• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

woober

I've tried activating my amazon pre-order bonus and it's giving me an error 'Invalid Code.' Anyone able to get theirs to work?

Coldsnap

I'm also getting a ton of DX10 errors while playing Final Fantasy XIV on the nvidia beta drivers. Gonna have to go back to 270.61, hopefully my fps wont take a huge hit. I had a perfect fps of 35-45 on ultra.

sflufan

Banned
Chiggs said:
I honestly don't care. The developers have a right to use any dialogue they want in order to convey the characters in the gameworld.

No pussyfooting please.

You do know what "niggardly" means, right? ;)

Sober

Coldsnap said:
how do you delete old saves again? This save system is insane... wtf...
\(My) Documents\Witcher 2\gamesaves

Luckily even if you delete the old autosaves it keeps numbering them as if nothing changed. I deleted like the first 96 of them (all from Act 1 and the Prologue), that was about a gigs worth of save files. Kinda like the same as the first Witcher, I usually clear out the previous act's autosaves after I've passed it.

They should be named AutoSave_xxxx.sav, starting from 0001 I think up until 9999 I'm guessing. Also delete the corresponding screenshot, they range from maybe 600kb to 1MB in size for me.

Nearing the end of chapter 1 on the main quest:

Anyone found a good technique for fighting Letho on hard? He's one cheap son of a bitch, keeps chain-casting Quen. I go into the fight with 4 minutes left on Swallow and Tawny Owl and can't even get him down to 50% before they wear off. He's not hitting me either, we're just dancing around in a stalemate where we each try to get a couple of little taps in before the other guy casts fucking Quen again, it's really tedious.

Is there some gimmick to the fight that I'm missing?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
jim-jam bongs said:
Is there some gimmick to the fight that I'm missing?
I don't think you're missing anything, just keep trying
if you got him close to 50% you're almost done cos that's all you need to end it
or at least that's what you need on normal.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Does completing a specific quest trigger the transition to chapter 2, or are you asked if you're ready to move on before chapter 1 ends? I kind of want to keep going with the main quest (I just finished the Krayan), but I don't want to accidentally end chapter 1 before finishing everything up.

Alexios

Zefah said:
Does completing a specific quest trigger the transition to chapter 2, or are you asked if you're ready to move on before chapter 1 ends?
I don't remember being asked for the chapter's end, at least on the paths I chose, maybe things can go down differently... It kinda sucked yeah.

Deadly

Zefah said:
Does completing a specific quest trigger the transition to chapter 2, or are you asked if you're ready to move on before chapter 1 ends? I kind of want to keep going with the main quest (I just finished the Krayan), but I don't want to accidentally end chapter 1 before finishing everything up.
After certain decisions they'll ask you if you're ready to go or you have stuff to do. Not all though.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Alextended said:
I don't remember being asked, at least on the paths I chose... It kinda sucked yeah.

There was a part after meeting with
Iorveth
where I had the choice to move forward with the quest or tell him I had to do some other stuff first. I assume that's the point of no return.

Alexios

Snuggler said:
There was a part after meeting with
Iorveth
where I had the choice to move forward with the quest or tell him I had to do some other stuff first. I assume that's the point of no return.
The part of no return for me was a mission with
Roche
and wasn't terribly obvious that it would end right after that, though he did ask me if I'm ready etc as before many quests.

In the end it's not a real issue, one could just load an auto save before that mission was started if they accidentally do it while unaware it's the final one for the chapter.

If I ever find the arsehole that laid all the snare traps through the forest, I swear they will be feeling the pointy end of my fucking sword!

Exuro

Just beat the game. Not sure how I feel about it now. Chapter 1 was by far the strongest.

Was chapter 3 ridiculously short or did I miss out on a lot of quests? It took about 4 hours to complete and I know I missed a few quests but the other chapters which I also missed a few quests took me 10+ hours to finish. I'm not sure how the different endings are suppose to play out and maybe mine just sucked but Triss and Geralt are leaving the camp and after the credits Geralt just stares at the camp from a cliff and then walks off. Doesn't even feel like a cliffhanger as they don't pump me up on what they're doing/where they're going.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Barberetti said:
If I ever find the arsehole that laid all the snare traps through the forest, I swear they will be feeling the pointy end of my fucking sword!

I'm always stepping on them when I want to disarm them since Geralt goes from run to walk so easy with the analog stick.

Those snares have definitely got me out of some sticky situations, though, I throw them down like crazy when I'm up against a crowd.

IZZO

Neo Member
I'm stuck after the hard boss fight in chapter 1 ( you know the one I'm talking about )
I need to follow the blood trail to find Cedric but all I found was 2 dead bodies one inside flotsam and the other one in the forest

Alextended said:
I don't think you're missing anything, just keep trying
if you got him close to 50% you're almost done cos that's all you need to end it
or at least that's what you need on normal.

I'm playing on hard but I'd assume that it's the same. Will try now, thanks!

Barberetti said:

It was Cedric. If you ask him for local hunting tips he tells you that he's put traps all over the forest. Bloody elves.

Varna

Anyone else having their frame-rate locked at 30 during dialogue, finishers and cutscenes? Did some testing and it's definitely not my ram or vram running out. I can fix it by using alt+tab in and out. But that's getting really annoying to do.

Snuggler said:
I'm always stepping on them when I want to disarm them since Geralt goes from run to walk so easy with the analog stick.

Those snares have definitely got me out of some sticky situations, though, I throw them down like crazy when I'm up against a crowd.

Yeah I've taken to picking them up when I find them and using them now and again. Already sold a load of them as well, so at least I'm getting some easy cash for my troubles. Makes me jump when I step in one though :lol

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
burgerdog said:
Where is Malena after the
ambush?

Near the waterfall there is a path on the side you can take that brings to a set of ruins. It's where another side mission can be found
about the hospital.
Just look around one of the busted pieces of wall, I used a cat potion to make it easy.

antonz

Exuro said:
Just beat the game. Not sure how I feel about it now. Chapter 1 was by far the strongest.

Was chapter 3 ridiculously short or did I miss out on a lot of quests? It took about 4 hours to complete and I know I missed a few quests but the other chapters which I also missed a few quests took me 10+ hours to finish. I'm not sure how the different endings are suppose to play out and maybe mine just sucked but Triss and Geralt are leaving the camp and after the credits Geralt just stares at the camp from a cliff and then walks off. Doesn't even feel like a cliffhanger as they don't pump me up on what they're doing/where they're going.
Had the same ending.
I think there is alot of excess stuff to do at the last chapter cause I saw a notice board filled with stuff but just went passed it.
I can see the problem they faced with the ending of this one because the upcoming events with the Northern Kingdoms being invaded etc is pretty big. WIll it be an expansion pack or Witcher 3 is hard to say.

Well, I finished it. Overall it was pretty good and I can tell it'll be one of my top games of the year.

Exuro said:

I agree that chapter 1 was the strongest.

I don't know if you missed out on quests but it was pretty short for me, too. I got the same ending as you and felt let down by it.

poisonelf

OK, time to be hated and scorned (or ignored), by the vast majority of a thread.

I have had very little free time, so I'm at the beginning of chapter 1, just got to Flotsam. I have to ask... does the corridor shooter/God of War FUCKING END?
Poorly done uninteresting QTEs, spam mouse button to turn levers, timed waves of enemies while turning said levers, point A to B to C led by the nose, what the fuck ??

If any other game had gone from a paragon of PC RPGs to this there would've been an uproar, I really believe this. The graphics are out of this world, the atmosphere insane, the combat great so far, the story seems to be very interesting, but does this style of play end?

Is it that I've been going through a console style tutorial so far? Do I get to experience the RPG part from now on? Please tell me that it is so.

I actually bought both the digital version from gog.com and the retail collector's. I loved the Witcher to death. I'm playing amidst a Geralt head on the desk, a map of the game on the wall, and the glorious box atop a shelf.

Exuro

antonz said:
Had the same ending.
I think there is alot of excess stuff to do at the last chapter cause I saw a notice board filled with stuff but just went passed it.
I can see the problem they faced with the ending of this one because the upcoming events with the Northern Kingdoms being invaded etc is pretty big. WIll it be an expansion pack or Witcher 3 is hard to say.
But it's just so abrupt. It would had been nice if Geralt talked for a bit, saying what was on his mind and what his plan was, to go after the Emporer and Yennefer. It just feels like the ending is missing.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
poisonelf said:
OK, time to be hated and scorned (or ignored), by the vast majority of a thread.

I have had very little free time, so I'm at the beginning of chapter 1, just got to Flotsam. I have to ask... does the corridor shooter/God of War FUCKING END?
Poorly done uninteresting QTEs, spam mouse button to turn levers, timed waves of enemies while turning said levers, point A to B to C led by the nose, what the fuck ??

If any other game had gone from a paragon of PC RPGs to this there would've been an uproar, I really believe this. The graphics are out of this world, the atmosphere insane, the combat great so far, the story seems to be very interesting, but does this style of play end?

Is it that I've been going through a console style tutorial so far? Do I get to experience the RPG part from now on? Please tell me that it is so.

I actually bought both the digital version from gog.com and the retail collector's. I loved the Witcher to death. I'm playing amidst a Geralt head on the desk, a map of the game on the wall, and the glorious box atop a shelf.

That's pretty much isolated to that one specific scene in the prologue.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
The prologue is very action heavy but once you hit Flotsam, it opens up and you'll have plenty of quests to do and room to explore. The combat to everything else ratio is about the same as TW1.

Zeliard

You just got to the part where the game opens up and gives you the reigns. The entire prologue functions as a tutorial - quite necessarily, obviously, when you see how many people have struggled grasping all the concepts and mechanics.

poisonelf said:

Prologue is linear. Once you get to Flotsam in Act 1, the game completely opens up..

poisonelf said:

I have had very little free time, so I'm at the beginning of chapter 1, just got to Flotsam.
So you haven't really seen anything yet. You should probably play another 10 hours before trying to judge it.

Kyaw

The prologue is just a tutorial.
And a huge shocker in the story (Foltest's death)

Things definitely get opened up in Flotsam.

Carm

HeadlessRoland said:
What? On easy if you zerg into even a group of 3-4 enemies you will die instantly. Its more difficult than DA1/DA2 by a huge fucking margin. And the "average" gamer bitched so loud about those they had to patch in a difficulty adjustment. Even "normal" is going to be beyond many.

This also says nothing about the fact the most common complaint so far seen is "Game wont work" followed by "Its too hard".

The complaints about the difficulty are cracking me up. Games hand hold so much these days, you don't even have to pay attention half the time anymore. I've been playing on hard and have died roughly 8 times and I'm mostly done with Act 1. Three of those deaths were due to QTEs in the Prologue so I hate to even count those.

I see people saying abuse Quen or dodge, why use the word abuse in these cases? The game expects you to use all the tools in the bag, you're not being cheap,abusing anything doing exactly what the game wants.This is not a button smasher, has never been portrayed as such, so why treat it as one, then complain when you get fucked up?

That pcgamer review shows exactly why no one should ever look to a review to determine a purchase of a game. The reviewer, having to comment on the review itself trying to explain what they would give another game is hilarious. It doesn't matter what they would have given DA2 because at the end of the day 90% of the readers will never remember the author of the reviews of these games.

All they will remember is pcgamer gave DA2 94% TW2 89%, when the latter is far far better. Review sites really need to go to having 1/2 reviewers per genre, and a genre they like. I seriously don't understand the complaints about the combat. Is it perfect, no it's not, I get the impression some thought it was gonna play like a fluid Japanese action game. It play really close to Batman:AA combat, there is nothing half-baked about it, if you understand what it's trying to do.

Again, I'm seeing posts, asking questions that are answered either in the in game tutorial, or the game manual. READ THE DAMN MANUAL PEOPLE lol.

poisonelf

I'm relieved and overjoyed :D

Thanks for the responses. I have to get up early but I'm excited enough now to play more... Zombie to work tomorrow for the sake of Witcher 2, as it should be.

I know it seems silly to ask this when I'm this early in the game, but having had no time to myself and going through this short section in multiple brief sittings over 3 days, it felt like too huge a part to be a tutorial.

poisonelf said:

Thanks for the responses. I have to get up early but I'm excited enough now to play more... Zombie to work tomorrow for the sake of Witcher 2, as it should be.

I know it seems silly to ask this when I'm this early in the game, but having had no time to myself and going through this short section in multiple brief sittings over 3 days, it felt like too huge a part to be a tutorial.

Oops accidently deleted my first response- Original Witcher started the same way as Witcher 2 (well in a similar fashion....both prologues were linear) .

poisonelf said:
READ THE DAMN MANUAL PEOPLE lol.

Maybe it's just me, but having played the original Witcher seems to have primed me for the combat despite it being completely different from the first. It felt relatively painless getting into it. Maybe that's another good reason to play the original first I suppose.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
poisonelf said:

Congratulations! You've played the tutorial!

Circle of Willis said:
Maybe it's just me, but having played the original Witcher seems to have primed me for the combat despite it being completely different from the first. It felt relatively painless getting into it. Maybe that's another good reason to play the original first I suppose.

It pretty much is the tutorial though. The game introduces you to almost all aspects of the game throughout the entire prologue.

Kyaw

poisonelf said:

That's probably why. I got to chapter 1 in one sitting. The prologue isnt that long and it does set things up very nicely.

Ceebs

Man, those people who were confused with the plot and characters being tossed around in the prologue are going to be utterly lost within minutes of starting chapter 2. From what I pieced together this is going to be an awesome chapter though. On to read all those character journals in game and browse the Witcher wiki for a bit.

thetrin said:
It pretty much is the tutorial though. The game introduces you to almost all aspects of the game throughout the entire prologue.

I remember struggling mightily with the combat in the original Witcher. I didn't read the manual either but this time around everything just felt like old hat since I knew what skills were at his disposal. Am I the only one who feels this way?

BTW, can you sell formulas and books once you've read them? Or do you not retain the knowledge? I remember in the first one, you can just sell them once you've read them..

Can anyone tell me how does Chapter 2 start if at the end of Chapter 1 you picked
Iorveth and not Roche. Cannot imagine them walking straight into King's camp. Is there more emphasis on Saskia?

Oh btw, on Normal by the mid-end of Chapter 2 things start to get more OP. I was able to kill
big, giant, flame dude in the mist
with 6-7 heavy swings.

~Kinggi~

Banned
God damn this retail install is FUCKED. After fucking extracting with poweriso and then launching from a virtual drive im still getting crc errors. Good news is hitting 'retry' seems to continue progress so the errors seem kinda random.

This is a disaster on their part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom