• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exuro

HixxSAFC said:
Heh, was talking to Roche after the blatant pervert caught up with us in the bath house and when I went to finish the conversation I got ported into the middle of a river, completely stuck. Nice.
I had that happen. Reload your previous save and it should fix it.

I just started a new game, got to flotsam and talents aren't working...

Pankaks said:
One of the bandits in Floatsam yells out:

"Death to shit-eaters!"

I got a good laugh out of that one.
There's a lot of random conversations between NPCs that I heard while passing through a street or doing something at an inn that made blurt out a laugh.

The rhyming soap box nutter near the inn in Chapter 3 is quite good too.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Does the game have a new game + plus mode? I'm just wondering if I can start a second game with my current levels.

Hixx

Exuro said:
I had that happen. Reload your previous save and it should fix it.

I just started a new game, got to flotsam and talents aren't working...

Yeah I reloaded and just didn't talk to him this time. Think I'm done for the night anyway.

~Kinggi~

Banned
gdt5016 said:
How did you get around the installation (from disc) problem? I got the same thing now :/. I sent off an email last night, but no response yet.
They gave me a gog.com version after i said i would settle for that.

gdt

~Kinggi~ said:
They gave me a gog.com version after i said i would settle for that.

Searched back a couple of pages, and just sent off an email to them. Didn't say I would take a GOG version though, I'll mention it if/when they respond.

burgerdog said:
With flickering heart quest help.
How do I get proof or accuse eleyas in iorveths presence?
it's easy:

You have to buy two things from the student sorceress in the market, surgical tools and a book on autopsies (you have to "read" the book) then in the catacombs where you find the Dunn Banner you'll notice a lot wrapped bodies, the cloths they are wrapped in are all the same except for one in the room that furthest from the entrance that looks like it has a clean sheet, examine it and go through all of the options. You'll find a chunk of metal in one of the wounds. That's the proof you hand over to Ivoreth.

DieH@rd said:
That was great.
I lost it because I said shut the fuck up out loud as I was dodging for my life and the tone that the voice actor delivered the line with perfectly mirrored my agitation.

In Chapter 2 I'm quite a bit head and still can't o change the day and night cycle and it's always day. It says something like you can't do that now

Infact on the Blood Curse mission, I got stuck and had to reload because
I opted to visit Sabrina's Shrine at dusk and couldn't change the cycle. I ended up bribing the visionary to move the story forward.

Anyone else have this issue?

Exuro

Has anyone came across a bug that doesn't let you get new talents? I was going through a new playthrough and after getting in flotsam finally tryied to put some talents in but nothing was registering. I restarted the prologue, got to level 2 and STILL cannot get a talent to register...

Van Buren

Exuro said:
Has anyone came across a bug that doesn't let you get new talents? I was going through a new playthrough and after getting in flotsam finally tryied to put some talents in but nothing was registering. I restarted the prologue, got to level 2 and STILL cannot get a talent to register...

Do you mean you are not awarded any talents at all (based on your first question), or that you are unable to allocate the talents while meditating ?

Exuro

Van Buren said:
Do you mean you are not awarded any talents at all (based on your first question), or that you are unable to allocate the talents while meditating ?
The latter, but I restarted the game/launcher and its working now.

Exuro said:
Try allocating them though the character screen from the menu instead of through meditation?

MickeyKnox said:
Try allocating them though the character screen from the menu instead of through meditation?

The opposite, he needs to do it through meditation, instead of through Character Screen. That's because first points have to be added this way, it's part of the tutorial.

Zeliard

Mohonky said:
I think I've officially given up on 'Normal' difficulty. The combat just seems to clunky for it to work. Found myself in a battle with 6 elves, all of whom blocked attacks. I could easily dodge them but I never had a chance to attack, when I did, I got carved up. Parrying was useless as I would run out of vigor from the first two attacks then just get stabbed in the back by another enemy. So I couldn't block, all I could do was roll around, then when I tried to attack, another enemy would start their attack and I'd end up in the same situation.

Combat works fine when it's one or two larger enemies but any more than 2 and I just never feel like I'm equipped with any real abilities to deal with them. Avoiding them is never a problem with Quen, roll etc but there's simply no way of getting in any attacks without being immediately pummelled as a result.

Throw some bombs people, jesus. If you're in combat against 6 elves who parry why are you trying to take them out in melee, and why do you expect that to be so easily successful? Throw a rage bomb and have them all attack each other.

I'm playing on Hard and combat is more than managable if you actually use the tools at your disposal. I bet some of you tried to attack the Queens head on as well. Use tactics. Use strategy.

Zeliard said:
Throw some bombs people, jesus. If you're in combat against 6 elves who parry why are you trying to take them out in melee, and why do you expect that to be so easily successful? Throw a rage bomb and have them all attack each other.

I'm playing on Hard and combat is more than managable if you actually use the tools at your disposal. I bet some of you tried to attack the Queens head on as well. Use tactics. Use strategy.

I just met bounty hunters - my ass on Hard was saved by bombs, after I managed to set 4 of them on fire.

Put +2 into Sign Intensity - Quen went from 1:30 to 2:59. That's hell of a lot of blows to absorb :D

Zeliard said:

I really liked both Dragon Age and Batman, but I think those games really spoiled people on the idea that they can just keep slamming attack buttons and kill everything. A lot of people seem to think that if the game demands strategy then it must be "clunky" or the controls must be wrong.

The combat is great and fluid (if you use the lock on feature and use rolls), but it isn't going to save your ass if you are surrounded by four enemies. You need to get the hell out of the circle of pain before you can successfully counter.

I'm not trying to be an elitist. Actually Demon Souls was too much for me. But this game is no Demon Souls. You can save anywhere at any time, for one. And all you have to do is use the stuff you are given rather than just trying to hack and slash your way out of every scenario. The combat is fluid, but it isn't on auto-pilot like it is in Assasins' Creed or Batman. It borrows the lock on system from those games, but it still demands strategy to employ it properly.

Anyone who watches videos of other people playing will see that the combat can be very fluid and dynamic, but it isn't like Batman or Assassin's Creed in the sense that, in those games, you can literally just press different directions and hit "A" and look like a badass. Here you have to work for it.

Zeliard

Castor Krieg said:
I just met bounty hunters - my ass on Hard was saved by bombs, after I managed to set 4 of them on fire.

Bombs are absurdly useful in this game and it seems people are just ignoring them altogether, as well as traps. You can have an entire large group of enemies practically wipe each other out with just one or two Red Haze bombs, and even if they don't, they become distracted and you can jump in there and pick them off. Red Haze bombs function basically like Group Axii as far as the effect, so as you can imagine, they can be nice to use.

The game doesn't expect you to be sticking to only swordplay and signs, especially on higher difficulties. The Alchemy tree is, after all, just as big as the other two, and the combat puts just as much focus on that aspect.

Also, hold on R to go into slow-mo bomb aiming (same slow-mo you go into when bringing up the CTRL menu). It's nice.

From A Bygone Era (Chapter 3) spoilers...
The Operator's Staff you get at the end if you decide not to respec is sooo awesome. Makes Geralt into an unstoppable whirlwind of fire and ice, against all enemies (so far). Cast Quen and you've got lightning in the mix as well.
sogood.gif

Tokubetsu

Revolutionary said:
From A Bygone Era (Chapter 3) spoilers...
The Advisor's Staff you get at the end if you decide not to respec is sooo awesome. Makes Geralt into an unstoppable whirlwind of fire and ice, against all enemies (so far). Cast Quen and you've got lightning in the mix as well.
sogood.gif

Wait, what?

Still patiently
EAGERLY
awaiting the patch that is supposed to drop soon to fix the DLC download infinite loop, and the fullscreen amd glitch.

Zeliard

EternalGamer said:
I really liked both Dragon Age and Batman, but I think those games really spoiled people on the idea that they can just keep slamming attack buttons and kill everything. A lot of people seem to think that if the game demands strategy then it must be "clunky" or the controls must be wrong.

The combat is great and fluid (if you use the lock on feature and use rolls), but it isn't going to save your ass if you are surrounded by four enemies. You need to get the hell out of the circle of pain before you can successfully counter.

I'm not trying to be an elitist. Actually Demon Souls was too much for me. But this game is no Demon Souls. You can save anywhere at any time, for one. And all you have to do is use the stuff you are given rather than just trying to hack and slash your way out of every scenario. The combat is fluid, but it isn't on auto-pilot like it is in Assasins' Creed or Batman. It borrows the lock on system from those games, but it still demands strategy to employ it properly.

It doesn't have the precision of a Demon's Souls but I find you need about the same amount of tactical awareness, and they share the basic general philosophy of both player and enemies doing high damage but having low defense, which keeps you on your toes.

You have to be wary of what each enemy is doing on the battlefield as well as get a sense of their attack patterns. Since rolling has no or few invincibility frames in TW2, you have to time your roles more carefully and be much more mindful of enemy swings. This is when the rolling distance upgrades become hugely significant.

Draft

I think the combat is definitely more Demon's Souls than Batman, but not as good as either.

Is there a trick to finding the Nekker nests in Chapter 1, or do I just keep running around like a jerk hoping to stumble upon them?

Echoplx

scorpscarx said:
Still patiently
EAGERLY
awaiting the patch that is supposed to drop soon to fix the DLC download infinite loop, and the fullscreen amd glitch.

Here's something that may help, go to My Documents/Witcher 2/Downloads and manually delete the file 'troll.dlc' then download this and place it there.

raphier

Banned
Guys, you won't ploughing believe who I just saw

witcher2.jpg

Is that who I think it is?
Can't be a coincidence, or can it?

Alvin.jpg

Salaadin

Varna said:
Anyone else having issues crafting the Robust Kaedweni Sword? Every time I craft it I get a robust short sword... :(

Are the stats on both swords identical?
I noticed one item with a naming issue. I needed Robust Cloth and couldnt find the recipe until I checked the NPC with the "Solid Cloth" recipe. Turns out Solid Cloth = Robust Cloth. The giant name on the recipe said "Solid" but the scrolling description that lists the ingredients said "Robust".

Might want to check if that recipe has the same issue. It might be the same sword, just named differently after you craft it.

Tokubetsu said:
Wait, what?
The quest From A Bygone Era - it starts in Chapter 2 and finishes in 3.

If you're asking what I mean by the description, then
the staff is 40-60 damage, and has +80% Incineration, 10% Freeze, and 2% Stun. Oh, and it's Operator's Staff. Not Advisor's. My bad.

Zeliard

Draft said:
I think the combat is definitely more Demon's Souls than Batman, but not as good as either.

Is there a trick to finding the Nekker nests in Chapter 1, or do I just keep running around like a jerk hoping to stumble upon them?

You gotta explore, son. :>

They're in the outskirts of town, where you also find the Queen eggs. Game won't always point you in the exact direction, which is refreshing.

knitoe

Varna said:
Anyone else having issues crafting the Robust Kaedweni Sword? Every time I craft it I get a robust short sword... :(
I had the same problem. Seems like a bug.
Salaadin said:
Are the stats on both swords identical?
I noticed one item with a naming issue. I needed Robust Cloth and couldnt find the recipe until I checked the NPC with the "Solid Cloth" recipe. Turns out Solid Cloth = Robust Cloth. The giant name on the recipe said "Solid" but the scrolling description that lists the ingredients said "Robust".

Might want to check if that recipe has the same issue. It might be the same sword, just named differently after you craft it.
Stats are different.

so how do they keep the sword combat from getting boring? Do you get combos eg light-light-heavy does different heavy attack than light-heavy?

Lime

raphier said:
Guys, you won't ploughing believe who I just saw

http://koti.welho.com/raphier/witcher2.jpg[IMG]
Is that who I think it is?
Can't be a coincidence, or can it?

[IMG]http://koti.welho.com/raphier/Alvin.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Time travel. But yeah, I noticed it too.

Zeliard

Yeah google is saying there's a bug with crafting the Robust Kaedweni Sword. Hope that's one of the fixes in the upcoming patch.

Exuro

I'm pretty sure its also a bug, but on Roches side near the end of chapter 2 theres a dwarf you need to play poker at for an item. Afterwards he says he'll play you more for some random stuff, but one of the items, a xena referenced sword, doesn't show up in my pack while the other reward, a cloak, does. Not sure if that was just a joke but it appeared to be a reward that I didn't receive.

Castor Krieg said:
I got a rusty sword, I assumed he was exaggerating.
Hmm I didn't receive anything.

EDIT: heh while in flotsam a guard walked near me and said "When De Aldersberg was around those were the good old days."

Echoplx

I really hope they fix the high resolution bug, I have to drop my desktop res from 2560x1440 to 1920x1440 just to launch the game, in game resolution is fine though.

NeededSleep

God i love CDProjekt. The support they offered me was impressive.

I ordered the Collectors edition through amazon, got it Friday night. Opened it up and tried to install and ran into some installation problems. each time the game would stop installation at: The Witcher 2\CookedPC\pack0.dzip
The error code it gives is: Feature transfer error D:\data2.cab CRC error

After checking their site and trying another computer and manually with no luck, i contacted their support through their site. Within an hour i got a response. that alone i was psyched about. After 2 emails they offered me a version of the premium version on gog.com at no cost.

I usually use steam for digital game downloads, and this is my first game on GoG.com, but im really looking forward to finally getting into the game.

But seriously this is the best customer service I have ever had with a game company. EVER.

<3 cdprojeckt

Exuro said:
I'm pretty sure its also a bug, but on Roches side near the end of chapter 2 theres a dwarf you need to play poker at for an item. Afterwards he says he'll play you more for some random stuff, but one of the items, a xena referenced sword, doesn't show up in my pack while the other reward, a cloak, does. Not sure if that was just a joke but it appeared to be a reward that I didn't receive.

I got a rusty sword, I assumed he was exaggerating.

NeededSleep said:
God i love CDProjekt. The support they offered me was impressive.

I ordered the Collectors edition through amazon, got it Friday night. Opened it up and tried to install and ran into some installation problems. each time the game would stop installation at: The Witcher 2\CookedPC\pack0.dzip
The error code it gives is: Feature transfer error D:\data2.cab CRC error

After checking their site and trying another computer and manually with no luck, i contacted their support through their site. Within an hour i got a response. that alone i was psyched about. After 2 emails they offered me a version of the premium version on gog.com at no cost.

I usually use steam for digital game downloads, and this is my first game on GoG.com, but im really looking forward to finally getting into the game.

But seriously this is the best customer service I have ever had with a game company. EVER.

<3 cdprojeckt

OK what is the trick here? I never heard back from them and I had a CE problem the day of release

Darklord

Banned
NeededSleep said:

<3 cdprojeckt

I sent them an e-mail 3 days ago and still have heard nothing. :(

I've already missed the DLC in the game and can't use my pre-order dlc code because I can't register my fucking game.

gdt

I haven't heard from them either. I would love to get a GOG version.

(Just have the standard or premium or whatever)

Darklord said:
I sent them an e-mail 3 days ago and still have heard nothing. :(

I've already missed the DLC in the game and can't use my pre-order dlc code because I can't register my fucking game.

Same here

Their support is TERRIBLE, $130 dead weight.

Due to their incompetence I already bought the gog.com version with my own money.

And the game is unplayable for me right now on my i7, 460M notebook as framerate becomes terrible most notably indoors. I am hoping for the patch to fix this, as the game SOUNDS great.

Riposte

Draft said:

This game's combat is several leagues above Batman and I'd say rivals Demon's Souls(though it isn't an easy answer given how different they play). Batman sort of played itself and almost all of your tools were pointless. Same could be said of Assassin's Creed. TW2 is deeper, more difficult, and has fewer superfluous abilities.

EDIT: Really the only the thing I can say against it is that it seemingly holds some of the old Witcher's weird "get hit even if you dodge out of the way" mechanic. Also sometimes attacking animations can feel random(though I felt the same with Batman).

So for you people that rolled a 6 and got a response back from support (and a free gog.com version)

Do they gift you a new copy and key or do they then count your CE key as activated?

I spent $180 on this for CE + gog.com version when I couldnt install CE. It would be a final insult if they "gave me" a gog.com version, I then gifted to a friend, and found down the road that my CE key became unusable.

NeededSleep

cleveridea said:
OK what is the trick here? I never heard back from them and I had a CE problem the day of release

I contacted them through their site email they offered in the help section. help2start@thewitcher.c om

Is that the one you used? I mentioned in my first email the various ways ive tried to install, and asked if they could provide a direct download to the game instead of returning since id rather not wait month with amazon in the return process.

Second email they asked for my dxdiag info, my activation code, and the 3rd was the offer through gog.com

Tokubetsu

Revolutionary said:
The quest From A Bygone Era - it starts in Chapter 2 and finishes in 3.

If you're asking what I mean by the description, then
the staff is 40-60 damage, and has +80% Incineration, 10% Freeze, and 2% Stun. Oh, and it's Operator's Staff. Not Advisor's. My bad.

Don't remember that quest at all. (Went with Roche).

NeededSleep said:
I contacted them through their site email they offered in the help section. help2start@thewitcher.c om

Is that the one you used? I mentioned in my first email the various ways ive tried to install, and asked if they could provide a direct download to the game instead of returning since id rather not wait month with amazon in the return process.

Second email they asked for my dxdiag info, my activation code, and the 3rd was the offer through gog.com

I think it was http://www.en.thewitcher.com/support/, I used their web site support form

did they tie your gog.com version to the same activation code as your physical copy?

I ask because thats acceptable for a regular retail edition, but not for a $130 CE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom