• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Performance Thread [Enhanced Edition Patch - New content & 100+ fixes]

zlatko

Banned
So I'm back to playing again more now that 2.0 is out for my second playthrough.

What did they change performance wise? I think before at around release the things I had turned off were ubersampling, bloom, the motion blur effect, and SSAO.

The only one I turned back on this time around was SSAO, and was curious what it even effects? My FPS was still above 60, so I think I'll leave it on no matter what.

Does he got a new set up? Post the specs then.
OH, forgot to ask, the HUD less and that free camera are features of the latest patches. How do you use them?

Dennis

Banned
Refreshment.01 said:
Does he got a new set up? Post the specs then.
OH, forgot to ask, the HUD less and that free camera are features of the latest patches. How do you use them?
I second this. I am looking for the instructions to turn off HUD. Can't see them on the first page.

v0mitg0d said:
How did you update your bootcamp drivers for your imac? I've been trying to find a way to do this because when I go to AMDs website, the drivers are from January.
Sorry, I hadn't checked the thread in a while!

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/embedded/Pages/embedded_windows_all.aspx
Try checking for them under embedded graphics instead of desktop/mac.

I don't know whether my drivers really needed updating, but I went ahead and made sure.
Are you having problems with getting the game to run?

edit: I'll assume you're having the same problem I did of starting the game, but it never going anywhere.
This was due to my screen resolution being at the normal mac res. Drop it down to something like 1920x1080, then launch the game. You can change the settings to run the game in normal mac res. now without problem. For some reason, it just has hiccups with the monitor res. vs. the game's res. I don't know why, but yeah.

(._.)

Banned
yeah, just press 'H' ^^^
Smokey said:
Is it redundant to have Uber Sampling and Anti-Aliasing on at the same time?
Is there much of a difference and will I get a noticeable frame jump if I turn AA off myself?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
DennisK4 said:
I have arrived at the promised land.

Hmm so out of curiosity I wanted to see the difference between ubersampling off and on so I snapped my own screen to compare but what caught my eye was the difference in color, why is this? I have every setting on except bloom and ssao, I know ssao doesn't affect color in this way, so is it the bloom?

witcher22011-10-0119-0xpcr.png

graywolf323

ugh even with this kickass new laptop The Witcher 2 still recommends low spec for me >_<

Asus G74SX-XA1 Running Windows 7 Ultimate

Intel Core i7-2630QM (2.8GHz with Turbo Boost) | 16GB RAM DDR3 1333hz (4GB x 4) | Nvidia GeForce 560M GTX 3GB DDR-5 | 17.3-Inch Full HD 1920x1080 LED | 1x Seagate Momentus 750GB 7200 RPM & 1x Samsung Spinpoint M8 HN-M101MBB 1TB 5400 RPM

Chinner

Banned
'recommended' spec never really works. just put it on max and start scaling it back to when it suits your performance needs.

Aurarian

Is there any reason I can't launch the game after this patch? I just reinstalled my retail copy and I still can't get it to launch.

Red

graywolf323 said:
ugh even with this kickass new laptop The Witcher 2 still recommends low spec for me >_<

Asus G74SX-XA1 Running Windows 7 Ultimate

Intel Core i7-2630QM (2.8GHz with Turbo Boost) | 16GB RAM DDR3 1333hz (4GB x 4) | Nvidia GeForce 9800M GTX 3GB DDR-5 | 17.3-Inch Full HD 1920x1080 LED | 1x Seagate Momentus 750GB 7200 RPM & 1x Samsung Spinpoint M8 HN-M101MBB 1TB 5400 RPM
That kickass new laptop is using a gpu from almost four years ago.

Aurarian said:
Is there any reason I can't launch the game after this patch? I just reinstalled my retail copy and I still can't get it to launch.
2.0 seems to have messed up a lot of stuff for me. I was getting really bad flickering shadows, and my IQ turned to shit. Shimmery aliasing all over the place, when it was very clean before. Performance seems about the same. A few keys aren't bound to anything, and I couldn't open the first set of doors in the tutorial. Couldn't select magic with my gamepad, and as soon as I entered a dice poker game I was stuck unable to do anything, because no button press would register a reroll (it said "press [ ]").

I just deleted all my TW2 files and am going to reinstall from scratch. I had some mods installed and they may not play nice with the new update (increased weight capacity and some UI enhancements). Hopefully it works better as a fresh install.

Even on uber I was getting a lot of jaggies, and textures seemed to take a shit.

Dennis, hurry up and get to Flotsam. Now in that area, I want to see some screenshots. The beginning of Act III is one of the most beautiful landscapes I've ever seen.

SOLDIER

So have any of the settings changed as a result of 2.0? Any extra tweaks we can add to get a better performance boost and such?

It still takes a long time for me to bring up the list of saved games under Load. Like 10 seconds.

dino1980

I have some trouble implementing crossfirex with Witcher2.

I have 2x 6970 and have 40- 60 fps with all on ultra (no ubersampling) in 1080p. Have checked with MSI Afterburner and the load on the two cards is about 50-60%. Is there anyway to get so that they output 100% with this game?

Have tried launching the game with radeonpro and Force Crossfirex Profile - AFR-Friendly D3D
MVPUMode = Alternate Frame Rendering

But it gives me nothing :/

Do any of you know how to max both graphic cards?

Witcher 2 version 2.0

Specs
Intel I5-2500k 4.2GHz
2x 6970 ati CFX
8GB memory

/Thanks

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Lol, I was still on 1.0, so I had a few downloads to do.

Anyway, hadn't found the time to download until this evening/morning. I'm exhausted, but I had to check stuff out.

Immediately MAXED everything to ultra/highest, and turned on ubersampling at 1920x1200. I use to get like 3fps on my 5870, and with the patch and my new 570, I get like 15-20fps. Still pretty much unplayable; but damn does it make for some wonderful screen captures :-o

3IFbP.jpg

Easily the most impressive looking game ever. Period. No question about it.

This is my favorite single player game of the generation. I'm about half way through my second playthrough; this new patch will definitely motivate me to finish. Can't wait!

Red

I was getting 15+ on a 5870 at least, so 2.0 didn't bork performance I guess.

I want to reinstall this now but I'm going to have to wait til tonight :(

Aurarian

Anyone got some configs for getting my 460/AMD Quad core to play at high/ultra with 30 FPS all the time? For example, the opening cutscene drops to below 30 frames even though before this patch I never really got anywhere near that. Same happens in the tutorial when you talk to that knight on the floor next to the house.

MountZion

Neo Member
Hm, since pretty much everybody LOVES the graphics in this game I know something must be wrong with my game. While the game is undoubtedly one of the most stunning game ever crafted, I just cannot get over the massive pop in. Especially in Chapter 2 and 3. I can't walk 2 steps without grass changing its texture etc.

I did a little bit of digging around and it is pretty much the same for this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8MbVDyrZDs&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

I spend eons messing with the ini, changing mesh and foliagedistancescale, but in later chapters it does not make any difference anymore.

I tried a fresh re-install yesterday, that also did not do anything. All my settings are maxed and I followed ini mod instructions (from here and other sites) meticulously - nothing helps.

Witcher 2 seems to be a "Screenshot" game, for as soon as it moves it falls apart. At least for me. Bah.

Sorry for this post, I was just hoping that somebody had maybe one last hint for me on what t to do.......

Wallach

felipepl said:
Stupid question: just rebuilt my whole rig, can I patch the game from vanilla -> 2.0 at once?

No. Run the vanilla launcher, it will patch you directly to 1.2. Then you have to manually patch to 1.3, then run the launcher again, it will auto patch you up to 1.35 and then 2.0 after that.

Peterthumpa

Wallach said:
No. Run the vanilla launcher, it will patch you directly to 1.2. Then you have to manually patch to 1.3, then run the launcher again, it will auto patch you up to 1.35 and then 2.0 after that.
Strange, my vanilla launcher does nothing and there's no option to update anything.

Blackheim

felipepl said:
Strange, my vanilla launcher does nothing and there's no option to update anything.

Just go to gog/witcher site and if you've registered the game already you will be able to d/l the auto-patcher setup & install it, it will take care of future updates/patches.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
felipepl said:

Yeah, I had a vanilla 1.0 retail install (NA), and had to manually download and install the 1.1 and 1.2 updates. Then it auto updated to 1.3 and then 1.35. Then I had to manually DL and install 2.0. Kinda silly, but it worked.

Dennis

Banned
I bought my version from GamersGate.

I installed it fresh when 2.0 came out and it autopatched all the way from 1.0 to 2.0

Peterthumpa

Thanks everybody, the GOG version has an auto updater that is able to update the vanilla to 1.35 and then to 2.0 automatically.

Red

From scratch reinstall works much better, except the reroll for dice poker is still unbound. I had to close the process to exit the game. Anyone else with this problem?

Can't figure out how to fix this.

Ah, game is playable in uber now at 20-30 fps. On a 5870. You guys with better cards must be loving it.

Wag

I am pretty much able to play on my Tri-Crossfire setup in Ubersampling mode now. I just have to scale a few settings down a bit or I get a little bit of slowdown.

Minsc

Gold Member
Protip for some extra frames (for those who are taking on uber and new), disable Bloom. It's a nice boost and the game looks more detailed without it, particularly Geralt.

(._.)

Banned
Minsc said:
Protip for some extra frames (for those who are taking on uber and new), disable Bloom. It's a nice boost and the game looks more detailed without it, particularly Geralt.
I'll try this when I play tonight, thanks.

Red

Minsc said:
First thing I did back when I got the game. Much better without it.

Minsc said:
Wow. Tried this and was able to get 20fps with ubersampling on my ageing dual core/GTX560 system. Not playable like that, but still, wow. Probably could have gone a little higher if I'd disabled FXAA, but I couldn't be bothered to delete the files just to mess about.

Aurarian

Ubersampling is enabled in the .ini file by setting the number value to 2 right? I just tried and took off AA and ran around the tutorial level. Hasn't dropped below 30 yet and when I talked to the knight it dropped to 25 really quickly and came back to 30. For some reason I don't think it's really on even though I have it enabled in the ini. I would assume I'd be getting worse framerates given I only have a 460 GTX+AMD quad.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Started a new playthrough for this patch. The samum bombs (maybe other items too?) bug persists, they once again don't show up in the inventory after the prologue stuff and while you can create more they still aren't displayed with the solution once again presumably being to find a quest that strips all your inventory and gives it back later (the first one should be the drunken night with the blue stripes, or perhaps a visit to Loredo, whatever works that way, I can't bother testing). Get your shit together CDP.

Top Bottom