• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Performance Thread [Enhanced Edition Patch - New content & 100+ fixes]

Complistic

I'll take texture pop in since there are no loading screens. I sort of hope that TW2 2.0 they're hinting at gets rid of it though.

beast786

Wow what a surprise. I just starting playing again due to universal bloom issue, I just could not take it. But the patch fix every problem i had.

On Ultra it gives me about 45fps at Vsyn On. Amazing game. Glad I came back.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Minsc said:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=440696

Just getting the info within the week, but it obviously may effect your decision about when to replay the game.

Interesting thanks.

But I still went ahead and tried the game and since I haven't played the game since release I don't remember the performance. BUT I think that my drivers, the latest ones, are messing things up for me. I took a little benchmark loop of 60 seconds running around in the camp just outside the tent with Trish, the very beginning of the game. I used the following settings : 1080p, everything set to ultra, ubersampling on, triplebuffering on and the avg fps was 40fps. Using 2600@4.6 and two overclocked 560 Tis, does that sound right? I have a faint recollection of having around 50 fps running around in flotsam with the same settings.

But that's the least of my worries. What the heck is this?! These white outlines and jaggies around player models. This happened in Dead space 2 aswell when I was fiddling around with sgssaa and it clashed with the game so I turned it off. But now I got this in witcher 2 all of the sudden.... with the same settings mentioned above. Anyone know what's going on? It's much much much worse when the camera is spinning.

witcher22011-08-1516-3goh2.png

Kyaw

kokujin said:
Is there a way to make the shadows not so grainy?

Nope but turning ubersampling on can make it look less grainy.

The word you are looking for here is 'dithering', not grainy.

kokujin

Banned
Kyaw said:
Nope but turning ubersampling on can make it look less grainy.

The word you are looking for here is 'dithering', not grainy.
Thanks, doesn't ubersampling kill your FPS ?I hear people talking about the patches, and I haven't played since the 2nd patch, was the dithering always this bad.

kokujin

Banned
Kyaw said:
Ubersampling WILL kill your fps.

I don't think they reduced the dithering with the patches.
Can you turn shadows completely off.For the most part they look fine, but on people sometimes it looks really bad.

zkylon

zkylewd
kokujin said:
Can you turn shadows completely off.For the most part they look fine, but on people sometimes it looks really bad.
You don't want to do that. That will no doubt look horrid.

edit: i don't know how, but i'm sure there's gotta be a way by playing with an .ini file around there...

Corky

Ok update :

rolled back the drivers, from 280.26 to 275.33 and the results are :

10 fps increase with every setting enabled, from 40 to 50
temps dropped 15 C on the hotter card, from 76 to 61
the white edges outline is still there when ubersampling is on ( and goes away when it's off )

has anyone seen that graphical glitch before?

Kyaw

kokujin said:

Don't turn shadows off... just deal with the dithering.

Van Buren

bee said:
so they finally fixed it in 3D vision eh, only took them 2 months. definitely worth waiting for though, looks stunning in 3D now, also tried maxed with uber in 2D and triple screen with no uber but the 3D blows them away tbh. still plays fine too max settings except uber, 1080p, 16xaf forced and 3D and still average around 35fps

edit: oh but for anyone who tries it in 3D, you need to add these settings to user.ini to make the 3D look really good

ConvergenceClose=0
ConvergenceCutscene=2
ConvergenceInside=3
ConvergenceOutside=3

Tried 3D under these settings, and I've got to echo the sentiment that it blows away the non 3D visuals. The 3D in this game has such an effect on the textures, geometry and normal mapping etc., that it seems like the entire game was designed using Tesselation from the Unigine Demo(not the Crysis 2 stretched bricks kind, mind you), thanks to how the visuals pop out.

On a related note, I'm finding it harder to notice the dithered shadows in 3D, just like aliasing. All in all, good job, CDPR.

catabarez

I need help running this game on steam :(

So I ran Steam as admin and the Launcher as well. The Launcher pops up and I'm able to click on launch game, but when the Witcher logo pops up it just freezes at that point. At least I think it freezes. Can somebody help me?

Jeeves

Hey, I got a new PC recently and I've been playing the first game on it. I was wondering if I should get the sequel for my computer or just wait for the 360 version? Here's my specs:

AMD Phenom II X4 N970 2.2GHz
AMD Radeon HD 6470M w/ 512MB memory
4GB RAM
Windows 7

If the 360 version would run better then I'm fine with just waiting it out.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Jeeves said:
Hey, I got a new PC recently and I've been playing the first game on it. I was wondering if I should get the sequel for my computer or just wait for the 360 version? Here's my specs:

AMD Phenom II X4 N970 2.2GHz
AMD Radeon HD 6470M w/ 512MB memory
4GB RAM
Windows 7

If the 360 version would run better then I'm fine with just waiting it out.

I think you better wait for 360 but who knows... I never heard about your graphics card so it might be a very budget one.

kokujin

Banned
What kind of FPS should I be getting?I have a Q6600@3.0 Ghz,4 Gigs of ram, and GTX 470 SC.I am playing at 1680x1050 instead of 1920x1200, but I am not getting much from it.What else can I cut from the engine that won't look that bad?Here's my Ini file.

[Engine]
CustomRenderingSettings=1
PerformancePlatform=3

[Input]
KeyboardLayout=QWERTY

[MouseInput]
SensitivityX=0.5
SensitivityY=0.5
Smoothness=0

[Rendering]
AllowAntialias=0
AllowBloom=1
AllowBlur=1
AllowCutsceneDOF=1
AllowDOF=0
AllowDecals=1.0
AllowMotionBlur=0
AllowRain=1
AllowSSAO=0
AllowScatterDOF=0
AllowShafts=0
AllowSharpen=1
AllowVignette=0
AtlasTextureDownscale=0
CharacterLodGameplayDownscale=0
DanglesLimiter=0
DetailTextureDownscale=0
FoliageDistanceScale=1.6
Fullscreen=1
MaxAtlasTextureSize=2048
MaxCubeShadowCount=3
MaxCubeShadowSize=1024
MaxSpotShadowCount=3
MaxSpotShadowSize=1024
MaxTextureSize=2048
MeshDistanceScale=2.2
ShadowQuality=2
ShadowedLights=1
TextureDownscale=0
TextureMemoryBudget=850
TextureTimeBudget=10
UberSampling=0
VSync=0

[Viewport]
Height=1050
Width=1680

I apologize if this has been asked many times before, but I can't get the game to launch.

I'm running bootcamp on my imac 27inch, I've updated my video card driver, I excluded witcher two from avast checking, I set all the .exe files to run as admin, yet I still can't get the game to launch.

The initial window allowing for running, registering, settings, and that comes up, but when I tell it to play the game the witcher's medallion icon displays for a moment, then the initial window reappears.

I have a small window in the bottom right pop up for the "witcher 2 launcher" but the options for it only deal with notifying my and so forth.
Am I doing something wrong?

edit: I'm running a 64bit version of windows 7 as well.

DSmalls84

Probably already know the answer but would I be able to run this on low on my m11x?

1.7 core 2 duo
4 gb ram
gt 335m 1 gb vram

If not I will wait for it on 360, but I want to pick it up from the GOG sale if I can run it.

DSmalls84 said:
Probably already know the answer but would I be able to run this on low on my m11x?

1.7 core 2 duo
4 gb ram
gt 335m 1 gb vram

If not I will wait for it on 360, but I want to pick it up from the GOG sale if I can run it.
I'm no computer ace, but I'm going to say a pretty solid "no."
I like to use this site to check some of the games on my laptop, and you might use it just to be absolutely sure.
A bit of fair warning, though, it can definitely be iffy, if you haven't updated things recently. I went to check witcher 2 on my imac, just to get a general idea of what it would do, and it showed that I easily failed to meet minimum, despite the fact that it was showing all to pass with flying colors. I updated the video card driver, and now it shows I max out (more or less).

If there's any chance you might be upgrading in the near future or just know someone that might let you use their computer you could do that.

---------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------

Finally got the game running on my end. I went back into avast and excluded it from more stuff, by individual .exe files, and then ran it not in fullscreen.

Problem is, I don't really want to run it at max size, not covering up my taskbar. Any way of fixing thing? I can't get the game to launch unless it isn't full screen.

edit: Finally got it to work. I had to turn my screen res. down to 1920x1200, then I could run the game in 2560x1440 fullscreen from the launcher.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1895141

Chinner

Banned
you mean dithering? yeah it sucks but there's nothing we can do shamefully. just hope that by the time witcher 3 comes out the engine has been improved to fix it.

ACE 1991

Chinner said:
you mean dithering? yeah it sucks but there's nothing we can do shamefully. just hope that by the time witcher 3 comes out the engine has been improved to fix it.

Ah, I think that's it. Bummer, it really adds a nice layer of shit over an otherwise outstanding looking game. Oh well!

EDIT: While I'm lurking in this thread, I might as well ask about input lag. It's FAR less noticeable after enabling triple buffering instead of vsync, but there is definitely still some mouse and keyboard lag. Anyway to reduce this other than lowering settings?

goodfella

ACE 1991 said:
Ah, I think that's it. Bummer, it really adds a nice layer of shit over an otherwise outstanding looking game. Oh well!

EDIT: While I'm lurking in this thread, I might as well ask about input lag. It's FAR less noticeable after enabling triple buffering instead of vsync, but there is definitely still some mouse and keyboard lag. Anyway to reduce this other than lowering settings?

Unfortunately, no.
Other than buying a screen with a lower input lag, or using a wired mouse.

ACE 1991

goodfella said:
Unfortunately, no.
Other than buying a screen with a lower input lag, or using a wired mouse.

Okay. Is this an issue I can expect to run into with a lot of other PC games, or this just an issue with the Witcher 2? (I just built my first real gaming rig, still learning!)

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Anyone have a concrete list of virtually useless settings for any and all systems? I hear Blur Effects, for instance, is rarely used, and when it is used it causes a big performance hit.

Any others like this?

Corky

Gvaz said:
Mostly turn off the blur settings and ubersampling and depth of field. Everything else is minor fps changes

Actually from what I understand ssao hits much harder than the motion blur, and the depth of field has very little performance impact.

Gvaz

Banned
Oh, yeah i forgot about ssao, sorry. Yeah that was a harder hit for me than the blur. less than 10% more fps loss than without and blur

Came here to mention my problem with the shadows and I see everyone on this page talking about how there's no fix -.-

I started playing this again on a new HD6870 They look awful on my new card, I don't remember them looking like this on my HD4890

witcher22011-09-1602-3heww.png

witcher22011-09-1602-3keue.png

Holy shit, those shadows look fucking terrible. Came in here to see how things were running these days since my parts are on the way. Sad to see that shit.

Any way. Are there certain drivers I should use? I'm going to be using 560 ti's in sli. Any chance I'll manage a solid 60fps at 1080p, everything maxed except ubersampling (off)? Can't wait.

Eusis

Dithering? Yeah, everyone has it except the crazy bastards running high end cards in SLI that can afford ubersampling (which may be disabled anyway for pure 60 FPS.) You'll just have to deal with the shadows looking like they were lifted from a PSP game.

Top Bottom