• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Performance Thread [Enhanced Edition Patch - New content & 100+ fixes]

WARP10CK

Banned
calza said:
Is Witcher 2 the new Crysis when it comes to be a benchmarking tool?

No because it seems that there is still a lot of bugs that is causing this.
And some people have posted really expensive specs and still it runs like crap so I think after a couple of patches it should run optimal.

Durante

Durante said:
I'm in a download loop with the Troll Trouble DLC. It seems the validation fails every single time and it starts to redownload it... forever. Any idea how to fix this?
I tried the various fixes proposed all over the internet for this:
- manually re-running the patcher and the validator
- deleting all the download data and clearing the registry entries
- rebooting (!)

But I still get the same behaviour. This is very annoying.

Dmax3901

Just started Chapter 2 and suddenly some sounds and the music has stopped working. Dialogue and footsteps seem to work but nothing else. Quite a dramatic opening too so it's really annoying.

Any suggestions?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Durante said:
- rebooting (!)

I tried for almost an hour to download that 7mb dlc. Including messing about in regedit removing registry files associated with other dlcs that were supposedly messing things up. I have up after that one hour.

I have a 3 years old computer, but a very good one: Q9300 quad core 2.5Ghz with 4 gb of ram (i have another 4gb to put inside...), W7, I only updated my video card because my old one is dead with a new GTX560Ti 1Gb. I never believe to run The Witcher 2 on ultra but this is happened guys!

look at this! :D AWESOME!

http://i56.tinypic.com/nps0zt.jpg

panda21

so whenever i try to start the game now it just opens the witcher launcher thing and has that wolf head or whatever it is on the screen, and just sits there and does nothing...

how do i witcher?

thelurkinghorror said:
I have a 3 years old computer, but a very good one: Q9300 quad core 2.5Ghz with 4 gb of ram (i have another 4gb to put inside...), W7, I only updated my video card because my old one is dead with a new GTX560Ti 1Gb. I never believe to run The Witcher 2 on ultra but this is happened guys!

look at this! :D AWESOME!

http://i56.tinypic.com/nps0zt.jpg
How many FPS are you getting?

Minsc

Gold Member
Durante said:
- rebooting (!)

This worked for me, and I now have Polish VO, but I was getting that exact error "Error Writing File," don't know if the error you're getting is named or not.

I'm guessing it's because the DLC was incorrectly labeled as english VA, and now it seems fixed. All three of my DLCs (Troll Trouble, Polish voice-over, and Polish subtitles and text) have green checkmarks next to them.

I noticed for the VO DLC it did take like 2-3 minutes to register after it download, maybe it was doing some behind the scenes copying?

Edit I also re-verified my Steam download last night, and it found something wrong, so it downloaded another 9GBs... maybe they changed something?

natkingcoleslaw

Neo Member
hteng said:
man i'm playing on my G73jw laptop and this game of a beast really kills my fps, even at low settings. At towns i can get anywhere from 20-30 fps, some cutscenes i get down to the 15-20s, so sad :( i already OCed my GPU too.

GPU: GTX460m
CPU: i7-740QM
Ram: 8G

edit: running on low spec, 1080p

I have the exact same specs (but i7 2630). But I am able to run it at high (lights and shadows) at 1400x900 something with ssao and ubersampling disabled and every thing else enabled, with decent frame rates. I have only finished 70% of chapter 1 though. How far ahead are you?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Truant said:
The following had no effect on my performance:

- Disabling or uninstalling 3D Vision drivers
- The new SLI bits
- Changing around settings and resolution. The only thing that affects performance is Uber.

same for me, settled with running single gpu and got between 45-60 throughout most of the game

Ryuuga

Banned
2011-05-19_00005ku3v.jpg

2011-05-19_00006dn9v.jpg

2011-05-19_000232n85.jpg

Here are a few pics I took with Ubersampling off. It'd be nice to play with Ubersampling on at a stable rate though. I figure I'll wait for the Nvidia performance increases as well but the game looks and runs so great I don't even mind at this point.

NovaXx

Neo Member
Hey everyone, just wondering if someone could tell me how I can get the most out of my pc and Witcher 2 with the following specs:

i7 2630QM
ATI Radeon 6770M (1GB)
6GB DDR3 System Memory

I'm not expecting the amazing visuals I've been seeing, as I am aware that my PC is underpowered for a game such as The Witcher 2 but I'm hopeful that I can get it to look decent.

Thanks and I greatly appreciate the help.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Vestal said:
You know u can OC that 8500 on stock cooling to about 3.8ghz right? I oced the 8400, running it at 3.8ghz

Suggestion sir which helped me.. Uninstall catalyst drivers use driversweeper afterwards then install the latest drivers..

It helped me with my 5770(still pissed i cant xfire though)
OC to 3.8ghz on Stock cooling on a 8400? Did you test it out with Prime95 and stuff to ensure it's stable? Because if you can get 3.8 on a 8400 then it shouldn't be too hard for me clock my 8500 at 3.8 on stock, considering the 8500 is supposed to be easier to overclock due to a higher multiplier. I have fiddled around some before and got it OC'd to 3.2 but never beyond that.

Edit: Just read that 3.6ghz OC is absolutely (safe enough) safe on stock cooling on a E8500 cpu, suppose I could give that a try and see if my framerate improves :).

Edit #2: Doing even more research it seems 3.6 is a golden OC on stock cooling, gah, if only I had found this out earlier. Totally gonna fiddle with it when I get home, long and boring process with torture tests and temp checking but hey, if it works it'll be worth it :).

Minsc

Gold Member
NovaXx said:
Hey everyone, just wondering if someone could tell me how I can get the most out of my pc and Witcher 2 with the following specs:

i7 2630QM
ATI Radeon 6770M (1GB)
6GB DDR3 System Memory

I'm not expecting the amazing visuals I've been seeing, as I am aware that my PC is underpowered for a game such as The Witcher 2 but I'm hopeful that I can get it to look decent.

Thanks and I greatly appreciate the help.

I think you'll fall in line with low/medium at 30fps, going by 6770M = 9800GT. Hopefully a driver/witcher2 patch down the road will bump that up to a more comfortable medium at 30+ fps, but you basically have the min spec GPU, so you can't expect too much. There's a link in the OP towards the top for optimizing on laptops, that may help a little.

TheExodu5

Banned
Low/medium, but since you have 1GB of video memory, make sure you set the texture downscalling to off and texture video memory to high!

NovaXx

Neo Member
Minsc said:
I think you'll fall in line with low/medium at 30fps, going by 6770M = 9800GT. Hopefully a driver/witcher2 patch down the road will bump that up to a more comfortable medium at 30+ fps, but you basically have the min spec GPU, so you can't expect too much. There's a link in the OP towards the top for optimizing on laptops, that may help a little.

Thank you, greatly appreciate it.

Coldsnap

What do you guys prefer awesome setting with 30-40fps
or
Less awesome settings with 60fps

I'm new to this whole PC gaming thing and I think I like 30-40fps just because I'm use to it on my console. 60fps is awesome but unless its a fps I would rather go with visual fidelity.

Salaadin

Coldsnap said:
or

I'm new to this whole PC gaming thing and I think I like 30-40fps just because I'm use to it on my console. 60fps is awesome but unless its a fps I would rather go with visual fidelity.

If you dont mind the 30-40, stick with 30-40. Keep in mind that when it rains, you might drop below that.

Coldsnap said:
or

If you can fight with smooth moves without hiccups it's ok!

suikodan

I got my share of problems since I got my CE version of The Witcher 2. DVD read errors and activation problems. Another DVD drive and the recent patch helped me past that.

But I still have some issues!

1- When I "want" to start the game, it takes a while before I see the splash screens. I can wait between 30-60 secs. Any way of resolving that?

2- When I'm playing, the game will randomly go back to the Desktop. It doesn't crash but acts the same as if I would press Windows+D. I click on the wolf icon to go back into the game but it's quite annoying.

Win7 64 bits
ATI Radeon HD 6850
Playing with wireless 360 pad.

Thanks for your help!

Celcius

°Temp. member
I thought this game was going to be brutal, but I'm running everything maxed out except ubersampling @ 1080p and the game runs butter smooth (unsure of my exact fps).

My settings:
i7 930 @ 4Ghz
6GB ram
GTX 580 @ stock
266.58 drivers without 3D vision

hteng said:
man i'm playing on my G73jw laptop and this game of a beast really kills my fps, even at low settings. At towns i can get anywhere from 20-30 fps, some cutscenes i get down to the 15-20s, so sad :( i already OCed my GPU too.

GPU: GTX460m
CPU: i7-740QM
Ram: 8G

edit: running on low spec, 1080p

I have almost the same laptop and have poor framerate. I am really hoping this upcoming patch helps. I have a feeling the game will look great once optimised.

running at 720p helped

Chiggs said:
Reading those patch notes make me very happy they're addressing the indoor performance. Outside, the game hums along nicely (especially since I upped the texture allocation budget in the config file).

Indoors, however...especially in Chapter 2. Laaaawdy, it's bad.

oh NICE!

yeah completely baffled by indoors being so slow vs outdoors.

xXJonoXx

Just finished installing and playing 20 minutes of Witcher 2.

My PCs specs are:

i7 930 @ 2.8Ghz
4GB RAM
Windows 7 64-bit
GeForce GTX 460 1GB
275.27 Beta Drivers (3D Vision not installed)

The game runs very smoothly, average FPS was 33.4 after the first 20 minutes of gameplay. High 40s most of the time.

However, my card's temperature topped out at 88C.. is this too high?

Salaadin

xXJonoXx said:

My PCs specs are:

i7 930 @ 2.8Ghz
4GB RAM
Windows 7 64-bit
GeForce GTX 460 1GB

The game runs very smoothly, average FPS was 33.4 after the first 20 minutes of gameplay. High 40s most of the time.

Im not sure what the ideal GPU temp is but I dont think mine gets that hot. I do have a fan curve set up in MSI afterburner that gradually raises my fan speed as the temp goes higher. I want to say that my card (ATI 5850) tops off at 67C during TW2 but Im not too sure, I can check tonight.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
BoobPhysics101 said:
Not everyone can have Sandy Bridge and a 6970M :p

At this point it's really hard to maximize and measure gains with this game because despite all the optimization and tweaking, it seems to randomly go 'fuck off' and run whatever way it wants. There are ways to minimize that, but the only sure fix is new drivers and patches at this point.
I just wish Sandy Bridge wasn't locked out of ThrottleStop. Unclewebb says there's nothing he can do about it.

Achamian said:
how well can you run it? i have an msi gx660r. i5 460m, 5870m & 6gb ram and can run with high settings (ssao off, aa off, vsync & tb thru d3doverrider) @ 1600x900 with only very occasional drops below 30fps. using 11.5a rc3 drivers. only dropped from 1080p as occasional drops to low 20s became annoying.

if anything your laptop should perform slightly better as better cpu / more ram? is the 5870 the version with the slower vram perhaps?

Well, the 6970M is close to 50% faster than the 5870M.

I'm running it on the 1080p Ultra preset, these settings:

tw2-cfg.png

I get occasional drops below 30fps, but it's worth it.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
xXJonoXx said:

My PCs specs are:

i7 930 @ 2.8Ghz
4GB RAM
Windows 7 64-bit
GeForce GTX 460 1GB

My goodness, I really think we need to stop using any sort of qualitative adjectives to describe quantifiable performance. Very smoothly for me is 60 frames with the occasional hitch once in a blue moon. I would describe 30-40 frames as mediocre and near unplayable.

Still waiting for ATi drivers... *sigh*

Atilac

When I try to access the menu in the game, sometimes it freezes for like 30 seconds before loading in, whats up with that?

loganclaws said:
My goodness, I really think we need to stop using any sort of qualitative adjectives to describe quantifiable performance. Very smoothly for me is 60 frames with the occasional hitch once in a blue moon. I would describe 30-40 frames as mediocre and near unplayable.
I honestly, totally agree. :lol

45 fps is my bare minimum.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Game runs like dog shit for me, even on medium. I'm guessing it's my ATI card, since that's typically the source of all my computer woes.

Specs are:

QX6850 processor
4gb DDR3
Radeon 5870

There's so many instances where the game just gets retardedly choppy (like 20-25 fps). To the point where I've lost interest in even playing.

knitoe

Gully State said:
Motion blur makes low framerate a lot more tolerable for me. It's surprisingly smooth at high20's low 30's at least for me.
Motion blur makes me nauseous and want to throw up. I need to disable it asap.

loganclaws said:

Still waiting for ATi drivers... *sigh*
Locked 30fps > 60fps with hitches.

pahamrick

Chacranajxy said:
Game runs like dog shit for me, even on medium. I'm guessing it's my ATI card, since that's typically the source of all my computer woes.

Specs are:

QX6850 processor
4gb DDR3
Radeon 5870

There's so many instances where the game just gets retardedly choppy (like 20-25 fps). To the point where I've lost interest in even playing.

It could be your processor. I've got an i7920 clocked to 3.6, and when I disable crossfire and run a single 5870 the lowest fps I hit was 33.

RedSwirl

Has anybody else sometimes had a problem hearing characters' voices over the background noise?

I missed a lot of the conversations going on during the battle in the Prologue, and I can barely hear things people say at the Inn in Flotsam. It really sucks this game doesn't have a separate voice volume slider. That same problem actually made me miss the ENTIRE storyline of Far Cry 2. Anybody else figured out a way around this?

Danny Dudekisser

pahamrick said:
It could be your processor. I've got an i7920 clocked to 3.6, and when I disable crossfire and run a single 5870 the lowest fps I hit was 33.

Hmm... it is like 4 years old. It's clocked at 3.0ghz, but I could just OC it to probably like 4 without killing it. At this point, the important thing is being able to run the game, not my old processor's lifespan.

JWong

Banned
Ugh, sometimes when I "transition" areas, it just freezes to load textures and stuff.

Anyone know what's the setting that does this? Is it the fault of my harddrive?

It's definitely not the rest of my rig.

pahamrick

Chacranajxy said:
Hmm... it is like 4 years old. It's clocked at 3.0ghz, but I could just OC it to probably like 4 without killing it. At this point, the important thing is being able to run the game, not my old processor's lifespan.

Just started up with crossfire disabled to do a quick test. Ran around Flotsam and the outside area and forest. Lowest the FPS counter hit was 35, was pretty steadily in the 45-50 area. I should note I'm using the latest hotfix drivers and 11.5 CAP1.

Using the Ultra preset, only changes I made was to change the following:

Texture Memory Size: Very large
LOD Distance: Far
Bloom: Disabled
Motion Blur: Disabled
Vignette: Disabled
Ubersampling: Disabled
Vertical Sync: Disabled (Using D3DOverrider for that but all vsync was disabled for the test)

Bloom, motion blur, and vignette I disabled simply because I prefer the look.

--Edit--

Forgot to mention that's at 1920x1080.

Danny Dudekisser

pahamrick said:
Just started up with crossfire disabled to do a quick test. Ran around Flotsam and the outside area and forest. Lowest the FPS counter hit was 35, was pretty steadily in the 45-50 area. I should note I'm using the latest hotfix drivers and 11.5 CAP1.

Using the Ultra preset, only changes I made was to change the following:

Texture Memory Size: Very large
LOD Distance: Far
Bloom: Disabled
Motion Blur: Disabled
Vignette: Disabled
Ubersampling: Disabled
Vertical Sync: Disabled (Using D3DOverrider for that but all vsync was disabled for the test)

Bloom, motion blur, and vignette I disabled simply because I prefer the look.

--Edit--

Forgot to mention that's at 1920x1080.

Seems pretty conclusive, then. I think I'll try overclocking it to like 3.5 or 3.6ghz first and then give it another shot. I'd really like to play the game, just... not when it's running like it has been.

bryehn

I've got a brand new crappy laptop from Dell (CORE i3 (2.4GHz I think), 4GB RAM, integrated Intel GFX), can I Play this game at 25-30 fps?

Hulud

bryehn said:
I've got a brand new crappy laptop from Dell (CORE i3 (2.4GHz I think), 4GB RAM, integrated Intel GFX), can I Play this game at 25-30 fps?
Absolutely not. I can't imagine this game running at all on integrated graphics much less at that framerate.

Coldsnap said:
Not bad getting 45fps with my GTX 560 TI and 2500k Ultra settings with only SSOA, bloom, Draw, and ubersampling. I think I might be able to turn on the draw distance. Anyways, really happy with my computer performance and the nvidia beta drivers just in time.

I have this same card (with an i7 and 6GB RAM), and I'm running Ultra, SSAO on, Max AA, bloom & gameplay DOF off for aesthetic reasons. I'm also getting about 45 FPS most of the time in Flotsam and the forest. You say you have Ubersampling on, though?

Top Bottom