• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
The power button is recessed like on the Wiimote, so I wouldn't imagine you'll be accidentally pressing it too often. I'd also expect that the mystery button isn't something you'll press very often, given its position on the controller

Well, it does and it doesn't. The problem is that plenty of games won't support it, and people might think that the button's broken when they press it and nothing happens.

Maybe it will be for an infrared lamp, so the camera can pick up your face whilst playing in the dark. *shrugs*. Just brainstorming here.

dream scenario:

Conference starts and Reggie struts out onto the stage. He says "We've heard the critiscm. We know some doubt that we can make a console for all types of gamers. A console that's deeper and wider. That Nintendo is only about the casual player. That Wii U will not be for the core gamer. Well, today we are going to change your mind. Let's start right now:"

New GTA V trailer rolls.
Don't be afraid to dream a big bigger, darling.

Reggie struts out on stage, smacks a prositute, takes a baseball bat to a random member of the press, then carjacks a Kart from Wario and drives it off stage as a GTA V trailer starts

Pocks

The Nintendo Wii U Speculation Thread Pre-E3 Survey

1) So.. how much will the Wii U cost? — $349

2) And when will the Wii U's Launch Day be? — November (18th)

3) Your #1 Desired Launch Day Game? — Pikmin 3

4) Any pleasant third-party surprises for the Wii U? — Valve to announce Big Picture Mode for Wii U Steamworks games.

5) Any predictions of media criticisms for Nintendo's behaviour/substance during E3 Week? — No hard drive / USB 3.0, clearly not next-gen

6) What'll be your preferred food & drink of choice during the Nintendo Conference? — Pizza

7) How long will the Nintendo Conference go on, and what'll be the breakdown on time spent between Wii U amd 3DS? — 70/30

8) Predict: rate the Wii U Launch lineup from 1 (worst) to 10 (best). — 7

9) Predict: any final hardware revelations? — Gamer card

10) Predict: any super-special applications that Nintendo's gonna spring on us? — DRC is a universal remote

Hiltz

Do you think Nintendo changed the tablet design and added analog sticks because of the fans reaction? They seem to pay attention to the "Internet whining" a lot more (Mario Kart patch, folders, Nintendo Direct etc...)

I'm sure Nintendo intended to make some slight changes all along, but they likely wanted to wait for fan reactions and third-party developer feedback after E3. I think the apparent switch to analog sticks was probably done after Nintendo was convinced it would be in its best interest to stick to traditional dual analog in order to avoid any unnecessary controversy. Clearly, the fact that we've seen an updated Wii Upad with analog sticks means that the slide pads didn't have to be used as an alternative ergonomic solution. The last thing Nintendo needs is to have gamers come up with petty excuses to not want to use the Upad.

Here, I'll amend this:

0TnXq.gif
Holy blessed virgin Mary!!!

THESE THREADS

Caramello

Well, it does and it doesn't. The problem is that plenty of games won't support it, and people might think that the button's broken when they press it and nothing happens.

Pretty easy solution, just have a "This operation is not supported with this software" come up on the screen like with a DVD player when you try to skip something and it says "This operation not available here" or something along those lines.

dream scenario:

Conference starts and Reggie struts out onto the stage. He says "We've heard the critiscm. We know some doubt that we can make a console for all types of gamers. A console that's deeper and wider. That Nintendo is only about the casual player. That Wii U will not be for the core gamer. Well, today we are going to change your mind. Let's start right now:"

New GTA V trailer rolls.

That would be amazing if it happened because it means that they would've managed to convince Rockstar to let them show a GTA trailer at E3. That hasn't happened since GTA3. Since then Rockstar has chose to treat all of their game trailers like an event.

Thraktor

Maybe it will be for an infrared lamp, so the camera can pick up your face whilst playing in the dark. *shrugs*. Just brainstorming here.

Yeah, really could be anything. Perhaps it's to do with the online functionality, like a chat button or something. Or, following on from some other people's ideas, it could be a record button. Press it to start recording a video of the game while you're playing it, and when you're done it gets uploaded to your profile for your friends to watch.

Pretty easy solution, just have a "This operation is not supported with this software" come up on the screen like with a DVD player when you try to skip something and it says "This operation not available here" or something along those lines.

Actually, yeah, that makes sense. Still don't think it's a switch screen button, though, what with Nintento withholding details of it from developers.

Caramello

Has anybody seen the supposed Ubisoft dev leak yet!???

Also the general rule of thumb is to leave the best for last, people respond better to an engagement if the end of that engagement is satisfactory. So if Nintendo were to have a GTA trailer at E3, it'd definitely be at the end.

Quite a few times and very fake.

Also the general rule of thumb is to leave the best for last, people respond better to an engagement if the end of that engagement is satisfactory. So if Nintendo were to have a GTA trailer at E3, it'd definitely be at the end.
And before you go....

Bam! Zelda by Epic.
:p

Thraktor

That's assuming that a GTA V trailer is the biggest thing they have to show...

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Have I missed a psuedo confirmation of GTA5? We seem to have moved from "it will probably be there, it makes sense" to people thinking it is basically a lock.

Thraktor

Is such a thing even possible.gif

As big a game as GTA V is, it's already been announced, and it would hardly be a massive surprise for it to come to the Wii U. Nintendo could well have some secret unexpected exclusive lined up which would be much bigger news.

StevieP

Banned
I hate to be "that guy", but you guys burned through 6000 posts in 1 weekend. =\

Does Gameplaywhore happen to have a summary of news from approximately post 14000-20000 in the previous thread? Please and thank you :)

Edit - now reading the first page and there is that summary! D'oh!

Nibel

They announced Chinatown Wars on the stage. And if there is a GTAV version for Wii U, they will do the same with it.

GTA is too big for a third party showreel.

wsippel

Banned
Have I missed a psuedo confirmation of GTA5? We seem to have moved from "it will probably be there, it makes sense" to people thinking it is basically a lock.
Someone said GTAV was coming. Same guy also said he had seen something that was white and green and confirms that Nintendo wouldn't change the name of the system. A couple of days later, the devkit controller was leaked - and it's white and green and says "Wii U" on the front.

Linkhero1

They announced Chinatown Wars on the stage. And if there is a GTAV version for Wii U, they will do the same with it.

GTA is too big for a third party showreel.

It's pretty symbolic as well. Nintendo fans have always wanted a mainline GTA to hit a Nintendo console, but it hasn't happened. If it does happen with GTA V it would be such a waste to pass it off with a bunch of other games and show a three second clip. I used to want a GTA game on a Nintendo console, but I don't care as much now. It would be a nice addition to the Wii U library.

Sirius

Kudos to IdeaMan on his overall divulgatory words of insight.

This thread is moving so fast it is re-appearing in the past under archives...
Relativistic thread progress .. we've beat CERN.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Someone said GTAV was coming. Same guy also said he had seen something that was white and green and confirms that Nintendo wouldn't change the name of the system. A couple of days later, the devkit controller was leaked - and it's white and green and says "Wii U" on the front.

Ok, I remember that. Rather weak IMO.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
The Nintendo Wii U Speculation Thread Pre-E3 Survey

1) So.. how much will the Wii U cost?

$349.99

2) And when will the Wii U's Launch Day be?

November 11th, 2012

3) Your #1 Desired Launch Day Game?

Either Retro's or Miyamoto's new IP

4) Any pleasant third-party surprises for the Wii U?

Major eastern third party dead franchise revival for Wii-U

5) Any predictions of media criticisms for Nintendo's behaviour/substance during E3 Week?

The press will be overwhelming positive about the Wii-U, but one that will happen and get on my nerves:
"Nintendo is still bringing the same old franchises to the table"; even though Nintendo will have over 5 new IPs at E3

6) What'll be your preferred food & drink of choice during the Nintendo Conference?

Chick-Fil-A!

7) How long will the Nintendo Conference go on, and what'll be the breakdown on time spent between Wii U amd 3DS?

1 hour [40(Wii-U)/18(3DS)/2(other)]

8) Predict: rate the Wii U Launch lineup from 1 (worst) to 10 (best).

9, Vita-like but with more noteworthy franchise ports + big Nintendo first part showing

9) Predict: any final hardware revelations?

Biometric feedback

10) Predict: any super-special applications that Nintendo's gonna spring on us?

E-Reader

11) Predict: With BP now gone, who's the Nintendo fan most likely to be banned from NeoGAF during E3 Week?

Ideaman (and SNESFreak :p)

12) Wild-card prediction: anything else?

Lego City Stories side by side with GTAV at the conference

Thraktor

I really think people are reading too much into that one. I do think we'll probably see GTA V on the Wii U, but for other reasons.

edit: all is forgiven. i love you, gameplaywhore

Heh. For what it's worth, I totally expected the title to be changed (though not that quickly!). The emoticon "table flipping" meme was used for two reasons:

A) The big topic at hand during this week (and, in fact, during all of Thread V, considering that we now know Harker was talking about sticks in a roundabout fashion) was that we had just discovered that Nintendo had just "thrown out" the old controller, and that's what the ascii was portraying.

B) Shigery Miyamoto is a gigantic reason why that particularly ascii meme exists in the first place, as its usage spike (according to my research) came after the interview in which he talks about upending tea tables to get developers to think about development in innovative ways.

So… this is just me letting you all know that I didn't just toss it up there because it looked funny. :)

And now I have to do catching up again. By the way, Post #18 will be holding an ongoing copy of the News Summary. It also has the countdown and links to all the speculation threads, though those particular items will be moved into the OP once I get a chance to do some spring cleaning up there.

edit: Also, I hope I didn't put too much of a delay into the animated title gif of the first post. :p

HylianTom

Banned
Hmm. I'd love for it to be true, as the fireworks that ensue would make for quite an entertaining day/week, and it would be ultra-helpful for Nintendo's cache with core gamers. But I'll believe it when I see it.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Do you think we're just in a particularly cynical year? That perhaps Nintendo could do everything exactly as they are now but have gotten better reception last year or next?

Just feels like everyone is really grouchy about 8th gen.

darthdago

I really think people are reading too much into that one. I do think we'll probably see GTA V on the Wii U, but for other reasons.

It will definately come to Wii U Rockstar will not leave money lay down on the road.

Beside that:
“Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.” (Arthur Conan Doyle, Scottish writer, creator of the detective Sherlock Holmes, 1859-1930)

Impossible = Rockstar leave money on the road and not makeing easy cash with that game on a Nintendo plattform (getting money for the games sold plus some from Nintendo)
Truth = GTA V will be on WiiU (I guess launchwindow)

Nibel

Most obvious idea:

Lots of possibilites:

- use of the DRC screen as rear-view
- if someone calls you, you can accept or decline the call like on a iPhone
- if someone talks to you via your ingame mobile phone, the speaker of the controllers can be used
- scroll through menus, statistics, phonecalls etc. via DRC screen
- if the drug economy system from Chinatown Wars is back: put that stuff on the DRC to create a minigame - maybe make it even possible to play without playing GTAV itself

Etc.

GTAV would really make use of that DRC and I think it can offer a great and unique experience which other platforms can't copy.

1) So.. how much will the Wii U cost? $299.99

2) And when will the Wii U's Launch Day be? November 18, 2012

3) Your #1 Desired Launch Day Game? Not sure yet. I'll decide when we see the announcements at E3.

4) Any pleasant third-party surprises for the Wii U? GTA V

5) Any predictions of media criticisms for Nintendo's behavior/substance during E3 Week? Hardware being dated, or not enough Third Party games.

6) What'll be your preferred food & drink of choice during the Nintendo Conference? Breakfast I guess.

7) How long will the Nintendo Conference go on, and what'll be the breakdown on time spent between Wii U and 3DS?

The conference- 1 hour
3DS- 15-20 minutes
WiiU- 35-40 minutes

8) Predict: rate the Wii U Launch lineup from 1 (worst) to 10 (best). Can't decide since we barely know anything about the launch lineup.

9) Predict: any final hardware revelations? The return of the Vitality Sensor?

10) Predict: any super-special applications that Nintendo's gonna spring on us? The rumored Cloud Base service, and their OS.

11) Predict: With BP now gone, who's the Nintendo fan most likely to be banned from NeoGAF during E3 Week? BY2K, Snesfreak, or Acebandage.

12) Wild-card prediction: anything else? Yoshi's Island Wii U/3DS

HylianTom

Banned
Do you think we're just in a particularly cynical year? That perhaps Nintendo could do everything exactly as they are now but have gotten better reception last year or next?

Just feels like everyone is really grouchy about 8th gen.
Not really sure. Are you talking about Nintendo fans being cynical, or everyone in general?

I'm near-convinced that many Nintendo fans have a healthy cynical streak within them, especially after the past decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom