• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I don't know why, but I'm starting to worry about how much the Wii U will sell in Japan. With Nintendo showing a strong Western presence for the Wii U, I really wonder about the smaller Japanese games.

I remember mere minutes after a Japanese 3DS reveal conference, Konami announced Love Plus and others showed off games, too. I hope something similar happens now.

Nintendo can easily get games to attract the Japanese gamer. I'm sure Namco wouldn't mind porting iDOLM@STER for another round of money grabbing.

It's the western gamers they need to prove things to.

There's no way Nintendo had a playable version of BF3 for Wii U that they decided to show off to a few select Spaniards, I'm afraid. If that part is fake, it is unlikely any other part of it is real.

Well I dont know that, but that was really a wiiU, and that living room was really a thing done by NoE here. Also it was not only done for a few people, you could go to try it if you want it. Was it really BF3 thought or the ubisoft shooter game?

Instro

Repost as it was drowned out during the Nintendo Direct announcement:

As exotic and expensive MULTI is, it seems customers actually get something in return. Well, the company would already be out of business if that wasn't the case I guess...

Huh, that's pretty neat. Cool find.

Its less than six hours!

OH MY GAWD!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Please, let them show the OS/Online features/confirm achievements/confirm a option to play only on the controller for every game (lol)/OSFeatures.

Please Goddess.

Amen.

Developers have had no access to the arm chip right? Its pretty much just for the os and they have barely any idea of how that's works until recently?

onilink88

I apologize for the unduly late response. I'm incredibly busy nowadays. :(

I've never seen an interview from Kojima where he claimed that Nintendo consoles are for kids.

Neither have I. It seems that certain Nintendo fans are just reading what they want to read (ironic, isn't it).

Has everything to do with how the Metal Gear franchise has been supported on Nintendo's platforms. There's a long and rich history of the franchise showing up ridiculously late and often not at all. When it does show up, there's often something that hamstrings any chance it would have of being successful.

Here's the rosy PR article version of the situation:
http://ds.ign.com/articles/121/1218798p1.html

Here's a less rosy view of it:
The NES port is missing the final boss fight
Metal Gear GBC was great, no complaints there
Twin Snakes gets a lot of flak for having new cutscenes that don't necessarily fit the source material and a first person mode that makes the game way easier. Nintendo (Silicon Knights) also developed (and probably more or less paid for) this themselves.
MGS2 never appeared on a Nintendo platform
MGS4 as well
MGS3D is completely hamstrung by Metal Gear Solid HD collection. It's a way better product and came out about the same time.

So yeah, all recent bullshit quotes aside it's undeniable that his output on Nintendo's platforms has been subpar from day one.

Personally I'm not a fan of these titles, but I DO care about Castlevania. Since Kojima's studio had a hand in CV LoS it makes me seriously wonder if we're even going to see it on Wii U at all. Big missed opportunity if it isn't, especially if they make it more Metroidvania-esque this time out.

I admit, that's pretty damning evidence for poor support of their platforms. But I still think it requires a leap to come to the conclusion that the man has any sort of bias towards them. Maybe I'm naive, maybe I don't understand the way the industry operates, but I would think that there's more to it than biases/grudges when determining why certain games don't make it on certain platforms (i.e.: technical reasons, financial viability, lack of resources, etc.).

Also, I don't understand why MGS4 is on your list. Pretty apparent why it didn't make it on the Wii. :p

Anyways, wonder what the chances are of seeing Shin Megami Tensei IV at E3...

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
As promised, an appetizer before the Nintendo Direct :)

The Wii U storage situation

Flash memory and SD cards

- Until the V4 dev kit (included) in possession of companies until a few weeks ago, the system had 8GB of flash memory to store your applications.
- 512MB of separated flash (another type) to store the OS. Beware, that doesn't mean the OS/firmware take as much room for the moment, it could be just 200MB and they are future-proofing the console for later system updates (strong possibility that it will be the case from what i've heard. Wii U will be very complete in regard to functions, features, services, online, etc.).
- For a long time, it appears developers only had access to the SD slot (as you know it from here, a lot of them brought their projects on that support, and Nintendo let them access to it), the flash memory wasn't usable for them.

Hard Drive

- Similar to the Xbox 360, there will be HDD, but not mandatory.
- Dev kits have an hard drive, to store the projects studios are working on (in several cases, the data is on the host PC, linked to the dev kits). However, the retail won't have this internal HDD. Basically, the E3 2011 Wii U units and the ones you'll see soon, include the mother board, the components, the disc drive, etc, and are deprived of this HDD + other elements putted here for development purposes.
- Foreign studios were left in a pretty vague state concerning this aspect of the Wii U, they knew it would support external HDD, but not how it will be implemented, etc.
- They were aware that those HDD will be USB (no eSata then), perhaps only 2.0 (it looks like dev kits don't have the typical USB 3.0 plugs).
- There are clues on a Nintendo branded HDD. Bigger grain of salt for this than the rest.

Other important points:

- It seems the new "V5" dev kits, currently used by studios and final, don't bring changes in this area (like a bigger flash memory). If Nintendo decide to increase the flash size, it's a very late decision, unknown of most of third-parties until now.

- During most of this last year, developers could solely run their games from the dev kit HDD or the host PC, as they didn't had access to the flash memory + they only received Wii U readers/writers/discs recently. Simply put, they designed their games with just the future presence of discs in mind, without knowing if they could run these from an external HDD, how it will work in terms of installation, loading, access time, etc.

- They are now able to emulate Wii U discs digitally, on hard drive (those of the dev kits). It certainly means that the system is now capable to run fully dematerialized content, transfered from discs, on the flash memory or the external HDD.

Several of these informations indicate that foreign studios just knew vaguely significant parts of the Wii U storage situation, and surely they will learn more about that tonight or tuesday, like us.

Grain of salt, as always, as it's second hand knowledge, gathered at a certain time, comes from a few sources with sometimes slightly different takes on this, but interesting nonetheless :)

So, what's your opinion, do you expect Nintendo branded HDD ? A packed-in SD card to extend the storage capacity of the console as we know their intent to digitally distribute full games and the 8GB (if it doesn't change) of internal flash will be small form day one ? Do you think USB 2.0 speed will be enough to run games ? More generally, what you would like from Nintendo in regard to the storage, on Wii U ?

pre-recorded, huh? That means I can skip all the boring stuff and the rest of you guys can hang on to Iwata's every word if I missed something interesting.

Win-win!

elongation

Neo Member
As promised, an appetizer before the Nintendo Direct :)

So, what's your opinion, do you expect Nintendo branded HDD ? A packed-in SD card to extend the storage capacity of the console as we know their intent to digitally distribute full games and the 8GB (if it doesn't change) of internal flash will be small form day one ? Do you think USB 2.0 speed will be enough to run games ? More generally, what you would like from Nintendo in regard to the storage, on Wii U ?

Is going for USB 3.0 really that much more expensive nowadays? I hope Nintendo makes the right decision here

Roo

pre-recorded, huh? That means I can skip all the boring stuff and the rest of you guys can hang on to Iwata's every word if I missed something interesting.

Win-win!

but they're streaming it live so I don't think you can do that.

Edit: Damn you Linkhero1!!!

Eradicate

I admit, that's pretty damning evidence for poor support of their platforms. But I still think it requires a leap to come to the conclusion that the man has any sort of bias towards them. Maybe I'm naive, maybe I don't understand the way the industry operates, but I would think that there's more to it than biases/grudges when determining why certain games don't make it on certain platforms (i.e.: technical reasons, financial viability, lack of resources, etc.).

Also, I don't understand why MGS4 is on your list. Pretty apparent why it didn't make it on the Wii. :p

I mean, I agree and think that it certainly seems like poor support. But, I don't think Kojima was involved with the NES games (he was involved with that Japanese computer...MSX I think?), and something likely happened where he put out a game for the Playstation. Then, it just kind of stuck. I don't think it's a bias or anything, but sometimes these things stick and the audience is there. Not entirely comparable, but if you look at the Harvest Moon games, they've been primarily for Nintendo systems, though they've hopped onto other systems from time to time.

Or money. There's always money.

Oh yeah, and I'M SO DAGGON HYPED!!!

imager.php

Don't know/ care about Nintendo branded HDD, but think 8GB won't be much considering the games are coming on blu-rays and a download of one is likely to be more than 8GB! At least they wouldn't make some jackass anti-consumer decision like proprietary storage...

USB 2.0 is enough to run Wii games via homebrew, but I don't know how that compares to modern blu-ray speeds and so on.

I apologize for the unduly late response. I'm incredibly busy nowadays. :(

Haha, yeah. I wasn't going to bother mentioning MGS4, but I was doing some minor spellcheck type edits. I post on an iPad and the autocorrect feature is a PITA sometimes. On the third try I basically said "screw it" and threw it in there.

I don't necessarily think it's bias/hate either, but I totally get where the perception comes from. You get a comment like "we'd have to do a unique game for that platform" when he's talking about engine support and all the N fans basically just give him the bird. And rightly so, because his support of Nintendo's platforms has been trashy at best from day one and often in the most aggravating fashion possible. And there's no reason to believe it'll change. Ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom