• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

kokujin

Banned
What settings could I be looking at, and is there anything I could do before Wednesday to help?

Q6600@3.0 GHz
4GB of Ram
GTX 470 SC 1.28 GB

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm digging the combat, it's pretty unforgiving. The timing and weighted feeling of it seems much more similar to Demon's Souls than Batman: AA, which is a good thing.

epmode

Corky said:
I'll ask again since I got drowned in the sea of setup errors.

Will the ultra preset have all other settings ( except, AA, resolution and uber ofc ) on max?
This is Ultra:

[Rendering]
TextureDownscale=0
AtlasTextureDownscale=0
DetailTextureDownscale=0
MaxTextureSize=2048
MaxAtlasTextureSize=4096
TextureMemoryBudget=400
TextureTimeBudget=10
MaxCubeShadowSize=2048
MaxCubeShadowCount=3
MaxSpotShadowSize=2048
MaxSpotShadowCount=3
FoliageDistanceScale=1.0
MeshDistanceScale=1.0
CharacterLodGameplayDownscale=0
AllowBloom=1
AllowShafts=1
AllowAntialias=1
AllowBlur=1
AllowDOF=1
AllowDecals=1.0
AllowVignette=1
AllowSharpen=1
AllowRain=1
AllowSSAO=1
AllowMotionBlur=1
AllowScatterDOF=1
AllowCutsceneDOF=1
DanglesLimiter=0
ShadowQuality=3
ShadowedLights=3
Fullscreen=1
VSync=1
UberSampling=2

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Snuggler said:
I'm digging the combat, it's pretty unforgiving. The timing and weighted feeling of it seems much more similar to Demon's Souls than Batman: AA, which is a good thing.

Ok now I can't take it anymore, hurry up and download ffs!!!!!!!

epmode said:
This is Ultra:

thanks mate, where did you find this configfile?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Game looks amazing!

I was a bit worried when it defaulted to Low settings with my computer (560Ti, i5 2400, 8 gigs ram) but I set it to Ultra with Uber off and I'm getting very good framerates although it did lock up for a second when I stepped out of the tent but once that passed very smooth!

That was my sneak peek, now I need to finish Witcher 1. On chapter 3!

Dammit, seems that Radeon Pro seems to make the screen flicker when I enable it.... damn.

Someone said earlier how they fixed this, but I can't remember where their post was or how they did it...

markot

Banned
Ewwwwwwww, floaty mouse >_<

Also at first it seems to default to low, but if you run the 'auto check' thingy again in the options it sets it to a more appropriate level.

Corky

markot said:
Ewwwwwwww, floaty mouse >_<

GAH! Did you try to turn off v-sync? Floaty mouse is like aids to me, I'd rather not have it so to speak.

markot

Banned
Corky said:
GAH! Did you try to turn off v-sync? Floaty mouse is like aids to me, I'd rather not have it so to speak.
Made it abit better, but it still feels abit off >.> on some menus it floated like crazy.... on others less so.

Hope its just me >.<

Snuggler said:

The way you can quickly alternate between various enemies (with the flick of the wrist on a mouse) is a lot like Arkham Asylum though with how fast he responds and how far he dives to get at them.

But yeah I can see the Demons Souls comparisons lol, you have to be careful with the blocking and strikes here. I had to replay the ballista fight like 5 times damn. The visuals are gorgeous too. Will download the artbook and soundtrack tomorrow.

It's gonna take me a while to get used to this menu system though. It's cleaner and streamlined but I'm not used to it.

Corky

markot said:
Made it abit better, but it still feels abit off >.> on some menus it floated like crazy.... on others less so.

Hope its just me >.<

It's not just you I can fucking feel that shit telepathically, I despise it. Hopefully d3doverrider will kill it.

kase23

tanuki said:
Hey guys,

In the User config file

IK_Pad_RightAxisX=(GameKey="GI_AxisRightX",Value=1)
IK_Pad_RightAxisY=(GameKey="GI_AxisRightY",Value=1)

Change the Value to -1 to invert the axis for gamepads. :)

Thanks for the tip! been using inverted look controls since the original X-wing for DOS :p

pahamrick

markot said:

Hope its just me >.<

Going into the User.ini file and changing Smoothness=1 to Smoothness=0 under the mouse settings fixed the floaty mouse cursor for me.

Corky

sam27368 said:
Waiting for the game to arrive :( Impress me GAF with your impressions!

Will you be impressed by my downloadspeed of a whopping 0.9mbs? If not then I bid you farewell good sir.

Narag

DualShadow said:
Still 8 hours on steam dammit!

That's a placeholder per the Valve employee giving updates. He said he'll enable downloading once he hits 25 servers with the game on it. Currently at 13/25.

Animator

Setting your res to whatever you set it to in the launcher and then selecting full screen works. This is the same shit that happened to me with metro 2033. Annoying but whatever.

Game looks fucking incredible and is way more challenging than witcher 1. I died in the first solo fight I fought.

poisonelf

Isn't part of DRM being forced to have an online connection in order to play the game? Or am I not understanding this? If so, how is having to register online DRM free?

Re-installing now, though I doubt this has anything to do with unable to connect to server.

Narag said:
That's a placeholder per the Valve employee giving updates. He said he'll enable downloading once he hits 25 servers with the game on it. Currently at 13/25.

Oh sweet thanks for the info!

Is there an approx time for it to hit all the servers?

elwes

I'm getting really annoyed now. I have these fucking potions, yet I cannot seem to use any of them because there is no instruction on how to do it. I've died like three times trying to make my way to the courtyard. I'm at the part where I'm fighting like six guys and I always get down to the last few and end up dying.

HOW DO I USE POTIONS

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
elwes said:
I'm getting really annoyed now. I have these fucking potions, yet I cannot seem to use any of them because there is no instruction on how to do it. I've died like three times trying to make my way to the courtyard. I'm at the part where I'm fighting like six guys and I always get down to the last few and end up dying.

HOW DO I USE POTIONS

From what i've heard you can't use potions in battle. What difficulty are you playing on?

Exuro

elwes said:

HOW DO I USE POTIONS
Go into meditation via ctrl + esc. You can't be in combat though.

Narag

elwes said:

HOW DO I USE POTIONS

YMatticus said:
Potions: Can only be used in meditation. Hold control to bring up the menu, and select the meditation option in the middle. Can't be done in combat of course. You don't so much heal your wounds in battle as you take potions to increase your health regen before tough fights.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27876834&postcount=3492

epmode

Figured out the launcher problem.

After setting my Windows desktop resolution to 1920x1440 or below before launching the game. I can now play in fullscreen at 2560x1600.

Windows 7 64
Nvidia GTX570

If I'm running Windows in 2048x1536 or 2560x1600, the game won't work in fullscreen.

Corky

sam27368 said:
I have 2x 570's in SLI, do you think I'll be able to run on the ultra settings. The 590 taking a hit is scaring me :/

from the looks of it you'll be running ultra without a problem, it's when you introduce the ubersampling where even sli 580s takes a dive. Also then again somebody said that he/she didn't really see a difference with uber on/off while the game was in motion.

Luthos

You know I could almost see no potions in a fight. But having to meditate sounds annoying.

Oh well, I just can't sit still in anticipation of Steam finally getting it up.

kage

epmode said:
This launcher problem might be related to screen resolution.

My native desktop resolution is 2560x1600. Launching the game in fullscreen at the same resolution doesn't work.

BUT after switching the game AND desktop to 1920x1200, the game will launch in fullscreen. This works for quite a few lower resoltuions (though not all) but I still can't get it working at 2560x1600

After matching desktop and game resolution, I had the following results:

2560x1600 - FAIL
2048x1536 - FAIL
1920x1440 - WORKS
1920x1200 - WORKS
1920x1080 - WORKS
1680x1050 - WORKS
1600x1200 - WORKS

If desktop and game resolution DON'T match, the game won't launch in fullscreen, period.

Windows 7 64
Nvidia GTX570
You can launch the game on any res, just make sure you DEKSTOP res is not very high. Make your desktop 1080p and you can run the game at any res.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom