• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really like the concept of Miiverse.

It's gonna be like soundcloud, youtube and niconico where you tag timestamps in a game or "checkpoints"

I can't wait to play "spot the gaffer" when looking at comments.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Lol, that's GAF? No fooling? :p

If it is, they are certainly not reading the WUST now that it's been exiled to community.
sad.png

The (Pro's) triggers may have two ways to press them. I'm thinking if you press them on the top, they're digital, but from the back they're analog. Push the analog all the way and it also presses the digital button. Just a guess...

Interesting take.

Also people kept talking about contacting strangers, but the video seemed to emphasize that OctoG was a friend.

Another board has a topic saying Non-specific action figure should be in SSB.

TrueBlue

Why what if it is like awesome? Besides Nintendo fans believe Retro Studios is god. Surely whatever they developer will be AAAAAA.

I dunno, I just feel as if zombies have been done to death this generation. I know there's a certain amount of irony considering i'm talking about Nintendo, but that's my stance.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I wonder if Nintendo will let you use your SSN as a gamer ID.

jacksrb

K9KWt.png

From the top down:
- My Menu
- Activity Feed
- Plaza

Was interested to see if there was a menu option for an achievement-like icon, but that could be under 'my menu'

Guys, holy shit... the Pro controller alone is making me want the Wii U. I can't wait for E3 to kick off. I'm really hoping or some serious bombs!

I don't mean to be rude but How is a controller that has everything already featured in the WiiU Gamepad minus the screen make you want the wiiU rather than the controller which has infinitely more functionality, its like you are forgetting the WiiU controller is basically the same thing. The Controller pro is basically a next gen version of a legacy controller for those that are too slow pickup the new and better control methods. That being said I am still buying that thing to use for my pc if it has a better battery life than the other wireless controllers I have.

Whoever they used for the Zombie nerd segment should never be used again.
Whoever they used for the Zombie nerd segment should be used again, and many times over. That was so lovably awful that I'd welcome it.

Black hardware just seems to make a statement.
The only statement it really makes to me is "hey, look at me, you're going to get so many fingerprints on me!"

Well, that and "all technology of import must be black, no exceptions". Seriously, why is friggin' everything black? I'm almost beginning to miss beige.

They're all talking about Acid Ghost, clearly

Kokonoe

Banned
I don't mean to be rude but How is a controller that has everything already featured in the WiiU Gamepad minus the screen make you want the wiiU rather than the controller which has infinitely more functionality, its like you are forgetting the WiiU controller is basically the same thing. The Controller pro is basically a next gen version of a legacy controller for those that are too slow pickup the new and better control methods. That being said I am still buying that thing to use for my pc if it has a better battery life than the other wireless controllers I have.

For those who don't want to use the screen, it's a waste of space. Sometimes it's the smallest things that make the biggest difference. It's also that Nintendo is finally getting that people don't like to be forced with one method and like options.

Hieberrr

How? Not a troll, a genuine question. How does a controller that is basically the same as the 360 controller get you hyped? Nintendo games will use the tablet controller, so that's not the reason.

Unless you don't own a 360 or PS3. Then by all means, be excited.

I have a PS3, but the idea of being able to play Mario platformers and Zelda games with a 360/PS3-like controller is getting me super hyped :O~

I wasn't a fan of Wii Remote + Nunchuck for Twilight Princess LOL (which ultimately made me hate the game).

Not a fan of the screen because it seems useless. Yes, there are some uses to it like picking the GamePad up and using it as a second view (see: baseball game)... but asides from that, everything else I saw + everything else I can think of seems really useless. They'll push the whole "intuitive" aspect of it like they always do and w/e...

So, did I hear correctly the Wii U has a built in screenshot function similar to what the Vita has? That's something all future systems need. That way we don't have to complain to developers to include that function in a game.

What if we go beyond the screenshot function and have a function where if you pause the game where you are stuck and you contact someone for help (On a single player game for example they) and they can boot up their system and play from the spot you are now stuck in and you can view it on your screen in real time. like on live but for game helping. You can even do it in non real time and the player can send you a ghost of how they played or completed the elvel for you or even just a a video of it. Ghost data is better though.

I remember Nintendo having a patent for this somehwere.

Einbroch

Banned
I have a PS3, but the idea of being able to play Mario platformers and Zelda games with a 360/PS3-like controller is getting me super hyped :O~

I wasn't a fan of Wii Remote + Nunchuck for Twilight Princess LOL (which ultimately made me hate the game).

But...Nintendo is going to utilize the shit out of the touchscreen. It's Nintendo. This is their product. They're going to make the screen nearly essential and almost certainly beneficial to the game.

AGITΩ

I love the black. I can see Nintendo making 2 SKU's for the Wii U.
A "Mainstream" one - White, GamePad + Game $299
A "Core" one - Black, GamePad + Pro Pad + Game $349
Since almost anytime he mentioned Core Gamer, they showed a Black GamePad and then the Pro.

Also posted in the Controller thread bit this is my take on the Pro:
AzVKu.jpg

They wanted to stick with a classic controller symmetry while having the twin sticks on top for the FPS Players. See this as good for Shooters and fighters.

royalan

Can't speak for him, but the reason I'm so excited for it was that, based on the E3 2011 trailer, it seemed like Nintendo was seriously going to put gamers in the position to have to use some strange combination of the GamePad and Wiimotes for local multiplayer. Which I could only imagine being a confusing, unbalanced clusterfuck.

That they actually created a secondary controller for the Wii U that retains all the buttons and functionality of the GamePad - minus the screen and camera of course - and that actually looks like a good hardcore controller is reassuring of their stated commitment to prioritize gamers this go around.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Whoever they used for the Zombie nerd segment should be used again, and many times over. That was so lovably awful that I'd welcome it.

The only statement it really makes to me is "hey, look at me, you're going to get so many fingerprints on me!"

Well, it was mostly because you see the matte back first in the video. Brief moment of hope where I thought they'd ditched gloss.

But what if you named yourself 'GameplayWhore' but the account then gets a friend code number? I guess what Im trying to ask if if we know mandatory for sure. :eek: Sorry if this was already known or something >_>

Oh. Well… that's how accounts work in general, isn't it? You have a user name, but there's also a unique id that actually identifies you on a machine level.

For those who don't want to use the screen, it's a waste of space. Sometimes it's the smallest things that make the biggest difference. It's also that Nintendo is finally getting that people don't like to be forced with one method and like options.

Wait, wasn't Nintendo first on the bandwagon of "multiple controller options" this generation? Initially, the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 had one controller option (unless you count being able to use the almost-identical PS2 controller for most PS3 games, which I believe was possible).

Dr.Hadji

But...Nintendo is going to utilize the shit out of the touchscreen. It's Nintendo. This is their product. They're going to make the screen nearly essential and almost certainly beneficial to the game.

Shhh, people don't want to think about this. Then they're going to act surprised when Nintendo dares to use the features of their own controller.

Some interesting stuff going on. I'm really interested in seeing the average joe's reaction to some of these things. I think a lot of this stuff, are the kind of things that the "core" gamer will go "whatever" to, but with the right games the average person could end up losing their mind over. (in a good way).

I wonder what kind of similar stuff MS and Sony are planning for their next gen networks. I wonder if Nintendo's demoing this before E3 like this was some kind of preemptive strike.

Well either way, like I said, I'm going to be interested in what the Average I love social networking Joe, thinks of these features.

Hieberrr

There where a lot of Nintendo games on the DS that didn't really use it very well. I mean, yeah.. some games would be great with a touch screen like Phoenix Wright... but when it comes to other games I don't see it. I can see it being used as a quick way to get to inventory menus and whatnot, but I doubt there will be a game that will be designed completely around the controller. Why? because you are at home looking and playing on a TV. The last thing people want to do is stare at tiny screen when they can play on a 32"+ screen TV.

At least that's my take on it.

Neiteio

Can't speak for him, but the reason I'm so excited for it was that, based on the E3 2011 trailer, it seemed like Nintendo was seriously going to put gamers in the position to have to use some strange combination of the GamePad and Wiimotes for local multiplayer. Which I could only imagine being a confusing, unbalanced clusterfuck.

That they actually created a secondary controller for the Wii U that retains all the buttons and functionality of the GamePad - minus the screen and camera of course - and that actually looks like a good hardcore controller is reassuring of their stated commitment to prioritize gamers this go around.
This. I was worried playing Smash Bros. would require us to use some combination of one or two Upads, and then Wiimotes or (ever aging) Wavebirds. This looks like the Wavebird successor we've wanted for awhile now, a good option to have in multiplayer titles since the WiiU can only handle or two Upads. Looks like a smartly designed controller, too.

HylianTom

Banned
Shhh, people don't want to think about this. Then they're going to act surprised when Nintendo dares to use the features of their own controller.

I love it! I look forward to seeing what ideas they come-up with for the controller.

On Tuesday, I fully expect them to demonstrate the controller's "reason for existence" at least several times over in the form of how it fits into gameplay. If they don't, I'll be a little bit disappointed..

antonz

Some interesting stuff going on. I'm really interested in seeing the average joe's reaction to some of these things. I think a lot of this stuff, are the kind of things that the "core" gamer will go "whatever" to, but with the right games the average person could end up losing their mind over. (in a good way).

I wonder what kind of similar stuff MS and Sony are planning for their next gen networks. I wonder if Nintendo's demoing this before E3 like this was some kind of preemptive strike.

Well either way, like I said, I'm going to be interested in what the Average I love social networking Joe, thinks of these features.

It is interesting. Nintendo is kinda stepping out of its old ways with the big Social push. I mean interacting with people you dont even know and having their Miis show up with messages etc.

Its all very anti-nintendo

Not a fan of the screen because it seems useless. Yes, there are some uses to it like picking the GamePad up and using it as a second view (see: baseball game)... but asides from that, everything else I saw + everything else I can think of seems really useless. They'll push the whole "intuitive" aspect of it like they always do and w/e...

I believe Stalk's point is that you don't lose anything when using the game pad, even if you utterly ignore the screen. Absolutely nothing is taken away. The only functional difference in this scenario is that your hands are slightly farther apart, which depending on your point of view is either more or less ergonomic, but it's hard to be definitive on this point.

Hieberrr

I believe Stalk's point is that you don't lose anything when using the game pad, even if you utterly ignore the screen. Absolutely nothing is taken away. The only functional difference in this scenario is that your hands are slightly farther apart, which depending on your point of view is either more or less ergonomic, but it's hard to be definitive on this point.

In that case, it is because I like holding controllers that are more compact. I barely like holding my Blackberry Playbook due to its size, so that's why I'm so excited about the traditional controller.

Einbroch

Banned
There where a lot of Nintendo games on the DS that didn't really use it very well. I mean, yeah.. some games would be great with a touch screen like Phoenix Wright... but when it comes to other games I don't see it. I can see it being used as a quick way to get to inventory menus and whatnot, but I doubt there will be a game that will be designed completely around the controller. Why? because you are at home looking and playing on a TV. The last thing people want to do is stare at tiny screen when they can play on a 32"+ screen TV.

At least that's my take on it.

But there's a camera on it.

Zelda: Hold up the controller to "peer through it" when using the telescope. Use it as a magic lens to see hidden items by "looking through it". Tap it in some Goron drum minigame. Draw symbols on it to use magic. Use it as an underwater fishing radar when fishing. Use it as a reference to the songs you play. Use it as a popup screen when you pick up combining items (thus removing the annoying "YOU PICKED UP X" sequence in SS).

I mean, that took 2 minutes to come up with. Imagine Nintendo, the masters and owners of this device, taking years to come up with stuff. Not hard to see how the tablet controller is essential and potentially great.

Needless to say, I'm willing to bet that Nintendo franchises will REQUIRE the tablet controller.

Kokonoe

Banned
Wait, wasn't Nintendo first on the bandwagon of "multiple controller options" this generation? Initially, the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 had one controller option (unless you count being able to use the almost-identical PS2 controller for most PS3 games, which I believe was possible).

The difference being that Wii motion controls weren't known to be effective, but we knew traditional controllers were because we've used them before. I personally found the motion stuff lackluster, and only in games in which were waggle only did I feel they had accuracy.
When I say choice, I mean in terms of what their games let you do with them. Phantom Hourglass? Had to use the stylus. Could it have been played with the DPad if they added it? Yes. Starfox DS? Same thing. The tools are there, but Nintendo felt the stylus should be the only option for whatever reason.

Super Mario Galaxy? Wii Nunchuk combo is fine, but the ability to use their classic controller or Gamecube would have been nice. Although the thing this shows is that before launch, they have a new foundation setup with it which is nicer then finding about other things later.
If all their games turn out like Mario Kart / Brawl it'd be great.

japtor

Did he say whether the Pro controller has accelerometer and gyro?
I need a tag !

:p
"Master tease, sore winner"

(and your TV info was off :p)
I'm eager to find-out more about the range. Was kinda hoping for more information about that tonight, but it appears that Tuesday is our next big chance.

*fingers crossed*
I think he said "in the living room" so I'm guessing the range isn't all that far (barring image degradation to reduce bandwidth needs or something).
I'm excited!

Now all we need is this added ot the back of the console...

RYcUq.jpg
Does CableCard even exist outside of the US? They should just be dealing with networks/providers for streaming apps.

Hieberrr

But there's a camera on it.

Zelda: Hold up the controller to "peer through it" when using the telescope. Use it as a magic lens to see hidden items by "looking through it". Tap it in some Goron drum minigame. Draw symbols on it to use magic. Use it as an underwater fishing radar when fishing. Use it as a reference to the songs you play.

I mean, that took 2 minutes to come up with. Imagine Nintendo, the masters and owners of this device, taking years to come up with stuff. Not hard to see how the tablet controller is essential and potentially great.

Needless to say, I'm willing to bet that Nintendo franchises will REQUIRE the tablet controller.

Yeah, but to me "peering through" it as if it were a telescope is a huge extra step compared to just doing it via joystick. If it becomes a huge part of the game then imagine all of the other things they'll do. It'll become a huge hassle.

Einbroch

Banned
Yeah, but to me "peering through" it as if it were a telescope is a huge extra step compared to just doing it via joystick. If it becomes a huge part of the game then imagine all of the other things they'll do. It'll become a huge hassle.

Then you're not going to like Nintendo games next generation (this generation, whatever), I'm afraid. I don't have sources or anything besides my common sense to back it up. They're going to push their controller.

japtor

Then you're not going to like Nintendo games next generation (this generation, whatever), I'm afraid. I don't have sources or anything besides my common sense to back it up. They're going to push their controller.
Well if you take into account 3D Land...they'll let you do whichever one you want.

HylianTom

Banned
One feature of the system that I am looking forward to?

When I log-on, all of NintendoGAF's Miis will be there on my TV screen, waiting to greet me. That's going to be awesome!

Gahiggidy

Hey would anyone be interested in divvying up sections of the ND video to produce a transscript? (I'm assuming an official one isn't available).

Six of us could take 5 minutes each.

Jaruru

I don't care what anyone says. I love how the OS looks and it's all I really want in a social network.

Bring it on.

yea, easy to browse, colorful (well, Nintendo) and looks fun. very different than other consoles

I have more confidence about their conf on Tues now... even though I want to keep my hype lowwwwwww ><

Taken from here

I can definitely see a problem when playing FPS when your thumb and index are so close together. Fire trigger and look-around analog so close = accidental shots fired.

XCFfe.jpg

X82CM.jpg

Gaming noob with the baby hands

Nintendo: Look at these awesome motion controls!

Hardcore: Get that waggle shit outta here! I want something with 2 analog sticks!

Third-parties: Motion controls are hard! I want something with lots of buttons!

Nintendo: Look at our Wii U Pad! It does everything: dual analog, touch screens, buttons, you name it!

Hardcore: It looks too big!

Third-parties: Touch screens are hard! Can't you make it simpler?

Nintendo: Fine. What the fuck do you want from us?

Third-parties, Hardcore:

802113b.jpg

Nintendo: Done.

Hardcore: Shameless!

This has so much truth

Bravo.

That thread so full of win from all the knee jerk reactions. I know some of you are in there already but for those not in the know..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom