• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tokubetsu

Exuro said:
And that's great but these are things from chapter 1. I never said chapter 1 was easy. The rest of the game gets much easier which I find a little disappointing.

Yeah, that first forest is brutal. It's like a densely packed maze of fuck you.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
what....

WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?

WHat the fuck just happened?! I was adoring this game, I've been hooked the past 48h sometimes forgetting to even eat just in order to " only do one more quest, only one more quest"

Then I got to chapter 3. What? Let me rephrase that ; WHAT?! What happened? I feel like jackiechanmyheadisfulloffuck.jpeg ^ 10000000

I can't believe it. One of my favorite games without a doubt, what a sad state of affairs that it had the worst ~2 final hours of any game I've played in recent memory. Never have a game left such a bad taste in my mouth after what happened in the final parts of the game. And this is not a commentary on that the game did or didn't end the way I was expecting or wanting it to do. Rather I'll let this word echo throughout : what?

Carm

For anyone that is in Act 1 and has completed In The Claws of Madness questline, I have a question.
The guide says if you get the pig hearts/eyes the wraith will believe you, but when I did it, with no nekker hearts/eyes in my inventory, he still didn't believe and I had to fight him. Has anyone been able to deceive him?

jim-jam bongs said:
It was Cedric. If you ask him for local hunting tips he tells you that he's put traps all over the forest. Bloody elves.

Hmm .. I don't remember getting the option to ask him that. Guess I'll have to pay him another visit. Thanks!

Exuro

Corky said:
what....

WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?

WHat the fuck just happened?! I was adoring this game, I've been hooked the past 48h sometimes forgetting to even eat just in order to " only do one more quest, only one more quest"

Then I got to chapter 3. What? Let me rephrase that ; WHAT?! What happened? I feel like jackiechanmyheadisfulloffuck.jpeg ^ 10000000

I can't believe it. One of my favorite games without a doubt, what a sad state of affairs that it had the worst ~2 final hours of any game I've played in recent memory. Never have a game left such a bad taste in my mouth after what happened in the final parts of the game. And this is not a commentary on that the game did or didn't end the way I was expecting or wanting it to do. Rather I'll let this word echo throughout : what?
This is exactly how I feel. The game begins at a climax and just slopes down until it hits chapter 3/epilogue which is rock bottom. It feels like there isn't even an ending. Chapter 3 itself was ridiculously short which didn't help. I enjoyed the dragon fight but ugh wtf. When it ended I was thinking "oh there will be a cutscene after the cedits". There was but it was nothing. wtf.

First off, Yrden is the trap sign, not the mind-control one.

Sweet you are not even using the most ideal sign.

Second, the game makes it clear straight up that fighting groups of enemies will get you killed so you should have immediately started thinking about how to remove the second wraith so that you could take them down one at a time. Given that your primary CC is Yrden it's really not a stretch to assume that would be the most effective approach.

Primary CC is not Yrden, in fact its so weak its next to useless till you can upgrade various related skills. Its fucking far from the "first line of defense in the half a second you survive the fight"

Or just use Quen like Lostconfused said. You don't need to die to figure it out, you need to use some common-sense.

The problem being their professed tactics are on a lower difficulty... Im not sure what isnt being comprehended. If you claim to have beaten the prologue and first chapter on hard and died 8 times you are a liar, period. Assuming you have not played the game before. The claim is absurd. The person who made it retracted it.

Zeliard

HeadlessRoland said:
You turn the games difficult down when it gets hard. I think this is superseding your brilliant use of precognition and intuited tactics.

Are you really so pathetic you have to descend to this level?

Hixx

Carm said:
For anyone that is in Act 1 and has completed In The Claws of Madness questline, I have a question.
The guide says if you get the pig hearts/eyes the wraith will believe you, but when I did it, with no nekker hearts/eyes in my inventory, he still didn't believe and I had to fight him. Has anyone been able to deceive him?

Yeah I got quite annoyed with this too;
I did have Nekker eyes but I went and bought the Pig Eyes/Hearts but got screwed over.
Wonder if its a bug or just got changed in a build after the guide was finalized.

Zeliard said:
Are you really so pathetic you have to descend to this level?

Im not sure what level pointing out you turn down the difficulty for the hard parts is. But it seems pretty pertinent to the claim you beat both the prologue and first chapter on hard in eight deaths.

You know you make the claim. Various people call it out as being silly. You then say 95% of it was on "hard". Ya dig?

Zeliard

HeadlessRoland said:
Im not sure what level pointing out you turn down the difficulty for the hard parts is. But it seems pretty pertinent to the claim you beat both the prologue and first chapter on hard in eight deaths.

You know you make the claim. Various people call it out as being silly. You then say 95% of it was on "hard". Ya dig?

For fuck's sake, guy.

I didn't make that claim. I said it wouldn't be hard to believe. The "95%" was referring to the number of my deaths so far, in that 95% of them came due to the dragon's fire killing me repeatedly in the prologue.

If you can't even read and understand a simple post, it's hard to imagine you read TW2's journal.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Does the mind control spell not work for anyone else? Whenever I tried it the enemy just kind of stood around or didn't seem to do anything. Even with the ability upgraded.

Zeliard said:
I didn't make that claim.

I thought you attempted to retract to something vaguely believable, my mistake. Yeah, reading the "log" sure does circumvent every mobs ability to nearly instantly if not instantly kill you. So 95% of 8 was during the prologue. Meaning you have died once or twice throughout the entirety of chapter 1. Thumbs up!

Does the mind control spell not work for anyone else? Whenever I tried it the enemy just kind of stood around or didn't seem to do anything. Even with the ability upgraded.

Its "channeled" and has rather pissant range.

Corky

Snuggler said:
I don't want to know the specifics, but are your complaints related to gameplay or story?

both, but mainly narrative/story ( or the atrocity one can call story with regards to that part )

Hawk269

Corky said:
what....

WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?

You already beat the game corky? Damn that is some hardcore gaming man. How many hours do you think it took to beat the game? Did you even sleep?

Darklord

Banned
Corky said:
what....

WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Man, that sounds bad. :(

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Hawk269 said:
You already beat the game corky? Damn that is some hardcore gaming man. How many hours do you think it took to beat the game? Did you even sleep?
The game isn't really that long. I did it in around 18 hours.

Zeliard

HeadlessRoland said:
I thought you attempted to retract to something vaguely believable, my mistake. Yeah, reading the "log" sure does circumvent every mobs ability to nearly instantly if not instantly kill you. So 95% of 8 was during the prologue. Meaning you have died once or twice throughout the entirety of chapter 1. Thumbs up!

No, friend, not through "the entirety of chapter 1." Some quests in but still a way to go, I imagine. I've been handling the Nekkers and Endregas and Scoia'tael and such without much of an issue so far. I heard the Kayran can be tough. Perhaps I'll die there several times, in which case I'll update you and you can start feeling good about yourself again. :>

It's difficult to see what you're so annoyed about. Are you a super gaming ninja who never legitimately dies? And who cares? People perhaps died less than you, big whoop. There are probably many who'll die more on Hard. It's irrelevant, and I guarantee you it happens with every game.

Dance In My Blood said:

You gotta charge that sumbitch up. Takes a couple seconds.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Chapter 1

Is it possible to fight the
Krayken without Sile? I got the ostmurk. I went to the area to the shipwreck area.

Corky

Hawk269 said:

haha yeah I got busy , no school and all that. I think I ended around between 20-25h with 95% of all sidequests done. I still havent recovered, gotta sleep and tell myself the last hour or two of the game was just a nightmare

jett

D-Member
I've only played the game a little bit...since it borders on unplayable on my crapmachine. I have a question though. I couldn't kill random NPCs...was that removed from W1 or is it just the tutorial area that prevents that kind of thing?

Exuro

Corky said:
haha yeah I got busy , no school and all that. I think I ended around between 20-25h with 95% of all sidequests done. I still havent recovered, gotta sleep and tell myself the last hour or two of the game was just a nightmare
I'm hoping that replaying it and making some different choices will help relieve the ending. Chapter 2 is suppose to be pretty different. Bah that ending, wtf.

Zeliard

jett said:
I've only played the game a little bit...since it borders on unplayable on my crapmachine. I have a question though. I couldn't kill random NPCs...was that removed from W1 or is it just the tutorial area that prevents that kind of thing?

You can't, outside of guards. Which sort of becomes dumb when you see town NPCs cowering away when you take a weapon out.

Hawk269

Corky said:

So that 40 hours gameplay that developers were stating was just bullshit huh? That kind of sucks. I know they were saying around 40 hours just for the main story line and much longer doing the sidequests. 20-25h is rather short for an RPG...a little disapointed in that.

Varna

jett said:

You couldn't really kill any random NPC in the first game either. Only at night and only generic npcs that didn't really do anything. Far as I can tell you can't kill anyone but guards in The Witcher 2.

Sad to hear the ending sequence isn't all that great. It's the journey, not the destination, etc. But damn, why do some games have to just fuck up the ending?

I'm still in chapter 1 myself. Taking my time to explore everything. Side quest are so awesome in this game. Have yet to do one generic fetch quest. Forest is beautiful and actually feels like a forest!

Exuro

Hawk269 said:
So that 40 hours gameplay that developers were stating was just bullshit huh? That kind of sucks. I know they were saying around 40 hours just for the main story line and much longer doing the sidequests. 20-25h is rather short for an RPG...a little disapointed in that.
Complete BS. I did "most" of the sidequests and listened to everyone I could as well as just kill stuff for fun and finished in 28 hours. I could see someone playing for 40 hours but that would be doing everything there is possible and then some.

sflufan

Banned
Hawk269 said:

Actually, based on the decisions you make, the main storyline branches in such a way that there are entire quest lines that are closed off based on those decisions. So, you could say that you would get 40 hours of different quests from the main storyline if you explore all the branching options on multiple playthroughs.

Dance In My Blood said:

Works fine for me. You have to hold the key/button down for a couple of seconds for it to kick in.

If your the type of gamer that plays a game based off "objectives" then yea it probably won't last more than that.

For me however with this game at least, I'm at 10 hours and only a couple of quests in on Chapter 1.

Just wandering around, studying how the game works, soaking it in etc.

Probably won't be a game like this for a good while.

The soundtrack is great.

Damn, that sucks to hear about the ending like that. Maybe it's like the Dark Tower series ending - an either love it or hate it kind of thing.

Zeliard

Heh I spend enough time just staring at things and soaking in the world that I imagine my playing time when all is said and done will be closer to 40 hours.

I don't tend to put any stock in completion times, especially for RPGs. They can vary wildly among different people.

sflufan said:
Actually, based on the decisions you make, the main storyline branches in such a way that there are entire quest lines that are closed off based on those decisions. So, you could say that you would get 40 hours of different quests from the main storyline if you explore all the branching options.

Since it looks like quests can start differing quite a bit after Chapter 2 starts, those of you who have finished should compare notes. :p Could be that some of you did quests others could never even access.

Chiggs

Gold Member
sflufan said:
You do know what "niggardly" means, right? ;)

Absolutely. I was trying to say that they shouldn't have to fear repercussions because the word sounds like something else.

Wes

venison crêpe
Corky said:

Pretty much my feelings too but I didn't want to be the first to say it. Chapter 3 really is horrific in terms of what it offers compared to the others.

antonz

Zeliard said:
Heh I spend enough time just staring at things and soaking in the world that I imagine my playing time when all is said and done will be closer to 40 hours.

I don't tend to put any stock in completion times, especially for RPGs. They can vary wildly among different people.

Since it looks like quests can start differing quite a bit after Chapter 2 starts, those of you who have finished should compare notes. :p Could be that some of you did quests others could never even access.
Oh choices change the game alot. Started my 2nd playthrough and the Prologue changed quite a bit alone based on a different save file used. I still have not encountered the game in the way it was demoed yet.

Exuro

DarkChronic said:
Damn, that sucks to hear about the ending like that. Maybe it's like the Dark Tower series ending - an either love it or hate it kind of thing.
It's not really a love it hate it ending. It's hard to explain without explaining it. Just don't expect a lot from Ch3/Epilogue.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
yay, we got name dropped in the official site's news section

these comments on ch. 3 and the epilogue are very disheartening, it will have to be a quality drop of epic proportions for me to feel the same way :(

Wes said:
Pretty much my feelings too but I didn't want to be the first to say it. Chapter 3 really is horrific in terms of what it offers compared to the others.

All the more reason to take it really really slowly in Chapter 1 I guess.

Zeliard

Exuro said:
It's not really a love it hate it ending. It's hard to explain without explaining it. Just don't expect a lot from Ch3/Epilogue.

Is it that it's a cliffhanger or something that doesn't really wrap things up, or that it just isn't well-done in general? Avoiding spoilers if you can :p

~Kinggi~

Banned
No-go on the fucking witcher 2 install. After extracting with power iso last night, trying to install them from the isos caused multiple crc errors as well as dropping my system ram to 5 megs and forcing me to do a fucking system restore to fix a bunch of weird shit that corrupted my stuff.

Worst retail release ive ever encountered.

iNvid02

~Kinggi~ said:
No-go on the fucking witcher 2 install. After extracting with power iso last night, trying to install them from the isos caused multiple crc errors as well as dropping my system ram to 5 megs and forcing me to do a fucking system restore to fix a bunch of weird shit that corrupted my stuff.

Worst retail release ive ever encountered.

download a torrent version and use your key, problem solved

Hawk269

Do you all think that the publisher said 'you fuckers need to finish it now' just to hit the release date? To me, it seems like they poured their soul into the game and to hear what I am hearing sounds odd. Why put so much goodness and then let is crash in teh final part of the game?

Or is this a case were DLC raises it's ugly head and a Chapter 4 is inbound?

Also, I read the PC Gamer review and what sounds instersting is that they say based on decisions, chpater 2 can start in a completely different town. Is that correct?

I did see a pre-launch video with the devs stating that depending on how you play and your decisions, there will be areas that in the game that you will never see based on your choices and they seemed to imply it was more than just one occurance.

Corky, you need to replay and make complete different choices to see what happens.

sflufan

Banned
Hawk269 said:
Do you all think that the publisher said 'you fuckers need to finish it now' just to hit the release date? To me, it seems like they poured their soul into the game and to hear what I am hearing sounds odd. Why put so much goodness and then let is crash in teh final part of the game?

Or is this a case were DLC raises it's ugly head and a Chapter 4 is inbound?

Also, I read the PC Gamer review and what sounds instersting is that they say based on decisions, chpater 2 can start in a completely different town. Is that correct?

I did see a pre-launch video with the devs stating that depending on how you play and your decisions, there will be areas that in the game that you will never see based on your choices and they seemed to imply it was more than just one occurance.

Corky, you need to replay and make complete different choices to see what happens.

Yes, you can have completely different quest lines in 2 based on the decisions that you make.

In regard to the development process, it's entirely possible that the end of the game was created first which might account for its "roughness" relative to the rest!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom