• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition |OT| Bow low, you stand before a head crowned.

Salaadin

I wish Flotsam forest was real. I want to go there and sit in the grass, have a picnic, enjoy a nice lunch, and get eaten by an endrega.
Its seriously the best forest Ive seen in a game. Everything about it just feels right. Im on my 3rd playthrough now and it still impresses the shit out of me.

TedNindo

What I love about the witcher is that the things that are based on a medieval setting are far more authentic then in North American games.
This isn't another Tolkien inspired RPG. This is a setting inspired by medieval Europe and European folklore. Being European I love it. It al feels a lot closer to folklore I know and real medievel places I know.
It's less of a themepark. It just comes across as being a lot more authentic.
I also love how it's dark an uncensored. It's not some glorious place with wizards and knights.

Kyaw

I'm running Nvidia driver downscaling at like 30fps and that fixed the dithering problem by a lot.

No sharpening/in game AA, just SMAA Injector.

ThankeeSai

I'm just coming up to the end of Act 1 (I assume so anyway as I got a "point of no return" type speech option).

This is without doubt one of the best rpg's I've ever played, second only to Demon's Souls (that said, they are very different games).

The story is excellent, the characters believable, the combat is great, very fluid and satisfying. I love the alchemy and magic, the skill trees are great too as they allow you to really mix things up. Tying it all together is a great quest system. Love the way that each quest reads like a story, (i realise the games are based on books obviously), it's all very well put together, very detailed and very easy to follow.

The character information is very indepth and detailed too and just makes everything feel so real.

My favourite game of this year so far.

Complistic

re: Shadow dithering

I have a 560ti so I suppose I'll try the Ubersampling and grin and bear the slowness.

I have a 560ti as well. You are muuuuuuch better off turning off sharpness in the ini and trying your best to ignore it. It's not always there, it's usually only under certain lights.

Also every time I go through a door to a house the camera freaks out for a few seconds.

Same here. It appears to jerk suddenly from to the left and then re-centre for some utterly bizarre reason. I'm surprised that CDPR have never fixed it as your post proves it isn't an issue only with my game. Great game though even with the issues (the cinematic DOF effect also seems to cause a huge performance hit and actually looks worst with the EE version on my GTX 680).

Misterhbk

So I spent nearly my entire work day playing this game and I didn't want to stop. The opening cinematic was awesome and got me hooked right away. It took me a bit to get used to the combat. The tutorial helped but it wasn't until I'd gotten some practice that I really got the hang of it. The story hasn't really been anything to write home about (I am still very early in the game though) but the combat is just freaking brilliant.

Also, I love that the characters aren't afraid to throw out curse words. Makes it feel more real I suppose. Anyways, I am now off to work 3 hours early just so I can play this on the giant theater screen.

Okay, I'm not far at all...
just got on the boat, but my God, where the hell did that incredibly irritating American narrator come from?! :/ Sounded like something from an old saturday morning cartoon

ThankeeSai

just got on the boat, but my God, where the hell did that incredibly irritating American narrator come from?! :/ Sounded like something from an old saturday morning cartoon

Haha, I thought exactly the same...Very out of place, but still...I'll forgive it as it's such an awesome game.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

That's Dandelion. He's pure cheese, though his voice work is pretty terrible.

Karak

Same here. It appears to jerk suddenly from to the left and then re-centre for some utterly bizarre reason. I'm surprised that CDPR have never fixed it as your post proves it isn't an issue only with my game. Great game though even with the issues (the cinematic DOF effect also seems to cause a huge performance hit and actually looks worst with the EE version on my GTX 680).

This actually completely stopped me from playing the game. After hours of experiencing it I started to get motion sick. It is terrible in some places to the point of giving me a headache if I am moving from building to building too much. Really bizarre and rookie issue. Sadly I won't be returning to it:(

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Anyone that needs Prologue tips on Dark Difficulty:

-Each section of the prologue(after making choice during interrogation) will unequip any useful items from Geralt. You have at your disposal a replenished supply of 5 Bombs and 3 fire traps. Make sure to equip these in the inventory everytime I new section starts! The bombs and the traps are a huge help taking on the various groups of guards you face(ala the ballista, and the cathedral battles).

-Hit and run, this includes magic. You can kite enemies and burn them down. Set Yrrden traps(or item traps). But I had success with Axii, which a successful cast will turn an enemy on my side briefly, a very easy way to quickly dispatch two guards. Effective cycling of spells and considering cooldowns makes even the most outnumbered duels trifling. Sword use should only really be met with assured killing strokes, or when you have actual opportunity. Wading in for combo slashes is possible(Quen backing you up), but utilizing your other abilities makes a huge difference.

Dark has been an exciting and engaging way to experience the game. Hardly that challenging, with thoughtful intelligent play. Each hit you sustain is a death warning, one that you need take seriously. Love it!

Also, Vernon Roche is fucking pimp. Amazing game.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Really disliked Dandelion in Witcher 1 as well. Given his bard nature, I am not surprised he took the narration duties, but I really agree that his tone doesn't mesh with the events at play.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
He's an immature, cowardly bard. What else are you expecting from his voice work?

I thought it was damn perfect, having read the books. I also love how he writes the journals.

Bought this at launch last year twice got up to Flotsam but bailed out due to an uncontrollable backlog. Upto Flotsam again, 3rd times a charm.

I only got AC: Revelations and Legend of Grimrock in the playlist now as opposed to the 15 games i was playing at the same time last year.

Weird. Exact same thing happened to me. Got to Flotsam twice and then bailed because I couldn't give it the time and attention I felt it deserved.

I don't even know how far that is in the game, really, or how much cool stuff still awaits. Hopefully lots because I'm going to have to start that third playthrough soon.

Derrick01

Banned
Does the sound seem a little weirder for PC guys? Seems like voices especially are randomly low and then the next line they're shouting. Maybe it's just me.

Salaadin

He's an immature, cowardly bard. What else are you expecting from his voice work?

I thought it was damn perfect, having read the books. I also love how he writes the journals.

I think the voice is good but the delivery is off sometimes.
His game character is pretty in line with his book character. They did a good job there.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Does the sound seem a little weirder for PC guys? Seems like voices especially are randomly low and then the next line they're shouting. Maybe it's just me.

EE added in Dolby Surround support I think. An issue with that maybe?

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map

Yeah, I asked earlier in the thread if voices seemed a little too low. I haven't heard them extra loud though, they're just quiet for me.

I have no idea what the issue is, but something's definitely a bit off now.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Nah, his delivery is splendid. Comes off like the fresh faced plougher he is.

I would pay to have him added to Witcher 1's act consequence narratives.

It was a little jarring to me, at first, to hear American accents in a fantasy world like the Witcher. I've just been trained to link these settings with English accents but, obviously in a fictional fantasy universe, one makes as much sense as the other.

wiggleb0t

Banned
Love hate relationship.. Was having such a blast
6 months... Still can't play due to lockon/health bars not appearing regardless of which drivers or caps I have... Not even the 20GB EE fixed it :-(

50% of the time can't see enemies health/lockon cursor...
Really under personal circumstances with serious health issues and physically couldn't play for 6 months only to still have this issue really ticks me off... Might as well delete it and consider it a waste of $60

Ubersampling fixes it when set to 2 in the ini but that murders my 5970. :-(

Derrick01

Banned
Yeah, I asked earlier in the thread if voices seemed a little too low. I haven't heard them extra loud though, they're just quiet for me.

Yeah I got yelled at because the voices were too loud even though I didn't turn anything up. It's definitely a little weird and inconsistent now.

Complistic

Love hate relationship.. Was having such a blast
6 months... Still can't play due to lockon/health bars not appearing regardless of which drivers or caps I have... Not even the 20GB EE fixed it :-(

50% of the time can't see enemies health/lockon cursor...
Really under personal circumstances with serious health issues and physically couldn't play for 6 months only to still have this issue really ticks me off... Might as well delete it and consider it a waste of $60

Ubersampling fixes it when set to 2 in the ini but that murders my 5970. :-(

I'm assuming you tried completely uninstalling it (and all the config files) and reinstalling it and all the patches?

Why did Eurogamer say the new lighting was an "improvement"? I'm watching the gametrailers review right now and in no way this is an improvement.

Grymm

Banned
After trying the disable sharpening mentioned here am I just imagining a performance increase?

I also cleared out all my old saves before starting a new game at the same time I turned off sharpening and if nothing else the main menu shows up waaaaay faster now.

squidyj

I think this is where knowing the story of the witcher and having played the first game would help people.
I love Dandelion but he is not to be taken seriously, for starters his name is Dandelion, second of all he keeps making himself the main character

ThankeeSai

It's the same on the 360, too. I never have subtitles on in games like this, but have had to in this instance as I was missing too much dialogue.

Places I've noticed it are in the Prologue when guards are reloading Ballista's, I can barely hear any speaking above the noise of the reloading. Also at the Inn at Flotsam, downstairs in the fighting section, again, I can barely hear dialogue over the noise of the fighting.

There have been other instances too where dialogue has been far too quiet, just in general, but the examples above are the standout ones.

tauke

Much INI tweaking and minor overclocking for my CPU greatly improves my second playthrough with the game.

Just done with most of the sidequests in Flotsam and how I could overlook the
Hung Over
quest in my first playthough. Still need to look for the ingredients to remove the tattoo.

The cats, dogs and pigs sure add to the atmosphere to Flotsam.

michaelo3333

Neo Member

Yeah the voices definitely seem low in the mix.

It always has been low for me as well. I noticed they added a separate dialog volume slider from the sound effects and the music.

Not sure if that is new in the EE or some earlier patch because I haven't played in ages until recently but it definitely wasn't there in the beginning.

So guys, I installed the inject SMAA files in the witcher folder (I suppose thats what people were talking about here, becuase its what I found with a google search) and tweaked the ini file to take off sharpenning. Sadly I didnt take a shot from the same place to compare, but looking to some old floatsam screens I did, It seems a little better.
Ive taken a shot with the tweaks, does it look like its working?
witcher22012-04-2021-cgo73.png

tauke

So guys, I installed the inject SMAA files in the witcher folder (I suppose thats what people were talking about here, becuase its what I found with a google search) and tweaked the ini file to take off sharpenning. Sadly I didnt take a shot from the same place to compare, but looking to some old floatsam screens I did, It seems a little better.
Ive taken a shot with the tweaks, does it look like its working?

SMAA is working in your shot but I can't comment on the sharpening as I never try that tweak.

Since you are using the SMAA injector, the default hotkey to toggle it is Pause button. You can see the difference in game by toggling it (although the game will actually pause but the effect is noticeable).

EatChildren

I haven't tried the SMAA injector. Any comparison shots between it and TW2's vanilla FXAA? If it's better, I'll make the switch.

Im using ubersampling and boy it looks beautiful, cinematic even. It look so good I was willing to sacrifice 20 FPS for it, I get about 45 now. sooogood.gif

Ok, I just found out about the Enhanced Edition, because for some reason my game doesn't auto update and I haven't been reading a lot of game news because I didn't think anything was coming out.

I went to the website and I can manually update my game to the enhanced edition, but it says it's almost 10gbs? Just for two extra missions, is that right? Seems like it's almost downloading the entire game again.

Salaadin

Ok, I just found out about the Enhanced Edition, because for some reason my game doesn't auto update and I haven't been reading a lot of game news because I didn't think anything was coming out.

I went to the website and I can manually update my game to the enhanced edition, but it says it's almost 10gbs? Just for two extra missions, is that right? Seems like it's almost downloading the entire game again.

Its that big.

Redone assets, 3-4 hours of content, new cutscenes.

SMAA is working in your shot but I can't comment on the sharpening as I never try that tweak.

Since you are using the SMAA injector, the default hotkey to toggle it is Pause button. You can see the difference in game by toggling it (although the game will actually pause but the effect is noticeable).

Thanks a lot, didnt try to toggle with the pause button, will try tonight.

Top Bottom