• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Solo said:
Ended up grapeshot-ing the queens to hell :lol

yep, you can do it.

Alchemy build is pretty weak on hard in my opinion. You should put a few points in swordmanship along the way. If you do it on normal you're fine, I think.

also I hate adrenaline implementation in alchemy build. While adrenaline generation is ok it doesn't bring any real benefits in damage and this green out-of-focus tint tend to not dissapear and stay in cutscnes even after adrenaline rush ends. I ended up respecing in Chapter III to swordsmanship build with alchemy bombs and traps + ingredients harvesting maxed out. That build owned.

RedSwirl

Still in Chapter 2 but shit is starting to get thick. I went the Roche path but do I actually get to go into Vergen or can I only do that on the Iorveth path?

Also, I found a myserious little camp right behind the Kaedweni camp on the other side of a cave, but couldn't enter it. Is there some other way or do I have to wait until later?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
RedSwirl said:
Still in Chapter 2 but shit is starting to get thick. I went the Roche path but do I actually get to go into Vergen or can I only do that on the Iorveth path?

Also, I found a myserious little camp right behind the Kaedweni camp on the other side of a cave, but couldn't enter it. Is there some other way or do I have to wait until later?

You'll visit Vergen.

That little camp is a story location, you'll see it later.

And you'll visit Vergen but you won't actually get into the city and be able to walk around and explore it.

Hawk269

Complistic said:
So is the steam patch still not out yet?

Nope. Which really sucks for those of us with the Steam copy. I dont understand why we have to wait though. I would not be as pissed if Steam or CDPR said the steam patch will be out on this day or that day. The fact taht the CDPR homepage says it is out and for Steam users to download the update, but there is no update is a bit frustrating.

Complistic

Hawk269 said:
Nope. Which really sucks for those of us with the Steam copy. I dont understand why we have to wait though. I would not be as pissed if Steam or CDPR said the steam patch will be out on this day or that day. The fact taht the CDPR homepage says it is out and for Steam users to download the update, but there is no update is a bit frustrating.

I think steam patches need to get certified by steam before they release them so thats probably what's happening.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Solo said:
The length of the game was perfect. If Chapter 3 was as long as Chapter 2 and there was a Chapter 4 + epilogue afterwardss, the game would really outstay its welcome.
The Witcher 1 kind of overstayed it's welcome to, but i think it was pretty good for doing that, and i wouldn't have minded at all if the witcher 2 did it as well! props for delivering a campaign that was free of any form of filler or padding though, we need more of that in w-rpgs.

Xtyle

Doing second run now on hard on Roche chapter 2. In chapter 1 I deliberately made my decisions different this time and the game played a lot differently. It didn't change the main storyline but all the details in the story aren't the same. I really appreciated that. I bet on a third run I would still see new stuff. Playing a mage build is actually quite fun (if a little overpowered) compared to pure swordsman too.

HooYaH

Complistic said:
I think steam patches need to get certified by steam before they release them so thats probably what's happening.

The 1.1 patch was released on Steam a few hours after the GOG/Retail.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
toasty_T said:
Woah, the new block is the business. I took down both Endrega Queens just blocking and using heavy strikes.
What exactly was changed for blocking? I only played for a few seconds in my second playthrough today.

thetrin said:
What exactly was changed for blocking? I only played for a few seconds in my second playthrough today.
Each block uses half a vigor point and the recharge time is half that of a full point.

So in a one one one encounter the the time between each attack/block is sufficient enough to negate the hit on your vigor.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
toasty_T said:
Each block uses half a vigor point and the recharge time is half that of a full point.

So in a one one one encounter the the time between each attack/block is sufficient enough to negate the hit on your vigor.
Why even tie it to vigor at all then?

thetrin said:
Why even tie it to vigor at all then?
To stop abuse I imagine. Unless the blocking mechanic added a timing element there needs to be some sort penalty for blocking otherwise you could hold block indefinitely and take no damage.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Was about to start this, then remembered that you can import your Witcher 1 save. Worth doing? Does it matter?

thetrin

toasty_T said:
To stop abuse I imagine. Unless the blocking mechanic added a timing element there needs to be some sort penalty for blocking otherwise you could hold block indefinitely and take no damage.
Well, I just meant it should have it's own bar. Sharing a bar with magic was kind of a pain until I got Quen II.

Varna

thetrin said:
Well, I just meant it should have it's own bar. Sharing a bar with magic was kind of a pain until I got Quen II.

Should have had a stamina bar like DS. Rolling around and attacking people with heavy attacks is pretty OP by the end.

aeolist

Banned
I'm a total novice and the very beginning of this game is nearly bad enough to make me give up completely

They seriously need to make this more approachable at the outset

Cels

Also I figured out you can get a haircut in Chapter 2 from Sambor, a merchant in the hooker camp. For chapter 2, the patch notes only mention a vendor who is in Vergen.

RedSwirl

So I just got to the end of the Death Symbolized quest in Chapter 2 where I had to get the standard from that
ghost dude
. WOW. That's the kind of shit that current gen consoles games would never allow. I
tried to play along off the top of my head but fucked up at the last question and ended up fighting him.

I just started playing tonight, and I have to say, this game looks absolutely amazing. And, I really like the combat system. I guess I'm one of those people who likes this Batman AA style combat, especially on PC.

Tokubetsu

RedSwirl said:
So I just got to the end of the Death Symbolized quest in Chapter 2 where I had to get the standard from that
ghost dude
. WOW. That's the kind of shit that current gen consoles games would never allow. I
tried to play along off the top of my head but fucked up at the last question and ended up fighting him.

Yeah, unless you looked up a guide, you had to actually be paying attention to lore/dialog to do that without a fight.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Are you still getting CTDs RedSwirl ?

I just started playing tonight, and I have to say, this game looks absolutely amazing. And, I really like the combat system. I guess I'm one of those people who likes this Batman AA style combat, especially on PC.

I loved it too. Even if you hate it, it's good enough to enjoy the story/game. TW1's combat was a fucking nightmare ! I still hear the clicking at night.

mileS

Has anyone tried killing a couple guards in Flotsam and picked to not pay the fine when they ask you? haha that was neat.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Just beat the game, and wow... Chapter 3 was super short compared to the other 2. Did i miss a lot of sidequests or what?

Also kind of underwheling ending, i was expecting some kind of cliffhanger like Witcher 1. :( So i just killed Letho and leave the city with Roche & Triss...and nothing else?

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
mileS said:
Has anyone tried killing a couple guards in Flotsam and picked to not pay the fine when they ask you? haha that was neat.

Definitely :p And if you fight next to the Inn, Roche and Zoltan will rush out to help you with the guards haha !

mileS

They really tweaked the combat, thats for sure. It seems to be not as punishing for people that like to spam the attack button now.

RedSwirl

Yurt said:
Are you still getting CTDs RedSwirl ?

No.

mileS said:
They really tweaked the combat, thats for sure. It seems to be not as punishing for people that like to spam the attack button now.

Yeah. For one I've noticed that blocking is actually worth a damn now. I'm also finding that I can spam attack if I'm just against one isolated enemy, but not unconditionally. Nimble enemies will still dodge strong attacks (just like they would the strong style in TW1) and you still have to be careful not to get surrounded.

Varna

mileS said:

That's really unfortunate. Maybe the beginning was a bit rough, but half way through chapter 2 things start to get really easy. Oh well. I know modders will fix this eventually.

Woah, Master Race indeed. Drove about 40 miles today to find a retail copy. I was going to get it from GOG, but I had a $50 BB gift card laying around and the retail version is like a $120 collectors edition if this was on consoles. Best godamn retail version of a game since Lunar Silver Story Complete on PS1. Fast forward to installation. Watched the new Dr. Who while it was installing. Perfect timing. Soon as the episode is done, TW2 is ready launch. Fire the bad boy up to see the recommended settings for my Asus G7 with ATI 5870 is “low”. I promptly folded the laptop down in shame with a new mission to visit the other Witcher 2 thread to try to optimize this. I know there's something with G7's you should download to overclock it.

I officially bow down to PC GAF. Seeing that low setting was like getting punched in the penis or that random snowball as kids that was 3/5 ice. I have this vision in my head of people who can play this on Ultra settings like it's that 80's movie War Games. Like there's a giant Joshua PC with flashing bulbs and film reels spinning in giant mutiple chasis. I kid, I kid. But godamn I think I understand now when some of you guys look at console games and laugh.

CDPROJEKT RED Engine has officially made me its bitch.

RedSwirl said:
Oh, and Vergen is a lot more interesting than the Kaedweni camp. I'll be sure to replay this game for the other path.

You miss out on a great deal of the Assassins of Kings plot if you're in Vergen.

Even worse you miss out on seeing the baddest motherfucker in all of the northern kingdoms doing some bad ass shit.

Roche > Iorveth

But collectively dwarves > Roche

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
GillianSeed79 said:
Woah, Master Race indeed. Drove about 40 miles today to find a retail copy. I was going to get it from GOG, but I had a $50 BB gift card laying around and the retail version is like a $120 collectors edition if this was on consoles. Best godamn retail version of a game since Lunar Silver Story Complete on PS1. Fast forward to installation. Watched the new Dr. Who while it was installing. Perfect timing. Soon as the episode is done, TW2 is ready launch. Fire the bad boy up to see the recommended settings for my Asus G7 with ATI 5870 is “low”. I promptly folded the laptop down in shame with a new mission to visit the other Witcher 2 thread to try to optimize this. I know there's something with G7's you should download to overclock it.

I officially bow down to PC GAF. Seeing that low setting was like getting punched in the penis or that random snowball as kids that was 3/5 ice. I have this vision in my head of people who can play this on Ultra settings like it's that 80's movie War Games. Like there's a giant Joshua PC with flashing bulbs and film reels spinning in giant mutiple chasis. I kid, I kid. But godamn I think I understand now when some of you guys look at console games and laugh.

CDPROJEKT RED Engine has officially made me its bitch.

Good news for you buddy. It's actually bugged and always recommends low for everyone lol.

This post might help http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=28106991&postcount=2825

You miss out on a great deal of the Assassins of Kings plot if you're in Vergen.

He'll miss knowing the story of Saskia, Sile and the dragon if he goes with Roche ! It balances out :p

Vaporak

Bisnic said:
Just beat the game, and wow... Chapter 3 was super short compared to the other 2. Did i miss a lot of sidequests or what?

Also kind of underwheling ending, i was expecting some kind of cliffhanger like Witcher 1. :( So i just killed Letho and leave the city with Roche & Triss...and nothing else?

There's a few sidequests in chapter 3 but it's still a lot shorter than the others.
You leave the city going south to find Yaennifer while simultaneously the Nifgardian empire is invading the north. Sure, they probably should have a cutscene of the empires army marching on the north just for the effect but plot wise it wouldn't have changed anything.

DEO3

Chapter I stuff, I'll just spoil everything since it's getting late.

I'm going through my second play through and I'm surprised at just how much stuff I missed in Chapter I my first time 'round. From quests I missed to dialogue I didn't quite understand my first time through (i.e. who the fuck is Henselt, what is Aedirn, etc.). I originally went with Roche, so I'm looking to side with Iorveth this time - my problem is, the game refuses to give me a good reason to join him, which is probably why I sided with Roche in the first place. At every opportunity his dudes are trying to fuck me. I get off the boat, they're trying to kill me, I'm questing in the forest, they're trying to kill me, I help out one of his agents by lying to Loredo's men and telling them she had nothing to do with the deaths of their comrades, hoping to gain a little good will with them, and instead, she tries to fucking kill me.

I get that by default the story makes you enemies - you're human, you've arrived with the Blue Stripes, and the locals, who you aid for most of the first chapter, are a bunch of ploughing whoresons. But you're not choosing between the locals and the Scoia'tael, you're choosing between Roche, who's had your back all through out, and Iorveth, who you only meet at the very end of the chapter, after his dudes have been trying to kill you non-stop, where he's a complete dick to you. By the time you learn that his motivations are sympathetic it really feels like it's too late to care.

Of course I'll still side with him, because I want to see that half of the game, and I'm sure we'll be cool and all in the next couple of chapters, but I still don't like how rushed the decision is between him and Roche in the first chapter. They really should have had you come in contact with the Scoia'tael sooner, or at least given you a reason not to side with Roche, who has been your ally throughout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom