• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Don't know/ care about Nintendo branded HDD, but think 8GB won't be much considering the games are coming on blu-rays and a download of one is likely to be more than 8GB! At least they wouldn't make some jackass anti-consumer decision like proprietary storage...

USB 2.0 is enough to run Wii games via homebrew, but I don't know how that compares to modern blu-ray speeds and so on.

Well, if they increase the size of the flash memory, it's a very late change as it was 8GB nearly all this last year on dev kits.

For the USB 2.0, don't know, maybe the interest of a Nintendo branded HDD is to reach a certain level of access/loading time, revolutions per minute, to run the games comfortably.

Well, if they increase the size of the flash memory, it's a very late change as it was 8GB nearly all this last year on dev kits.

For the USB 2.0, don't know, maybe the interest of a Nintendo branded HDD is to reach a certain level of access/loading time, revolutions per minute, to run the games comfortably.
Oh, so you were speculating about a non USB 2.0 official hard drive? I don't see it happening... at least I hope not, I'm happy to just use whichever hard drive I can get my hands on.

lttp on this video. What on earth? That has either got to be a very clever fake or he has a very close friend or relative deep in the industry with a dev unit? But yeah, he's not even really playing the game.

It was a Nintendo event in spain, because that living room was done for it and you could go and try the console, but people cant understand why theres also a BF3 video there.
The guy is an idiot, trust me, he cant even edit videos properly and much less make that good fake.
As he has turned into an internet spanish celebrity (because he is so bad his good) im pretty sure the guy just sended the videos of him playing and his "song" to someone who knows how to edit a video to do this "videoclip", and while the zelda and aliens parts are real, he also edited a part where he does like the guy is playing BF3 because in that part of the "song" he is talking about playing that game.
Thats probably what happened.
So yes he played the wii u at an event.
BF3 part is the only fake part because in that part Salvador Raya is "singing" about BF3.

Theres no more to it.

onilink88

I mean, I agree and think that it certainly seems like poor support. But, I don't think Kojima was involved with the NES games (he was involved with that Japanese computer...MSX I think?), and something likely happened where he put out a game for the Playstation. Then, it just kind of stuck. I don't think it's a bias or anything, but sometimes these things stick and the audience is there. Not entirely comparable, but if you look at the Harvest Moon games, they've been primarily for Nintendo systems, though they've hopped onto other systems from time to time.

Or money. There's always money.

Yeah, I don't feel that there's a bias there, either. Just like you said, maybe the audience for their games just isn't there.

Oh yeah, and I'M SO DAGGON HYPED!!!

imager.php

This is quite possibly the greatest thing I've seen all week. D:

You get a comment like "we'd have to do a unique game for that platform" when he's talking about engine support and all the N fans basically just give him the bird.

Personally, I think it's great he wants to get creative with the controller. Plus, it's not like he dismissed engine support for the platform or anything.

And rightly so, because his support of Nintendo's platforms has been trashy at best from day one and often in the most aggravating fashion possible.

Well, I suppose I can understand where some of the frustration comes from.

And there's no reason to believe it'll change. Ever.

Now, this I disagree with. He's going to have to start supporting Nintendo platforms sooner or later whether he likes it or not due to inflating budgets and whatnot.

Eradicate

Did we get anywhere with the "Nintendo achievements" rumor?

I read about it not too long ago, but looking into it, I can't find anymore information about the finer points.

Just in considering a lot of Nintendo's moves lately, they have been pushing social things quite heavily and trying to create more "experiences." I mean, look at this E3. They've got everything covered. All social media is taken care of, they are planting hidden messages in their magazine and online, and hosting videos more and more. I can certainly see this new push going towards achievements, which I'm sure could be posted up anywhere to display. Knowing Nintendo and their "reward" focus too, I can see them giving out achievements with each one being a "coin" that you can save up to get some sort of reward with.

imager.php

I apologize for the unduly late response. I'm incredibly busy nowadays. :(

Neither have I. It seems that certain Nintendo fans are just reading what they want to read (ironic, isn't it).

Uh, people here aren't thinking of it with a conspiratorial slant towards Kojima (well, I'm not). They just rightfully don't like it when he does things like declining to put Project Ogre on Wii U yet he's still willing to pour time and money into it for the Vita? And his excuses for whether or not he'd make a game for the system were that the Wii U's touch screen controller and 'features are specific and unique' was seen as lame and hypocritical considering he had no such qualms porting Snake Eater to the 3DS.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Oh, so you were speculating about a non USB 2.0 official hard drive? I don't see it happening... at least I hope not, I'm happy to just use whichever hard drive I can get my hands on.

i said "don't know" about the speed of USB 2.0, is it enough to run HD games properly from them, maybe with sort of transfer in the flash memory ?

For the USB 2.0, it was like that until V4 dev kit included, so no speculations here. And it doesn't seems USB3 ports were added on the "V5" ones (not 100% sure for that, but my sources didn't reported it to me if they implemented that).

Aguila

#ICONIC
What did you expect?
Seriously, anyone that was expecting games was setting themselves up for disappointment.

Well, that is what I was expecting but I was hoping for some teasers (like maybe revealing the names of the "initial game releases" they mentioned on their previous facebook post).

Eradicate

Well, that is what I was expecting but I was hoping for some teasers (like maybe revealing the names of the "initial game releases" they mentioned on their previous facebook post).

Depending on how they go about it, maybe they might talk about "possible" game ideas or controller usages that could hint at what games we can expect! This will be fun to watch!

onilink88

Uh, people here aren't thinking of it with a conspiratorial slant towards Kojima (well, I'm not).

There are certainly Nintendo fans who look at it from a "conspiratory" angle.

They just rightfully don't like it when he does things like declining to put Project Ogre on Wii U yet he's still willing to pour time and money into it for the Vita?

Ah, see. Now this is a good argument. But perhaps he doesn't he doesn't see an audience for "Project Ogre" with Nintendo fans. Maybe the it was too late in development to be ported to the Wii U (much like what we're hearing with RE6). I don't know, but I want the exact reasons from his mouth, and his mouth only.

And his excuses for whether or not he'd make a game for the system were that the Wii U's touch screen controller and 'features are specific and unique'

But he didn't say "I don't want to make games for the Wii U do its unique features", rather, he said "If I'm going to make a game for the Wii U, I want to take advantage of its unique features". There's a large nuance between those two statements. And, as I've previously stated, I appreciate the fact that he wants to get creative with the system.

Anyways, I just think it's too early to pass judgement.

i said "don't know" about the speed of USB 2.0, is it enough to run HD games properly from them, maybe with sort of transfer in the flash memory ?

For the USB 2.0, it was like that until V4 dev kit included, so no speculations here. And it doesn't seems USB3 ports were added on the "V5" ones (not 100% sure for that, but my sources didn't reported it to me if they implemented that).
Righto, follow you now. Someone more techy should answer. I just know that Wii has no trouble playing games off SD cards and USB Hard Drives. And I think you can play games on 360 (and PS3?) via USB devices these days but I've never tried.

Ah, see. Now this is a good argument. But perhaps he doesn't he doesn't see an audience for "Project Ogre" with Nintendo fans. Maybe the it was too late in development to be ported to the Wii U (much like what we're hearing with RE6). I don't know, but I want the exact reasons from his mouth, and his mouth only.
too bad the only way you could possibly get an answer would be if someone from the media asked...which they wont.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

USB 2.0 is more then fast enough for game play. It's a lot faster then BD or DVD.

Personally, I think it's great he wants to get creative with the controller. Plus, it's not like he dismissed engine support for the platform or anything.

Well, I suppose I can understand where some of the frustration comes from.

Now, this I disagree with. He's going to have to start supporting Nintendo platforms sooner or later whether he likes it or not due to inflating budgets and whatnot.

There's over 20 years of history of him utterly failing to provide decent support for Nintendo's platforms, with them repeatedly making obvious (and sometimes expensive) moves to get his stuff on their platforms. They've even gone as far as providing an entire development staff, marketing dollars, and prominent billing in their press conferences.

At this point it's "severed head of Shinji Mikami" territory. As far as I'm concerned, no way it happens unless the guy loses his job. Which would significantly damage the franchise.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?

I did a quick check on this as far as (continuous) read speeds are concerned.
The bottom line is as long as you use a good quality USB2.0 drive you should be fine.
Nintendo would be smart to publish a "consumer guideline" document on what drives are supported so customers don't end up buying a cheap and slow drive and missing out, and also in order to ensure developers that software installation is a non-issue.

the details are as follows:
Blu Ray x1 read speed is 36 Mbit/sec but no commercial drive is any slower than x2 because you need at least 54 Mbit/sec to play movies. Sony went with the cheapest drive possible which is x2 (=72 Mbit/sec) because they needed to keep costs low. As a result they created a severe bottle-neck in data access (even slower than the 360 DVD drive) and this has hampered developers all through the generation. Nintendo would be stupid to repeat this mistake, especially since prices have gone down a lot since 2006.

Therefor I am assuming Nintendo will go with x4 Bluray which means 144 Mbit/sec for continuous reads. This puts Wii U slightly above the 360, which had a x12 DVD drive at 132 Mbit/sec maximum read speed.

Now I don't know what MS used for a hard drive but a good USB 2.0 drive today manages actual transfer rates of 22-26 MByte/sec = 176-208 Mbit/sec. This is also something I can attest to having recently purchased such a drive and doing the comparisons myself. Therefor as long as the drive doesn't drop below 18 Mbyte/sec (=144 Mbit/sec) during continuous transfers, it shouldn't make a difference to the software as far as data being delivered.

There are crappy USB 2.0 drives in the market that don't do 18 Mbyte/sec continuous, but as long as customers know to avoid them, we should be fine.

Donnie

Don't know/ care about Nintendo branded HDD, but think 8GB won't be much considering the games are coming on blu-rays and a download of one is likely to be more than 8GB! At least they wouldn't make some jackass anti-consumer decision like proprietary storage...

USB 2.0 is enough to run Wii games via homebrew, but I don't know how that compares to modern blu-ray speeds and so on.

I'd imagine the Flash memory will probably be used for game saves, smaller downloads and also some caching from the disc drive. With external storage being required for full retail game downloads.

Also AFAIK the fastest blu-ray drive is 12x which is 54MB/s, USB2 is capable of 60MB/s maximum. The drive in PS3 was only 2x which is only 9MB/s.

japtor

big post about contiguous read speeds.
And that's not taking into account random access time. I forget exactly but when I looked it up a while ago, optical discs had random access times in the hundreds of milliseconds, like 100 to 300-400, while HDs are around 10ms (with SSDs being sub 1ms). This is generally why HDs/flash drives feel much faster than optical drives.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
USB 2.0 is more then fast enough for game play. It's a lot faster then BD or DVD.

then it's reassuring, i thought the situation wasn't ideal on xbox360 for example, with huge loading times, etc, and it could have been worse with bigger textures to load, more intricate content, on Wii U. But knowing Nintendo, even if it's just USB 2.0, they will make sure the content played from it will be in an optimal way (directly through the HDD ? using a part of the flash memory ?)

onilink88

There's over 20 years of history of him utterly failing to provide decent support for Nintendo's platforms, with them repeatedly making obvious (and sometimes expensive) moves to get his stuff on their platforms. They've even gone as far as providing an entire development staff, marketing dollars, and prominent billing in their press conferences.

Can't say much against this.

At this point it's "severed head of Shinji Mikami" territory. As far as I'm concerned, no way it happens unless the guy loses his job. Which would significantly damage the franchise.

Well, guess we'll have to wait and see.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
The bottom line is as long as you use a good quality USB2.0 drive you should be fine.
Nintendo would be smart to publish a "consumer guideline" document on what drives are supported so customers don't end up buying a cheap and slow drive and missing out, and also in order to ensure developers that software installation is a non-issue.

Blu Ray x1 read speed is 36 Mbit/sec but no commercial drive is any slower than x2 because you need at least 54 Mbit/sec to play movies. Sony went with the cheapest drive possible which is x2 (=72 Mbit/sec) because they needed to keep costs low. As a result they created a severe bottle-neck in data access (even slower than the 360 DVD drive) and this has hampered developers all through the generation. Nintendo would be stupid to repeat this mistake, especially since prices have gone down a lot since 2006.

Therefor I am assuming Nintendo will go with x4 Bluray which means 144 Mbit/sec for continuous reads. This puts Wii U slightly above the 360, which had a x12 DVD drive at 132 Mbit/sec maximum read speed.

Now I don't know what MS used for a hard drive but a good USB 2.0 drive today manages actual transfer rates of 22-26 MByte/sec = 176-208 Mbit/sec. This is also something I can attest to having recently purchased such a drive and doing the comparisons myself. Therefor as long as the drive doesn't drop below 18 Mbyte/sec (=144 Mbit/sec) during continuous transfers, it shouldn't make a difference to the software as far as data being delivered.

There are crappy USB 2.0 drives in the market that don't do 18 Mbyte/sec continuous, but as long as customers know to avoid them, we should be fine.

This is why there's a strong possibility of a Nintendo branded HDD, for people who don't want to live the hassle to choose a good enough external hard drive from a lot of different brand.

+ explanations yes for folks who want to plug their own hard drive.

Roo

In case Nintendo doesn't do this (consumer guideline)
we should do it at least here on GAF.
I don't want to make a mistake on this issue >=(

japtor

In case Nintendo doesn't do this (consumer guideline)
we should do it at least here on GAF.
I don't want to make a mistake on this issue >=(
Unless you get an old small drive or a fucked up one, USB 2.0 will be the limiting factor rather than the HD itself.

(well random small transfers suck on platter drives, but they suck worse on optical drives...flash based drives are the only way around that)

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Unless you get an old small drive or a fucked up one, USB 2.0 will be the limiting factor rather than the HD itself.

(well random small transfers suck on platter drives, but they suck worse on optical drives...flash based drives are the only way around that)

this is NOT true.
I purchased a USB 2.0 HDD last summer and did a lot searching. Unless something drastic has changed since then, no USB 2.0 HDD is even close to reaching the theoretical maximum transfer speed of USB.
At most they are at half that number.

edit: adding a source for future reference in case someone on GAF decides to write a guide for buying an external hdd for Wii U

"the full real-life maximum throughput of USB 2.0 is approximately 32 MB/s" according to Tom's Hardware
(theoretical maximum for USB2.0 is 60 MB/s)

Elfteiroh

Less than 4 hours, OMG, I have to go stock up on food stuff for this momentous event.

Sadly I'm working during the presentation... If I'm lucky it'll be streamed right during my break. But I'm pretty certain there will be no way to watch it on my iPhone... T_T

TunaLover

Someone could add me to the Majora´s Mask image with the others users? D;
I want to be with you when the moon finally gets the earth. ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom