• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exuro

Kyaw said:
Enhanced Edition?
Would be great. I'm not sure what kind of plans CDPR has. If they could make an expansion pack that adds more quests in general and severely extends the 3rd act as well as fix bugs/design issues that would be lovely.

Salaadin

Exuro said:
The game screams expansion packs. I don't want to say the game is rushed or unfinished(well the end feels like that) but there are a lot of things that could be filled. I'm replaying it with different choices and have notice a lot of doors that don't do anything in Flotsam. I could easily see them adding side quests that make buildings/doors available with a side quest giver inside. The 3rd act though seriously needs more content. The way the beginning of the game progresses is great but near the end it become too fast pace and talents and armor and weapons don't feel as important. If it were possible I'd want them to restructure the main quest line in chapter 3 and extend it a bit. It was just too short.

I keep hearing the same thing.
I didnt beat it yet but Im hoping they do expand on it nicely or give us some beefy DLC. I dont want it to end.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I think I'd prefer for DLC to add whole new areas (edit: well they could be set in the old areas just as well, the main thing I want is for them to be chosen from the main menu and be:) stand alone (possibly with your end game statistics and inventory, and being able to add all you do in the DLC to the character for the next DLC/expansion) rather than replay from the beginning (or load a save if you have one) and find those quests where they weren't be4 and move on from there with no real consequences to the main game, as just another random quest, maybe with some loot... Design issues and bugs etc should just be in updates/patches. Unless they could make the free DLC to allow you to travel to previous areas with your end game character, revisit Flotsam and the like and finish up quests there or see how they've developed since you went there last. I guess I just want it either flowing smoothly with the end of the game, or as totally separate stand alone stories. Stand alone seems better, easier and more versatile and quick to get to the point after you've already explored the areas to death in previous playthroughs and previous DLC and may not feel like doing it again just to find the new quests.

Exuro

Alextended said:
I think I'd prefer DLC adds whole new areas you can play stand alone (possibly with your end game statistics and inventory, and being able to add all you do in the DLC to it for the next DLC/expansion) rather than replay from the beginning (or load a save if you have one) and find those quests where they weren't be4 and move on from there with no real consequences to the main game, as just another random quest, maybe with some loot... Design issues and bugs etc should just be in updates/patches.
I would agree with this, but chapter 3 is so bad if they could redesign some stuff I'd want them to do that instead. I'm actually really enjoying replaying through chapter 1 with different decisions. Crazy how some choices extend/stop certain quests.

Exuro said:
Would be great. I'm not sure what kind of plans CDPR has. If they could make an expansion pack that adds more quests in general and severely extends the 3rd act as well as fix bugs/design issues that would be lovely.

an enhanced edition that id want to see is an Expansion that focuses on what happens after the ending.. 16 hours play through and many added side quests for the Witcher 2 along with bug fixes and DX11 support

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Exuro said:
The game screams expansion packs. I don't want to say the game is rushed or unfinished(well the end feels like that) but there are a lot of things that could be filled. I'm replaying it with different choices and have notice a lot of doors that don't do anything in Flotsam. I could easily see them adding side quests that make buildings/doors available with a side quest giver inside. The 3rd act though seriously needs more content. The way the beginning of the game progresses is great but near the end it become too fast pace and talents and armor and weapons don't feel as important. If it were possible I'd want them to restructure the main quest line in chapter 3 and extend it a bit. It was just too short.

Agreed. They have a solid engine, they should make more content. They give you a lot for $45 at release, so I'm okay with a 3rd game coming out within a year.

But yeah, chapter 3 is damn short. Really the game is 2 chapters or 3 if you include the prologue.

People talk about side quests. Sure, but I generally skipped those in the first game and it was still way longer.

Exuro

So my dream idea would be an expansion pack ala Tales of the Sword Coast. Basically it would be The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition but with a lot more content. Add some optional areas during/inbetween acts, fix any design flaws/bugs, add more sidequests to original acts, make chapter 3 not suck and give it a better ending. I'm not saying change it, but give a
"This is what we're going to do." speech and not Geralt staring at the camp and walking off.
Restructure leveling and have new weapons and such. A new boss or two in the optional areas would be cool. Have quests in these areas that expand more on the core story(but still remain optional.) A new act or set of quests to better bridge TW2 to TW3 would be great as well. The pacing is so bad that getting better armor/talents/weapons become useless.

Also, while the prologue is great it's a terrible tutorial for magic/alchemy. If it weren't for me knowing the signs from the first i'd be compeltely lost. There should be a quick training quests where a guy or even triss asks you to use your abilities so you get used to them. In Flotsam there should be a quest to hunt Endrega using traps. Really feel that the tutorial could be expanded on and that alchemy/signs weren't introduced very well. I could probably go on for hours about improvements though. I'll stop talking now.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Easy_D said:
Odd, there's nothing there. I picked 2 sidequests up at the noticeboard too. Do I have to advance in the story to unlock them or did I suffer a terrible bug? :(
Anyone? I fear for my life! I want to be able to do Notice-board sidequests.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Snuggler said:
Notice board quests are supposed to be listed in your journal.
Yeah something must be wrong then, there's nothing in my inventory or the Journal.
I'll try revisiting the notice board and see if they didn't register for some reason :S

Edit: Yeah it was a bug, it didn't register the first 3 quests, the two remaining ones did register though, guess I'll have to load an earlier save and try again :)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Quick Chapter 2 question.

I've cleared 3 of the 7 harpy nests, but I haven't cleared the mist yet. Can this quest only be completed once the mist has been cleared?

Hawk269

Steam Edition Question:

My friend bought the CE Edition from Amazon and his friend gave him the DLC code from the Besy Buy. For some reason, he now wants the Steam version as well. He plans to play the game on his laptop when he travels and the other one on his home PC.

If he gets the Steam version can he also apply his 2 DLC Codes that he already used from his CE Edition?

Jenga

Banned
ENDGAME SPOILER DISCUSSION:

So did you kill or leave Letho alone? I left him. I chased him to clear Geralt's name and bring him to justice, and Geralt's name was cleared without any intervention anyways. Though he endangered Triss, he saved her, and he backed Geralt up way back when with the Wild Hunt, and cared over Yennefer. technically Yennefer is responsible for him being mixed with Nilffgaard anyways. He said it right, he never was Geralt's true enemy. The real enemies (Nilffgaard, sorcerers, and whoever else) were exposed and the Witcher 3 has to do with dealing with them anyways. If Iorveth and Roche wanted his ass, they'd have to get him themselves. What ultimately convinced me was the vodka. For a bit I was actually expecting poison, but he was honest. So I spared him. As for the murder of Foltest, I actually liked the king. But in the end Geralt was just his witcher, not his sworn guardsmen or what have you.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Hawk269 said:
Steam Edition Question:

My friend bought the CE Edition from Amazon and his friend gave him the DLC code from the Besy Buy. For some reason, he now wants the Steam version as well. He plans to play the game on his laptop when he travels and the other one on his home PC.

If he gets the Steam version can he also apply his 2 DLC Codes that he already used from his CE Edition?
Why doesn't he install the CE on his laptop? SecurROM allows infinite installs and 5 active at the same time.

Jenga said:
ENDGAME SPOILER DISCUSSION:

There's a thread for this.

Coldsnap

Why is it so hard to loot stuff in this game (playing with controller)? It's one of my few gripes with the game, I'm standing directly above the damn thing let me loot it!

thetrin

Coldsnap said:
Why is it so hard to loot stuff in this game (playing with controller)? It's one of my few gripes with the game, I'm standing directly above the damn thing let me loot it!
That's because the game's looting context requires that you're in front or besides it, not on top of it.

Jenga

Banned
thetrin said:
Why doesn't he install the CE on his laptop? SecurROM allows infinite installs and 5 active at the same time.

oh. didn't notice it what with the 5 posts

Hawk269

mercenar1e said:
[/B]

an enhanced edition that id want to see is an Expansion that focuses on what happens after the ending.. 16 hours play through and many added side quests for the Witcher 2 along with bug fixes and DX11 support

Can you imagine what the game would look like with DX11 support? Even worse, the massacre of people complaining that they are getting 15fps on high settings with DX11 and still get drops to 5 or so in heavy populated areas.

I think they went with DX9 cause of the custom engine, cause in some areas it looks like they are using tesselation.

As far as add-on's, personally I think DLC (FREE) should add 10 hours to the game 2.5 hours per DLC, perhaps accross 4 DLC packs. A paid expansion would be something like a whole new chapter or they could just re-do Chapter 3 add more side quests into Chapt. 1 & 2etc.

I have not beat the game, not even close so I cant speak to how long it is. But reading here and otehr places, outside of some of the tech issues, the biggest thing I have read has been that the game needs to be longer and Chapter 3 was really not even a chapter. I think this is something they could add to the game easily with DLC and like I said maybe 1 really big paid DLC pack.

thetrin

Jenga said:
oh. didn't notice it what with the 5 posts
Well, the game did JUST come out. You're probably going to get more traction with whatever you were talking about in that thread, regardless.

Jenga

Banned
I'm thinking the DLC will work like the extra mod adventures from enhanced edition. Another little side menu that lets you access them. I'm curious whether or not it'll be self-contained, or help modify the end save for Witcher 3.

Hawk269

thetrin said:

He is a Steam whore and wants the achievements and he has about 20 friends also playing the game and I guess they compare achievements, playtime etc. I don't know, I am just asking the question. The guy is crazy and once he has it in his head that a version offers just a little something more, he wants it.

Exuro

Jenga said:
I'm thinking the DLC will work like the extra mod adventures from enhanced edition. Another little side menu that lets you access them. I'm curious whether or not it'll be self-contained, or help modify the end save for Witcher 3.
I initially thought this as well but the Troll DLC works well in game, so I don't see why they don't add more quests in game as mod adventures make said dlc feel irrelevant for the most part.

thetrin

Hawk269 said:
I have not beat the game, not even close so I cant speak to how long it is. But reading here and otehr places, outside of some of the tech issues, the biggest thing I have read has been that the game needs to be longer and Chapter 3 was really not even a chapter. I think this is something they could add to the game easily with DLC and like I said maybe 1 really big paid DLC pack.
Well, I think the issue is that many games are measured in length by how long a single playthrough takes, rather than how much content is actually there. Witcher 2 will benefit from repeat playthroughs, as you get completely different quest hubs and story branches depending on who you trust and help. They could have done away with REAL moral choices and put all of the quest hubs in a row, but I think that takes away a lot of the impact the game prides itself on.

Jenga

Banned
Exuro said:
I initially thought this as well but the Troll DLC works well in game, so I don't see why they don't add more quests in game as mod adventures make said dlc feel irrelevant for the most part.
because if they add in dlc in whatever specific chapter i'll have to either replay or reload to get to that point just to play it

Exuro

thetrin said:
Well, I think the issue is that many games are measured in length by how long a single playthrough takes, rather than how much content is actually there. Witcher 2 will benefit from repeat playthroughs, as you get completely different quest hubs and story branches depending on who you trust and help. They could have done away with REAL moral choices and put all of the quest hubs in a row, but I think that takes away a lot of the impact the game prides itself on.
I don't mind the length at all. My problem is the pacing at the end. The Prologue is longer than or nearly the same length as chapter 3. If the game was structured as Prologue, Chapter 1, Chapter 2 and Epilogue I wouldn't had felt so bad. Calling Chapter 3 a chapter made me feel that I was in for at least another 10+ hours like the earlier two chapters.

Jenga said:
because if they add in dlc in whatever specific chapter i'll have to either replay or reload to get to that point just to play it
What's wrong with replaying the game? I understand the concern but mod adventure type dlc seems like such a waste. It would be hard to fit into the core game lore wise and they would have to make a new region unless it's just copy pasta terrain, but then it might as well be part of the game. I just don't like the idea myself.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
thetrin said:
The point of choices in something story driven like this is to shape the story how you want to shape it and make it your own. If it was all about 100% it then they might as well make it one longer linear story that takes you through roughly all the quests in slightly different context and design (since the different quests can be contradicting when done with choices) or with some of them as side quests that you can choose to do regardless of your choices. Granted if you really really love the game you'll want more of it and go back and replay it anyway before a sequel or expansion is out but yeah, that doesn't really fix pacing issues and what not either.

Hawk269

thetrin said:

From what I am reading, that is one of the things alot of people dont understand. There is alot of content, but depending on your choices, many people regardless of choice on the 1st playthrough will miss alot of the content becuase of those choices. I think if they laid out all the content it would equal or surpass almost any RPG out there.

Now, universally Chapter 3 regardles of choice from what I am reading is short and rushed. So if anything, it would great if they could fix the pacing etc. in that chapter to give the game a more rewarding final chapter/longer chapter etc.

In the months to come, I am sure more stuff like the Troll DLC will be coming and perhaps a little more in-depth/longer.

Since I am new to PC gameing (console gamer for the last 30 years or so), what would you guys that are use to PC gaming consider a value for paid content? Would something have to be at least 10 hours in gameplay (real 10 hours) to justify paying for it?

Bout to smash this game up for a good 10 hours... haven't played since Wednesday and I'm GIDDY with excitement.

Should finish Chapter 1 and move onto Chapter 2 today, have some big choices to make now today and that's going to be rather exciting but also scary!

Wish me luck ladies and gents!

toasty_T said:
Is there a way to find the ingredients to remove the tattoo in or around Vergen?

Didn't you tell me a few pages back that it could only be done in Chapter 1?

ColonialRaptor said:
Didn't you tell me a few pages back that it could only be done in Chapter 1?

Yes and I didn't but then I found out that the ingredients can be had at a location I can not access due to the path I went down. That gave me hope that there might be a way to find them where I am hence my question.

It's most easily done in chapter one as you can actually find the ingredients. In chapter two your only option is to buy them

Coldsnap

Question about Kayran:
I got the iron frame for a trap? during the mission where you sneak behind the barracks. What am i suppose to do with it? There's no quest for it in the journal

I wouldn't say no to more witchers work in dlc. Monster slaying, peasant chick titty banging and stumbling home drunk on the winnings from dice poker.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Coldsnap said:
Question about Kayran:
I got the iron frame for a trap? during the mission where you sneak behind the barracks. What am i suppose to do with it? There's no quest for it in the journal

You are going to need to craft an item with it

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I NEED SCISSORS said:
You need to come to the UK then.

Over time us nerds will be speaking some mutilated UK/American English accent due to constant bombardment of the accent (sometimes fake, sometimes not) from video games, Game of Thrones/HBO dramas, and Netflix streaming.

Ugh, found the non-locked sewers. I wish games wouldn't train you to overlook what needs to be done. If you throw a ton of doors at me, all clones of one-another, and lock them all but a few, don't secret a quest behind one because theres a good chance that I've learned to quit trying to open them because they're "all" locked. Grumble.

Exuro

DSN2K said:
how do you beat
Letho lol

I barely make scratch on him, dead so quickly.
I aard spammed him and did two strong hits between each, ran around until my vigor went back up, repeat.

Erudite

DSN2K said:
how do you beat
Letho lol

I barely make scratch on him, dead so quickly.
I kept refreshing Quen on myself until his Quen wore off, then proceeded to use the trap (Aryan?) spell on him. Once he was trapped and defenseless, I kept spamming the strong attack button. Rinse and repeat, doesn't take very long.

Coldsnap

Krayen fight:
Thought getting the potion and the trap would help but after chopping off all the tentacles, I just get pelted with rocks too death because Im standing around like an idiot unsure of what to do next.

Hawk269

CabbageRed said:
Ugh, found the non-locked sewers. I wish games wouldn't train you to overlook what needs to be done. If you throw a ton of doors at me, all clones of one-another, and lock them all but a few, don't secret a quest behind one because theres a good chance that I've learned to quit trying to open them because they're "all" locked. Grumble.

lol. Yeah, since I have replayed prologue a few times (some of them) while testing my rig for the best settings, there was a house in the prologue where you go into the well. Prior to that area with the well, there is a house that had a trap door. It was a cellar that had a painting and a few items and a statue. I had been in all the houses at least 2-3 times, but never saw that door on the ground.

One annoying thing is that when you use the medallion, it highlights doors that are locked and at times it highlights the bookshelves, but there is nothing to click to search. I think a neat DLC freebie would be to add another house with an underground tunnel, you fight to the end and find a chest or something that has a master key to all the doors in the town, which would open up more expoloration. Any doors that are quest related could be left unopened with a thing that says, "the key you have wont open this door". Now of course this would be for more items, which would lead to more desire to have a storage area....which to me would be another neat DLC idea. A 4-part quest that you have to search for the parts that make a special magic bag that allows an additional 100-150 in weight for more items.

just brainstorming...lol

Exuro

Coldsnap said:
Krayen fight:
Thought getting the potion and the trap would help but after chopping off all the tentacles, I just get pelted with rocks too death because Im standing around like an idiot unsure of what to do next.
Yeah I did that and died a few times until I noticed that you can walk up the bridge that fell to the left.

bengraven

I just can't play the game yet until there are a few more bug fixes. After anticipating it for months, I'm not sure why I'm having issues getting into it, but the fear of another system freeze in Flotsam (which happens every single time I play) has put a damper on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom