• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Performance Thread [Enhanced Edition Patch - New content & 100+ fixes]

scorpscarx said:
Yeah we wouldn't want to advance technology forward any now would we. /sarcasm

You say that as if it was a bad thing.

Besides no one told you that, you'll be able to max the game absolutely fine.

I'm all for advancing technology, problem i had was that the first post led me to believe that my rig I purchased was ... insufficient. Which it isn't.

Fredescu

The Bookerman said:
I'm all for advancing technology, problem i had was that the first post led me to believe that my rig I purchased was ... insufficient. Which it isn't.
The 60fps part might be tricky, but you should get 30+ fps at ultra with uber off.

ColonelColon said:
damn. when I read that right after a post full of config settings, I thought for sure that I would find BoobPhysics=1 as one of the config settings. :(

I lol'd. Just write CDProjekt Red a message and maybe they'll patch in tesselated boob physics when they release DX11 for the game.

Aurarian

So I was ocing my 460 to see where the ceiling was at. Now my card is stuck at lower than default gpu clock and shader clock. Default is 715/1430 now it's at 405/810 when I'm playing the game. Did I just fuck it up?

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Who can help me how to play the game with a 360 controller? I'm pressing Insert in-game and I still can't control Geralt. I can control the menus fine though. What am I doing wrong?

Dr Eggman said:
Who can help me how to play the game with a 360 controller? I'm pressing Insert in-game and I still can't control Geralt. I can control the menus fine though. What am I doing wrong?

Did you set the controls to Gamepad in the options?

scy

BoobPhysics101 said:
So they worked well for you?

Apparently not :( Odd, though. The only difference between what I was doing last night (50-60 FPS on average, some dips to high 40s) and today (57-60 on average, never saw it dip below 55) was changing the wrong .ini file. Changing the appropriate one seems to bring me back to the performance I had before so not sure what's going on.

I'll play with it some and see if I can figure it out.

scy said:
Apparently not :( Odd, though. The only difference between what I was doing last night (50-60 FPS on average, some dips to high 40s) and today (57-60 on average, never saw it dip below 55) was changing the wrong .ini file. Changing the appropriate one seems to bring me back to the performance I had before so not sure what's going on.

I'll play with it some and see if I can figure it out.

You do realize that the Ultra+ Settings aren't meant for performance, but for eye candy? It's most likely going to have a negative impact on performance for better image quality.

BoobPhysics101 said:
You do realize that the Ultra+ Settings aren't meant for performance, but for eye candy? It's most likely going to have a negative impact on performance for better image quality.

Hey boobphysics, thanks so much for your settings! I no longer get the choppiness I was experiencing, I'm using the high config you had posted. I get pretty much a stable 30. I added bloom, SSAO and dof. What does sharpen do?

Also I am thinking of simply deleting witcher 2 completely and reinstalling since my menu takes 4 sec to load when I pause the game, never did that before. Will I lose my saves? I have the steam version

Aeana

Domcorleone said:
Hey boobphysics, thanks so much for your settings! I no longer get the choppiness I was experiencing, I'm using the high config you had posted. I get pretty much a stable 30. I added bloom, SSAO and dof. What does sharpen do?

Also I am thinking of simply deleting witcher 2 completely and reinstalling since my menu takes 4 sec to load when I pause the game, never did that before. Will I lose my saves? I have the steam version
I think someone had postulated that the reason why the menu takes so long to load after a while is because the game makes so many saves. There's a save manager linked in the OP that you can use to get rid of old saves that you don't want anymore, and that might help.

scy

BoobPhysics101 said:

Yeah, I know. I did see an increase in FPS from what I had last night (and basically my entire playthrough of constant 50-60). No change otherwise in my setup that has gotten me to a relatively stable 60 FPS so I'm just a little confused.

Basically, used the settings to see if there was going to be better IQ without a huge hit in my FPS. Instead, saw an FPS hit and not sure why.

Aeana said:
I think someone had postulated that the reason why the menu takes so long to load after a while is because the game makes so many saves.

This. I have to clear my saves every night basically; 1 GB of saves seems to bring my menu loading to occasionally pause. It's annoying but the save manager utility makes it a fairly painless process.

Edgeward

How do I go about removing the amd hotfix? I want to see if the patch alone will get me better performances because it's really uneven in spots. Should I just re-install the 11.5 driver?

Domcorleone said:

Sharpen is only turned on when AA is enabled. The game uses MLAA which can cause blurriness, so I believe they run a sharpen filter as well to combat blurriness with AA.

I would suggest keeping DOF and turning off SSAO and bloom. SSAO causes a huge performance hit and bloom makes the game look worse (to me, at least).

When my M17x R3 w/6970M comes on Tuesday I'll start experimenting with tweaks for high end rigs. Right now I'm pretty comfortable doing mid-range tweaks on my G73JH w/5870M, but the 6970M is a totally different beast since it's about 60-70% faster and has 2 GB of VRAM. Should be able to figure out what the optimal VRAM setting is for 1.5-2GB VRAM cards.

LiK

Playing this in Ultra with Uber off and I'm freakin' impressed. The textures are incredibly detailed. If it weren't for the occasional janky animation, this would be totally perfect. No issues with the gfx here at all. I simply used the default Ultra settings and it runs smooth as hell. Loading is almost instant too. Not sure how the hell they did that.

Salaadin said:
If I have a 1GB card (5850) can anything bad happen if I change TextureMemoryBudget to 1000?

Try it and see what happens. The worst thing that could occur is the game will crash to desktop or it'll run like molasses.

LiK said:
Playing this in Ultra with Uber off and I'm freakin' impressed. The textures are incredibly detailed. If it weren't for the occasional janky animation, this would be totally perfect. No issues with the gfx here at all. I simply used the default Ultra settings and it runs smooth as hell. Loading is almost instant too. Not sure how the hell they did that.

Streaming. Instead of forcing everything in all at once, they gradually load as needed. Very common in console games and large open world games which are coded to reduce memory footprint.

I hope they optimize the streaming in future patches to take further advantage of the gobs of system RAM + SSD's present in today's high end rigs.

LiK

BoobPhysics101 said:
Streaming. Instead of forcing everything in all at once, they gradually load as needed. Very common in console games and large open world games which are coded to reduce memory footprint.

I hope they optimize the streaming in future patches to take further advantage of the gobs of system RAM + SSD's present in today's high end rigs.

ah ok. the loading was almost instant too when i decided to reload a save. i am impressed.

my gripe is probably with the menus. not as pretty or as intuitive as TW1.

epmode

Games that let you push your hardware are nice to have. They've been few and far between since Crysis.

I'd probable feel otherwise if the game didn't so good at lower detail levels but it does so I don't.

edit: Oh god I'm responding to a post from 8902680246 hours ago.

Varna

I tried everything that's been posted anywhere but I can't get the LOD to and pop-in to change at all. It's the same regardless of preset or how much I bump it up in the .ini. Tried reinstalling the game, reinstalling graphic drivers, everything. Looks so bad at this point. I give up. :(

cj_iwakura

Evidence that my ancient CPU does indeed run W2:

witcher22011-05-2800-27-52-82.jpg

witcher22011-05-2800-27-19-98.jpg

witcher22011-05-2800-27-05-34.jpg

gdt

Curious to try Boob's user.ini settings, but don't wanna mess around. Have had way too many issues with this game...

Varna

gdt5016 said:
Curious to try Boob's user.ini settings, but don't wanna mess around. Have had way too many issues with this game...

Worked really well for me before the 1.1. The added memory size definitely gave me a bump in performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2cemx0qJl0

This is with ultra preset, no extra tinkering so all the options should have been carried over to the user.ini without any problems.

Can anyone just tell me if this is normal or not? Because it's like this for almost everything... bushes, weapons people carry, details on clothing, certain walls, foliage, etc.

gdt

Just messed around with AllowSharpen, and I think I like it better off! Looks really good, and gets rid of that weird shimmer. I'm on my laptop now, but I tweak some more on my tv, see now I like it there.

I'm getting the same sort of pop-in as the guy above now, seems to be a real issue, that CDPR need to fix.

gdt5016 said:

I'm going to try the one recommended for 1GB VRAM cards. I noticed a few paramters missing from my custom settings.

What are TextureTimeBudget & CharacterLodGameplayDownscale?

gdt

Yeah, I tried the high end card user ini, and I'm still getting 28-35 (with some dips into the mid 20's, and jumps upto 40) on my 6770m. Awesome.

LiK

i notice some jaggies playing in Ultra. any tips on what i should turn on/off to make it look better? Nvidia GTX 570 here.

Blast Processing said:
I'm going to try the one recommended for 1GB VRAM cards. I noticed a few paramters missing from my custom settings.

What are TextureTimeBudget & CharacterLodGameplayDownscale?

TextureTimeBudget should be how long the game caches textures in VRAM, and CLGD should (guessing, haven't really messed with it too much) determine whether or not the game uses aggressive LOD downscaling on character models as they get further away.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Can anyone with an Athlon or Phenom II (x4 640, x4 840, x4 955 BE) etc. post their rigs and specs with FPS numbers?

THANKS.

Haint

Aurarian said:
So I was ocing my 460 to see where the ceiling was at. Now my card is stuck at lower than default gpu clock and shader clock. Default is 715/1430 now it's at 405/810 when I'm playing the game. Did I just fuck it up?

It under clocks when it crashes under stress as a safety precaution. Restarting your computer should fix it. You should be able to go somewhere between 800/1600 and 850/1600 at stock voltage. It takes a lot of prolonged trial an error to find a 100% stable speed if you're trying to push it to the very edge. You'll find a position that works 95% of the time, but still causes the odd random crash. You need to dial it back 5 or 10mhz from that position.

mileS

Okay I think i'm happy with my settings now.

Intel Core i5 750 @ 2.67GHz - 4gig ram - 5850 1gb

Heres whats in my user.ini
[Rendering]
TextureDownscale=0
AtlasTextureDownscale=0
DetailTextureDownscale=0
MaxTextureSize=2048
MaxAtlasTextureSize=4096
TextureMemoryBudget=800
TextureTimeBudget=10
MaxCubeShadowSize=2048
MaxCubeShadowCount=3
MaxSpotShadowSize=2048
MaxSpotShadowCount=3
FoliageDistanceScale=1.6
MeshDistanceScale=2.2
CharacterLodGameplayDownscale=0
AllowBloom=0
AllowShafts=1
AllowAntialias=1
AllowBlur=0
AllowDOF=0
AllowDecals=1.0
AllowVignette=0
AllowSharpen=1
AllowRain=1
AllowSSAO=0
AllowMotionBlur=0
AllowScatterDOF=0
AllowCutsceneDOF=1
DanglesLimiter=0
ShadowQuality=3
ShadowedLights=3
Fullscreen=1
VSync=0
UberSampling=0

There's not much of a difference performance wise from Ultra to High for me. Overall I have to say "MeshDistanceScale=2.2" makes a huge difference pop in wise. I've tried even higher values but it didn't work very well. "FoliageDistanceScale=1.6" Is big because I don't notice as much pop-in for grass and what not. If anyone has similar specs to me and is looking for Ultra settings + some performance tweaks should try these I guess.

Thanks again to BoobPhysics101!

Wallach

TheExodu5 said:
You might say it's degrading textures...IMO Sharpen is creating artifacts.

Exactly. The textures are exactly the same, the filter is basically adding a fine grain to them. Looks unnatural.

mileS said:
Thanks again to BoobPhysics101!

You're welcome, if you find better settings for your 5850 make sure to post them up. Most of all, don't get too addicted to tweaking and just enjoy the game!

Wallach said:
Exactly. The textures are exactly the same, the filter is basically adding a fine grain to them. Looks unnatural.

Sharpen isn't meant to be used on its own, it only enables when antialiasing is enabled. I'd recommend having it off. Anyone that wants sharper textures needs to use 16x Anisotropic Filtering and maybe use negative LOD settings through NVidia Inspector or RadeonPro.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Ok, so I downloaded GOG version from my GOG account, patched it with GOG patch and STILL no Troll DLC. Should I just download it somewhere else? Is it ok for game's stability?

Truant said:
Is chapter 2 vastly different depending on who you side with?

yes, totally.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
3chopl0x said:
Get it here and place it in your CookedPC directory
http://www.mediafire.com/?i68ylsjy13vba03

thanks.

I also recommend everybody to check their ini settings and set atlas and max texture resolution ant 4096. May be it's placebo effect, but it looks better than 2048 set there by default. I think that no game is able to handle 4096 textures, but stil...

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
raphier said:
How come gtx460 needs 2 6-pin wires? Is taking the power of two cards or something? I hope it doesn't heat that much.

modern cards are getting more and more powerhungry, heck I think there are some cards that require even 2 8-pin wires.

raphier

Banned
Corky said:
modern cards are getting more and more powerhungry, heck I think there are some cards that require even 2 8-pin wires.
I decided finally to change my gts250, but I don't like the sound of that. My electricity spending budget is very strict, the card should take atleast as much as my current gts
does

Wazzim

Banned
raphier said:
I decided finally to change my gts250, but I don't like the sound of that. My electricity spending budget is very strict, the card should take atleast as much as my current gts
does
After checking some benchmarks, it seems like they're pretty close to eachother looking at power consumption.

Top Bottom