• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Performance Thread [Enhanced Edition Patch - New content & 100+ fixes]

Nekrono

Man this game really works your videocard, my 6950 usually gets around ~70C even less with a few games but with TW2 it gets around ~80C, only game I experienced this before is Metro 2033.

I usually don't like it to reach the 80C mark but with these graphics I don't mind!.

RS4-

Ok, did some oc'ing to my CPU and got a pretty good frame rate upwards up to 60 in Flotsam. Granted I've disabled quite a few things and ran it in 720p windowed just to see how it'd hold up. I'm sure I'd be able to enable some of those things again and maintain the framerate.

VXZxW.jpg

Q6600 clocked to 2.8Ghz.
Stock 2GB 6950.

Ran it on high settings at 1080 fullscreen and yeah, there's no way I'm putting up with the bad frame rate.

wonder if 'indoors' means inside towns. Cuz I'm getting around ~25 fps in town, but a good 30-45 fps out side of town (ch1). Don't notice any big changes inside buildings.

JudgeN

loganclaws said:
My goodness, I really think we need to stop using any sort of qualitative adjectives to describe quantifiable performance. Very smoothly for me is 60 frames with the occasional hitch once in a blue moon. I would describe 30-40 frames as mediocre and near unplayable.

Still waiting for ATi drivers... *sigh*

I agree with this post, using words like "Rock solid" to describe a range of FPS that isn't locked 60 bugs me. I rather just wait till next gen of video cards/patches and see if I can get locked 60 FPS.

*twiddles thumbs waiting patiently"

bengraven

I'm getting great framerates in the game, but I keep crashing in Flotsam.

It only happens when loading a new chunk. Could this be a caching issue?

Nekrono

loganclaws said:
I would describe 30-40 frames as mediocre and near unplayable.
VisanidethDM said:
Your life must be hell, man.
It depends, in some games ~30-40 FPS is really choppy and stuttery, some even have a 'slow down' effect like SFIV (PC), in those games it's 60 FPS or bust for me, but in some others 30 FPS can be really smooth like Crysis or Witcher 2.

mileS

I'm surprised everybody still has Vignette turned on... My guess is some people don't even know what it really does. What a stupid feature IMO.

cackhyena said:
Bloom looks awful.

No way, I can't imagine this game without the bloom.

This game is running really nicely through Chapter1 so far on my mid-range AMD machine. Maybe it's because I'm running at 720p, but whatever.

Is Ubersampling pretty much "Take PR-worthy screenshots" mode?

cyen

mileS said:
I'm surprised everybody still has Vignette turned on... My guess is some people don't even know what it really does. What a stupid feature IMO.

To be honest i dont know what´s the function...please enlight me!

Salaadin

cyen said:
Yeah me too. The description of it isnt the greatest. Ive just been too lazy to turn it off and take comparison shots because Im too antsy to play.

Nekrono said:
It depends, in some games ~30-40 FPS is really choppy and stuttery, some even have a 'slow down' effect like SFIV (PC), in those games it's 60 FPS or bust for me, but in some others 30 FPS can be really smooth like Crysis or Witcher 2.
Constant 60fps for fighting games is mandatory.

cyen said:
It darkens the edges of the screen so you can focus in the middle, pretty pointless.

cyen

I´ve noticed that the edges where dark but didnt know that there was an option to disable it. Thanks fot the tip!

Is there a way to lock the frame rate to 30FPS. I get about 50~60FPS in the forest areas and inside caves and houses, but the frame rate take a nose dive in Flotsam.

My Computer:
Phenom II X2 545 @ 3Ghz
Geforce GTX 460 1GB
4GB DDR3

mugwhump

mugwhump said:
I have lines running along the ground in a grid-like pattern, maybe every 4 feet or so. Looks like the ground is made up of large minecraft blocks, lol. Got everything on minimum, what do I change to get rid of it?

Specs:
CPU: dual-core i5 @ 2.53
lol
GPU: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470
lol
RAM: 4 Gigabutts
Other shit: pretty meh

Actually there's probably a handful of things I can turn above minimum, better experiment.

OK, played with the settings. Can't get rid of it. :(

Here's a screenie:

witcher22011-05-2012-51-45-69.jpg

GPU stuffs
ATIMobilityRadeonHD5470.png

Haven't heard of anyone else having this problem. Don't think my graphics card is overheating, either.

mugwhump said:
OK, played with the settings. Can't get rid of it. :(

Here's a screenie:

GPU stuffs

Haven't heard of anyone else having this problem. Don't think my graphics card is overheating, either.

Do you have Texture Downscaling set to None? If not, do so.

If that's not the problem, then it looks like the game is only displaying the extremely-low LOD version of the terrain. Try bumping up the LOD distance.

If that doesn't work, then maybe it's a driver problem or something. I dunno lol

rogue74

GreenBikerDude said:
Is there a way to lock the frame rate to 30FPS. I get about 50~60FPS in the forest areas and inside caves and houses, but the frame rate take a nose dive in Flotsam.

My Computer:
Phenom II X2 545 @ 3Ghz
Geforce GTX 460 1GB
4GB DDR3

How do you get 50 - 60? I have the same video card and a Athlon X4 quad core. What settings to you run at and what driver version are you using?

TheExodu5

Banned
EternalGamer said:
Do you guys never play console games ever?

I play console games, but 45fps is probably my low point on the PC as well. There's a reason for this: the mouse. The mouse is fast and responsive, which makes lower framerates feel very sluggish. If I were using a controller, 30fps feels fine, but I can't do it with a mouse.

TheExodu5 said:
I play console games, but 45fps is probably my low point on the PC as well. There's a reason for this: the mouse. The mouse is fast and responsive, which makes lower framerates feel very sluggish. If I were using a controller, 30fps feels fine, but I can't do it with a mouse.

I guess I can understand that for an FPS, but RPGS are not exactly twitch. Anyway, I play this game with a 360 controller because it seems to work awesome that way.

xXJonoXx

I haven't really seen much discussion with this game and GPU temps.. it seems to be killing mine (upwards of 80c). Most games I top out at 75c. Any tips to reduce temps while playing this game?

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
VisanidethDM said:
Then I weep for you, because you're missing out on a catastrophical number of awesome games.

Oh really? Like what? Remember, relativity is a bitch, so whatever you think is a great game might not interest me in the least. In any case I don't want to derail the thread, suffice it to say that I definitely am not missing out on any great games what so ever and my standard, as it should be for all gamers imo, is 60fps or bust.

Then again we are living at a time when people are complaining about not being able to use a 360 controller on PC... /sad

xXJonoXx said:
I haven't really seen much discussion with this game and GPU temps.. it seems to be killing mine (upwards of 80c). Most games I top out at 75c. Any tips to reduce temps while playing this game?
75°C-80°C? That's normal I'd say. You should be concerned if you get 90°C or more.

Manager

RS4- said:
Ok, did some oc'ing to my CPU and got a pretty good frame rate upwards up to 60 in Flotsam. Granted I've disabled quite a few things and ran it in 720p windowed just to see how it'd hold up. I'm sure I'd be able to enable some of those things again and maintain the framerate.

http://i.imgur.com/VXZxW.jpg

Q6600 clocked to 2.8Ghz.
Stock 2GB 6950.

Ran it on high settings at 1080 fullscreen and yeah, there's no way I'm putting up with the bad frame rate.

I have a Q9450 @ 3.4ghz, 6950 2gb stock, and I max out everything except übersampling in 1080p. The framerate obviously isn't 60 but I think it's good enough.

We have the same setup more or less, not sure why you'd skip so much eye candy.

Minamu

Anyone else getting some sort of controller lag when using the xbox 360 wired controller? I've only played the lengthy tutorial but camera movement and attacks seem to be a bit sluggish. Or maybe they just activate on key/stick release for some reason? Also, sometimes the right trigger won't put up the block in time or at all, maybe only after a bad strong attack. Is that on purpose? Seems responsive outside of fights from what I've seen so far. The controller is not broken so it can't be that.

Narag

Minamu said:
Anyone else getting some sort of controller lag when using the xbox 360 wired controller? I've only played the lengthy tutorial but camera movement and attacks seem to be a bit sluggish. Or maybe they just activate on key/stick release for some reason? Also, sometimes the right trigger won't put up the block in time or at all, maybe only after a bad strong attack. Is that on purpose? Seems responsive outside of fights from what I've seen so far. The controller is not broken so it can't be that.
You need vigor to parry, right? Maybe that but ive had similar issues. The day zero patch was to have pad improvements but I've yet to see the patch materialize.

Minamu said:
V-Sync and/or running out of vigor (stamina).

Minamu

Oh didn't think about vigor. Will have to check on Sunday night (away from my own pc). Not sure if vsync is on or off at the moment.

abunai

Guess it's time to upgrade my computer, after all.
Unless ATI drivers pull a miracle, hah

720p
Medium settings
40-50fps through the prologue, 25fps when i got to flotsam

C2D 2.7GHz, HD4850, 4GB ram. Served me well.

bender

What time is it?
I'm weak. I picked up a GTX 570 today. The GiantBomb Quick Look drove me over the edge.

I'm playing on High Settings (no tweaks) and getting around 40-60FPS (Q9550 stock) @ 1920 x 1080. I'm getting a strange banding/distortion when 3D objects hit the edge of my screen. Very noticeable with fingers/hair. I tried to take some screen grabs.

311sw1j.png

28wpdw2.png

2cftrv6.png

Any ideas?

Tokubetsu said:
I check this thread everyday for new AMD drivers announcement =/

Me too. By the time it gets out, I'll have finished the game. However, I won't have regretted it. Game is great even unoptimized.

It will just provide all that much more incentive to enjoy a second play through when they fix stuff.

52club

Not a good start, got a Feature Transfer error when trying to install the game from the DVDs. Switched over to an external drive and so far so good, but man I would be one pissed off MF if I hadn't bought my external for my old netbook a couple of months ago.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
bender said:
I'm weak. I picked up a GTX 570 today. The GiantBomb Quick Look drove me over the edge.

I'm playing on High Settings (no tweaks) and getting around 40-60FPS (Q9550 stock) @ 1920 x 1080. I'm getting a strange banding/distortion when 3D objects hit the edge of my screen. Very noticeable with fingers/hair. I tried to take some screen grabs.

http://i54.tinypic.com/311sw1j.png[/IMG
[IMG]http://i55.tinypic.com/28wpdw2.png[/IMG
[IMG]http://i55.tinypic.com/2cftrv6.png[/IMG

Any ideas?[/QUOTE]

I had the same didn't really look for a solution but would like one. Always happened to the edges during cutscenes

Kyaw

I had the same thing but on a bigger scale. It looks like graphic card artifacts that happen when your card is unstable or overheating.

mxgt

Banned
Got a weird issue where I play for an hour or two and then when I enter or exit a building the game hangs and when I manage to get back in my fps has dropped from 60 to unplayable levels.

It stays like that until I reboot my PC too. No idea what's causing it.

mugwhump

How About No said:
Do you have Texture Downscaling set to None? If not, do so.

If that's not the problem, then it looks like the game is only displaying the extremely-low LOD version of the terrain. Try bumping up the LOD distance.

If that doesn't work, then maybe it's a driver problem or something. I dunno lol
Yeah, tried both of those :/

bender

What time is it?
Wallach said:
Usually an AA artifact. Checked to see if it is still there when AA is not enabled?

I'm stumped. I disabled AA in the game in via the NVidia control panel with the same results. I've also dropped my settings down to low and am having the same issue. I've also updated to the 257.27 drivers and uninstalled the 3d Vision driver. I'm just curious if I got a bum video card or if this is normal.

I guess I could pop in my 4870 512MB and see if I'm still having the issue.

Exuro

Corky said:
I had the same didn't really look for a solution but would like one. Always happened to the edges during cutscenes
Happens for me as well. Just assumed it was an issue with the game.

Top Bottom