• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salaadin

Exuro said:
Gah I want to play this now. What copies already have the patch? Retail?

I think its out everywhere...at least it is according to the CDPR website. They say to just start the launcher and youre good. Steam seems to be the only exception.

Zefah said:
Get a Kindle! I absolutely love mine. Want to read a fan translation? Copy the text into a word file or whatever, run it through a program called Calibre, which automatically formats the text, and put the file onto your Kindle.
Youre tempting me....

3N16MA

Banned
Quick question (thought this was the best place to ask). I will most likely be picking this up for the XBOX 360 in November (I have a Mac and don't use boot camp). How much will I be missing by not playing the first game?

Complistic

chickdigger802 said:
is hitting multiple enemies mean the talent in the swordsman tree irrelevant now?

And I notice block requires no vigor now o_O

I'm thinking that talent will now probably just increase damage dealt to those periphery targets.

3N16MA said:
Quick question (thought this was the best place to ask). I will most likely be picking this up for the XBOX 360 in November (I have a Mac and don't use boot camp). How much will I be missing by not playing the first game?

Quite a bit. The gameplay is different in many ways, but it builds on the play of the first in a way which makes familiarity with the first pretty useful.

As for story, anyone who has not read all the books, (of which only 2 are in English so far) will miss a great many references and be confused with some of the plot of the second game already, but the first game is especially important plotwise to the Witcher 2.

WEGGLES

3N16MA said:
Everything!

Naw. It'd be a good idea to play the first if you can, but hardly essential. I think CDPr were aware they'd pick up new players with TW2, so it's not like it blindly drops you in and doesn't explain anything.

Might be a good idea to read up on TW1 though, if you are worried.

3N16MA

Banned
Thanks for the replies. Seems that my best bet is to at least get a background to what happened in the first game. So many games in November, I will see f this one stays on my list.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Exuro said:
Gah I want to play this now. What copies already have the patch? Retail?

If the launcher isn't working for patching, just download it from CDPR's site.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Exuro said:
What's the launcher suppose to do?
Don't know. I downloaded the patch from CDPR's site. :p

I did notice the DLC section was removed from the Launcher, though. That's kind of weird.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Exuro said:
What's the launcher suppose to do?
Give you a splash screen with tweaking options before entering the game. I always launch via the launcher now and added it to Steam as a shortcut. 1.1 fixed all loading issues so no need for the GoG exe anymore.

Exuro

LiquidMetal14 said:
Give you a splash screen with tweaking options before entering the game. I always launch via the launcher now and added it to Steam as a shortcut. 1.1 fixed all loading issues so no need for the GoG exe anymore.
I know what the launcher is but how does it update through the launcher?

I also went to the site but it says invalid version. Guess I have to wait.

Kyaw

Launcher isn't downloading patch. (not connecting to server and getting no speed)

Downloading off the website just doesn't work. Stuck at 'starting' in Firefox.

I downloaded the 1.2 Patcher from the official site, run it, and just get "Installed game version is invalid or incomplete". Are Steam users at the mercy of auto-update, then?

Exuro said:
I know what the launcher is but how does it update through the launcher?

I also went to the site but it says invalid version. Guess I have to wait.

I have the GOG version and when I loaded up the Launcher this morning it automatically started downloading the patch. After it was finished it said "Patch 1.2 Downloaded" and I had to go to the "Downloads" file in My Documents and run the .exe for the patch.

Enkidu

So I just tried the 1.2 patch and I must say, the way the Blue Stripes jacket is implemented is really bad. You play through the prologue with your regular jacket and then suddenly in the next cutscene you have a different armor on. This might be ok if you know you are using some optional DLC (like with the weird teleporting sword when you are importing a save) but now that it's installed for everyone from the beginning I'm starting to wonder why they even bother giving you that standard jacket at all. They should just place the Blue Stripes jacket in the chest on the boat once you get to Flotsam and remove the armor that is there currently.

Keikoku

Banned
Nezabyte said:
Could someone show exactly where I should be aiming the ballista? Not sure how the spyglass is supposed to work.

Is it possible to succeed ? I didn't know that, I thought you were supposed to fail at it.

Hawk269

Keikoku said:
Is it possible to succeed ? I didn't know that, I thought you were supposed to fail at it.

You can hit it, just aim right below the guys and it will hit. Above that and it misses. IT does have an impact, though small if you miss it.

Nezabyte

Neo Member
Oh ok, thanks! I've tried a bunch of times and never aimed at that second guy...all the guide says is to aim at 1.5 degrees...wtf

Hawk269 said:
You can hit it, just aim right below the guys and it will hit. Above that and it misses. IT does have an impact, though small if you miss it.
This and the Monk is cool stuff that's easy to miss. How did people figured out how to get awarded by the Monk? Won his ass more than 10 times and got nothing.

Minsc

Gold Member
Refreshment.01 said:
This and the Monk is cool stuff that's easy to miss. How did people figured out how to get awarded by the Monk? Won his ass more than 10 times and got nothing.

I thought the Monk was something to do only with the GOG version, so I just ignored it after I won once as I am playing the Steam one.

Exuro

Kyaw said:
So what happens if you hit the dudes with the ballista?
You get an achievement on Steam. :p Not sure if you get an ability or whatever those things are called.

Also, Where's my freaking Steam patch dammit?

Kyaw

Exuro said:
You get an achievement on Steam. :p Not sure if you get an ability or whatever those things are called.

Also, Where's my freaking Steam patch dammit?

ooh... no story impact?

Peff

Salaadin said:
Can anyone report on what "Geralt can attack more than one target during normal combat." in the patch notes means?

As far as I could tell it means that you can hit other enemies and make them stagger, but not actually damage them unless you have Whirl. Either that or the damage output is very, very small.

Salaadin

Peff said:
As far as I could tell it means that you can hit other enemies and make them stagger, but not actually damage them unless you have Whirl. Either that or the damage output is very, very small.

Hmm, thats not too bad. AT least its SOMETHING for early crowd control.

Kyaw

Salaadin said:
Hmm, thats not too bad. AT least its SOMETHING for early crowd control.

Grapeshot and Dreamstar [? the flaming one ?] is probably better for crowd control from a distance at least.

Also patching isn't working. Their servers are down or something.
Can't download from site either, very slow download. 40bytes per second.

Salaadin

Kyaw said:
Can anyone upload the 1.2 patch that you download from official site please?

Non of the solutions work for me. :(
Check pms

I can't wait to download another 9 gb on Steam!
Please tell me that shit will be fixed... :(

Exuro said in the other thread that they were going to. I hope so

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom