• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

zlatko

Banned
Pankaks said:

I love how over on the steam forums people are just shitting on them for this, because to be honest it is a pretty dumb move. They had the release date for the game for a half a year, and they didn't talk to CDProjekt/GoG to get this straightened out before hand? Valve is one of the biggest, if not THE biggest digital distributor, and this game is arguably the biggest PC game of the year we know is coming out.... yet this happens? Big big big ball dropped by them to be honest. :(

Exuro

zlatko said:
I love how over on the steam forums people are just shitting on them for this, because to be honest it is a pretty dumb move. They had the release date for the game for a half a year, and they didn't talk to CDProjekt/GoG to get this straightened out before hand? Valve is one of the biggest, if not THE biggest digital distributor, and this game is arguably the biggest PC game of the year we know is coming out.... yet this happens? Big big big ball dropped by them to be honest. :(
Who says Valve didn't try and coordinate with them? This looks like CDPR's fault. Also this apparently includes the 1st patch.

Echoplx

BoobPhysics101 said:
Weird... my laptop is as powerful (maybe even faster CPU-wise) and I'm getting less on High @ 1080p, maybe around 22-23 FPS. Catalyst 11.5 RC3 drivers

Weird thing is, if I start turning down settings, the FPS doesn't change... if I drop down to Medium, FPS stays the same. Turning down the High Settings and dropping down to Medium should give a huge boost in FPS... wtf. Either FRAPS is wrong (doubt it) or something is slowing down my system. GPU seems to be being utilized according to HWinfo32, CPU and GPU are fully clocked and not throttled... even if I drop down to 720p the FPS stays the same. Very weird.

Mobile parts will always be slower then their desktop counterparts.

golem

Exuro said:
Who says Valve didn't try and coordinate with them? This looks like CDPR's fault.
Also remember that CDPR is primarily interested in promoting sales through their own download service, not saying they intentionally screwed over Valve, but it obviously wasnt a priority for them.

Zeliard

JohngPR said:
The game is pretty tough. I'm still not sure how the timing of blocking strikes really works quite yet so I've been getting my ass kicked. Just holding it down after striking someone or getting struck once doesn't really make Geralt start auto blocking so I think it's way more timing based.

So far I basically forgo blocking almost entirely in favor of rolling and generally just not getting hit, using signs for defensive purposes as well.

The blocking stance only takes out partial damage, leaves you immobile (and in danger of being surrounded), and can be slow to switch to in the heat of combat, so I prefer just ignoring it, at least for now.

JohngPR

BoobPhysics101 said:
Weird... my laptop is as powerful (maybe even faster CPU-wise) and I'm getting less on High @ 1080p, maybe around 22-23 FPS. Catalyst 11.5 RC3 drivers

Weird thing is, if I start turning down settings, the FPS doesn't change... if I drop down to Medium, FPS stays the same. Turning down the High Settings and dropping down to Medium should give a huge boost in FPS... wtf. Either FRAPS is wrong (doubt it) or something is slowing down my system. GPU seems to be being utilized according to HWinfo32, CPU and GPU are fully clocked and not throttled... even if I drop down to 720p the FPS stays the same. Very weird.

I'm playing in 1080p as well.

If I had to say what my average FPS is, I'd say around 23-24....that's really a rough estimate though, I'm not 100% sure.

I haven't tried it on medium...I'll try that right now and see if I get any difference in FPS.

3chopl0x said:
Mobile parts will always be slower then their desktop counterparts.

...Come on, man. I have a Core i7 720m, 6 GB of RAM, and a Radeon 5870M 1 GB GDDR5. The 5870M is basically a slightly downclocked desktop 5770, and I have mine overclocked to 5770 levels so it's just as fast. So I should be getting equal performance, if not better.

JohngPR said:
I'm playing in 1080p as well.

If I had to say what my average FPS is, I'd say around 23-24....that's really a rough estimate though, I'm not 100% sure.

I haven't tried it on medium...I'll try that right now and see if I get any difference in FPS.

Ok, cool. Turn on FRAPS or RadeonPro's FPS counter and see what you're getting. When I switched to Medium, it made NO difference whatsoever.

Okay, seems I got it working properly somehow, I turned down the brightness and gamma just slightly and the flickering just disappeared... dunno why that worked, but it did!

So no I'm 45 - 60 in all scenes on Ultra and it's Magnificent.

This game is awesome, everything I was hoping for and more!! I love it.

Zeliard said:
Wait did any bonus in-game items come with the GOG pre-order?

Not sure about bonus items, but in Downloadable Content, there was a mini-adventure called Troll Trouble. I thought the real bonus on GOG was a free game (I got Divine Divinity)?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Steam version is downloading!

Edit: Doh

Hawk269

Well after messing around with the settings some more trying to get someting decent framerate wise in "uber" mode, I was able to get a consistent 25fps, with a few dips to 21 and a high of 60fps. The fps really is all over the place with this game, I can run from one end of an area to another and it is jumping between the low of 20 to 60, but for the most part a steady 25. I did turn down shadows to high and turned off bloom *way to intensive bloom*, also the motion blue to me is not great, so turned that off as well.

But with all that testing, Uber is too inconsistent for me, so Ultra with everything else set to max is where I am going to play at, which gives me an average of about 58fps, again depending on where I am. It does move between 50fps to 60, but closer to 60fps for an average.

Anyone know what Vignette setting does? How about "Dangling Objects Limit"?

zlatko

Banned
Exuro said:
Who says Valve didn't try and coordinate with them? This looks like CDPR's fault. Also this apparently includes the 1st patch.

Okay, let's say Valve contacted them numerous times to ask WTF where's the game. If CD kept saying, "we don't know, we'll get it to you ASAP," wouldn't it be wise/nice/smart to tell people on Steam before hand if they knew this? Now if they didn't do enough contacting about it, then wouldn't that be Valve's fault?

So my theory is, CD told them, "you'll get the game after our GoG version is launched after midnight." Would Valve tell people this even though they knew it? Of course not! They'd lose customers to GoG, so they kept their mouths shut.

It just doesn't add up that Steam as big as it is now, would drop the ball on this, and it also seems super unlikely that CD/GoG would be this unprofessional/idiotic about getting their game to Steam of all places in a timely manner.

Something is fishy about this whole thing.

Exuro

Sportbilly said:
Not sure about bonus items, but in Downloadable Content, there was a mini-adventure called Troll Trouble.
So DLC going to be mini adventures like the first and not added into the core game?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Hawk269 said:
Well after messing around with the settings some more trying to get someting decent framerate wise in "uber" mode, I was able to get a consistent 25fps, with a few dips to 21 and a high of 60fps. The fps really is all over the place with this game, I can run from one end of an area to another and it is jumping between the low of 20 to 60, but for the most part a steady 25. I did turn down shadows to high and turned off bloom *way to intensive bloom*, also the motion blue to me is not great, so turned that off as well.

But with all that testing, Uber is too inconsistent for me, so Ultra with everything else set to max is where I am going to play at, which gives me an average of about 58fps, again depending on where I am. It does move between 50fps to 60, but closer to 60fps for an average.

Anyone know what Vignette setting does? How about "Dangling Objects Limit"?

Hey hawk, can you actually notice a big difference between uber on / off when not standing still in the game?

Exuro

zlatko said:
Okay, let's say Valve contacted them numerous times to ask WTF where's the game. If CD kept saying, "we don't know, we'll get it to you ASAP," wouldn't it be wise/nice/smart to tell people on Steam before hand if they knew this? Now if they didn't do enough contacting about it, then wouldn't that be Valve's fault?

So my theory is, CD told them, "you'll get the game after our GoG version is launched after midnight." Would Valve tell people this even though they knew it? Of course not! They'd lose customers to GoG, so they kept their mouths shut.

It just doesn't add up that Steam as big as it is now, would drop the ball on this, and it also seems super unlikely that CD/GoG would be this unprofessional/idiotic about getting their game to Steam of all places in a timely manner.

Something is fishy about this whole thing.
Seeing as most games unlock at noon on Steam I honestly don't see the issue. The core of the problem is CDPR. Them not letting Steam get a preload told me that something like this was completely plausible by them.

zlatko

Banned
Exuro said:
Seeing as most games unlock at noon on Steam I honestly don't see the issue. The core of the problem is CDPR. Them not letting Steam get a preload told me that something like this was completely plausible by them.

Yeah, it just sucks that Steam people sort of got shafted a little. :(

Mine is downloading right now. Estimated time 9 hours...FML.

BoobPhysics101 said:

Ok, FRAPS is definitely lying. Dropping from High to Medium to Low, it says I'm getting the same FPS on Low as I was getting on Medium/High. Bullshit. Either my system specifically is lying about its FPS output on FRAPS/RadeonPro or FPS counters aren't working correctly in this game.

Wow, the DOF makes such a HUGE difference to the frame rate. Simply turning only that off almost doubles the frame rate and you can really hardly tell the difference.

For now, I can't seem to run the game with Crossfire so I can life without DOF until they fix the Crossfire settings (hopefully AMD do this ASAP).

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Game seems incredible so far. I want to keep playing so bad but it's 6AM and I'm falling asleep. I can't wait to play again but it'll be almost a whole day. :(

JohngPR

BoobPhysics101 said:
Ok, cool. Turn on FRAPS or RadeonPro's FPS counter and see what you're getting. When I switched to Medium, it made NO difference whatsoever.

Alright, on medium settings I got an average of 32 fps in the area I'm at which is right before you drop down to use the ballista (on top of a bridge), and on the auto-detected settings which are:

2w3n5uu.jpg

I got 24 FPS....and that's just walking around the general area and looking down where the ballista is.

Also, if someone sees something I can change in my settings to get a higher FPS with minimal to no difference in visual quality please let me know...it'd be highly appreciated!

Hawk269

Corky said:
Hey hawk, can you actually notice a big difference between uber on / off when not standing still in the game?

Not really. I did some testing, looking at specific textures with Uber on and off and I really cant see too much of a difference. When on, overall, I do think it look a little better, very slight though, but when running around and stuff, I really cant tell the difference. I rather trade the 25fps I am getting under Uber settings for the consistent 55-60fps I get with ultra and everthing turned on/enabled etc.

Still in the prologue but with my setup of

Q6600@ 3.2GHz
5850 OC to 850/1200

Playing at 1680x1050 I'm sitting between 28-50fps with ultra settings minus ubersampling. The game feels incredibly smooth unlike the first game which felt like hell at much higher framerates.

Bit letdown by the hair though.

Wallach

BoobPhysics101 said:
Ok, FRAPS is definitely lying. Dropping from High to Medium to Low, it says I'm getting the same FPS on Low as I was getting on Medium/High. Bullshit. Either my system specifically is lying about its FPS output on FRAPS/RadeonPro or FPS counters aren't working correctly in this game.

What CPU? That is usually a symptom of your CPU holding up your GPU.

mileS

ok this is strange im getting more FPS with shadow quality on ultra compared to high. man lots of tweaking to be done here.

tried messing with the user setting file for mouse smoothing or whatever it is. Didn't work as good as I thought it still a bit floaty. Tried using D3Doverrider instead as well.

Van Buren

I wish they modify the UI to show what all ranks of a skill will do. At the moment the UI displays just what the next rank of a skill does, and this does not work so well for a skill that unlocks an ability; it's only informative for those skills that increase an ability's effectiveness by a % since one can infer that the second rank will double that %.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Fuck. I'm stuck at work. Can't pre-load steam. Will die soon.

Hawk269

ColonialRaptor said:
Wow, the DOF makes such a HUGE difference to the frame rate. Simply turning only that off almost doubles the frame rate and you can really hardly tell the difference.

For now, I can't seem to run the game with Crossfire so I can life without DOF until they fix the Crossfire settings (hopefully AMD do this ASAP).

If you read the "Read Me" file, it does talk abou crossfire. The file also breaks down what all the settings are in the graphics tool. It was a pretty good help in understanding what all that stuff meant.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Hawk269 said:
Not really. I did some testing, looking at specific textures with Uber on and off and I really cant see too much of a difference. When on, overall, I do think it look a little better, very slight though, but when running around and stuff, I really cant tell the difference. I rather trade the 25fps I am getting under Uber settings for the consistent 55-60fps I get with ultra and everthing turned on/enabled etc.

Alright buddy, I think I'll do the same and stick to uber off frankly.

JohngPR said:
Alright, on medium settings I got an average of 32 fps in the area I'm at which is right before you drop down to use the ballista (on top of a bridge), and on the auto-detected settings which are:

I got 24 FPS....and that's just walking around the general area and looking down where the ballista is.

Also, if someone sees something I can change in my settings to get a higher FPS with minimal to no difference in visual quality please let me know...i'd be highly appreciated!

Turn off Cinematic Depth of Field, Antialiasing, Motion Blur, SSAO, Depth of Field Gameplay, Depth of Field Cutscenes, Vertical Sync, set Texture Memory Size to High, and keep Shadows at High or set to Medium. Big FPS boost. Should be hitting 60+ on Medium... something is wrong, and I know FRAPS is lying to me about my FPS.

Wallach said:
What CPU? That is usually a symptom of your CPU holding up your GPU.

Trust me, not CPU limited. Core i7 720m overclocked, this laptop is definitely GPU limited. Especially not CPU limited @ 1080p...

Zeliard

I already love the overhauled combat and it's only the basic stuff so far. To think there are still the alchemy/crafting/talent tree to be introduced is joyous.

In italy the steam server still busy :|
I'm afraid to switch server because i want to download the game at maximum speed, can i change server during a download?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
BoobPhysics101 said:
How overclocked is your CPU?

When framerate doesn't change, it's CPU limited.

longdi

Banned
gog is fucking slow to download the remaining 100mb. remind me never to go digital on smaller services. i should have bought the hardcopy which i should be playing now.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
toasty_T said:
Q6600@ 3.2GHz
5850 OC to 850/1200

Playing at 1680x1050 I'm sitting between 28-50fps with ultra settings minus ubersampling. The game feels incredibly smooth unlike the first game which felt like hell at much higher framerates.
I've got about the same, cept an AMD 955. This is good news to me, being able to keep SSAO on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom