• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDX

Beat you by about eleven thousand, six hundred posts! :D
applelith.jpeg

(o Y o)

nikatapi

I lost your post about the DRC and the classic controllers IdeaMan, thanks for posting, interesting stuff.

One of my wishes is that if Nintendo releases a new classic controller, it would be a standalone controller, with no need to connect it to a wiimote or something.
The best case scenario would be a revamped wavebird, with rumble. It would be the optimal thing nintendo could do for local multiplayer after the support for multiple DRCs.

Zero148

hyped - games, in special Lego City Stories, really interested how it turnes out

nervous - also games, no big first party game (only NSMB and other Mii Games beside LCS) and only half baked ports of PS360 game

But overall I'm optimistic Nintendo will blow me away, the year wait time cannot be useless

Tonight, after the tidbit of yesterday about dev kit, history of DRC & possible infos on a Wii U classic controller (it has been overlooked), i'll post an intriguing information i received from a different source, concerning Nintendo, social projects, medias, etc.

Just a little notice in advance, this way people know they will read another news tonight rather than believing they won't hear anything today :)

Despite catching, archiving, and finding that interesting, I somehow missed the bolded part at the bottom about the ports still existing for a screenless controller. Given my above post about my most nervous thing being the chance of no untethered controllers, this gives me some comfort.

thefro

Despite catching, archiving, and finding that interesting, I somehow missed the bolder part at the bottom about the ports still existing for a screenless controller. Given my above post about my most nervous thing being the chance of no untethered controllers, this gives me some comfort.

You missed this one too. The Youtube/social media stuff is more speculation but Nintendo being an HBO Go partner is new news.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=38423216&postcount=11458

It will still have strong symbolic meaning the first time this happens, though. Some people will even call it a "Megaton". Remember that it was Final Fantasy that symbolized the "downfall" of Nintendo's grip on third party developers and the market.

There's really no reason for them not to support it. The Wii U will have at least a decent sized fanbase in Japan just due to how well Mario titles sell there now. So, I can't imagine that they'd want to pass that up. But i'm not sure that we'll see them announce the support at E3. I'd think that Nintendo would want to make a bigger deal out of it by having FF15 announced at one of their shows.

Wait, what? I'm going to need a citation for that.

I've never seen an interview from Kojima where he claimed that Nintendo consoles are for kids. This is what he's said about the Wii U

“What I’m making right now, in my mind, is the best,” he said – but declined to say any more, as Project Ogre is still under wraps. He did say it likely wouldn’t appear on Wii U, though.

“The way the player interacts with [Wii U} is very different than any other device out there. So if I were to make a game for the Wii U, it would have to be a unique game," he explained.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/03/20/kojimas-project-ogre-will-tackle-delicate-and-taboo-issues/

I'd hope that Nintendo scheduled a meeting with him after those comments. The last thing that they need is major titles missing their console because of the idea that developers need to do something innovative with the controller.

Elfteiroh

Hype: Seeing the OS and seeing how they use the hardware in game designs!
Nervous: The reactions. I reallly hope it'll be well received. :S

*SNIP*
I've never seen an interview from Kojima where he claimed that Nintendo consoles are for kids. This is what he's said about the Wii U
*SNIP*
Yes. When he explained why he wanted Snake in Brawl, he said it was because his kid didn't know him because they were playing only on nintendo consoles and were too young to play Metal Gear, and he wanted him to be able to play with his character.. If I remind correctly.

HylianTom

Banned
There's no point at this stage, frankly. Opinions will be shaped and changed on Tuesday. Any WiiU thread in Gaming is nothing short of a trap at this moment in time.

Pretty damn astute. I'm finding most Nintendo conversation of this nature to be a bit too loaded, too baited. Sad.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Tuesday will be the longest day, we have very limited access to internet at work, but i will arrive home 2 hours before conference...

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
hyped - games, in special Lego City Stories, really interested how it turnes out

nervous - also games, no big first party game (only NSMB and other Mii Games beside LCS) and only half baked ports of PS360 game

But overall I'm optimistic Nintendo will blow me away, the year wait time cannot be useless

Almost forgot this one. Going to be huge if Traveller's Tales do it right.

NateDrake

http://techtroid.co.uk/rumour-wii-u-has-a-form-of-achievements-11825
According to a developer we spoke to this afternoon, the Wii U will have its own form of achievements.

The developer stated that the ‘achievements system’ has its own “Nintendo-spin” that makes it quite unlike the Trophies and Gamerscores we all know so well.

They added that it will be a system that “tracks gamer-time”, “scores” and “more”.

Wonder if anyone here can confirm or deny these claims.

Where does this "Kojima has something against Nintendo" stuff come from?

Has everything to do with how the Metal Gear franchise has been supported on Nintendo's platforms. There's a long and rich history of the franchise showing up ridiculously late and often not at all. When it does show up, there's often something that hamstrings any chance it would have of being successful.

Here's the rosy PR article version of the situation:
http://ds.ign.com/articles/121/1218798p1.html

Here's a less rosy view of it:
The NES port is missing the final boss fight
Metal Gear GBC was great, no complaints there
Twin Snakes gets a lot of flak for having new cutscenes that don't necessarily fit the source material and a first person mode that makes the game way easier. Nintendo (Silicon Knights) also developed (and probably more or less paid for) this themselves.
MGS2 never appeared on a Nintendo platform
MGS4 as well
MGS3D is completely hamstrung by Metal Gear Solid HD collection. It's a way better product and came out about the same time.

So yeah, all recent bullshit quotes aside it's undeniable that his output on Nintendo's platforms has been subpar from day one.

Personally I'm not a fan of these titles, but I DO care about Castlevania. Since Kojima's studio had a hand in CV LoS it makes me seriously wonder if we're even going to see it on Wii U at all. Big missed opportunity if it isn't, especially if they make it more Metroidvania-esque this time out.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
There is achievements in Xenoblade, so maybe that's a sign that they're willing to put it on the console.

Yeah, i know it probably doesn't mean anything.

The real question is: What will they be called?

I'm betting on Nintendo Coins or something.

You earn Coins on Club Nintendo too (at least in NA, I believe they have different names in other regions) so if they are Coins on the U then there might be some sort of connection between the two.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member

Synonyms to Achievement:

accomplishment, acquirement, acquisition, act, actualization, attainment, completion, conquest, consummation, contrivance, creation, deed, effectuation, effort, enactment, encompassment, execution, exploit, feat, fulfillment, hit, masterpiece, performance, production, realization, stroke, success, tour de force, triumph, victory

Synonyms to Trophy:

blue ribbon, booty, citation, crown, cup, decoration, gold star, gold, guerdon, keepsake, laurels, medal, memento, memorial, palm, prize, reminder, ribbon, souvenir, spoils, token

Out of these, I think "act", "gold star", "medal", "token" and "triumph" are the best choices. I suppose "accomplishment" could work as well though it's a long word and not as easy as achievement.

Kjellson

Rösti;38433142 said:
Synonyms to Achievement:

Synonyms to Trophy:

Out of these, I think "act", "gold star", "medal", "token" and "triumph" are the best choices. I suppose "accomplishment" could work as well though it's a long word and not as easy as achievement.
"Tour de Force" would be so awesome.

Akai

It would be cool if it tracked gamerscore as Mario coins or something and then once you reach a certain level you could then use them to purchase online stuff. I know it won't happen but it would be cool.

As if we needed a reason to make Achievements even MORE annoying. In-game unlockables, maybe, but never an actual physical product...

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Rösti;38433142 said:
Synonyms to Achievement:

Synonyms to Trophy:

Nintendo Booty it is!!!

BD1

Banned

They should just use the Smash Bros. trophy system, only on a scale of the entire platform.

Moments in games captured like collectible statues.

Defeat Bowser in Super Mario Utopia? You get a statue of Mario defeating Bowser

Find the Master Sword in Zelda? A trophy of Link pulling it from its pedastal.

Kill 100 Metroids? Samus blowing up a Metroid.

And we could access all our Friends "trophy rooms" and browse their collections from the Wii U Mii Plaza.

Rösti;38433142 said:
Synonyms to Achievement:
accomplishment, acquirement, acquisition, act, actualization, attainment, completion, conquest, consummation, contrivance, creation, deed, effectuation, effort, enactment, encompassment, execution, exploit, feat, fulfillment, hit, masterpiece, performance, production, realization, stroke, success, tour de force, triumph, victory

Synonyms to Trophy:
blue ribbon, booty, citation, crown, cup, decoration, gold star, gold, guerdon, keepsake, laurels, medal, memento, memorial, palm, prize, reminder, ribbon, souvenir, spoils, token

I still think that "Reward" would be nice. It rings of the player being given something for their efforts. But I'm more interested in what that something is. As I've mentioned several times earlier, I want cross-game unlocks. That would transcend awesome all the way into the realm of "fucking awesome".

HylianTom

Banned
Screw my body, my boner is ready.

I'm sorry, HylianTom, the online stuff is what I'm most excited to hear about at E3 and how Nintendo is going to be in it to win it.

No need to apologize! There are certain online features I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see:
- integration with Club Nintendo accounts
- ability to watch friends' gaming sessions live
- accomplishments for Club Nintendo coins

I'm not that anti-online, haha..

All I need is an online that is functional and simple. Honestly can't bring myself to really care about more than that. All extra features will be bonus.

Christine

Rösti;38433142 said:
Synonyms to Achievement:

Synonyms to Trophy:

I like "kudos", myself.

Kjellson

They should just use the Smash Bros. trophy system, only on a scale of the entire platform.

Moments in games captured like collectible statues.

Defeat Bowser in Super Mario Utopia? You get a statue of Mario defeating Bowser

Find the Master Sword in Zelda? A trophy of Link pulling it from its pedastal.

Kill 100 Metroids? Samus blowing up a Metroid.

And we could access all our Friends "trophy rooms" and browse their collections from the Wii U Mii Plaza.
Damn you. Now I'm going to be disappointed in whatever it is.

The number one reason I want a good online component is so that I don't have to hear people bitch about it all generation. Everything else is just icing.

Not that it will stop people from bitching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom