• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kangi

Want a hug?

I.. its been interesting reading reactions.

The past generation was Nintendo doesn't take online seriously.. never do.. They reveal an online system that seems fairly robust with a focus on the social aspect.. and people are complaining.. I can already do this, this and this on my Xbox.. or Twitter.. or my TV...

Did they want Nintendo to NOT do those things?

I don't even get mad.. just sad now.. that so many are willing to cut themselves off from any possible enjoyment from anything.
One thing I've definitely noticed is that some people find complaining about games and game systems to be more fun than playing said games and game systems. It really doesn't make any sense.

Roo

I'm sure Nintendo dropped hints here and there about what first party games are coming.

No StarFox (yes!!) and F-Zero (no!!! D: !!) around :p

Man, there are so many Nintendo Direct/Wii U treads I don't know what to click first :S

methodman

Banned
If there's no two player U Gamepad playability for the Wii U, I hope the Wii U Pro controller becomes the 2nd - 4th player controller for multiplayer games. that thing is damn sexy

Vinci

Danish
Want a hug?

No. Just lamenting the fact that it's nigh impossible to just have a good natured, enjoyable conversation about something that's kind of interesting. I used to ban people for this sort of thing. I'm too old to give a crap about system wars nonsense.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I'm sure Nintendo dropped hints here and there about what first party games are coming.

Man, there are so many Nintendo Direct/Wii U treads I don't know what to click first :S

Eh, you shouldn't read anything into any "hints" Nintendo gave about franchises showing up. They just always use the obvious ones.

I'm just saying if it is confirmed...

.. as soon as it's confirmed, my mind is made-up on showing early. :)

Okay. :p

I would love a black console too.

I mean, what's the damn point? That they can behave like assholes? Yes, congratulations - that takes skill. I'm sorry, but I don't go into Sony and MS threads and shit all over them, or try to color the conversation into something negative.

Show some respect, you know?

If you're a fan of any company around E3 time, be prepared for somebody to say they don't like it. It makes everything easier.

methodman

Banned
I think that is exactly the intention.

I hope so bro, that thing is nice as hell.

I remember watching those e3 videos last year with 4 player games for the Wii U. Guy on the Wii U Gamepad was all happy go lucky while the other 3 players with wii motes were jealous and kept trying to look at the gamepad, lol

Thraktor

I wonder if the fact they showed that Mario footage in an indication that it is just a tech demo. I mean, are we supposed to believe that zombie game is real? The tweets did say no games until Tuesday. Then why show Mario?

Nope, it's got new graphics and a world-view, it's definitely a real game this time.

The highest selling IP of the generation a free pack-in? As insane as that idea is. It is extra insane considering Nintendo needs as much revenue as possible right now.

I think Mario Kart actually has it pipped for selling more this gen, but you're right that it doesn't make sense to pack-in a game which would otherwise be bringing in enormous amounts of revenue.

Edit: Actually, just did the sums and you're right. NSMB and NSMBWii have sold 55.35 million copies between them, compared to 55.01 for Mario Kart Wii and DS. Close, though.

I think the Boo game is referred to as "Chase" in some screens, so I think that's the Chase Mii demo they presented last year at E3. Maybe they will include some minigames with the console? The "shooter" seems to be the Zombie demo from the video.

It actually makes sense for Chase Mii to have the chasers be Boos, now that I think of it. I'm still betting on it (along with a couple of other mini-games) being packed-in.

So they showed this Yoshi icon in Nintendo Direct Pre-E3 video. Could Good-Feel be developing Yoshi's Island game for Wii U?

yoshi_wii_u.jpg

I'm pretty sure that Nintendo will reveal Good-Feel's next game at E3. They did 2D Wario and Kirby games for Wii so a 2D Yoshi game for Wii U would seem like a natural progression.

Wario Land: Shake It! (Good-Feel, Wii, 2008) and Kirby's Epic Yarn (Good-Feel, Wii, 2010)

WarioLandShakeIt.jpg
KirbysEpicYarn.jpg

SPECULATION: Yoshi's Island (Good-Feel, Wii U, 2013)

Yoshi__s_Playground_by_Orioto_NeoGAF_resize.jpg

This could rival the new Rayman games in beauty! Yoshi's Island artwork by Orioto.

What do you think?

Lots of people have speculated about it, but it just seems too obvious. They're probably working on a Super Princess Peach sequel for 3DS or something.

Luigison

Yes, everything about this ND was deliciously intentional. Nintendo has got shit together this year.

Ooooo, the marketing is going to be so much fun!

*Pant* And I'll probably pick up black, if I even get the choice when preordering. :x

This is more like it, I love the sense of distance. I'll totally get this, even if it's called NSMBMii. That one simple change in art direction makes a world of difference. (As long as it's consistent throughout the game)
I think it would be more likely be called New Super Mario World.

So they showed this Yoshi icon in Nintendo Direct Pre-E3 video. Could Good-Feel be developing Yoshi's Island game for Wii U?

yoshi_wii_u.jpg

I'm pretty sure that Nintendo will reveal Good-Feel's next game at E3. They did 2D Wario and Kirby games for Wii so a 2D Yoshi game for Wii U would seem like a natural progression.

Wario Land: Shake It! (Good-Feel, Wii, 2008) and Kirby's Epic Yarn (Good-Feel, Wii, 2010)

WarioLandShakeIt.jpg
KirbysEpicYarn.jpg

This could rival the new Rayman games in beauty! Yoshi's Island artwork by Orioto.

What do you think?
I had the same thought. I hadn't realized Epic Yarn was so old though. If true I hope it's in time for launch or at least Holiday 2012 instead our your 2013 guess.

After reading through the ND thread, I liked how people complained about the acting being bad even though it was obviously intentional.

I also think it's a little soon to write off analog triggers. Especially considering how much Gearbox is boasting about the controller... gamepad... Upad.

I also felt it was funny that people are saying the Pro controller "rips off" the 360 when the GC controller had that layout first. It's clearly just a Upad without the screen.

Star Fox is totally coming. That's what the Metroid icon is for

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Not to be a smartass, but isn't that what we want? :p

Uh no, not at all. What I would like is to be able to only buy one console. Not only that but it's not good for the industry for this to be happening. People are losing their jobs and from a consumer stand point there is less to pick from.

What do you think?

I think you're on to something here, a game reveal each 2 years; Wario, Kirby and probably another Nintendo IP... I hope you're right. That would be a system seller for many of us if done right. Actually, I remembered there's a batch of rumours that includes a Yoshi by Good Feel of which almost all got confirmed except that. Maybe we'll actually see it at E3?

Vinci

Danish
After reading through the ND thread, I liked how people complained about the acting being bad even though it was obviously intentional.

I also think it's a little soon to write off analog triggers. Especially considering how much Gearbox is boasting about the controller... gamepad... Upad.

I also felt it was funny that people are saying the Pro controller "rips off" the 360 when the GC controller had that layout first. It's clearly just a Upad without the screen.

The 360 is a great controller. Whether the new Pro was inspired by the GC or the 360, it's at least modeled after something really damn fine.

I can't believe the is no gifs of those icons in HD
the close up on the video shows how crystal clear it looks sweet

I'm going to need lots of Nintendo GAF friends

we also need to get AceBandage and BurnPork on our friends lists :(

Thraktor

Uh no, not at all. What I would like is to be able to only buy one console. Not only that but it's not good for the industry for this to be happening. People are losing their jobs and from a consumer stand point there is less to pick from.

He's just pointing out that you wrote "refuse to skip Nintendo", where I assume you meant "refuse to support".

Eusis

I hope they learn from Microsoft and Sony and have a VERY liberal friend count max. Then again the 3DS doesn't, so I guess consoles will keep being dumb while the likes of Twitter and Facebook allow absurd numbers.

that ripoff this is silly but I think its just the form factor shape of it that screams xbox controller I mean I do own one for my macbookpro so I thought the same thing but beyond that, no big deal

that pro controller does need to be a pack-in though (this is a must!)

it doesn't matter what in the world gets shown, there will always be "those people", and I say that for all companies. Same will happen at the microsoft conference and sony one, and then again at the nintendo one. I found everything to be particularly interesting. The only negative I come away with is what you mentioned, the possibility of no analog triggers on the gamepad.

yoshi_wii_u.jpg

WarioLandShakeIt.jpg
KirbysEpicYarn.jpg

What do you think?
I thought the same thing. It needs to be Tuesday already!

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
He's just pointing out that you wrote "refuse to skip Nintendo", where I assume you meant "refuse to support".

Whoops. Yeah, that's what I meant. Sorry, I'm just sick of the excuses given by third parties over and over again.

After watching Iwata explain the thought process behind the tablet it makes a lot of sense. More and more people are plugged in now and using digital devices. You see families all the time together eating a meal for example, yet everyone is on a cell phone. They've got a lot of work targeting the casual market again, but it's needed for Wii U to be a success. Third parties shouldn't just rule it out before it's even been released, yet that's exactly what we're seeing some of them do.

HylianTom

Banned
Whoops. Yeah, that's what I meant. Sorry, I'm just sick of the excuses given by third parties over and over again.

After watching Iwata explain the thought process behind the tablet it makes a lot of sense. More and more people are plugged in now and using digital devices. You see families all the time together eating a meal for example, yet everyone is on a cell phone. They've got a lot of work targeting the casual market again, but it's needed for Wii U to be a success. Third parties shouldn't just rule it out before it's even been released, yet that's exactly what we're seeing some of them do.

In that case, I look forward to seeing just how they fare with this decision-making process. Should be very, umm, educational to watch.

The 360 is a great controller. Whether the new Pro was inspired by the GC or the 360, it's at least modeled after something really damn fine.

Oh I didn't say it wasn't great. I just think it's asinine to say it's "based" on it when 360's controller didn't have the layout first. I don't think it copied the GC controller either. It looks like a Upad without the screen to me. Like how Congressman has designed in the past.

BD1

Banned
I love the OS. Love it.

Nintendo combined Mii Plaza, Community features, Swap Note and a slick, colorful UI and created this wonderful, social, Nintendo platform.

The world's first "social 2.0" game console.

FyreWulff

Yeah, I definitely noticed the tweening too, but it has a certain janky charm to it.

Not a stretch at all. Nintendo would probably strongly disuade real names being used online.

(Can't wait to add all of you :3)

Microsoft will change your gamertag if they believe it to be your actual name. There's a guy I used to play Halo with a lot, still on my FL that went by "TheNameIsJohnny". MS forced a gamertag change on him last year because they said he couldn't use his actual name in a gamertag. So he changed it to TheNameIsBanned.

Looking at the back of the game pad during ND, it clearly still looked digital. And if they did change it, Iwata would of highlighted it, just like he did with the analog sticks. The only hope I have is with the Wii U pro, but if they didn't include it with the pad, I don't know they would with the pro.

Yka

I had the same thought. I hadn't realized Epic Yarn was so old though. If true I hope it's in time for launch or at least Holiday 2012 instead our your 2013 guess.

2D Mario and Yoshi platformers releasing so close together? Seems unlikely to me. Yoshi would be a good March/April 2013 release for Nintendo.

The anti-wiimote shit in the other thread is so depressing. Why is being reactionary something to be proud of?
I'm glad it's being de-emphasized as well. Never liked it :)

But of course I don't want those that enjoyed it to be punished, so hopefully everyone gets all the options they want.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
In that case, I look forward to seeing just how they fare with this decision-making process. Should be very, umm, educational to watch.

I can understand it with the Wii and N64, but not GC and not Wii U. I don't mean to be spiteful, but yes it will be interesting to watch. Some of the decisions are already mind boggling. Tombraider was on Wii, yet they're relaunching the IP right after a new system is being launched and they're completely skipping it. /rant

Hiltz

The Wii U game pad looks brilliant but I will still miss the move away from the Wii remote controller. It's handheld shape will still after all, make it superior to the Wii U game pad in some ways for motion control.

Linkhero1

I'm glad it's being de-emphasized as well. Never liked it :)

But of course I don't want those that enjoyed it to be punished, so hopefully everyone gets all the options they want.

Same. *high five*

Now I'm almost sure I'm going to buy Black Ops 2 on the Wii U. Just need to see if Wii U's online is on par with XBL.

It seems that the Software Showcase may be a live press conference (maybe what Iwata meant as "other opportunities to discuss Nintendo 3DS").

On Nintendo's E3 page, today's live stream and the Wii U hardware discussion are labelled as "precorded" but the E3 presentation and Software Showcase are not. Plus, the Software Showcase is getting as much emphasis as the E3 presentation.

And it's at 9 PM.

Eusis

The Wii U game pad looks brilliant but I will still miss the move away from the Wii remote controller. It's handheld shape will still after all, make it superior to the Wii U game pad in some ways for motion control.
I'm kind of hoping they include it (and maybe the Nunchuk) with the Wii U, at least initially. That way support for it doesn't necessarily have to go away just because it's not system standard, maybe even use it as a chance to get more Wii Remote Plus support put in.

... I wonder how much these controllers cost to produce now actually?

Eradicate

I love the OS. Love it.

Nintendo combined Mii Plaza, Community features, Swap Note and a slick, colorful UI and created this wonderful, social, Nintendo platform.

The world's first "social 2.0" game console.

I really love the OS too. I can't wait to see more!

I just think it's fantastic that Nintendo got it's act together and really "tied everything together" into something that is not disjointed. Everything is connected and works together. It's so daggon cool to imagine!

I can see why some developers mentioned the complexity of developing for it. However, I think it's just an excuse not to try. Only those without vision would discount this sort of holistic, integrated experience, because it is the way things are heading with technology. (Look at all that Apple's done. I don't even own any Apple products, but so many strides have been made with their products for that holistic, integrated experience.)

Same. *high five*

Now I'm almost sure I'm going to buy Black Ops 2 on the Wii U. Just need to see if Wii U's online is on par with XBL.
Even if it's PSN level I'll consider it a success. As long as it's functional. I'll also get blops2 for wiiU if online is fine. Gonna be weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom