• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Performance Thread [Enhanced Edition Patch - New content & 100+ fixes]

Zeliard

rogue74 said:
After reading more of this thread and all the workarounds, I bit the bullet and bought the game. I will be trying it out later tonight.

Question about 3D Vision. I see that uninstalling this gives huge frame rate boosts. In Control Panel, I have two options, 3D Vison Controller Driver and 3D Vison Driver. Do I need to uninstall both of them?

They're useless if you don't use 3D so you may as well.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Reading those patch notes make me very happy they're addressing the indoor performance. Outside, the game hums along nicely (especially since I upped the texture allocation budget in the config file).

Indoors, however...especially in Chapter 2. Laaaawdy, it's bad.

hteng

Banned
man i'm playing on my G73jw laptop and this game of a beast really kills my fps, even at low settings. At towns i can get anywhere from 20-30 fps, some cutscenes i get down to the 15-20s, so sad :( i already OCed my GPU too.

GPU: GTX460m
CPU: i7-740QM
Ram: 8G

edit: running on low spec, 1080p

xXJonoXx

Did anyone else order this from Amazon as a preorder? Did you get your Ultimate Swordsman Suit DLC bonus? I never got it, so I sent them an email and they sent me a code that is 16 characters long. However, that doesn't fit. Anyone also have this problem from Amazon?

Slo

I am having SEVERE problems running the game. When the characters are modeled, all I get are silouttes and an orange globe. Like there are no textures on ANYTHING. Any ideas?

Edit: What I mean is I can see loading screens just fine, and the HUD is there, but the world and characters are almost completely absent.

AgentOtaku said:
Guessing game is heavy on da CPU? ...I dropped the res to 1024x768 and framerate jumped up 20fps on avg!

That means you're GPU limited, not CPU limited. If resolution goes down, it places more load on CPU and less on GPU. Opposite is true as well: higher the resolution, the more load on GPU and less on CPU.

hteng said:
man i'm playing on my G73jw laptop and this game of a beast really kills my fps, even at low settings. At towns i can get anywhere from 20-30 fps, some cutscenes i get down to the 15-20s, so sad :( i already OCed my GPU too.

GPU: GTX460m
CPU: i7-740QM
Ram: 8G

edit: running on low spec, 1080p

Follow my laptop guide in the original post, it'll help a lot.

Set it to High settings, then turn SSAO off, Depth of Field for Gameplay, Cinematic, and Cutscenes off, Antialiasing off, and set Shadows to Medium (optional).

Also, make sure you're using the new beta drivers, make sure 3D Vision is uninstalled, and set Anisotropic to 8x or less.

BoobPhysics101 said:
That means you're GPU limited, not CPU limited. If resolution goes down, it places more load on CPU and less on GPU. Opposite is true as well: higher the resolution, the more load on GPU and less on CPU.

Set it to High settings, then turn SSAO off, Depth of Field for Gameplay, Cinematic, and Cutscenes off, Antialiasing off, and set Shadows to Medium (optional).

Also, make sure you're using the new beta drivers, make sure 3D Vision is uninstalled, and set Anisotropic to 8x or less.

I did everything in the guide and only gained like 5-10 frames at 720p. Honestly not worth it for loosing DoF/Motion Blur, which REALLY help the look IMHO.

RedSwirl

By the way, is something wrong if it sometimes takes like 20 seconds for the pause menu to show up when I pause the game?

One thing I'd like CD Projekt to maybe change is make it so that when I back out of the inventory or map, it brings me back to the pause menu instead of resuming the game.

The Hermit

jett said:
I want to play me some Witcher ;_;

Ran FRAPS, runs at 11fps outside the tent on medium settings...lol. :(

I feel you :(

Anyway, how would a GTX260 perform in best case cenario? I want to know what I should upgrade first...
Also, how do I unninstal the 3D drivers?

TheExodu5

Banned
cj_iwakura said:
Manageable. Already finished the tutorial.

You sure you didn't mean 8800? The 8400GS only manages around 40fps in Counter-Strike: Source. It's about 1/6th the speed of the 8800GT, and people are struggling to run this game with even that. By all accounts the 8400GS should only manage about 3-5fps in this game.

Really interested in getting this game. How well could I run it with these specs?

AMD Athlon 64X2 Dual
5000+ Core Processor
2.6ghz
3 Gigs of ram
ATI Radeon HD 4770

TheExodu5

Banned
FlawlessCowboy said:
Really interested in getting this game. How well could I run it with these specs?

AMD Athlon 64X2 Dual
5000+ Core Processor
2.6ghz
3 Gigs of ram
ATI Radeon HD 4770

Not very well...that PC would be below minimum specs, sadly. If you have a high tolerance for low framerates, you could probably get through it, but I would expect dips below 20fps fairly regularly.

Wallach

FlawlessCowboy said:

AMD Athlon 64X2 Dual
5000+ Core Processor
2.6ghz
3 Gigs of ram
ATI Radeon HD 4770

Truth be told, it would get mauled. I would not force the issue as it will impact your first experience with the game too much. Wait until you can upgrade.

hteng

Banned
BoobPhysics101 said:

cool cool, will try it, the only thing i wanted to look nice are the textures, which with high compression looks like shit. thought it was impacting my performance but when i switch between none and high, there little affect on fps.

Thought I would update. Uninstalled 3D drivers and it certainly made the fps more stable. Running between 28-40 with it usually hovering around 30 fps for most of the time. Using ULTRA settings with Uber off obviously. Using D3DOverrider, AA is on, SSAO is off. All Motion Blur and Depth of Field is off. Running at 1440x900, on a stock Q6600 with 4 gig RAM and 460GTX 1gb. Had a few problems with stealth but other than that it has been nice and smooth.

Edit: Also I am impressed with how quietly my PC is running now since uninstalling the 3D drivers, doesn't sound like I am sitting next to a jet engine anymore.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
BoobPhysics101 said:
Didn't do anything for me, but I have neither a G73, 5870M, or Clarksfield processor.

oh well

K.Jack said:
Didn't do anything for me, but I have neither a G73, 5870M, or Clarksfield processor.

oh well

Not everyone can have Sandy Bridge and a 6970M :p

At this point it's really hard to maximize and measure gains with this game because despite all the optimization and tweaking, it seems to randomly go 'fuck off' and run whatever way it wants. There are ways to minimize that, but the only sure fix is new drivers and patches at this point.

cj_iwakura

TheExodu5 said:
You sure you didn't mean 8800? The 8400GS only manages around 40fps in Counter-Strike: Source. It's about 1/6th the speed of the 8800GT, and people are struggling to run this game with even that. By all accounts the 8400GS should only manage about 3-5fps in this game.

Positive. GeForce 8400.

Dizzy-4U

Finally finish downloading. I've been running a few tests:

CPU: i7 950 @ 4.0
RAM: 8 GB DDR3 G-Skill Ripjaws @ 2000 MHZ
GPU: GTX465 x 2 SLI Overclocked ----> OC Speeds ----> Nvidia Inspector SLI Profile
Drivers: 275.27 (3D Vision not installed)

The Witcher 2 Config
Ubersampling off and Dangling Object Limit off (I have no idea what this is. Should I turn it on?). Everything else is ON.

V-Sync OFF

Opening cutscene: 43-62 fps
In-Game cutscenes (dialog): 65-96 fps
In-Game: 63-88 fps

V-Sync ON

Solid 60fps (sometimes it drops to 58 fps). This is the beginning of the game of course. I suppose it will be more demanding on later stages.

I can't really complain. I was expecting TW2 to murder my PC and it ended up running almost perfectly.

abload.de isn't working for me for some reason. I'll post screens later.

joesmokey

Thanks for the performance tips on disabling Uber. That brought my frame rate up from 10-15fps to 40-60 on Ultra (1920x1200) :D. So far in the first two parts of the prologue my frame rate has been very stable.

I'm running on a GTX 570, Q6600 @ 3.3GHz, and 275.27 drivers.

knitoe

Dizzy-4U said:

GPU: GTX465 x 2 SLI Overclocked ----> OC Speeds ----> Nvidia Inspector SLI Profile

The Witcher 2 Config
Ubersampling off and Dangling Object Limit off (I have no idea what this is. Should I turn it on?). Everything else is ON.

V-Sync OFF

V-Sync ON

Solid 60fps (sometimes it drops to 58 fps). This is the beginning of the game of course. I suppose it will be more demanding on later stages.

I can't really complain. I was expecting TW2 to murder my PC and it ended up running almost perfectly.

Edit: That's really good for 1920x1080 with your setup.

xXJonoXx said:
Did anyone else order this from Amazon as a preorder? Did you get your Ultimate Swordsman Suit DLC bonus? I never got it, so I sent them an email and they sent me a code that is 16 characters long. However, that doesn't fit. Anyone also have this problem from Amazon?

Amazon sent me my code yesterday, and it worked fine. Only thing is I got a bunch of potions, whetstones, mutagens, and other items, but no suit, unless the suit comes later.

Hawk269

Dizzy-4U said:

The Witcher 2 Config

V-Sync OFF

V-Sync ON

Do you have the light source appearing through walls issue however?

Hawk269

Diomedeskun said:
Amazon sent me my code yesterday, and it worked fine. Only thing is I got a bunch of potions, whetstones, mutagens, and other items, but no suit, unless the suit comes later.

Yeah, some of the suits come later. I was able to get the following codes:

1. The Best Buy Code
2. Amazon Code
3. Special Edition Code
4. Gamestop Code.

In the beginning only one of the suits is available to me, but from what I hear they become available later on in the game. The one that I really want to check out is the one that grants you a 6th magic spell. Not sure what it is called or what it does but it sounds interesting to have a 6th spell.

BTW I double dipped on the Amazon and Best Buy one...I had forgotten I pre-ordered the CE edition from Amazon...lol... and the gamestop one was given to me by a friend, his copy somehow came with 2 codes.

_Xenon_

Banned
Anybody use a mobility version of ATI CCC? I can't find any configurations in it. The only thing I can change is a balance bar between performance and quality.

Dizzy-4U

Hawk269 said:
Do you have the light source appearing through walls issue however?
I noticed some strange lights during some cutscenes (the interrogation part at the beginning) but in-game no. I moved the camera around blocking the sun, fireplaces and some other light sources and the walls always blocked them. Is there an specific light for me to test this?

I know what you mean though, I had that issue with Witcher 1 until I modified the sli profile.

Hawk269

Dizzy-4U said:
I noticed some strange lights during some cutscenes (the interrogation part at the beginning) but in-game no. I moved the camera around blocking the sun, fireplaces and some other light sources and the walls always blocked them. Is there an specific light for me to test this?

I know what you mean though, I had that issue with Witcher 1 until I modified the sli profile.

If you have it during the intergation then you have the issue. It is not apparent too much in the prologue, but when you are in teh came and you board that moving tower thing, in the corner it looks like the sun is blazing through it. Later in the prologue when you are under ground, you will see some torches you can light up and those also appear through walls like in Witcher 1.

It is mainly with torches, lamp posts, lamps etc. It is annoying, but hopefully a better profile will be found or perhaps Nvidia will make a better one.

Dizzy-4U

Hawk269 said:
If you have it during the intergation then you have the issue. It is not apparent too much in the prologue, but when you are in teh came and you board that moving tower thing, in the corner it looks like the sun is blazing through it. Later in the prologue when you are under ground, you will see some torches you can light up and those also appear through walls like in Witcher 1.

It is mainly with torches, lamp posts, lamps etc. It is annoying, but hopefully a better profile will be found or perhaps Nvidia will make a better one.
Ah, too bad :/ Hopefully there's a fix soon.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
My rig:

Core i7 940 @ 3.8GHz
6GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
SLIx2 GTX580 OC'd

My settings:
Ultra w/ Ubersampling off.
16xAF through drivers
2xAA through drivers

With the SLI flag 0x02C04205 I get over 60fps, but light goes through objects.

7EEFFA525D74ED07FFD247C9A683C836DAB05F4B

With the SLI flag 0x02C04005 (default) I get 60-50fps, but the game looks right.
5EF1B72EA64173C87DFC39B7ED23E4233A0CC38D

I tried forcing AFR2, under the 0x02C04005 flag, but it will not solve the lighting problem. Funny enough, I get the same problem in the first game. I am about to install my third card for a perfect 60fps, but I due to the layout of my motherboard, it could make my pc toast, and my brother is currently using it :/

I think the best course of action is just to wait for performance increases by Nvidia. Also, I know I could just lower my settings, but with this game, that won't make a lick of difference. I tried lowering my settings to High and I still get 50-60fps and I don't feel like playing the game with fps spikes knowing I have a huge backlog and the solution might show up soon.

rogue74

OK Finally got to try this out.

Specs:

Athlon X4 635 @3.2
Nvidia GTX 460 1 GB (270.61 driver, 3D vision uninstalled)
4 GB RAM
Resolution : 1920 X 1080
Settings: Ultra, no uber, in game vsync off (but using D3DOverrider), anti-aliasing off 16X AF through driver

FPS: hovers around 30 FPS. Dips into the high 20s.

Somewhat disappointing numbers, although maybe normal for my hardware. I will say though, that while the numbers look at bit low the game doesn't seem sluggish. Haven't gotten into any combat yet though.

Also noticed that turning on anti-aliasing didn't hurt framerate much. Interestingly, switching to the High preset didn't help all that much either. Weird.

Achamian

K.Jack said:

oh well

how well can you run it? i have an msi gx660r. i5 460m, 5870m & 6gb ram and can run with high settings (ssao off, aa off, vsync & tb thru d3doverrider) @ 1600x900 with only very occasional drops below 30fps. using 11.5a rc3 drivers. only dropped from 1080p as occasional drops to low 20s became annoying.

if anything your laptop should perform slightly better as better cpu / more ram? is the 5870 the version with the slower vram perhaps?

markot

Banned
Anyone know which option turns off the darkish shadow that surrounds characters? Not their actual shadow, but like a blur around their edges....

Zeliard

Saren is Bad said:
So if I installed the beta drivers and didn't uncheck nVidia 3D Vision, how should I go about doing so?

It shouldn't be a real issue, you can just easily uninstall the 3D drivers through the control panel afterwards.

Truant

The following had no effect on my performance:

- Disabling or uninstalling 3D Vision drivers
- The new SLI bits
- Changing around settings and resolution. The only thing that affects performance is Uber.

JohngPR

RedSwirl said:
By the way, is something wrong if it sometimes takes like 20 seconds for the pause menu to show up when I pause the game?

Yes, it happens to me too. Kind of annoying...hopefully they fix it.

Also another menu thing I don't like (while using the 360 controller) is that you usually have to confirm an item by pressing a to be able to see it, instead of the usual highlight the item and it switches to that item approach.

Kinan

jett said:
Yeah I'm on ATI. A hotfix won't help me either, ATI seems too only pay attention to their latest line of cards when making drivers. Most of the time a driver update gives me worse performance. :p

That's just moronic. I don't even see what is it that this game is doing that would justify these framerates.

I'm in the same situation, the game is just pretty heavy on the CPU, so it doesnt really matter much how good your GPU is when your CPU is below the minimum requirements.
With my 5-years old X2 3800+ but with relatively decent 4850 GPU I have no chance to run this game in more or less playable form. Did some more tuning yesterday, was able to get up to 20 fps in Prologue so I got through that, but when I reached Flotsam, my fps stabilised at ~10fps. :( Guess no witcher for me until i do an upgrade. And to change the processor only will cost me around 600€, cause I'll need new mainboard, RAM, and power supply as well.

PC gaming is damn expensive.

Durante

I'm in a download loop with the Troll Trouble DLC. It seems the validation fails every single time and it starts to redownload it... forever. Any idea how to fix this?

Narag

I get the strangest crashes in Flotsam. It'll transition into a cutscene and it seems I can't continue until after I disable SSAO. It's happened twice where I couldn't proceed until I did so assuming that's the source of the issue although I can't imagine why.

Top Bottom