA Sports titles "controversy".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom