• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher Community Thread: Where we discuss what politics and sex have in common

I'm glad we have this thread...
If the TW3 OT ends up like every other TW3 thread this will be our final refuge.

Speaking of TW2's graphics, how do I get rid of the kind of grainy look I'm getting? Not my pic, but it showcases the problem pretty well: http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/ugc/559782500821274741/169466FCCD9BB180CC4C09BD4E75A48A5B23598A/

Most easily noticeable on Geralt's hair and clothes and on the edges of shadows. It looks absolutely terrible.

Unfortunately I don't think there's a way to get rid of the dithering.
It's a shame since other than that the game still looks top notch.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Beat the
Keyran
in Witcher 2. One ability I've immediately put a point in is the backstab dmg reducer. Those wraiths in the asylum ruins really messed me up. I also completed the monster contracts and explored around. I'm 13 hours in, taking it slow.

I did encounter a really annoying bug before I closed off: in the crafting menu, I wanted to craft the superb silver sword, but the info/pictures didn't load and ended up with the first item on the list... repeatedly. I'll see if it works again when I reload the game.

aravuus

Unfortunately I don't think there's a way to get rid of the dithering.
It's a shame since other than that the game still looks top notch.

Huh, I could swear I didn't have this problem around the time TW2 was released. Bummer, it really does bring down the otherwise fantastic looking game.

Denton

I'm glad we have this thread...
If the TW3 OT ends up like every other TW3 thread this will be our final refuge.

Hah, just what I was thinking reading that pax trailer thread. I hope this thread will stay nicely hidden from downgrader's eyes :)

Denton

do we know if TW3 will have a Polish language, English subtitles option?

Considering both previous games had it, I think this is pretty much certain.
I plan to play in english with CZ subtitles though. English Geralt sounds perfect to my ears.

You are right, this thread is the only way to talk about anything else about the Witcher. The other is nothing but people crying downgrade. Ubisoft has done a lot of harm to the industry and some people's brains it seems.

Are the subtitles based on the English dub? That would sort of defeat the purpose.

Yes.
Thats why for me is pretty hard to have english voices (that I like) with the spanish subs, because the spanish translation is pretty mediocre (I would pay good money for it to be done by the guy who translates the spanish books), and sometimes what it says in spanish is not exactly the same what they are saying in english.
At the end I use english subs with english voices, but I hate they call Dandelion to Jaskier. As a book reader he has always been Jaskier for me.
As the english subs are made to be exact as the voice acting, and thats reworked so it works well in english, the same english subs will not be the smae translations as the Polish ones.

Denton

I have this dissonance issue too, where Jaskier is Marigold in CZ books and Triss is Ranuncul instead of Merigold. And cz game translation is faithful to books, so some of these names don't mesh with English voice acting. But I got used to it, still prefer English voices. Not just for main characters, but even minor like Shilard for example, he sounds perfect in English.

Sorry if this off topic, but is there a timer/clock in the X360 version to see how long have I played??

Going on my
Iorveth
path and wanted to see how much have I spent on a game that in the beginning seemed like an endless chore...¨:)

Shy

i just finished my first playthrough about an hour ago. :) i' now ready for the awesomeness of 3.

how many of you guys killed letho ? i did.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
i just finished my first playthrough about an hour ago. :) i' now ready for the awesomeness of 3.

first playthough, i did not. second playthrough, yes

cd projekt red should consider doing a remaster version of witcher 1 and 2 for the ps4.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'm in chapter 2 now. I chose
Iorveth. This is probably the more 'evil' choice, but he's a badass and I hated Loredo

Denton

I always kill Letho for fun, but reload and let him go. He did take care of Yen and saved Triss, after all.

Shy

I always kill Letho for fun, but reload and let him go. He did take care of Yen and saved Triss, after all.
that's true, but that still doesn't take away from all the blood and chaos he's caused, the north is on fire because of that baldie cunt. friend or not.

also the game doesn't save after the game does it. ?

Denton

that's true, but that still doesn't take away from all the blood and chaos he's caused, the north is on fire because of that baldie cunt. friend or not.

also the game doesn't save after the game does it. ?
Bah, if it wasn't him, Emhyr would find someone else and probably even worse.

The game makes final autosave when finishing.

Dries

Really looking forward to my third TW2 playthrough in preparation for TW3. Has it been noted if it's possible to import save game files from TW2?

The stealth in The Witcher 2. Ugh. Is there any reason to be stealthy?

Already have too much shit and item management is even worse in this.

Denton

Don't forget you have chest in an inn. But anyway just drop the crafting stuff like iron and wood, it takes a lot of space and there is too much of it in the world anyway.

Dice is even more rigged in this. :|
Nah, dice was way more rigged in the first game. Anytime you made a big wager the computer would usually roll 5 of the same number.

Of course maybe Witcher 2 would be equally rigged if you could actually make a big wager in the first place.

kiyomi

Beat The Witcher 2 a few days ago, fantastic game. I should go back to TW1 but I just couldn't put up with those repeated character models, voices and laborious quests. Got really tired of it. I think I'm going to have to finish it because I adore the world of The Witcher. It's so strong and much more grounded in the way characters behave than in most other WRPGs.

Interestingly, I finished the game on normal at like, level 34 having crafted absolutely nothing except for a couple of potions here and there. Never ran into item management issues either. I feel like I missed a lot of the experience of the game for some reason. I'm gonna have to do another playthrough eventually.

Nah, dice was way more rigged in the first game. Anytime you made a big wager the computer would usually roll 5 of the same number.

Of course maybe Witcher 2 would be equally rigged if you could actually make a big wager in the first place.
I've lost everytime that I've gotten a full house.

kiyomi

Speaking of TW2's graphics, how do I get rid of the kind of grainy look I'm getting? Not my pic, but it showcases the problem pretty well: http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/ugc/559782500821274741/169466FCCD9BB180CC4C09BD4E75A48A5B23598A/

Most easily noticeable on Geralt's hair and clothes and on the edges of shadows. It looks absolutely terrible.

Do you have the ingame AA on? I thought it looked awful so I switched it off, and while I did get some dithering, it was nowhere near as bad as that. I used GeDoSaTo to force decent AA.

phaze

Consider grabbing zero weight mode. Been using it since the first playthrough as I really dislike having to constantly sell, drop stuff in rpg's.

Beat The Witcher 2 a few days ago, fantastic game. I should go back to TW1 but I just couldn't put up with those repeated character models, voices and laborious quests. Got really tired of it. I think I'm going to have to finish it because I adore the world of The Witcher. It's so strong and much more grounded in the way characters behave than in most other WRPGs.

Interestingly, I finished the game on normal at like, level 34 having crafted absolutely nothing except for a couple of potions here and there. Never ran into item management issues either. I feel like I missed a lot of the experience of the game for some reason. I'm gonna have to do another playthrough eventually.

There's plenty of story left to be discovered on the alternate path, especially if you chose Roche for your first.

Just use the mod that removes item limit. Seriously.
And yeah, the game would be better without the stealth sections, the first time you can fight your way through as soon as you get your hands on a weapon but there are parts where stealth is mandatory.

I think playing this with a mouse and keyboard is a mistake. The interface is way too designed for a controller. :\ Maybe I'm just not using the keyboard efficiently enough, though there needs to be a better cancel button than esc.

Hope the weight limit mod also comes fast with the witcher 3.
Games would be better if they added the option in the menu of toggling on and off before starting a new game.
I understand some people like the weight system in RPGs, Im not one of them.

Games would be better if they added the option in the menu of toggling on and off before starting a new game.
Only games that do it right that I've played is the Souls series.

erawsd

Geralt's horse acts as a mobile storage so it may not be as annoying this time.

Is there a way to turn off the HDR? I'm a bit sensitive to light and it's one of those effects that adds some unnecessary strain for me.

Fucking hell, the autosave function is so unreliable.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I dont know if its infinite. Just read that Roach was replacing the storage chests in the Inn, which makes it more useful since you dont have to travel back to town to store things.
I like this idea more than anything.

The Kayran fight is some trial and error bullshit. I don't know why I decided to play this on hard.

Edit: I like how even loot from the boss doesn't even sell for 50 orens. So tempted to play with the economy mod.

Dries

Hey guys, I've been toying with graphical settings in The Witcher 2 and I was wondering about something. When I turn Ubersampling on it seems as if ubersampling greatly reduces sharpening. I tried DSR at 2.25x and 3x (coming from 1080p) and with DSR the sharpening is still heavily present.

But I thought Ubersampling was the same thing as applying DSR? Can someone explain the difference between these two?

The Kayran fight is some trial and error bullshit. I don't know why I decided to play this on hard.

Edit: I like how even loot from the boss doesn't even sell for 50 orens. So tempted to play with the economy mod.

You certainly do your tag justice lol.
You only post to point out stuff you don't like.

Bah, seems the game glitched or something and I didn't get the haggling ability. Would have come in handy now that I'm in chapter 2.

Hey guys, I've been toying with graphical settings in The Witcher 2 and I was wondering about something. When I turn Ubersampling on it seems as if ubersampling greatly reduces sharpening. I tried DSR at 2.25x and 3x (coming from 1080p) and with DSR the sharpening is still heavily present.

But I thought Ubersampling was the same thing as applying DSR? Can someone explain the difference between these two?

Don't mistake ubersampling with supersampling. TW2 uses ubersampling which is an extreme form of AA, it renders the frame multiple times to eliminate aliasing.
With supersampling you're doing the same thing as with DSR, rendering at much higher resolutions and then downscaling to your monitor's native res.

So I'm doing Iorveth's EE sidequest and I'm trying to remember if the
Vran
are mentioned in the books. Did CDPR add them to the lore?

Don't mistake ubersampling with supersampling. TW2 uses ubersampling which is an extreme form of AA, it renders the frame multiple times to eliminate aliasing.
With supersampling you're doing the same thing as with DSR, rendering at much higher resolutions and then downscaling to your monitor's native res.

So I'm doing Iorveth's EE sidequest and I'm trying to remember if the
Vran
are mentioned in the books. Did CDPR add them to the lore?

http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Vran

Is in the short story about geralt's mother.

SJRB

Gold Member
New Witcher III wallpaper:

GwzAsNE.jpg

1920x1080

Top Bottom