• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.
No mention of Sadist in the OP? Aaawww :(

*Ctrl + F*

*bgassassin*

OP SUCKS!!!

Heh. I had bgassassin in until the last hours before posting but couldn't think of a description which would match the cool factor of this poster. I trust Thread Seven's OP will have a bgassassin section all to its own.

I totally forgot about Sadist :( though. I should certainly have paid particular tribute to all the thread starters. Ah, well, I call thread creation rights for the sixth "Wii UN"* Speculation thread. It'll be great once EviLore enables the new "WebGL thread title" feature.

* What is "UN", Reggie asks himself in front of the crowd at E3 2018? It's "UNusual" but "UNconventional", "UNbridled", "UNtethered", but most of all, any gamer who buys it has automatically "WUN".

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I really wish that XCom: Enemy Unknown would somehow come to Wii-U. The U-Pad is perfect for such a game. :/

OT/

Heh, just saw news footage of today's 'Occupy' protests in Chicago and spotted a guy with a
Pikachu backpack tangling with riot police.

guek.jpg

......? :O

Linkhero1

In exactly two weeks from now... We are watching the delaying of the start of the conference to 9:10am ;)

And then the magic begins!

I'm making sure I don't work Monday and Tuesday. I have to see the fireworks go off and I plan on actually watching Sony's conference this time around.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Not really sure. Are you talking about Nintendo fans being cynical, or everyone in general?

I'm near-convinced that many Nintendo fans have a healthy cynical streak within them, especially after the past decade.

Nah, I mean the press and the nebulous group of consumers that are interested in games, but not enough to have deep brand loyalties or convictions. The people GTA V would sway, I suppose.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
In exactly two weeks from now... We are watching the delaying of the start of the conference to 9:10am ;)

I predict lots of rage, confusion, happiness with hundreds of "HOLY SHIT/WTF NINTENDO" posts in a row.

Also hundreds of "Mario!" or "Zelda!" or "insert Nintendo franchise insert!" posts.

I'm making sure I don't work Monday and Tuesday. I have to see the fireworks go off and I plan on actually watching Sony's conference this time around.

I have the whole week off. Already took my vacation days for this in early march. Just to make sure i really get the whole week :)

I predict lots of rage, confusion, happiness with hundreds of "HOLY SHIT/WTF NINTENDO" posts in a row.

Also hundreds of "Mario!" or "Zelda!" or "insert Nintendo franchise insert!" posts.

Nintendo has to go all out. I hope i see responses similar to E3 2006. Its already a good sign that they have the conference, the dev roundtable and the software showcase to stream!

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Its sad but also damn stupid of that guy.
The biggest problem was that TT not long ago said that they are interested in WiiU but not planning something right now iirc (it was said with "The walking dead" that they are not doing it for WiiU right now).
So, he reveled the new version of the pad and pissed Nintendo (the bigger prob)
and he finally revealed that TT IS working on a WiiU game (which maybe pissed TT)

All in all you have to respect NDAs if you are not Ubisoft.
Them being french protct them and they can "accidentally" leak something from time to time and of course they have not talked about it with Nintendo before... :))

-> You remember the Ubi Rayman "leak" where the pad was shown??
Nothing of that new design was to see from that...so maybe Nintendo planned that with them, telling them "ok you want to promote your game early but then do it 'accidentally' and use the old pad so that we still have that big surprise for E3"

wow, the conspiracy theory :)
No, third-parties haven't received the updated DRC until very recently (may i think), so those guys couldn't have used it in their "prototype showcase of what they can do on Wii U".

Hi Ideaman, just wanted to say I appreciated the tid-bits of info you posted toward the end of the last thread, especially the fact that even developers don't know what the mystery square button does. This seems to indicate that there's some sort of super-secret console feature that Nintendo want to keep wraps on, and the large amount of reserved RAM may have something to do with it (I personally don't believe it's a "switch screens" button because there's no reason to keep that secret from developers).

thanks :) we need someone to check at E3 if the screen size indeed changed. For the square button near power, it's mysterious, but apparently not directly tied to gaming, like an additional input, the Wii U "awkward placed Gamecube's Z".

I don't know if it was kept secret to them, maybe as they just received the controller, this button function wasn't documented yet or they didn't had the time to study the question and know more about it.

Hmmm, but why put a button so close to he power where you coud accidentedly press the wrong one and shut it down. Perhaps it not for a button at all but a jack for some attachment?

Well, if there are still doubts about that thing, then a new tidbit: it's not a trap, not a static, not-movable part, it's really a button.

They always jump the gun.

If the pace at ~8pm EDT had kept up, the thread would have hit 20k by 11pm, but it suddenly stopped being fast around 9pm. I waited until 2am before reaching the point where I risked falling asleep in my chair while waiting to hit the Submit button. :)

But don't worry -- Thread V will yet hit 20k. Happened for the last couple threads, too.

It doesn't matter, all the good titles get changed into crappy ones.

All the crappy titles get changed into crappy ones, too. ;)

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
Ok, my turn:

The Nintendo Wii U Speculation Thread Pre-E3 Survey

1) So.. how much will the Wii U cost? — US$ 299

2) And when will the Wii U's Launch Day be? — November 17th

3) Your #1 Desired Launch Day Game? — Pikmin 3 / Whatever Retro's working on

4) Any pleasant third-party surprises for the Wii U? Grand Theft Auto and Bioshock in some shape or form

5) Any predictions of media criticisms for Nintendo's behaviour/substance during E3 Week? — "Where's the price and date?", "I bet it won't run UE4, Nintendoomed" etc...

6) What'll be your preferred food & drink of choice during the Nintendo Conference? — Industrial doses of cappuccino

7) How long will the Nintendo Conference go on, and what'll be the breakdown on time spent between Wii U amd 3DS? — About 60 minutes. 30 on Wii U, 20 on 3DS / DS, 10 on Wii's last hurrah

8) Predict: rate the Wii U Launch lineup from 1 (worst) to 10 (best). — 8

9) Predict: any final hardware revelations? - An improved touch-screen for the Wii U tablet / Connectivity with the 3DS done right

10) Predict: any super-special applications that Nintendo's gonna spring on us? - Supporting free-to-play / freemium titles (i.e.: Tribes Ascend, League of Legends, Super MNC etc...)

darthdago

wow, the conspiracy theory :)
No, third-parties haven't received the updated DRC until very recently (may i think), so those guys couldn't have used it in their "prototype showcase of what they can do on Wii U".

thanks :) we need someone to check at E3 if the screen size indeed changed. For the square button near power, it's mysterious, but apparently not directly tied to gaming, like an additional input, the Wii U "awkward placed Gamecube's Z".

I don't know if it was kept secret to them, maybe as they just received the controller, this button function wasn't documented yet or they didn't had the time to study the question and know more about it.

Well, if there are still doubts about that thing, then a new tidbit: it's not a trap, not a static, not-movable part, it's really a button.

but it was a try!! :)) (still a believer)

Caramello

Ok I've got a question...
MS and Sony have their press conference on 4th June and Nintendo on 5th June, right?

So the upper poster here says that there will be some interesting nice news about GTA V on 5th of June...
Link:
http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/19341/grand-theft-auto-v-trailer-110211.html

What a coincidence if that is true...really...fuck yeah...

No, E3 runs from June 5 - 7 and Take Two have a booth so that's all he was referring to.

Rösti;38095198 said:
Nice thread fit for Community, GameplayWhore. Though I must say I find it a bit difficult to follow, the separator banners could be bigger (and separated from the white background). I like the GIF animation though, but that could also be wider.

Hah! I halved the size of the banners (and some other pics) minutes before posting because I thought I'd get yelled at for images being too huge.

I remember Mama Robotnik getting yelled at a couple years ago for posting >1MB animations, so I decided it'd be safest to stick to something that felt like an NES size (also because of the game background/sprites being used). It was only afterward when I learned that gigantic gifs were considered normal now.

…holy cripes, I'm still catching up! This thread needs a "Direct Download to Brain" button.

Heh. I had bgassassin in until the last hours before posting but couldn't think of a description which would match the cool factor of this poster. I trust Thread Seven's OP will have a bgassassin section all to its own.

I totally forgot about Sadist :( though. I should certainly have paid particular tribute to all the thread starters. Ah, well, I call thread creation rights for the sixth "Wii UN"* Speculation thread. It'll be great once EviLore enables the new "WebGL thread title" feature.

* What is "UN", Reggie asks himself in front of the crowd at E3 2018? It's "UNusual" but "UNconventional", "UNbridled", "UNtethered", but most of all, any gamer who buys it has automatically "WUN".

But dude, you didn't even mention me in the OP! I bring the funny videos! How could you not mention that? My video should be in the OP now!

:p

Two weeks? Damn, didn't think it was so soon. Its really here. Its really hapening. I just can't believe this. I can't comprehend how such a thing is even possible.

Linkhero1

Ok I've got a question...
MS and Sony have their press conference on 4th June and Nintendo on 5th June, right?

So the upper poster here says that there will be some interesting nice news about GTA V on 5th of June...
Link:
http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/19341/grand-theft-auto-v-trailer-110211.html

What a coincidence if that is true...really...fuck yeah...
I clicked on the link he provided and did not see anything relating to GTA V or Rockstar.

darthdago

No, E3 runs from June 5 - 7 and Take Two have a booth so that's all he was referring to.

not so sure about that!!
Cos if MS or Sony would show something on their show, it would be mentioned with "OH you will see something nice on 4th of June"

But 5th is mentioned, so that could mean GTA V will be in none of the three conferences and only shown on their booth or Nintendo has the "honor" to show it first!!

Thraktor

The important thing, though, is that the button doesn't have any markings on or next to it. Every other button does, and it stands to reason that the button will have some sort of marking on the final controllers. Furthermore, Nintendo obviously have versions of the controller with that button properly marked, as E3 is only two weeks away. The fact that third parties are now receiving controllers without a marking on the button means that Nintendo intentionally made the decision to remove the marking from that button when giving the new controllers to developers. The only reason that they would do that is if they're worried about leaks (justifiably, it seems), so clearly the button pertains to some sort of secret functionality, and the marking would give away that functionality.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
but it was a try!! :)) (still a believer)

I think this leak didn't really harmed Nintendo, but the DRC connected with wire to dev kits sent a too much negative impression to hide a joint-buzz-generating-effort from the two companies to build more anticipation for the Wii U.

I mean, the internetz was cluttered with "lulz they told us it was wireless but it's not in the end ! they lied !!! Wii U underpowered even for controllarz !!!" and other bad reactions.

My two cents, i don't have any info about this event.

I still don't get why so many people think GTA V is all but a lock for the system with no concrete info to indicate this. But I'm not a fan of the series and don't follow news on it so what do I know?

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I think a good guess for that button would be to be able to switch between the controller display and the tv display on the fly.

Linkhero1

I still don't get why so many people think GTA V is all but a lock for the system with no concrete info to indicate this. But I'm not a fan of the series and don't follow news on it so what do I know?

Nothing is concrete as you say, but people wan to believe it's a lock for the system since it's Nintendo's first HD console, their relationship with third parties is slowly changing, and Rockstar has been quiet about the platforms for GTA V. I'm not too interested in the game after the mess that GTA IV was, but I understand why it's necessary for the Wii U to have that game.

Its just common sense and logic that it would come to the Wii U. But its by no means a lock as you said.

Aaand my prediction:

The Nintendo Wii U Speculation Thread Pre-E3 Survey

1) So.. how much will the Wii U cost? — $299

2) And when will the Wii U's Launch Day be? — 11/10/2012

3) Your #1 Desired Launch Day Game? — Pikmin 3

4) Any pleasant third-party surprises for the Wii U? GTA Eternal Darkness 2

5) Any predictions of media criticisms for Nintendo's behaviour/substance during E3 Week? — "Still too kiddy" "Too much Mario" "Too much 3DS focus"

6) What'll be your preferred food & drink of choice during the Nintendo Conference? - Diet Mountain Dew, Pizza

7) How long will the Nintendo Conference go on, and what'll be the breakdown on time spent between Wii U amd 3DS? — About 70 minutes. 40 on Wii U, 30 on 3DS / DS

8) Predict: rate the Wii U Launch lineup from 1 (worst) to 10 (best). — 9

9) Predict: any final hardware revelations? - Vitality sensor built in

10) Predict: any super-special applications that Nintendo's gonna spring on us? - Skype

Sendou

I think this leak didn't really harmed Nintendo, but the DRC connected with wire to dev kits sent a too much negative impression to hide a joint-buzz-generating-effort from the two companies to build more anticipation for the Wii U.

I mean, the internetz was cluttered with "lulz they told us it was wireless but it's not in the end ! they lied !!! Wii U underpowered even for controllarz !!!" and other bad reactions.

My two cents, i don't have any info about this event.

I agree. Not that game companies don't do intentional leaks for the sake of advertising but that one didn't seem like one.

Its sad but also damn stupid of that guy.
The biggest problem was that TT not long ago said that they are interested in WiiU but not planning something right now iirc (it was said with "The walking dead" that they are not doing it for WiiU right now).So, he reveled the new version of the pad and pissed Nintendo (the bigger prob)
and he finally revealed that TT IS working on a WiiU game (which maybe pissed TT)

Wrong TT. You are thinking of Tell Tale. The leak came from Travellers Tales (the Lego (insert franchise) studio).

HylianTom

Banned
Nah, I mean the press and the nebulous group of consumers that are interested in games, but not enough to have deep brand loyalties or convictions. The people GTA V would sway, I suppose.
Ahh.. in that case? I'm not sure.

Reggie speaking bluntly about "checking boxes," this crowd wising-up to the idea that Nintendo is actively targeting them, etc.. I wonder if they'd see GTA V as a token of change towards more core experiences, rather than a sign of some sort of fundamental shift. They already probably view Nintendo suspiciously, too.. but I'n not sure that this year is any better or worse than adjacent years.

The important thing, though, is that the button doesn't have any markings on or next to it. Every other button does, and it stands to reason that the button will have some sort of marking on the final controllers. Furthermore, Nintendo obviously have versions of the controller with that button properly marked, as E3 is only two weeks away. The fact that third parties are now receiving controllers without a marking on the button means that Nintendo intentionally made the decision to remove the marking from that button when giving the new controllers to developers. The only reason that they would do that is if they're worried about leaks (justifiably, it seems), so clearly the button pertains to some sort of secret functionality, and the marking would give away that functionality.

Have we found Wii U's equivalent of the orange port? I have a feeling that whatever it is, it will be a letdown, but gosh darn speculating on it is just so much fun.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Have we found Wii U's equivalent of the orange port? I have a feeling that whatever it is, it will be a letdown, but gosh darn speculating on it is just so much fun.
Well on the controller there's the square button next to the power button and previously the NFC square.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Well on the controller there's the square button next to the power button and previously the NFC square.

It makes perfect sense for that button to be the switch between TV and DRC screen.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
I don't recall ever seeing this discussed here, but what is the storage capacity on Wii U discs? Hoping that it won't run into another PS3 -> 360 ports issue due to space

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!

Yeah, it's a possibility. The fact that its function wasn't, apparently, directly explained and available for third-parties + the absence of markings could hint toward a secret feature (still, the square under the D-Pad isn't marked either but they know it's the NFC sensor). What i've heard is that it's related to the asymmetrical setting of the console, a clear input to switch between the TV and the DRC. It could also be the TV remote function. This was assumption though.
But it's nearly certain it's linked to a system service, a feature, as it's relying on a, it seems, simple button. Basically, you press it, and it activates something, other than the dashboard (they got the Home button for that).

Maybe a On/Off for the mic ? A way to disable the screen but keep playing with games using the traditional input ? There's a lot of possibilities.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Nintendo fans have viewed GTA as the holy grail of third party games going all the way back to the PSX/N64 days. It's mostly wishful thinking and confirmation bias of poor rumours.

Now that Nintendo has a system that can actually keep up with the current generation the likelihood of it appearing is greater, but it will depend on whether Nintendo money hats Rockstar (and I hope they don't), or the Wii U sells quickly within the core market. The latter would guaranty a port.

I don´t expect anything "huge" from that button.

I belive it triggers a function to switch to uPad and the feature works on OS level. That means, even if the developer does absolutely NOTHING on "DRC only play" you could still do so with this feature. It would just swap displays between TV and uPad. One display games will be instantly playable on the Pad.

This way the "Play on the new controller" thing would really start to get interesting!

It could also just disable the screen. If you are playing a game that can be played on tv only, you could save a ton of battery life this way!

Thraktor

A square. A square box. A square box...to be checked?

It'll light up with a tick every time the console does something that Geoff claimed it couldn't.

I don't recall ever seeing this discussed here, but what is the storage capacity on Wii U discs? Hoping that it won't run into another PS3 -> 360 ports issue due to space

Very likely to be 50GB. It's all but confirmed that it's basically a variant of Blu-Ray, and I'm not sure if single-layer Blu-Ray drives even exist, to be honest.

MYE

I never played Eternal Darkness and a sequel on the Wii U is probably one of my most desired announcements lol

Nintendo fans have viewed GTA as the holy grail of third party games going all the way back to the PSX/N64 days. It's mostly wishful thinking and confirmation bias of poor rumours.

Now that Nintendo has a system that can actually keep up with the current generation the likelihood of it appearing is greater, but it will depend on whether Nintendo money hats Rockstar (and I hope they don't), or the Wii U sells quickly within the core market. The latter would guaranty a port.

...So, you're saying that the best-case scenario is that Wii U gets a port six months to a year after the PC/PS3/360 versions? That's pretty grim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom