• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did it with alchemist with no potions, so basically naked.

Somehow I got lucky and he charged at me and left his back open. After a heavy combo (5 hits or so) he had about 20% health left. He charged me again and I did the same thing.

The whole encounter lasted about 20 seconds.

Minsc

Gold Member
burgerdog said:
According to Minsc they figured out a way to do it so we wont have to download 10gigs again.

This is the relevant link:

1 week ago said:
developer CD Projekt has already run into issues with the patch on Steam, where it's a rather sizeable download, reportedly coming in at over 9GB for some users. This issue is expected to be fixed by Monday.

I've only ever said it was supposed to be fixed, I hope! I have no idea if they delivered or not. Guess we will see soon :)

Van Buren said:
Interesting. I thought he was immune to Yrden since the two times I tried using the spell, he laughed at my face.
I've only played the game on hard. Also used the Yrden strategy and it worked. If im not mistaken i had that sign up to level 2 at that stage. You can manage to make him miss his lunge, get him from the back and squeeze a lot of hits. Now one single attack from him in the back is instant kill. At least in that playtrough because i didn't invest in back defense.
subversus said:
No arrows, fireballs and junk flying around?
Metric ton of shit flying around. He stands there and summons firesballs and arrows. Don't you there come close to the fucker during the summons cause he does this little sword swipes that pisses the living shit out of any hot blooded human being.

You know what a cool run for this game would be? A Hard difficulty run with an armorless Geralt with a rake or a broon as main weapon. Maybe withouth boots also.

Solo

I am still in awe of how amazing the game looks. Seeing smoke billow out of chimneys in Flotsam while the sun slowly sets, at 60 FPS on Ultra *drool*

Random NPC: "ya pubes white, too?" :lol

Solo said:
I am still in awe of how amazing the game looks. Seeing smoke billow out of chimneys in Flotsam while the sun slowly sets, at 60 FPS on Ultra *drool*
One other thing many of you might know but i noticed recently and found it somewhat cool. In the Catacombs, the walls that you need to knock with Aard sign collapse differently acording to where the sing hits them. Its totally physics driven and not a canned animation, really nice when compared against the first game.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The Draug fight was hard? I beat him on Normal and Hard without even barely getting hit.

He's not particularly fast, and if you have +200% range on your dodge ability, it's very easy to get behind him. I don't recall ever being hit by the arrows and fireballs.

For me, it was the fights right before him that gave me trouble on Hard. The first one in particular, where you have to face four soldiers and a mini-Draug at once, is pretty much impossible if you don't charge as soon as the scene starts and dispatch at least one or two of the normal soldiers before your cannon fodder allies die.

The second fight as Seltkirk wasn't nearly as bad, if you cheese the second batch of enemies by edging forward and pulling them one or two at a time. It's trouble if all four come.

mileS

Coldsnap said:
Wheres the hair stylist in chapter 3?

from the patch notes -

" In Flotsam, in Chapter 1 of the game, these services are available from the antique book dealer Einar Gausel. In Chapter 2, look either for Sambor in Henselt’s Camp or for Felicia Cori in Vergen. This apprentice sorceress also provides hairstyling services in Loc Muinne, in Chapter 3 of the game.

To take advantage of barbershop and hairstyling services, look for Einar Gausel in Chapter 1 of the game, Sambor in Henselt’s Camp in Chapter 2, Felicia Cori in Chapter 2 if you travel to Vergen, and Felicia Cori once again in Chapter 3. "

edit-nm beaten but this can still be useful to others that missed it

Salaadin

Varna said:
Can anyone post pics of the new hair styles? Poor steam user here. :(

Crappy pics but here:

Default Rivian (High half Ponytail):
http://www.abload.de/img/witcher2.exe_2011-06-0rhb0.png

Squirrel Tail (Low Half Ponytail):
http://www.abload.de/img/witcher2.exe_2011-06-02cgd.png

Elven Style (Let Out):
http://www.abload.de/img/witcher2.exe_2011-06-02f2h.png

Dwarven Braid (Single Braid in Back):
http://www.abload.de/img/witcher2.exe_2011-06-0biwy.png

Raftsman Do (Full Ponytail):
http://www.abload.de/img/witcher2.exe_2011-06-0wfh4.png

Cintrian Pendulum (Shaved Temples and a Ponytail):
http://www.abload.de/img/witcher2.exe_2011-06-0pfpj.png

gdt

I think I hit a bug in Act 1. Kayran quest:

I got the Ostmurk, but I can't find Sile anywhere. The map points me to the inn, but freaks out left and right when I get there. I tried to enter Loredo's compound, but they won't let me in, I told him to fuck off.

Exuro

gdt5016 said:
I think I hit a bug in Act 1. Kayran quest:

I got the Ostmurk, but I can't find Sile anywhere. The map points me to the inn, but freaks out left and right when I get there. I tried to enter Loredo's compound, but they won't let me in, I told him to fuck off.
Are you going in the inn or upstairs to Sile's room?

Exuro

gdt5016 said:
I've gone in every room, I think, which is hers? The one with Margot? Near there?
Are you going in the inn? Because her room is above the inn, not in the inn itself. There's two doors, her's is the last one.

Those hairstyles look awesome! I think my favorite is the ponytail and the default. Never cared for the look in the first game, the tied back hair strikes me as more of a warrior's hairstyle.

Aurarian

Hey guys, does anyone know what those two alchemists in Flotsam are for? I accepted their offer but I don't have a quest for it. Does the quest have something to do with the next game? Is there a point in taking it?

Gestahl

Aurarian said:
Hey guys, does anyone know what those two alchemists in Flotsam are for? I accepted their offer but I don't have a quest for it. Does the quest have something to do with the next game? Is there a point in taking it?

They give you a mutagen.

Tokubetsu

ilK97.jpg

Loving the side shaves myself. Works well too if you're one of Roche's bros. You fit in better =)

Also, fucking love the armor designs in this game. The models in general really. Ugh this game is so fucking good.

Tokubetsu

Witcher 2 is the greatest game ever confirmed. I get to play dress up, fighting monsters, cast magic, equip TWO swords all while looking beautiful as fuck. #swag

Coldsnap

Beat the game tonight, amazing game... Will probably be my GOTY. Ending spoilers
I love how after coming away from the game I cannot say "Oh I played the good guy" or other way around like most morality based games. The truth is I don't know what side of the coin my decisions landed on; I sided with Roche, let him killed the king, watch Sile die, and killed Letho. I guess I could say I stuck with my friends in the game and followed through the mission to kill the kingslayer, but I def made some sacrifices in doing so.

Already thinking about a second playthrough....

This was my first PC game I've purchased at launch date since I built a new computer and all. I'd say this might be the last time I purchase a game day 1. I will probably wait 2-3 weeks for patches and the ten dollar price drop on steam.

Helmholtz

Coldsnap said:
This was my first PC game I've purchased at launch date since I built a new computer and all. I'd say this might be the last time I purchase a game day 1. I will probably wait 2-3 weeks for patches and the ten dollar price drop on steam.
To be fair there isn't usually a price drop like that so soon after launch. I agree about the patches though, it usually takes a week or two for all the major bugs to get fixed.

Coldsnap

Tokubetsu said:
Five dollars really that big of a difference? That's McDonalds snack wrap money fam.

When you're a broke college student working an un-paid internship yea five dollars is a difference. It's more about waiting for patches though and if I can save a few bucks even better.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not complaining about anything. As a consumer I'm just stating my experience with switching over to PC gaming and figuring out what works for me.

Varna

Not like the game wasn't working before the patches. I had zero issues until I installed the 1.1 patch. :p

Probably the smoothest CRPG launch ever.

Van Buren

Since the spoiler thread isn't too active, I've got a question for those who chose Iorveth's path in Chapter 2 -
Regarding Saskia's poisoning, it was strongly implied in my game that Olcan, the priest who dies at the start of Chapter 2, commissions Thorak, the corrupt rune-master, to craft a copy of Saskia's goblet. It was also hinted at that Stennis was behind the order, though I took paths in the game which didn't allow me to know for certain. Is there any path where Geralt can obtain concrete evidence implicating the person behind the poisoning ?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Coldsnap said:
When you're a broke college student working an un-paid internship yea five dollars is a difference. It's more about waiting for patches though and if I can save a few bucks even better.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not complaining about anything. As a consumer I'm just stating my experience with switching over to PC gaming and figuring out what works for me.

Rule Number 1 of PC gaming: Never buy anything unless you intend to play it that day, or it's under $5.

Many a Steam sell where I stocked up on games I've still yet to play, simply because they were discounted, has taught me this harsh lesson.

toasty_T said:
If you start the game the launcher will alert you that there is an update.

That's how I got it at least.

Ahh... I haven't installed 1.1 yet because of the problems it had for controllers in menu's and such and I can't seem to find 1.1 either... it mentions it, but doesn't seem to link to it anywhere...

Never mind - found it.

Edit - Sigh... now when I'm trying to apply the update it says "Installed game version is invalid or incomplete". I'm sure this has happened to people before, but what a pain in the butt skin. If anyone has experienced this and can give me some advice, please do, I will be searching the net for answers at the same time.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Van Buren said:
Since the spoiler thread isn't too active, I've got a question for those who chose Iorveth's path in Chapter 2 -
Regarding Saskia's poisoning, it was strongly implied in my game that Olcan, the priest who dies at the start of Chapter 2, commissions Thorak, the corrupt rune-master, to craft a copy of Saskia's goblet. It was also hinted at that Stennis was behind the order, though I took paths in the game which didn't allow me to know for certain. Is there any path where Geralt can obtain concrete evidence implicating the person behind the poisoning ?
Yeah that's everything in the quest alright. I'd say he's guilty for simply trying to bribe me lol. He's obviously jealous of the support saskia is getting from the common folks so there's your motivation.

Van Buren

Yurt said:
Yeah that's everything in the quest alright. I'd say he's guilty for simply trying to bribe me lol. He's obviously jealous of the support saskia is getting from the common folks so there's your motivation.
What happens in Chapter 3 if Prince Penis is allowed to be lynched by the mob then ? In my game, he was allowed to live, and the prick just assumed the title of Aedirn's ruler while hiding out in safety somewhere.

Van Buren said:
What happens in Chapter 3 if Prince Penis is allowed to be lynched by the mob then ? In my game, he was allowed to live, and the prick just assumed the title of Aedirn's ruler while hiding out in safety somewhere.

Doesn't he always die if you go with Roche? It didn't seem to make a big difference then

I thought came to me earlier (end game speculation)
What happens to Roche if you go with Iorveth? Assuming he still heads the conspiracy that means that the Blue Stripes suffer the same fate. Does Roche go after Henselt alone? Is Roche dead?

Van Buren

toasty_T said:
Doesn't he always die if you go with Roche? It didn't seem to make a big difference then

I thought came to me earlier (end game speculation)
What happens to Roche if you go with Iorveth? Assuming he still heads the conspiracy that means that the Blue Stripes suffer the same fate. Does Roche go after Henselt alone? Is Roche dead?
Stennis plays a vital role in Iorveth's path. The weasel was alive in my game.
Regarding Roche, since there is no Geralt to help Dethmold investigate the coin conspiracy, I'm assuming the Blue Stripes escape their grisly fates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom