• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thankfully the game provides multiple avenues to address being mobbed. I believe I am going to take a few days and let the game get patched up some. Encountered a game breaking bug (Unable to interact with any NPC using any save) and half a dozen fairly bad ones.

Salaadin

3chopl0x said:
Whoever designed the Neckers in this game should be slapped, the combat system is definitely not meant for multiple enemy fights yet they design the Neckers to only be effective in large numbers.

Nekkers tend to get caught up on eachother if you move around. I usually kite them for a second or two when they bunch up and usually one or two stragglers make it to me and I can finish them off before the rest catch up.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
3chopl0x said:
Whoever designed the Neckers in this game should be slapped, the combat system is definitely not meant for multiple enemy fights yet they design the Neckers to only be effective in large numbers.

Bomb 'em good! Also, they are pretty weak to bleeding, so throw on some of that Brown Oil or whatever the thing was that increases bleeding %.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Kyaw said:
@ K.Jack: You craft bombs yourself but you can buy bomb diagrams from Cedric the elf.
oooh, I didn't realize bombs fell under the Alchemy menu.

Awesome. Time to start carpet bombing bitches.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
TouchMyBox said:
Dudes, get the rolling upgrade as soon as you possibly can.

You'll like it.

Yeah, I got the second rank (distance covered +200%), and it helps a lot in fights.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
The whirl skill is mad useful too. Being able to attack multiple enemies is awesome. Great against nekkers!

Arozay

M.D said:
For those who imported their save from the first game - Did you notice anything major impacted by the save? or is it just minor things? I want to play through the first game, but since my PC is hooked up to my TV and I don't have a wireless kb/m I can't yet
I'm only partway through Act II and it's mostly name drops. Some guy mentions
Thaler and Adda. Although I did have some guy from the Flaming Rose attack me for killing the Grand Master and Siegfried, but I'm sure he'd attack anyway just for the Grand Master.

I played from my Triss - Neutral save, so I'm curious to see what happens with a Shani save.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Zaro said:
I'm only partway through Act II and it's mostly name drops. Some guy mentions
Thaler and Adda. Although I did have some guy from the Flaming Rose attack me for killing the Grand Master and Siegfried, but I'm sure he'd attack anyway just for the Grand Master.

I played from my Triss - Neutral save, so I'm curious to see what happens with a Shani save.

I'm not using a Witcher 1 save, and
Thaler
got name dropped.

Arozay

thetrin said:
I'm not using a Witcher 1 save, and
Thaler
got name dropped.
Oh I meant the fact that
he's alive since you can kill him, same with Adda. So I guess it's like one line differences rather than anything substantial.

Darklord

Banned
I just got to the forest. Holy fucking shit! Now THAT is a forest! So good.

How do you improve things like intimidate and the spell to make people talk? I tried intimidating and it failed but is that a set thing?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
What difficulty is everyone playing on? I'm still working through Witcher 1, which has been pretty easy on Normal, so I'm thinking Hard for this.

Just curious what people's thoughts are so far regarding diff. selection.

Arozay

Darklord said:
I just got to the forest. Holy fucking shit! Now THAT is a forest! So good.

How do you improve things like intimidate and the spell to make people talk? I tried intimidating and it failed but is that a set thing?
Some people are set to ignore one or the other, and for the other there's a rank check. I think it ranks up through successful uses. But I'm just guessing based off the attributes page.

Salaadin

Brandon F said:
What difficulty is everyone playing on? I'm still working through Witcher 1, which has been pretty easy on Normal, so I'm thinking Hard for this.

Witcher 2 consensus seems to be:
Easy = too easy
Normal = Hard early on
Hard and Insane = suicide

Deadly

_Xenon_ said:
Where did you get that drunk and naked quest where you can have a stupid tattoo
and a reward sword
in chapter 1?
In the house where the Special Forces are, talk to Ves. It's besides the inn.

Echoplx

_Xenon_ said:
Where did you get that drunk and naked quest where you can have a stupid tattoo
and a reward sword
in chapter 1?

It's in the building where Roche and his soldiers hang out, town square i think.

Van Buren

Brandon F said:

Playing on Hard and enjoying the challenge. I had a 'Oh crap' moment when 7-8 Endrega suddenly took a liking to Geralt, but it was fun surviving that by the skin of my teeth.

It's very challenging, but fair.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
I think the harder difficulty comes from getting used to the battle system. It requires much more attention and skill from the player, than the semi-automatic fighting in TW1.

I think it kinda plays like a much faster Demon's Souls.

Brandon F

Van Buren said:
Playing on Hard and enjoying the challenge. I had a 'Oh crap' moment when 7-8 Endrega suddenly took a liking to Geralt, but it was fun surviving that by the skin of my teeth.

It's very challenging, but fair.

Awesome. Will do Hard then.

JoeBoy101

Brandon F said:

Yeah, normal feels like a nice level of challenge in fights so far. Easy is just too easy, but normal is not one step up, but feels like two. The combat is radically different, so the difficulty in the early parts on Normal are the learning curve (or wall, as the case may be).

Mr. Belmontvedere said:
is there any way to re-map the keys? as a lefty WASD doesn't really work for me :/

Go under Video and Language in the Launcher. There's a button for Input devices I believe. It'll let you remap gamepad and keyboard commands.

Brandon F

MrBelmontvedere said:
is there any way to re-map the keys? as a lefty WASD doesn't really work for me :/

You can remap in the visual settings menu of the launcher. There is a tab above the graphics settings for keyboard layout inputs.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Zefah said:
Yeah, I got the second rank (distance covered +200%), and it helps a lot in fights.
Spamming upgraded dodge is also the fast travel system in the game.

Salaadin

natkingcoleslaw said:
Does anybody know how to do troll trouble the non-violent way?

Troll Trouble spoilers:
The troll will attack you no matter what option you pick but will give up after you get his HP down to 50ish percent. From that point on, you can proceed non violently. If thats where youre at, stop reading now to avoid future quest spoilers.

If youre already passed this part and are referring to Dmitri, he needs to be killed. No way around that.

Echoplx

While we're on the topic of Troll Trouble, i got a key for
the bandits hideout after killing Dmitri
where is it exactly?

Salaadin

3chopl0x said:
While we're on the topic of Troll Trouble, i got a key for
the bandits hideout after killing Dmitri
where is it exactly?

Im not entirely sure if this is it but I found a small house in the middle of the woods yesterday surrounded by drowners, drowning dead, and a small group of bandits. When I tried to enter, it said "Door unlocked" before letting me in so I assumed thats what the key was for. Inside was some junk, A few orens, and a Steel Sword that does 17-23 damage, I think. Superior Cutlass?

As for its location, Go thru Lobinden and to the troll. Head to the side of the river that you cant access because of the broken bridge. Hug that wall and head down the river away from the troll, back towards the forest. Eventually, the wall shrinks down and theres some more pieces of a would be bridge laid out in a way that you can go up that side of the river. Venture back there and into a swamp. Its hard to miss once youre there.

I found it by accident just exploring to see if there was a way to the other side of the river since the troll bridge is busted

Arozay

So what's the point of lesser mutagens if that shit's permanent? Like you wouldn't use greaters all the time (would have like to know more about that before I slotted in 2 lesser armour ones on my first day).

Exuro

3chopl0x said:
You can tear apart groups if you get whirl.

Zaro said:
So what's the point of lesser mutagens if that shit's permanent? Like you wouldn't use greaters all the time (would have like to know more about that before I slotted in 2 lesser armour ones on my first day).
That's the point I was trying to make earlier. If mutagens were rare items I could understand it but you get mutagens from every other mob and they're most likely crap. It's useless and I haven't even touched them as I don't want to gimp my character.

Salaadin

Patch coming next week, game is selling faster than they expected.

We would like to inform you that our server infrastructure is fully functional. At the same time we are still working on further improving it. Our target is to have it absolutely bullet proof very soon.

Right now, we are also doing everything we can to resolve the current issues. We increased the size of our tech support team to nearly 20 people, but despite this, we still have some unanswered e-mails. The game is selling faster than anyone expected – right now, hundreds of thousands of people across the globe are already playing The Witcher 2! So please excuse us as if we are a little overwhelmed by your requests, but we do intend to reply to all your e-mails as quickly as possible.

Moreover, we are about to finish work on a patch that will address some common issues like mouse inversion and key mapping as well as many others. It will be ready next week!

In the meantime, if you are still experiencing problems and would like to discuss them publicly, please do so as comments to this news post. Our team will be answering your questions here.

In the name of the whole team, we apologize from the bottom of our hearts, to everyone who cannot enjoy the game as intended. We promise that we will keep on working to make everything absolutely perfect! Watch for more news coming soon.

http://www.en.thewitcher.com/community/

Exuro said:
That's the point I was trying to make earlier. If mutagens were rare items I could understand it but you get mutagens from every other mob and they're most likely crap. It's useless and I haven't even touched them as I don't want to gimp my character.

They are too common. I usually end up selling off a lot of them.
I liked the first game where they were rare potions that you had to make with rare ingredients, strong bases, and then you had to use skill points to unlock them after drinking. They felt more special.

Exuro

Riposte said:
Can I get an example on what a good mutagen looks like?
I think greater mutagens are the best but then again I can't say for sure.

Speaking of The Witcher community, when are the forums suppose to go up or am I just not seeing where they are?

Tacitus_ said:
That fight is a bitch. I spent 30~mins on him until I finally caved in and roflstomped him on easy. Turned difficulty right back to normal after that.

Ended up having to do the same, and the difference in difficulty between easy and normal is outlandish.

I really wish developers wouldn't makes boss battles like this. It just always feels so cheap to me and hurts my overall enjoyment of the game. In this case it was particularly annoying because you've been taught certain limitations throughout the game which makes it all the more obvious that he is not bound by them. It's like playing online with someone who is using cheats. :/

In Witcher 1, there was a boss battle outside of an old mage tower. The enemy was tough, but still just a guy and winning was satisfying. This "inexplicable super-being" nonsense is just annoying.

To quote Random City Dweller Lady in The Witcher: I'm mad. :p

But who knows... maybe in the end it will turn out that he has a sword infused with a piece of an ancient and evil dwarven relic from the Deep Roads and then it will all make sense. ;)

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Sheesh how big is this troll-dlc? I've been downloading for ages and I have no idea how much I've downloaded nor how big the file is. Can I just turn it off and resume later? A pulsating square next to the word "downloading" feels abit 1993

Salaadin

Corky said:
Sheesh how big is this troll-dlc? I've been downloading for ages and I have no idea how much I've downloaded nor how big the file is. Can I just turn it off and resume later? A pulsating square next to the word "downloading" feels abit 1993

Took me like 30 seconds to download + install. It was fast.

HeadlessRoland said:
I am trying to think of RPG that was this difficult and where strategy is absolutely mandatory and failing. Swinging the sword is the easy the part. Hack and Slashers will die instantly and repeatedly even the least difficult level. Hard is probably impossible for 95% of gamers. And insane? Forget about it.

What? On easy the game more or less plays itself, as long as you don't specc in a completely insane way, and can endure the first couple hours where you're absolutely underpowered. The average gamer is not *that* stupid or impatient.

syllogism

Corky said:
Approximately 7mb...

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
syllogism said:
Approximately 7mb...

well then something is obviously borked :( sigh.

I registered the game do I have to enter something in the redeem code box?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom