• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Performance Thread [Enhanced Edition Patch - New content & 100+ fixes]

Minsc

Gold Member
witcher2 2011-05-27 14-29-34-18.jpg

So this is version 1.0

The LOD/popping in issue thought to be introduced in 1.1 was not a result of 1.1, as you can see from the first two images, the second image being just an inch forward, two additional people popped in to the screen.

Strangely. I went to a third angle and was able to get the 1 guy visible from like 3x the distance. So it seems this issue isn't a result of 1.1, but hopefully is fixes at some point in a future patch.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Binabik15 said:
I haven´t compared AA on/off, but there´s hardly any jaggies anyway.

Dat graphics. Everytime I turn it on I think: dat graphics. Damn.
This is what I see:

Do yourself a favor and never get used to forcing 4x SSAA in your games.

Dice said:
This is what I see:

Hah yes! I am not alone. Game runs like ass when you force it so I've disabled it for this game, it was a hard thing to stomach..

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
scorpscarx said:
Hah yes! I am not alone. Game runs like ass when you force it so I've disabled it for this game, it was a hard thing to stomach..
When I forced it, it gave me that transparent mars look.

Exuro

1.1 feels worse performance wise for me. It's definitely choppier. On Steam too so I waited 5 hours to get worse performance.

dak1dsk1

Banned
All I need now is an intro remover, to get rid of those 4-5 first logos. A no-cd would also be nice. Why the heck is the disc even spinning? (I got the retail edition)

Salaadin

Binabik15 said:

Thanks. Ill mess around some tonight and try for better performace.

Minsc said:
So this is version 1.0

The LOD/popping in issue thought to be introduced in 1.1 was not a result of 1.1, as you can see from the first two images, the second image being just an inch forward, two additional people popped in to the screen.

Strangely. I went to a third angle and was able to get the 1 guy visible from like 3x the distance. So it seems this issue isn't a result of 1.1, but hopefully is fixes at some point in a future patch.

Some of the LoD was also thought to come from the latest Catalyst 11.5b hotfix. Are you AMD? Which driver?

dak1dsk1 said:
All I need now is an intro remover, to get rid of those 4-5 first logos. A no-cd would also be nice. Why the heck is the disc even spinning? (I got the retail edition)

Intro is skippable. I click the game and then tab my mouse button 5 times fast. Boom, no loads :p
I agree, though. Its annoying as hell.

EDIT: Oh wow, there is an intro remover

Vestal

welp... Patch + 11.5b has got me running ULTRA without uber at 60+fps on 2 5770 crossfire setup.

Still need to do a little more research but so far so good... Same area before 1 card with lower settings i was at 30fps.

Minsc

Gold Member
Salaadin said:
Some of the LoD was also thought to come from the latest Catalyst 11.5b hotfix. Are you AMD? Which driver?

10.10, old school! So it's definitely not the 11.5b hotfix or patch 1.1 to blame in this case.

mileS

ugh, really confused about what to set my Texture Memory at now... at first it was high for 1gb cards and very high for anything around 2gb. As time went on people said if you had 1gb its fine for "very high". Fast forward some more and now people are saying you can change the value to 1000 with a 1gb card? that doesn't seem right to me but hey if people are saying its working okay who knows..

I guess i'll have to fiddle with it myself

Pimpbaa

Corky said:
I think I read somewhere that in certain games the motion blur will somehow "hide" slight drops in fps. Could be wrong though.

True that, agree 100%, if we're to take it to the extremes I'd rather have 30fps triple buffered than 60+ fps and tearing out the ass. Thank god for triplebuffering. Out of the probably 100 games or so I've tried with d3doverrider only :

a) gta 4
b) valve-games

Give me trouble, GTA much more than the others. The load times go from 15 s to like 4 minutes. And in the valve-games the induced mouselagg is sadly that much more noticeably when enabling triplebuffering.

For GTA4, turn on v-sync in the game options, while only force triple buffering with d3doverrider. That fixes the loading issue.

Salaadin

mileS said:
ugh, really confused about what to set my Texture Memory at now... at first it was high for 1gb cards and very high for anything around 2gb. As time went on people said if you had 1gb its fine for "very high". Fast forward some more and now people are saying you can change the value to 1000 with a 1gb card? that doesn't seem right to me but hey if people are saying its working okay who knows..

I guess i'll have to fiddle with it myself

I think the value in the user.ini file corresponds directly to how much VRAM you have. I think I read that the Ultra setting only changes the .ini to 600 or 800 or something so someone with more than that can go higher.

Im pretty sure thats what it was. Can someone else here who actually changed their .ini clarify?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
wtf.

The game runs in windowed mode now and I don't know how to turn it off.

Res is 1920*1080

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Pimpbaa said:
For GTA4, turn on v-sync in the game options, while only force triple buffering with d3doverrider. That fixes the loading issue.

Oh cool, thanks for the info mate :)

Minsc

Gold Member
scorpscarx said:
Are you playing on a MacPro or something? Lololl. whyyy?

Haven't had a reason to upgrade yet, I avoid upgrading unless I need to, less problems in my experiences.

Salaadin

Minsc said:
10.10, old school! So it's definitely not the 11.5b hotfix or patch 1.1 to blame in this case.

Hmmm. I hope this does get fixed then.

For what its worth, I ran some tests at 11.5a and 11.5b this morning and didnt see a difference in LOD. In fact, both looked identical to me with a slight 1-2 FPS gain (whoopie!) on 11.5b. I was running version 1.1 of the game both times, though.

I hear ya about upgrading too. I was on 10.10e until late February and only upgraded to 11.5 because I wanted the most recent for TW2. Ill probably stick with these unless 11.6 brings in some crazy improvements.

spritex

dak1dsk1 said:
Huh, I have the retail version and it doesn't need the disc after installation and activation.

subversus

3chopl0x said:
alt+enter

it didn't help, config tool helped. It had windowed mode by default.

Also another problem - I have highest texture settings with no compression but I see pretty low-res textures (at least they seem like that to me). Never had this problem on the first run on my retail version. What should I do?

mileS

so somebody on the GoG forums was saying if you edit the user.ini file you can't open the config options with the presets again or it will change it back to the lowest values. Going to mess with it for a bit and see if I can get a better LOD setting.

Binabik15

Dice said:
This is what I see:

Well, that is still tame, isn´t it? The shimmering edges are bad, as is the hair, I agree, but sitting on my couch I don´t notice the grass, for example. The edge shimmering isn´t as pronounced as in a lot of other games, AssCreed1 drives me mad in the present setting, urgh.

The pop in is more distracting, even though it isn´t nearly as bad as Crysis 2 on highest settings. Especially grass, there´s a magical cirlce around Geralt that makes grass inside it look different to the grass a few mm outside it.

I hope this engine will grow and age well and lots of other games are made with it. It even beats Metro silly in some aspects, but runs much better. Now if only they´d get the game launcher, DLC, registrarion and patching to work for everybody :p

dak1dsk1

Banned
spritex said:
Huh, I have the retail version and it doesn't need the disc after installation and activation.
Oh wow. Thanks. Protip: don't leave the disc in the drive, because it will spin like crazy. :)

mileS

LOD distance set to "Far" = MeshDistanceScale 1.2 in the user.ini file
LOD distance set to "Normal" = MeshDistanceScale 1.0

I tried playing with the value like this post I was reading from the GOG forums

Just thought i would post an update to this.
---
In the user.ini file you can change the MeshDistanceScale to higher amounts to make the LOD mesh change to be much further away, for example the max far setting as posted is 1.2, if you change this to double/triple etc the amount the LOD mesh change draws further away without issue.

I have mine set to 4x the amount (4.8), below are a few screens took showing the difference (look at the big pillar).

Default far setting.

high quality mesh.
http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/274/witcher2201105271329339.png
changing to lower mesh LOD distance.
http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1522/witcher2201105271329402.png

4.8 custom setting.

high quality mesh.
http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/4808/witcher2201105271331010.png
changing to lower mesh LOD distance.
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/7130/witcher2201105271331042.png

As you can see there is quite a difference, if you set it to at least 6x the distance (7.2) the LOD change is really hard to spot as it's so far away.
---
Now, when you manually change this setting in the user.ini DO NOT re-open the launcher options menu as this will reset the setting back to the default low setting of 0.5, this also applies to the texture memory setting you can increase the amount (i have mine at 1000) to use more memory for textures but if you open the launcher options it resets to the lowest setting again.

I don't really notice that much of a difference. Still getting lots of pop-in

subversus

OK, so now I'm playing the GOG version with the latest AMD fix and it REALLY runs better, 40-60 fps on my 6950 and quad-core.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
jett said:
How do you get unlimited weight in the game?

I felt a little bad about using this mod ("NOT THE DESIGNERS VISION", etc., etc.), but that went away after 10 seconds of playing with it on. The game just gets so much more fun to play if you don't have to waste time managing inventory.

mileS

back again with a post from another forum. This might help some people here not sure. Thanks to Stoner-Pimp on the guru3d forums.

Hmm, not sure if the patch caused this (as i never checked before it) but a few settings in the user.ini file don't match the low/medium/high/uber profiles for me.

For example when set to the uber setting the following were set wrong (they are set to low settings).
MaxCubeShadowCount=1 (should be 3 for uber)
MaxCubeShadowSize=256 (should be 2048 for uber)
MaxSpotShadowSize=512 (should be 2048 for uber)

While in there i also changed the following just for the sake of it.
MeshDistanceScale=4.8 (should be 1.2 for uber - changing this to 4x the amount is great, really makes a difference in mesh popin)
TextureMemoryBudget=1000 (should be 600 for the far setting- i changed this to 1000 simply because i have 1.5gb available).
---
If anyone is getting lower textures/blurrier graphics, open the user.ini and the uber profile in the config/profiles folder and check the settings for textures etc match correctly.

well, just when I thought I was done playing around with settings... here we go again.
Oh and btw I'm pretty sure the LOD setting doesn't affect small things like grass but for texture on rocks/trees/walls you'll notice the biggest difference.

Red

luxarific said:
I felt a little bad about using this mod ("NOT THE DESIGNERS VISION", etc., etc.), but that went away after 10 seconds of playing with it on. The game just gets so much more fun to play if you don't have to waste time managing inventory.
I'm playing the base game once for my first time. Planning on using an unlimited inventory for all subsequent playthroughs.

Sanjay

Dizzy-4U said:
Is the SLI problem fixed with this patch (lights through walls)?

yes, in Nvidia Inspector put on "SLI rendering mode" to AFR2.

SLI still works but its not as consistence so you lose fps then before but it does get rid of the lights through walls.

mileS said:
so somebody on the GoG forums was saying if you edit the user.ini file you can't open the config options with the presets again or it will change it back to the lowest values. Going to mess with it for a bit and see if I can get a better LOD setting.

Yes, this is true... unless you set user.ini to Read Only.

mileS said:
back again with a post from another forum. This might help some people here not sure. Thanks to Stoner-Pimp on the guru3d forums.

well, just when I thought I was done playing around with settings... here we go again.
Oh and btw I'm pretty sure the LOD setting doesn't affect small things like grass but for texture on rocks/trees/walls you'll notice the biggest difference.

That glitch has been there since 1.0, the config doesn't change shadow presets at all in Custom mode. Not sure why.

Minsc

Gold Member
luxarific said:

There's a mod to make the limit 900 instead of 300, which translated is more like making it 650 instead of 50, since I started chapter one with around 200-250 lbs of bulk I couldn't bear to toss. That way it's not unlimited, but it's not a ridiculously small amount like 300 (which is more like 50 for me).

mileS

BoobPhysics101 said:
That glitch has been there since 1.0, the config doesn't change shadow presets at all in Custom mode. Not sure why.

I checked it without custom mode (with show advanced not checked and just using the preset config sets, if thats what you mean)

low spec - MaxCubeShadowCount=3
ultra spec-MaxCubeShadowCount=1

that doesn't seem right does it? unless thats one setting is better the lower the value but that doesn't make sense to me. Ugh my head hurts.

sflufan

Banned
How does this look for a GTX 460/Q6600 combination?

AllowAntialias=1
AllowBloom=0
AllowBlur=0
AllowCutsceneDOF=1
AllowDOF=1
AllowDecals=1.0
AllowMotionBlur=0
AllowRain=1
AllowSSAO=0
AllowScatterDOF=1
AllowShafts=1
AllowSharpen=1