• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bet it will - watch and see. They say they have no plans to reveal, but I'd bet they're aiming to benefit from the element of surprise. Same for 720.

Agreed, Sony and Microsoft need to reveal their next gen consoles to stop Nintendo from running away with E3 at a world record breaking, Nandralone induced sprint lol. It doesn't matter what games they announce for the PS3 and 360, all media coverage is going to be focused on the U and its launch and launch window titles. Even the likes of Halo 4, no matter how impressive, will not get much of a look in imo.

You know the rule: only news for people who walk 50km

Sigh..I'll just wait I guess.
0lIDY.gif

Bumhead

Banned
What are people's thoughts on Nintendo Network? I assume we'll hear something about this at E3, and Nintendo have always said they believe online functionality has to be unique to stand out above the rest.

What are our hopes and expectations about that?

Personally for me my expectations are quite modest. Simply a solid online infrastructure with an online store on Day One (none of the 3DS waiting around, please) and demo's etc would work for me. However, I hope Nintendo improve on what the other guys are doing with friends lists. I've lost count of the amount of times I've added or had requests from guys on forums whose usernames are different on the console and forum, and I forget who they are. I would love the ability to add your own tags to your friends lists, so you can highlight who is who yourself, or group your friends lists into communities.

Mpl90 asked me to look for potential 3DS announcements, and while I wasn't looking in-depth yet, I found something potentially interesting: An obscure German company, Mobile Technologies, worked or works on something for 3DS. The company doesn't even have a website and it's not exactly easy to find much about them, but they apparently have nothing to do with games - they specialize in speech-to-text, text-to-speech, and speech-to-speech technology. They work with Carnegie Mellon and the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology and recently developed a speech-to-speech translation app. From the "about us" section:

A 3DS translation app for the eShop? Doubt it. Looks like middleware to me. Or maybe it's related to Nintendo's weird speech-to-(formatted)-text patent from a while ago?
Maybe it's related to Tomodachi Collection 2?

Shiggy

Actually, Nintendo's statement about the DS Lite was: "Rumour and speculation and we are not commenting further." Not a straight out denial, they didn't lie.

I think he's referring to David Yarnton from Nintendo UK:

Eurogamer: That's true obviously, but Nintendo does have a history of redesigning handheld hardware and there has been all this discussion about whether you guys are going to do a DS redesign this year.

David Yarnton: If I turned around and said to my staff that we're doing something new they'd probably throttle me, because what with this last 12 months of product that we've done and also what we've got in the first quarter...

Eurogamer: Can you categorically rule out then that you'll have a DS redesign announcement at E3?

David Yarnton: That's been rumoured, I don't know for how long, but we haven't got any plans at the moment. Nothing I know of.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/i_davidyarnton_nintendo

Soroc

The sad thing is, if they show even 1 bullshit target render of their next platforms, it would not surprise me if that generates more "lol, nintendo is so last gen" from the gaming media.

I actually think that apart from sites that have dedicated platform coverage, the only way nintendo will be covered with any sort of quality next gen will be if the Wii U is über powerful. We all know that's not the case so I foresee another generation of bullshit media rivaling that of Wii. The sticks etc will mean they can at least mention them when talking about multiplats though.

I would be really surprised if the media does this again after the Killzone CG fiasco

Shiggy

Again, "not any *plans*", so they aren't lieing (plans can change). AND it's from Europe - Nintendo Japan doesn't tell Europe or the US about their plans too early, so he may have been telling the truth, he didn't know of any plans to replace the DS at that point.

This was two days before the DS Lite was officially unveiled. And NoE knew about it already. Perhaps Nintendo UK didn't? I don't think Yarnton was lying, he could've worded it differently.

Soroc

What are people's thoughts on Nintendo Network? I assume we'll hear something about this at E3, and Nintendo have always said they believe online functionality has to be unique to stand out above the rest.

Personally for me my expectations are quite modest. Simply a solid online infrastructure with an online store on Day One (none of the 3DS waiting around, please) and demo's etc would work for me. However, I hope Nintendo improve on what the other guys are doing with friends lists. I've lost count of the amount of times I've added or had requests from guys on forums whose usernames are different on the console and forum, and I forget who they are. I would love the ability to add your own tags to your friends lists, so you can highlight who is who yourself, or group your friends lists into communities.

I think they are going to radically expand on the "channels" idea from the Wii. With fully customizable interface, a tablet that is "always on" receiving notifications, being picked up by non gaming people in the housing to read the NY Times App on the tablet. A Wii U app for smartphones that so while not being around you can catch up with friends playing, organize events. Heavy video streaming capabilities. Think of Google+ commercials recently showing people just "hanging out" with video chat. More and more and more of this kind of stuff. Oh and of course downloadable games, demos, videos, etc...

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Interesting--either they've worked out some exclusive footage from Nintendo or MS/Sony is actually showing something from their new systems.

Edit: Nevermind, then. Didn't know they had an exclusive deal for the conference.

Soroc

I just realized the Wii U facebook page is still rocking the blue U square. Maybe that will be the standard logo still and the leaked controller will have the full gray logo.

Thraktor

Disappointed by lack of speculation over "the vault" on their facebook page.

575111_341726235895256_1021070586_n.jpg

Also, I'm amused at how Nintendo seems to be embracing the Reggie memes. Looking squarely at the #Regginator hashtag watermarked in the facebook video.

Regginator? Obviously a super cryptic clue that Retro are working on a Terminator game!

Actually that could be pretty good, now that I think of it

muu

I'd like to see 'community' play standardized as a platform feature. It was a fantastic idea with some serious caveats on MK7, and it looks like Terry's Wonderland 3D is implementing it as well on the 3DS front. Rankings amongst a worldwide range of players is complete bullshit anyway so it'd be awesome to have a way to just drop in amongst whomever is playing in, say, the GAF community in CoD WiiU or something.

And if they can take this a step farther -- communities that span throughout ALL games, not just that specific one -- the impossible dream of an online gaming environment where you can really use headsets amongst randoms (random GAFers in this case) might be achieved.

Kokonoe

Banned
After using the Classic Controller Pro a lot on Dolphin today, I have to say I hope the octangle gates are on the final version of the Wii U controller.

Really helps out with Brawl and Tenkaichi 3.

Hot Dutch cops... and Wii U please? What!?

narf-archive-f7ad477ac0a49b6130ee2b7ba3733862be8c53d4.jpg

When I get up all in ya
We can hear the angels calling us
We can see the sunrise before us
And when I'm in that thang, I'll make that body sang
I make it say...

Wii U Wii U Wii (Wii),
Wii U Wii U Wii (Wii),
Wii U Wii U Wii (Wii),
(Like a cop car)

HylianTom

Banned
The sad thing is, if they show even 1 bullshit target render of their next platforms, it would not surprise me if that generates more "lol, nintendo is so last gen" from the gaming media.

I actually think that apart from sites that have dedicated platform coverage, the only way nintendo will be covered with any sort of quality next gen will be if the Wii U is über powerful. We all know that's not the case so I foresee another generation of bullshit media rivaling that of Wii. The sticks etc will mean they can at least mention them when talking about multiplats though.

Eh.. let the gaming media do what they want. If they want to willingly ignoring/maligning a rabid fanbase of customers, so be it. I have no pity for them if that's the kind of judgement they demonstrate.

Just imagine their reaction should Nintendo do well again. I wonder how many times this would have to happen before the decision makers at these sites finally start thinking, "Hey.. maybe we should consider devoting some better coverage to the big N."

I've been much happier with my current gaming website surfing pattern. And I get to laugh at the dumb antics of the majors. Or I get to smile smugly when things don't go so well for them.. *evilgrin*

So any chances of name change are completely dead now :(
I still believe
Goodnight, my sweet Juicy™.. maybe in six years we'll see each other again.

Nibel

When I get up all in ya
We can hear the angels calling us
We can see the sunrise before us
And when I'm in that thang, I'll make that body sang
I make it say...

Wii U Wii U Wii (Wii),
Wii U Wii U Wii (Wii),
Wii U Wii U Wii (Wii),
(Like a cop car)

Holy crap :lol
Can't unhear! :D