• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheJerit

Did anyone else notice in the miiverse video after the zombie one, where he starts to show the game forum-like area on the gamepad, there was a spoiler and image button to use....

I SAID GOTDAMN

it really is the little things....

The ND was awesome! I love the whole MiiVerse OS and the comments ingame. And NSMB confirmed! Hopefully its launch game. (Or even packin.)

Still, this was only a appetizer, we still have Tuesday...

bomma_man

I'm glad it's being de-emphasized as well. Never liked it :)

But of course I don't want those that enjoyed it to be punished, so hopefully everyone gets all the options they want.

It completely solved the problem of primacy of input that's being debated in the other thread. Duels hock? Sucks for 3d games. 360, GCN? Sucks for 2d games. Wii u? Sucks for non analogue intensive games. The wii remote was different though, with the pointer it was possible to aim, move and use the face buttons without contorting your hand or rendering another input unavailable. It essentially gave you three hands.

Getting black, because black is sexy.

idris-1.jpg

Not sure if you guys caught it, but the gold label "Cleared in under 100 seconds" on that Mario world map is clearly an achievement.

Yup, noticed that myself. Although if the 3DS is anything to go by they'll be called 'Accomplishments'. I'm really hoping they're going to adopt the level-based model like SEN and Trophies rather than having it score-based like Live and Achievements. The level-based system that SEN uses is more addictive due to the RPG-esque way that the higher your level is the more Trophies you need to level up. Much better imo.

And am really happy that they've managed to get the remote control thing sorted...wonder how they managed it..? :eek:/

Looking at the back of the game pad during ND, it clearly still looked digital. And if they did change it, Iwata would of highlighted it, just like he did with the analog sticks. The only hope I have is with the Wii U pro, but if they didn't include it with the pad, I don't know they would with the pro.

While arguably negligible, the Z L/R buttons protrude more in the new version than the original version. And even if he didn't mention it, I think it's still too soon to treat that as confirmation it doesn't have it. That's something we'll need to at least wait till Tuesday to know for sure.

I will admit, I am slightly hyped for Tuesday now...because of Nintendo Direct. Knowing it will mostly be games just makes me wet...i mean..uhh..whatever.

lednerg

The (Pro's) triggers may have two ways to press them. I'm thinking if you press them on the top, they're digital, but from the back they're analog. Push the analog all the way and it also presses the digital button. Just a guess...

Instro

Looking at the back of the game pad during ND, it clearly still looked digital. And if they did change it, Iwata would of highlighted it, just like he did with the analog sticks. The only hope I have is with the Wii U pro, but if they didn't include it with the pad, I don't know they would with the pro.

It may be a reveal they are saving to go with a racing game or something. I would certainly be disappointed if the triggers are not analog. Wouldn't that fuck up compatibility with a lot of GC games?

Redford

aka Cabbie
Strangely, the black DRC was more of a rush to see than the leaked analog pic. I don't know why.. Maybe I've just associated white consoles with the Nintendo I'd rather see go away.

Black hardware just seems to make a statement.

We dont talk about the best feature of the controller? Universal Remote FTW!

Yeah, seeing that was super interesting. How far back did we know about that?

thefro

Same. *high five*

Now I'm almost sure I'm going to buy Black Ops 2 on the Wii U. Just need to see if Wii U's online is on par with XBL.

It honestly might end up being better than XBL because of the social features built into the OS. You've got the web browser too on the gamepad.

We'll have to see what the other Nintendo Network features are. Hopefully there are apps you can download off the E-Shop for all sorts of things.

I'm eager to find-out more about the range. Was kinda hoping for more information about that tonight, but it appears that Tuesday is our next big chance.

*fingers crossed*

Tuesday is gonna be all about games...

Yeah, seeing that was super interesting. How far back did we know about that?
It's kinda old info but I'm sure most people thought it would be something for Japan like some Wii features.

Hieberrr

Guys, holy shit... the Pro controller alone is making me want the Wii U. I can't wait for E3 to kick off. I'm really hoping or some serious bombs!

Portugeezer

I wish it were, but I think Nintendo's gonna be greedy on this one.

Gladly, I'd be wrong.. a pack-in Mario game at launch right before the holidays? It'd be like old times again. It'd be a recipe for big, monsterlike holiday sales.

Maybe it will be like Wii Sports. Pack in everywhere but Japan.

Einbroch

Banned
Guys, holy shit... the Pro controller alone is making me want the Wii U. I can't wait for E3 to kick off. I'm really hoping or some serious bombs!

How? Not a troll, a genuine question. How does a controller that is basically the same as the 360 controller get you hyped? Nintendo games will use the tablet controller, so that's not the reason.

Unless you don't own a 360 or PS3. Then by all means, be excited.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I love the OS. Love it.

But, technically, we didn't see the OS. I believe the Miiniverse stuff is essentially Mii Plaza blown out. Way out. We still don't know what the interface for starting up games, and general system navigation looks like.

GameE

Stupid question time, could the Wii U still use friend codes technically? Like what if each person who has an account on your Wii U gets its own friend code?

Caelus

How? Not a troll, a genuine question. How does a controller that is basically the same as the 360 controller get you hyped? Nintendo games will use the tablet controller, so that's not the reason.

Unless you don't own a 360 or PS3. Then by all means, be excited.

The thought of Nintendo being "hardcore" and playing third-party multiplatform games on a Nintendo console and the thought of not having to purchase other next-gen systems.

Seems silly, but I can sort of share the sentiment. I was a Wii-only gamer for a while.

royalan

Hey Guys

Now that we know that the Tuesday hour-long conference will be devoted pretty exclusively to Wii U software, what are your time block predictions?

Me?

4 Minutes - Major AAA 3rd Party Game.

4 Minutes - Major AAA 3rd Party Game.

2 minutes - Teaser reel of big 3rd Part games.

10 Minutes - Nintendo Network overview, including the unveiling of 1 download-only game featuring one of Nintendo's B-Tier franchises (Star Fox?)

20 Minutes - Rare's Project(s?) - including hype-up, jaw-dropping trailer, interview with main team members while demo is played live onstage.

5 minutes - casual game I don't care about.

5 minutes - casual game I don't care about.

5 minutes - Teaser reel of launch/launch window games.

5 minutes - "One Last Thing! (Cue Smash Brothers teaser trailer and "Holiday 2013" release date)"

Einbroch

Banned
The thought of Nintendo being "hardcore" and playing third-party multiplatform games on a Nintendo console and the thought of not having to purchase other next-gen systems.

Seems silly, but I can sort of share the sentiment. I was a Wii-only gamer for a while.

Is it not the same setup as the tablet controller, with the sticks up high and the buttons down low? I thought people were saying the tablet controller was comfortable at last year's E3 (and they tweaked it a bit to make it more comfortable), so I guess I don't see the point of this controller.

Probably just being a negative nancy.

You know Boo could become the next kirby if they fleshed him out a bit more. Like casper the friendly ghost type of thing.

I dunno, adding flesh would make him much less ghosty.

I'm eager to find-out more about the range. Was kinda hoping for more information about that tonight, but it appears that Tuesday is our next big chance.

*fingers crossed*

Yeah, I was feeling really happy for a split second when he said "anywhere". Then he had to ruin it.

Stupid question time, could the Wii U still use friend codes technically? Like what if each person who has an account on your Wii U gets its own friend code?

You could probably choose to name yourself "6891-4483-0012-5619".

But you could do this with Wii U GamePad. A screenless controller is not necessary for this, since the GamePad has everything¹ you need to play multiplats.

¹ maybe save for analog triggers, but then we don't know that the Wii U Controller has them, either

edit: I am very happy for the existence of the screenless Controller for entirely different reasons

GameE

I dunno, adding flesh would make him much less ghosty.

Yeah, I was feeling really happy for a split second when he said "anywhere". Then he had to ruin it.

You could probably choose to name yourself "6891-4483-0012-5619".

But what if you named yourself 'GameplayWhore' but the account then gets a friend code number? I guess what Im trying to ask if if we know mandatory for sure. :eek: Sorry if this was already known or something >_>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom