• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wes

venison crêpe
Tacitus_ said:
What did you do to
get arrested? I just strolled through after my special ops buddy, went to see the king, got the brat out and finished the 'meeting'

I did it differently:
I was friends with Iorveth. I didn't get arrested. I avoided being seen by the soldiers and went in through the sewers.

Who was in the jail for you?

Chiggs said:
I thought the game had 5 acts?

Three acts along with a prologue and epilogue.

Carm

Van Buren said:
Can supposedly be used for the troll tongue needed in a quest, but I cannot get the head anymore since I finished the dice poker series of quests.

I do have a troll tongue atm as well, not sure where the hell I got it. So I won't need it for that quest since I have a tongue?

Tacitus_

Wes said:
I did it differently:
I was friends with Iorveth. I didn't get arrested. I avoided being seen by the soldiers and went in through the sewers.

Who was in the jail for you?

cont. act3 spoilers:
I had a choice of going after Foltests surviving bastard with the spec ops dude or going after triss. Chose duty before love... and besides, I'd rather plough Ves >_>

pahamrick

Geralt is such a dirty cheat. Okay, not really but here's something that amused me.

Concerning Troll Trouble and another quest, going to spoiler things to be on the safe side.

So I go through Troll Trouble and help the troll out by killing the guys who murdered his woman, even got her head back for him and got the diagram for Hunter's armor. Looks kind of like Raven armor except it's got some blue patches in it, and its stats are a bit higher. I go and talk to the guy in town, and get my 200 orens for not killing the troll.

I'm thinking job well done, but after a bit of wandering into random houses I come across a woman who ends up giving me the quest Meliteles heart (You need to have gotten the amulet in the prologue for this one, apparently.) Of course, she needs some ingredients -- of which one is a troll's tongue. Well, I didn't know where else to see another troll and I really want to complete this quest in case I get a cool item to use so back to the poor hungover troll.

Wasn't sure what would happen, if anything, since I had already cleared the quest out but soon as I talked to him got the option to kill him. Poor troll, at least he won't have to stare at his wife's head on a wall anymore. So, I get the tongue and then head back to town to turn in the two monster notice board quests but soon as I talk to him I get the option to turn in the quest for killing the troll, which nets me another 100 orens and some experience.

Wonder if its a bug, or by design.

Also, speaking of bugs here's one I can reproduce each time, every time so consider it a heads up.

When fighting those worm queens in Chapter 1, if you have daggers equipped and the skill to be able to throw them, don't press the item button to throw them at a queen. Every time I do it I lose all mouse control in game. Can't attack, can't turn the camera, ect. If I press ESC I can use the mouse just fine but it requires a save reload to fix the issue.

Wes

venison crêpe
Tacitus_ said:
cont. act3 spoilers:
I had a choice of going after Foltests surviving bastard with the spec ops dude or going after triss. Chose duty before love... and besides, I'd rather plough Ves >_>

Interesting! Spoilers cont. with a hint of Chapter 2 too:
Phillipa Einhart was in the jail for me. I had the choice of freeing her to get Saskia or go for Triss. I freed her. In Chapter 2 were you in the Dwarf town?

Nezabyte

Neo Member
Coldsnap said:
I'm just thinking about bumping it down to Easy and slicing dudes in half.

Consider putting it higher again when you get better equipment and abilities. He becomes much more of a badass.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Excuse but , what the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck where they thinking when they designed the checkpoints in ch 2 where you meet the boss? Huh? Ok I don't mind the boss killing me in 1 hit. But did you have to pour acid down my urethra by forcing me to play the same 5minutes over and over again?

Tacitus_

Wes said:
Interesting! Spoilers cont. with a hint of Chapter 2 too:
Phillipa Einhart was in the jail for me. I had the choice of freeing her to get Saskia or go for Triss. I freed her. In Chapter 2 were you in the Dwarf town?

I went with spec ops so I started in the
King's camp. Don't think I had a convo face to face with Phillipa at all during the game. Saw her back at the end of act2 when I sneaked into the Dwarven town.
This is really interesting...

Just took my first stab at the
Letho[\spoiler] fight and... do I need to check my difficulty setting? :p Quen is up, using non-silver sword which I'm not sure is right but I doubt that matters since I'm landing almost no shots. Had already taken Swallow and Tawny before the fight. I just got destroyed. I think I took off maybe 15% health before I died.

Ceebs

Later act one spoilers:

That Letho fight was the biggest pain in the fucking ass yet. About as obnoxious as Azar Javed's knockdowns in the original only with the downside of Letho being able to murder you very quickly.

It seems Fantasy Batman: The RPG is a pretty damn good way to describe the game to people that know nothing about it.

Tacitus_

CabbageRed said:
Letho
fight and... do I need to check my difficulty setting? :p Quen is up, using non-silver sword which I'm not sure is right but I doubt that matters since I'm landing almost no shots. Had already taken Swallow and Tawny before the fight. I just got destroyed. I think I took off maybe 15% health before I died.

That fight is a bitch. I spent 30~mins on him until I finally caved in and roflstomped him on easy. Turned difficulty right back to normal after that.

Ceebs

CabbageRed said:
Lethro
fight and... do I need to check my difficulty setting? :p Quen is up, using non-silver sword which I'm not sure is right but I doubt that matters since I'm landing almost no shots. Had already taken Swallow and Tawny before the fight. I just got destroyed. I think I took off maybe 15% health before I died.
You only need to take off half his health, but I ended up rolling around waiting for him to swing and trying to get a fast or strong off on his back when open while keeping up Quen as needed. It's annoying and takes forever, but I was getting destroyed trying to parry him to get an opening.

Wes

venison crêpe
Tacitus_ said:
King's camp. Don't think I had a convo face to face with Phillipa at all during the game. Saw her back at the end of act2 when I sneaked into the Dwarven town.

Oooh!
Because I went with Iorveth at the end of Chapter 1 I was in the Dwarven town and that was my quest hub! The main quest line involved Saskia and Phillipa. I had to sneak into the King's Camp at one point and get to the King!

Well that's just increased the replay value for me. Thanks for the info Tacitus!

Sanic

Van Buren said:
If you are in Chapters 1 or 2 in the Witcher, the narrative will soon pick up and become engrossing towards the second-half of the game. In your position, I'd continue on, because you might want to devour anything that is witcher-related after playing the second game, and the combat system in the first might be even harder to get into after playing the second.

At a certain point, things are liable to fall in place and click.

Thanks, i'm in act 2. Combat is what's really turning me off, story to a lesser extent, but i'll take your word that it starts to pick up.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
pahamrick said:
When fighting those worm queens in Chapter 1, if you have daggers equipped and the skill to be able to throw them, don't press the item button to throw them at a queen. Every time I do it I lose all mouse control in game. Can't attack, can't turn the camera, ect. If I press ESC I can use the mouse just fine but it requires a save reload to fix the issue.

I just spammed Yrden to trap her and then laid into her with my silver sword. Then again, easy is REALLY easy, so I'm sure I would have been murdered on easy. I kinda wish there was a half step between easy and normal, because I find easy too easy, and normal at the beginning a bit unforgiving (until you have better gear).

Barberetti said:
Oh Malena, you cunning little minx!

That's the thanks I get for giving her the benefit of the doubt. :\

Atilac

Jesus the witcher 2 creates a ton of savegames - it never overrides my old quick save, it creates a new 6MB game file everythime, I just deleted nearly 2gigs of old game saves.

raphier

Banned
Atilac said:
Jesus the witcher 2 creates a ton of savegames - it never overrides my old quick save, it creates a new 6MB game file everythime, I just deleted nearly 2gigs of old game saves.
what? aw shit, I thought they got rid of this.
18gb erased from my witcher 1 folder recently

Tacitus_

Wes said:
Oooh!
Because I went with Iorveth at the end of Chapter 1 I was in the Dwarven town and that was my quest hub! The main quest line involved Saskia and Phillipa. I had to sneak into the King's Camp at one point and get to the King!

Well that's just increased the replay value for me. Thanks for the info Tacitus!

Same to you my man. I wanna fight with the so called Dragonslayer. The king is a dick compared to Foltest.

pahamrick

thetrin said:
I just spammed Yrden to trap her and then laid into her with my silver sword. Then again, easy is REALLY easy, so I'm sure I would have been murdered on easy. I kinda wish there was a half step between easy and normal, because I find easy too easy, and normal at the beginning a bit unforgiving (until you have better gear).

I started out on normal, but after spending around 12 hours in chapter 1 and crafting just about all the best gear I currently have diagrams for and maxing out the two Quen talents in the magic tree I had to bump it up to hard.

The queens weren't really hard, its just for the second one I set up a couple traps and I was going to try tossing daggers at it from a distance but soon as I hit R to toss a dagger all my mouse controls just died.

Atilac said:

That's weird. I have a whole crap ton of auto saves I need to delete every so often but it only ever has the one quick save for me.

Kyaw

WTF, game wont let me enter the cave beneath the elven ruins in Chapter 1.

First i can't destroy the brick wall with Aard. After save reloading, the wall was gone but wont let me jump down.
The quest is for the Ostmurk herb, one of the Kayran missions

@ K.Jack: You craft bombs yourself but you can buy bomb diagrams from Cedric the elf.

pahamrick

Kyaw said:

First i can't destroy the brick wall with Aard. After save reloading, the wall was gone but wont let me jump down.

@ K.Jack: You craft bombs yourself but you can buy bomb diagrams from Cedric the elf.

The cave is behind the waterfall, no walls need to be destroyed.

Echoplx

Atilac said:

Yeah no wonder Steam decided not to add cloud saving for this game :lol

Chiggs

Gold Member
Anyone here do the mine quest in the beginning of Chapter 2? Good stuff...really good stuff. Except for your dumbass companions. I kept hitting them with bombs.

Tacitus_

Wes said:
She's hot!

That she is. Only talked to her in character once I think when I was fetching one of the quest parts. Told her to
leg it while the King can't cross due to the curse
and then she gave me a depressing speech how I've never had to serve bulging tables while going back to a starving family.

The next time I went to her side of the place
the kings forces were killing burning and plundering their way through the city :/

_Xenon_

Banned
Kyaw said:

Beneath the elven ruins? You can find your herb in a cave behind the waterfall.

Edit: beaten :(

Speculator

BioWare Austin
Kyaw said:

I encountered this bug as well strangely enough and its the cave in the Elven Ruin, not the one in the waterfall. I believe this is actually a bug, and the wall is destroyed on one of the crit path quests sometime after you defeat the Kayran in a scripted sequence by an NPC.

Wes

venison crêpe
Tacitus_ said:
That she is. Only talked to her in character once I think when I was fetching one of the quest parts. Told her to
leg it while the King can't cross due to the curse
and then she gave me a depressing speech how I've never had to serve bulging tables while going back to a starving family.

The next time I went to her side of the place
the kings forces were killing burning and plundering their way through the city :/

Most intriguing!

I had to sneak into the Kings camp to steal some of his "Royal Blood". I let him live. Once the mist came your King attacked the Dwarven city but the Dragonslayer and I defeated the siege and your King surrendered. And then all kinds of shit went down... which I wont even spoil in a spoiler!

Vlodril

Fuck the boss fights in this game. Its not only that they are difficult but the one in the second act doesnt save before it happens so i have to do the whole sequence until i get there almost from the beginning. Why did they ruin the perfectly good save system from TW1 is beyond me. Fine you are not letting me save in battle. Autosave before the boss fights at least how hard can that be?

_Xenon_

Banned
Salaadin said:
Act 1 medallion quest question:

I have some Medallion that a witch believes to be Meliteles Heart and she gave me a recipe I need to gather ingredients for. Can all of these be obtained in Act 1 or is it one of those long branching quests? Some of them items she needs, I have no idea how to get. Trolls tongue? The only trolls I know of are the actual troll and then his wifes head. Im assuming I need to get the head from that guy to get the tongue.
I also need a fetus from one of those scorpion things. All Ive found so far are embryos.
How did you get the medallion in the first place? I met the Newboy after breaking out of jail but he didn't give me anything. Is it because I chose to let him lure away the guards?

Wes

venison crêpe
_Xenon_ said:
How did you get the medallion in the first place? I met the Newboy after breaking out of jail but he didn't give me anything. Is it because I chose to let him lure away the guards?
You get it before the battle in the camp I think. I believe you have to tell him that whilst it contains some magic it's useless and he should wear armour.

Tacitus_

Wes said:
Most intriguing!

I had to sneak into the Kings camp to steal some of his "Royal Blood". I let him live. Once the mist came your King attacked the Dwarven city but the Dragonslayer and I defeated the siege and your King surrendered. And then all kinds of shit went down... which I wont even spoil in a spoiler!

All kinds of shit will go down when you're siding with the king and you'll get to choose
whether he lives or not... I closed my eyes from some very, very, very justified revenge

And Dandelion
almost gets himself killed again. He wrote some anti-king poetry and gave it to a anti-king conspiracy group. Geralt lost his shit when he realized who wrote it and when he heard what was starting to happen to the caught perps

thetrin said:

Yeah I'm going to be dealing with her just as soon as I get out of this haunted house I've stumbled upon. Damn, this game is kicking all sorts of arse, and I'm loving every minute of it.

Salaadin

_Xenon_ said:
Medallion quest (prologue) spoilers
I found him dead when I broke out of jail and picked up from his corpse LMAO

bounchfx

thetrin said:

same! just finished that part, aha. Fucked em up good.

Sober

Tacitus_ said:
Oh, so depending on
who you side with
in Act 1, Act 2 begins in 2 different ways with 2 completely different quest hubs and everything? That's cool.

Deadly

I remember somebody posting that you needed the DLC in order to finish up the quest Mystic River? Could anyone clarify why?

I guess I need to bow out of this thread. I'm not playing the game fast enough to keep up with this thread and some people aren't properly spoiler tagging..

M.D

For those who imported their save from the first game - Did you notice anything major impacted by the save? or is it just minor things? I want to play through the first game, but since my PC is hooked up to my TV and I don't have a wireless kb/m I can't yet

Echoplx

Whoever designed the Neckers in this game should be slapped, the combat system is definitely not meant for multiple enemy fights yet they design the Neckers to only be effective in large numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom