• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Xenon_

Banned
Anybody here bought the retail version of this game? How long does it take to install? 10 minutes passed and it's stuck in the first file (pack0.dzip) here. I wonder if it's the dvd's problem or my drive is about to bust.

Zeliard

Exuro said:
So the game really is that hard?

I'm playing on Hard and still in the quite combat-heavy prologue, and so far, it isn't that easy, no. :p Enemies will cut you down pretty quickly if you don't watch what you're doing.

Positioning is crucially important, as well as using signs properly. You want to get a handle on the rhythms of combat and time enemy sword swings. Get rid of pesky archers first, and weaker enemies in general before taking on the more dangerous ones. The trap (Yrden) and defense (Quin) signs in the early going are particularly invaluable.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
oh shit I totally forgot, amongst all this launch madness did anyone even bother to see if there's been any reviews out :D? ( other than the 2-3 ones we already know of )

Hawk269

Corky said:
from the looks of it you'll be running ultra without a problem, it's when you introduce the ubersampling where even sli 580s takes a dive. Also then again somebody said that he/she didn't really see a difference with uber on/off while the game was in motion.

I am running 2xSLI 580's and Uber mode is about 20-25FPS in actual game play. Ultra, with everything set to max I am good, with occasional drops to 50fps. Very demanding game..but also one of the most beatiful looking games...pretty stunning and I am just in the beginning.

sam27368

Banned
Corky said:
from the looks of it you'll be running ultra without a problem, it's when you introduce the ubersampling where even sli 580s takes a dive. Also then again somebody said that he/she didn't really see a difference with uber on/off while the game was in motion.
Thanks! When you mean take a dive how low has the framerate dipped? I can play it happily if it's 30+

Narag

Zeliard said:
I'm playing on Hard and still in the prologue, and so far, it isn't that easy, no. :p Enemies will cut you down pretty quickly if you don't watch what you're doing.

Positioning is crucially important, as well as using signs properly. You want to get a handle on the rhythms of combat and time enemy sword swings. Get rid of pesky archers first, and weaker enemies in general before taking on the more dangerous ones. The trap (Yrden) and defense (Quin) signs in the early going are particularly invaluable.

This sounds wonderful.

JohngPR

I suppose I can't use Radeon Pro to set my AA. I tried it just to see and this happened:

359ya6r.jpg

Exuro

Corky said:
oh shit I totally forgot, amongst all this launch madness did anyone even bother to see if there's been any reviews out :D? ( other than the 2-3 ones we already know of )
IGN didn't get a review copy so I'm guessing a lot of reviewers will be playing it along side us.

So I played a bit of the prologue using ao 360 controller and some thoughts...

- Combat is hard on normal. I died like 3 times already. But hit detection is slightly on the janky side.
- I'm seeing a fair bit of pop in and some clipping.
- analog movement isn't quite right. Tilt the stick to slow walk...pull it to run...there's no in between
- Textures are freakin gorgeous.
- I'm getting my target performance on ultra so far...
5850 with a Q9550 gives me low 30 Frames per second on ultra with AA enabled and uber sampling turned off. It's very playable and responsive at that framerate.

As you can see these are really minor gripes. The prologue so far has some really cool set pieces.

pahamrick said:
Also keep the MVPUMode at DriverDefault, as I noticed changing that caused a weird flicker too.

I don't have all of the same profiles built into radeon pro as you, I had to use the standard D3D AFR profile, which sort of worked but sort of didn't.

As soon as I left the tent, the world went incredible dark and flickery and no matter what I do to tweak it I can't make it go away :/

Seems crossfire is broken for me. So i'm getting 30fps without crossfire but locked at 60 with it. I'd REALLY prefer to play at 60.... but I can't seem to fix it... GAH

Corky

sam27368 said:
Thanks! When you mean take a dive how low has the framerate dipped? I can play it happily if it's 30+

See hawks post above yours :)

Exuro said:
IGN didn't get a review copy so I'm guessing a lot of reviewers will be playing it along side us.

Oh I see, anybody have a hint of how long of a game tw2 might be?

My game just checked for updates after the install, and downloaded a 28 meg file. Patch already, or is this just some activation thing?

Glad that the Roche Commando jacket isn't available right away. I was wondering whether or not to install it for fear that it'd be overkill at the start, but that decision has been made for me. Nice one.

Now to find my Witcher last save game, and sort out the inverted mouse ....

zlatko

Banned
Are the steam forums for Witcher 2 down for anyone else? I was trying to follow the mod on there keeping everyone up to date, but can't get the forum page to work. :(

wilflare

AMD 955 with a 5830?
Do you think I can play Ultra with Ubersampling and AA off?

shall try it with my PS3 Controller with Motionjoy
it feels so much like a console game

Van Buren

Been making my way on Hard through the tutorial, and the combat is tactical in that positioning can make or break a fight. I'm loving it, and the way the rpg elements of the stat system are integrated seamlessly into the combat. Oh, and strong attacks seem to cause dismemberment, which was not shown in the trailers. I'm actually looking forward to more combat encounters, which is surprising since I tend to favor diplomacy-oriented characters in my RPGs.

The writing has been top-notch so far, and Foltest has got to be one of the most-likable Kings in game narratives. Everyone should read the journal entries - Dandelion's writing makes it hilarious.

About playing the first game prior to this, I've already come across quite a few references to events from the first game, and the Raven armor from the import is quite unique-looking, and useful.

Zeliard

Narag said:
This sounds wonderful.

I'm really enjoying it so far and the combat itself has barely scratched the surface. The entire alchemy/crafting aspect hasn't been introduced yet, and while I'm gaining experience, none of the leveling up stuff has happened so far. It's also the prologue so the enemies are pretty basic.

The prologue has tons of combat (in fact that's almost all it's been so far) so you'll definitely be able to adjust to it.

One thing that was a bit annoying is they don't introduce the lock-on until quite a bit into the tutorial (you hit ALT, and you switch targets with TAB) . Granted I should probably take a look at the keys, but still.

BeeDog

YEEES, just picked up my Nordic Edition! Holy shit, this edition is massive despite it being standard-priced. :D

WoooWoooWooo!

Exuro

Zeliard said:
I'm really enjoying it so far and the combat itself has barely scratched the surface. The entire alchemy/crafting aspect hasn't been introduced yet, and while I'm gaining experience, none of the leveling up stuff has happened so far. It's also the prologue so the enemies are pretty basic.

The prologue has tons of combat (in fact that's almost all it's been so far) so you'll definitely be able to adjust to it.

One thing that was a bit annoying is they don't introduce the lock-on until quite a bit into the tutorial (you hit ALT, and you switch targets with TAB) . Granted I should probably take a look at the keys, but still.
So there IS a lock on? This was one of the issues I had back when we didn't know much about combat. Does it work well?

Corky

BeeDog said:
YEEES, just picked up my Nordic Edition! Holy shit, this edition is massive despite it being standard-priced. :D

WoooWoooWooo!
Va?! Fml :( why didn't I know about this

Zeal

Banned
Would I be able to play this on my geforce gtx 460 1gig model? If so, what kinda settings am I looking at? Thanks guys.

Zeliard

Exuro said:
So there IS a lock on? This was one of the issue I had back when we didn't know much about combat. Does it work well?

Yeah you're gonna want to use it. Fighting without the lock-on is still manageable but the hit detection can be a bit shaky without it when you're fighting a bunch of enemies.

Here are the default keys if anyone's interested:

35btieq.png

1920x1080
3.8ghz core i7
6gig ram

Im playing it maxed out and im getting about 30-50 frames.
Usually 30-35 in fights but never drops below that.

pahamrick

ColonialRaptor said:
I don't have all of the same profiles built into radeon pro as you, I had to use the standard D3D AFR profile, which sort of worked but sort of didn't.

As soon as I left the tent, the world went incredible dark and flickery and no matter what I do to tweak it I can't make it go away :/

Seems crossfire is broken for me. So i'm getting 30fps without crossfire but locked at 60 with it. I'd REALLY prefer to play at 60.... but I can't seem to fix it... GAH

Click on Manage Custom Profiles

For Game Title put CompatAFR-1x1

For Executable name put CompatAFR-1x1.exe

Click the Down arrow next to save, and click CFX Compatibility.

That'll add the profile I'm using, which removes the dark flickering from the D3D AFR Profile.

derFeef

sam27368 said:
Yeh. "Sick" ;) I was thinking of pulling that one today but I'm on a late shift, got til 1pm to arrive!
Nah, real sick, coughing, feaver and shit. If it arrives I don't think I will be able to play it instantly. Or maybe in delirium :D

Corky

derFeef said:
Nah, real sick, coughing, feaver and shit. If it arrives I don't think I will be able to play it instantly. Or maybe in delirium :D

Come on buddy, this is GAF we have cams planted all over the place, you're not fooling anyone. Or your body is simply using all its tricks to fool you.

I'm also sick.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
new Reviews

PC Games - 88/100

Gamestar - 87/100

Gamesaktuell - 9/10

Hawk269

Barberetti said:
My game just checked for updates after the install, and downloaded a 28 meg file. Patch already, or is this just some activation thing?

Glad that the Roche Commando jacket isn't available right away. I was wondering whether or not to install it for fear that it'd be overkill at the start, but that decision has been made for me. Nice one.

Now to find my Witcher last save game, and sort out the inverted mouse ....

Yes, there is a patch already. The patch notes were posted a few pages back.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
toasty_T said:
The Raven Armor looks hot.

I managed to transfer the Moon Blade as well but I didn't get my steel sword (can't remember the name).

Hwalari?

Or something along those lines.

Pankaks said:
Hwalari?

Or something along those lines.

G'valchir was it. Thing was crazy, it had +100% damage.

I'm not sure if the transfer didn't go correctly or if it just doesn't carry over.

Did anyone get their last steel sword?

Facism

holy fucking shit at the packaging. Didn't expect the limited edition for 30 squids, i can tell you! Installing now, been so long since i've mentally dribbled the precum over a new PC release. Excited like Sheik Mansour.

Sn4ke_911

Exuro said:
Hmm sounds like the final act isn't very good from most of the reviews. That's disappointing.

Yes. Gamestar said if Act 3 would have been better they had gave it over 90%. One of the reviewers also said the game has many bugs. Enhanced Edition in a few month incoming?

Lime

The GOG downloader is buggy as fuck. It can't compile anything for shit (I've wrestled with that thing for 3 hours now and it still won't extract the bin files despite several re-downloads). I'll have to download the bin files from the browser instead. Ugh. -____-

JohngPR

Really liking the game so far, here are some impressions of 30-40 of playtime so far.

First off:

3.2 GHZ Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition
Radeon HD 5770
4GB RAM

Right now I can run mostly everything on high settings and maintain a framerate of 20-30 FPS which still is very playable.

The framerate stays in the mid 20's for the most part and have had only one dip below 20 so far. Still very playable and responsive.

I'm playing with a 360 controller and like it although the analog movement of your character could be a little bit better. Really there's just walk and run with very little inbetween. Other than that it's not bad, but not as good as the Uncharted 2's and Batman AA's of the world.

The game is pretty tough. I'm still not sure how the timing of blocking strikes really works quite yet so I've been getting my ass kicked. Just holding it down after striking someone or getting struck once doesn't really make Geralt start auto blocking so I think it's way more timing based.

I haven't really done much combat other than four instances but that's what I've gathered so far. The art direction, textures, color palette in this game are awesome. Not only that, but the load times are crazy. I can go from title screen to playing in seconds....amazing!

Haven't really played a whole lot so that's all I got so far.

As far as DL the game using the GOG downloader, I didn't have any issues other than having to press pause and resume a few times to get it to start. Even then it was 3:01 when I tried it, so it could have been that it wasn't up yet. Other than that, prepare for a good 30 minutes of install time.

Sn4ke_911

Gamestar posted a few new shots but i know how spoiler sensible GAF is so i won't post them here.

I think this one is ok.

hyP1C.jpg

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
It's almost here Steam brothers!

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=22455409&postcount=210

Chris said:
Okay...we're pretty close to my magic server number. I'm going to start turning on the content. I assume a lot of you will get error messages like "No content servers are configured...etc." and "Servers are too busy..." until more servers come online, but apparently some people testing in Eastern Europe can connect to servers, so I might as well bring them all down. Anyway, those error messages will taper off over the next few hours.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Ughhhhhhhh I still didn't finish Witcher 1(still at the end of Chapter 4). I wish I could of finish Witcher 1 in time but just going to move to Witcher 2 tomorrow

Hawk269

Sn4ke_911 said:
Yes. Gamestar said if Act 3 would have been better they had gave it over 90%. One of the reviewers also said the game has many bugs. Enhanced Edition in a few month incoming?

I think the patch that came out fixed some of the bugs since they mention some issues being resolved with the patch. Patch also came out today, so the bugs in the reviews may be pre-patch.

JohngPR said:
Really liking the game so far, here are some impressions of 30-40 of playtime so far.

First off:

3.2 GHZ Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition
Radeon HD 5770
4GB RAM

Right now I can run mostly everything on high settings and maintain a framerate of 20-30 FPS which still is very playable.

The framerate stays in the mid 20's for the most part and have had only one dip below 20 so far. Still very playable and responsive.

Weird... my laptop is as powerful (maybe even faster CPU-wise) and I'm getting less on High @ 1080p, maybe around 22-23 FPS. Catalyst 11.5 RC3 drivers

Weird thing is, if I start turning down settings, the FPS doesn't change... if I drop down to Medium, FPS stays the same. Turning down the High Settings and dropping down to Medium should give a huge boost in FPS... wtf. Either FRAPS is wrong (doubt it) or something is slowing down my system. GPU seems to be being utilized according to HWinfo32, CPU and GPU are fully clocked and not throttled... even if I drop down to 720p the FPS stays the same. Very weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom