• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition |OT| Bow low, you stand before a head crowned.

Mind sharing the [rendering] section of your user.ini? I also assume you're using that SMAA injector. I just tried it, rather like it actually.

Yep, SMAA injector. User.ini:

[Rendering]
AllowAntialias=1
AllowBloom=0
AllowBlur=1
AllowCutsceneDOF=1
AllowDOF=1
AllowDecals=1.0
AllowMotionBlur=1
AllowRain=1
AllowSSAO=1
AllowScatterDOF=1
AllowShafts=1
AllowSharpen=0
AllowVignette=1
AspectRatio=0
AtlasTextureDownscale=0
CharacterLodGameplayDownscale=0
DanglesLimiter=0
DetailTextureDownscale=0
FoliageDistanceScale=2.0
Fullscreen=0
MaxAtlasTextureSize=4096
MaxCubeShadowCount=4
MaxCubeShadowSize=2048
MaxSpotShadowCount=4
MaxSpotShadowSize=2048
MaxTextureSize=2048
MeshDistanceScale=2.2
ShadowQuality=3
ShadowedLights=3
TextureDownscale=0
TextureMemoryBudget=1200
TextureTimeBudget=10
UberSampling=0
VSync=1

So I've been messing with the graphic settings after seeing some of these pictures and whenever I turn off Bloom and DoF stuff I get these little dots at the bottom of the screen.

They go away when I turn off AA but this seems strange.

Complistic

I don't think so, no. I'm not sure why I have that on. See if there is any difference with it on vs off with the SMAA injector.

Should just overall be slightly less blurry I think.

can you guys post some steps for noob pcer's? It wasn't obvious to me what to do here but I fear I really am suffering with too much sharpening (solid) lines etc.

First make a copy of your user.ini and put it on your desktop or something, then you're free to experiment with the one in your documents folder without fear of doing something terrible.
I think the biggest changes are changing the smoothing to 0 so that you don't get that stupid mouse lag in the menus and then just sharpness to 0.

gdt

Feeling real mad we won't get the 360 control improvements >_<. Can't figure out why we wouldn't.

Inventory is so clunky. Every time im looking through something and I click it, I was actually highlighting my boots so they upequip.

Alchemy is annoying when switching out ingredients.

The combat/sign wheel is terrible and doesn't work like what you would think.

Lock-on does almost didly squat.

BUT I'm not sure I would want to strafe anyway, I move all over the place in combat.

Complistic

After some extensive testing I've come to the conclusion that the game looks damn good no matter what settings you choose and it's really just preference.

Other than the bloom. The bloom is just awful, haha. Turning off the sharpness and AA then using the injector really does look good though.

Warmed this puppy up tonight on 360. Going in blind, I've managed to avoid knowing almost anything about this game, and I'm pretty pleased so far, didn't expect so much depth at all judging from my first impression of the combat.

Arm wrestling metagame can bite me though. :p

Warmed this puppy up tonight on 360. Going in blind, I've managed to avoid knowing almost anything about this game, and I'm pretty pleased so far, didn't expect so much depth at all judging from my first impression of the combat.

Arm wrestling metagame can bite me though. :p

Arm wrestling is easy.

Dice Poker is shit though.

Xyber

Yep, SMAA injector. User.ini:

So, I tried this one and that just messes up my colors completely. :/

xPKbB.jpg

Anyone who knows how to fix this?

watership

Oh great, loads of .ini file and settings chatter. Just what the doctor ordered. Don't you guys have a technical thread for that crap?

pakkit

Banned
God damn this game is good. I really appreciate the subtleties of the script, only ~8 hours in and the game keeps making me out to the look the fool by betraying the wrong person.

michaelo3333

Neo Member
I'm getting an annoying grainy grid pattern-like shadow effect on everything but most noticable on people. See Geralt's neck in the picture below

Anyone have any suggestions? I tried searching around but could not find any good solutions other than someone on thewitcher2.com that said they fixed it by reinstalling windows.

I'm getting an annoying grainy grid pattern-like shadow effect on everything but most noticable on people. See Geralt's neck in the picture below

Grid_Lines.jpg

Anyone have any suggestions? I tried searching around but could not find any good solutions other than someone on thewitcher2.com that said they fixed it by reinstalling windows.

That's just how the game is. I assume, your picture isn't loading.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
There is no fix. Shadow dithering is an engine quirk, and a shitty one at that. Reinstalling Windows wont fix anything.

Card Boy

Banned
Bought this at launch last year twice got up to Flotsam but bailed out due to an uncontrollable backlog. Upto Flotsam again, 3rd times a charm.

I only got AC: Revelations and Legend of Grimrock in the playlist now as opposed to the 15 games i was playing at the same time last year.

Eusis

There is no fix. Shadow dithering is an engine quirk, and a shitty one at that. Reinstalling Windows wont fix anything.
Yeah, the only real "fix" is to invest in some very high end cards, preferably in SLI/Crossfire configuration. Then you can turn on ubersampling and kill (or at least greatly diminish) the dithering. Or you can just turn on ubersampling now and deal with an N64-esque framerate, and that's assuming you have something like a 560ti or 6950 to begin with.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
There is. Just turn off sharpening filter.

Turning off sharpening does not turn off shadow dithering. Dithering is caused by how the engine renders shadows. Turning off sharpening minimises the perceived effect of dithering as the dithered edges are no longer sharpened.

Yeah, the only real "fix" is to invest in some very high end cards, preferably in SLI/Crossfire configuration. Then you can turn on ubersampling and kill (or at least greatly diminish) the dithering. Or you can just turn on ubersampling now and deal with an N64-esque framerate, and that's assuming you have something like a 560ti or 6950 to begin with.

Yeah, ubesrsampling is the only way to truly minimise dithering. The shadows are sampled at a higher resolution, with sharpening off, and downsampled to produce a cleaner image. But it's still there and, as you said, requires crazy beefy hardware.

The game is insanely gorgeous, but desperately needs a proper soft shadow renderer and preferably nice MSAA support. Needs DX11! I'd suggest slight tessellation of building stones too, but the textures would probably lose a ton of detail.

squidyj

The only thing you can really do is buy better hardware and crank up the ubersampling.

SpideyPL

Neo Member
Im just start act 1, 360 version, and for me this is the best RPG on this piece of hardware.
No doubt.
Please buy this game, and support CDPR to make next class RPG game.

CDPR>>>>>>>BIOWARE

despire

Ugh, my copy never showed in the mail. Had get another copy from local game shop. So now I've paid for two Xbox copies and for one copy of PC version :D

Gonna have to return the other Xbox-game when it finally arrives next week..

Card Boy

Banned
I take it the game has a storage system? I got like 200 weight worth of crafting materials on me.

Should i be wasting a Mutagen on the Vigor trait in the Training Tree? are mutagens easy to get (minus unique monster ones)? I found a mutagen on a Drowner in the Prologue.

I simply assume my laptop wouldn't be good enough to play this game. Seems like a pretty graphically intensive game.

If it is genuinely all you want on the 360 then I would say no. Not that the game is not good enough, its fantastic, but if you have waited this long, you could wait on your next laptop and play it on ultra spec, where it looks bloomin gorgeous

Salaadin

I take it the game has a storage system? I got like 200 weight worth of crafting materials on me.

Should i be wasting a Mutagen on the Vigor trait in the Training Tree? are mutagens easy to get (minus unique monster ones)? I found a mutagen on a Drowner in the Prologue.

Storage is in the tavern basement where the fist fighters are.

Which abilty you place a mutagen on doesn't impact its effectiveness. You're just looking for abilities with slots

About inventory management, don't bother to pick up more cloth or iron than you need. They're plentiful and not really useful for higher end gear crafting. Pick up all the alchemy ingredients though (some are a bit heavy like Nekker hearts, don't go overboard) and you should stay well below the limit.

michaelo3333

Neo Member
re: Shadow dithering

I have a 560ti so I suppose I'll try the Ubersampling and grin and bear the slowness.

bengraven

The new intro is really fucking awesome.

After having put the game down for an entire year, it pumped me up to just restart completely.

Shit like this would NEVER happen in an american game. I LOVE EASTERN EUROPEAN DEVELOPERS.

Also, the use of "niggard" and "niggardly" is hilariously weird. I know it's like that in the books, but the similarity freaks me out.

"Niggard" is a really really old word. It has nothing to do with the word you're likely thinking of. I remember GRRM used it a few times in Ice and Fire and people chuckled as well. Weird.

Top Bottom