• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.
Van Buren said:
Stennis plays a vital role in Iorveth's path. The weasel was alive in my game.

Oh, on Iorveth's path
I'm playing again now and I'm gonna let the peasants lynch that tosser. I think most people let him live

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Van Buren said:
Stennis plays a vital role in Iorveth's path. The weasel was alive in my game.
Regarding Roche, since there is no Geralt to help Dethmold investigate the coin conspiracy, I'm assuming the Blue Stripes escape their grisly fates.
Lol so the wild hunt is right about Geralt, he brings death wherever he goes :p. And about prince penis, if you choose to lynch him you get his blood for the Royal blood quest instead of going all the way to Henselt.

mileS

I just looked on gog forums for it

The Witcher 2 Mysterious Merchant Location – Act 1
In act 1, Mysterious Merchan is over by the path to dock, you can go there find him and by where you can also get reward money for killing the kayran.

toasty_T said:
Doesn't he always die if you go with Roche? It didn't seem to make a big difference then

I thought came to me earlier (end game speculation)
What happens to Roche if you go with Iorveth? Assuming he still heads the conspiracy that means that the Blue Stripes suffer the same fate. Does Roche go after Henselt alone? Is Roche dead?
At the end of my Iorveth playthrough, Geralt asked Triss about what happened with Roche during the shit fight going on while he fought the Dragon. Roche was there, and apparently offered a job as bodyguard by Henselt, but told him to go get fucked or something, iirc. Roche was definitely not dead.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
gdt5016 said:
I think I hit a bug in Act 1. Kayran quest:

I got the Ostmurk, but I can't find Sile anywhere. The map points me to the inn, but freaks out left and right when I get there. I tried to enter Loredo's compound, but they won't let me in, I told him to fuck off.

She's above the inn in the second room, right next to the room where the whore stays. I had troubles finding her too but it was worse finding Margo in Hangover quest.

So I just finished the game on Roche's path. To those of you that didn't like the ending...what part of made you not like it? Personally I thought the ending wasn't as good as Witcher 1's but the ending here gave closure and served to the bridge into Witcher 3.

So blocking doesn't use vigor now, pretty useful. Means quen is less of a necessity and aard and igni can be used more effectively during swordplay.

Not seeing the improved responsiveness though, the bomb/lock glitch is still there.

toasty_T said:
So blocking doesn't use vigor now, pretty useful. Means quen is less of a necessity and aard and igni can be used more effectively during swordplay.

Not seeing the improved responsiveness though, the bomb/lock glitch is still there.

Really? Holy shit, I didn't even notice

Yeah, responsiveness is still hit or miss though

Done. Roche's path on Hard/Alchemy build. Spared
Sile and Letho

+ All things considered, it's the best looking game ever.
+ Story branches.
+ Combat was great, I used a lot of bombs and traps, and had no issues with swords as some did.
+ Most side quests relate to main story.
+ The world is incredibly detailed (thus relatively small).
+ Music is almost on par with TW1.

- Inventory.
- Mini-games are bad especially dice, at least fist fighting is visually satisfying.
- I wanted x10 more content :(.

Definitely GOTY so far.

I liked the ending, don't know what some of you were expecting after all of THAT.

I will save my Iorveth play through until the game is patched more.

Kyaw

Does Sile
explode to pieces of guts and blood if you don't remove the magic gem piece from the teleporting device?

Aeana

Kyaw said:
Does Sile
explode to pieces of guts and blood if you don't remove the magic gem piece from the teleporting device?
It's more like a red cloud. I was actually surprised at how tame it was.

Kyaw

Baaw...
at least you find out that the Nilfgaardian army is marching towards the Northen Kingdoms and Yennefer can be found in the south if you let her live.

Echoplx

toasty_T said:

:D I can finally stop crying over my talent choices now :D

If only Steam would hurry up with this patch.

Checked again, you get 2 blocks out of one vigor point. Each block doesn't take off half a point so you are free to use a sign to deplete the point as usual.

Not entirely sure how it works actually.

Riposte

Fuck these patches! I was in the middle of writing an (amateur, NeoGAF) review! This changes a lot it seems. (I know, not a big deal.)

EDIT: Edge is no better than Eurogamer or EGM, you can quote me on that.

EDIT: I can't find the "stealth" song in the OST. Am I missing it? If not, are there enough songs missing that I should go look for a game rip?

Riposte

So I realized this game coming out for 360 this year has probably cost it "PC Game of the Year" from the Giant Bomb guys. Not like it is going to get near top 3 overall(Jeff and Ryan already hate the combat lol). Would have been an easy win otherwise. (I wonder how many other sites give that advantage to exclusives?)

The Edge reviewer really didn't like Geralt. It was like he let that one caveat tarnish his opinion of the game.

Edge inexplicably lets certain things slide with some games and ranks them high and on other occasions slams games for exceedingly petty reasons ignoring things that they do well.

I think I'm half the posts on this page lol

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Nezabyte said:
Edge has lost my respect, that's for sure. Apparently he didn't pay attention to the title of the game.
Edge, like any review outlet, should always be taken with a grain of salt. I never looked at them as the defacto reviewing spot.

Darklord

Banned
toasty_T said:
The Edge reviewer really didn't like Geralt. It was like he let that one caveat tarnish his opinion of the game.

I love how at the conference when they showed the mock trailer of paper witcher it showed an Edge review giving it 3/10

Darklord said:
I love how at the conference when they showed the mock trailer of paper witcher it showed an Edge review giving it 3/10
Edge's original score was going to be 9, but after that they were like:
1307192525-clip-56kb.jpg

The Last Wish is really good so far. I found out why they call Geralt The Butcher of Blaviken!

I understand that CDPR did the best they could trying to carry the moral connundrums from the stories but something feels missing. The conclusions to each story in the book are incredibly satisfying in novel form, that feeling is lost when you can finish a quest in the game and immediately start another one without a break in action (or maybe I should space out my gaming). Plus the investigation aspect doesn't seem as fleshed out. Not a dig at the quests in the games, some are fucking great, Little Sisters for example. I dunno, it's pretty cool experiencing the same thing in two competely different mediums. No mention of that trick Yennefer so far and I'm halfway through.

On a related note, book Geralt is boss as fuck
he smangs Snow fucking White

subversus

I finished my second playthrough. It was immensely more satisfying than Iorveth's path.

Also it's the best RPG of all times.
at least for these 5 minutes

I'll post more detailed impressions later...

leng jai

Second play through done. Definitely prefer it over Iorveth's, and not just because you don't have to do the awful mine quest with the dwarves.

Immediately started my third play through...I'm fucken addicted.

subversus

leng jai said:
Immediately started my third play through...I'm fucken addicted.

yes, it was my first intention after credits rolled. But I have a work to do...

So I'm in gaming limbo until august 26th
or may be I'll do another playthrough, hehe

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
DaBuddaDa said:
Follow people, not publications as a whole.
Basically maybe yes lol

Reviews used to be high standard back in the good ole EGM days but as of the last 6-8 years, they matter less and less but people still want to hold them high. Of course it's great when a game reviews well but there are many games which get panned but are praised by the gamers.

subversus

LiquidMetal14 said:
Basically maybe yes lol

Reviews used to be high standard back in the good ole EGM days but as of the last 6-8 years, they matter less and less but people still want to hold them high. Of course it's great when a game reviews well but there are many games which get panned but are praised by the gamers.

The Witcher 2 is a big game and one's opinion of it may vary depending on which path he took and did he understand combat mechanics well enough. Some monsters require a very formulaic approach, many reviewers just don't bother with it, because they have no time.

gdt

I can already see myself replaying this asap, with a different character build. I think I'm going Sword/Magic now, I'll go Sword/Alchemy next time.

Salaadin

LiquidMetal14 said:
Basically maybe yes lol

Gaf is pretty much my go to "review" site. Most people here are pretty level headed and fair when it comes to game talk. I usually read through OTs before purchasing now.

I can't stand "pro" reviews anymore.

Coldsnap

How is Magic / Alchemy build? My first playthrough was all swords and the two bomb buffs from alchemy. Also how many points do you have to put into the top build to unlock sword, alchemy, and magic?

Salaadin

Coldsnap said:
How is Magic / Alchemy build? My first playthrough was all swords and the two bomb buffs from alchemy. Also how many points do you have to put into the top build to unlock sword, alchemy, and magic?
I think its 7 points into the top build but theres a mod thatll let you do it right away

I cant speak for alchemy but can say that I love magic...especially later igni. I never got as far as heliotrope though.

zonezeus

Finished my first playthrough, Roche's path. I'm guessing most complaints about anti-climactic ending come from the Iorveth's path, I found Roche's ending quite complete and satisfying. Hell, I loved how
I DIDN'T save the kingdom, DIDN'T save the king or king's daughter and DIDN'T even kill "The Bad Guys", since it was pointless with all the damage already done
. What other game lets you do this?

Starting second playthrough now, this time with magic build on Iorveth's path.

gdt

Okay, can someone help me out real quick.

In the first confrontation with The Kingslayer, I decided to
give Iorveth his sword

Was that the decider in terms of which path I'll take? I wanted to do Roche's path first.

Kyaw

gdt5016 said:
Okay, can someone help me out real quick.

In the first confrontation with The Kingslayer, I decided to
give Iorveth his sword

Was that the decider in terms of which path I'll take? I wanted to do Roche's path first.

No it's not the decider. The decider is pretty obvious.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
anti-climactic ending come from the Iorveth's path

Nope, if you went with Iorveth, you'll get an awesome conversation with an awesome character. and It's pretty satisfying.

Going with Triss in any path sucks.

Riposte said:
So I realized this game coming out for 360 this year has probably cost it "PC Game of the Year" from the Giant Bomb guys. Not like it is going to get near top 3 overall(Jeff and Ryan already hate the combat lol). Would have been an easy win otherwise. (I wonder how many other sites give that advantage to exclusives?)
They do? I thought Ryan was enjoying it in the QL...

Salaadin

Yurt said:
Nope, if you went with Iorveth, you'll get an awesome conversation with an awesome character. and It's pretty satisfying.

I went with Triss in my first playthrough and loved it.

Yurt said:
What? Well sure I guess if you are looking to have some giant impact in an epic story I guess.
If you pick Triss it ends up being "You guys just keep doing whatever it is you are doing, killing each other or what not. I am outa here, got more important things to take care of."

Varna

Kyaw said:
No it's not the decider. The decider is pretty obvious.

I thought that was the moment too... most intense 5 seconds ever. Kind of disappointed that it wasn't.

Lostconfused said:
What? Well sure I guess if you are looking to have some giant impact in an epic story I guess.
If you pick Triss it ends up being "You guys just keep doing whatever it is you are doing, killing each other or what not. I am outa here, got more important things to take care of."

Definitely seemed like this game's
neutral path

Van Buren

Lostconfused said:

Going with Roche in the Roche path still ends the same way ultimately, but provides a lot more closure.
Roche offed Henselt and Dethmold, Geralt clears his name as a Kingslayer owing to the Nilfgaardian emissary capturing Letho, the lodge of sorceresses is utterly fucked over and Radovid can be double-crossed by Roche too. Just about every major player in the Roche-side story is accounted for. The only drawback is that Geralt is not provided with as much information on the inner workings of the lodge.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
No Van Buren don't tell them :p

Guys it's a simple reload at the end just do it. Yes going with Triss is the neutral choice. Just like TW1. IMO I don't think it tops what happens with Roche or Iorveth.

Keikoku said:
There is a Triss path ? What's the decider ? What happens during Act II ?

No and yes, it's better to be vague you'll understand later on don't worry.

Going with Triss
dooms everyone who you sided with up until that point. Seems like a dick move especially considering Letho saves Triss if you decide to help out your ally.

The closest thing the game has to a happy ending is freeing Saskia through Iorveth's path

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom