• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher Community Thread: Where we discuss what politics and sex have in common

Shy

It is only crashing when clicked on "load" though, and always without any error message, just straight to windows. The game is perfectly stable apart from this, it never crashed during gameplay for me, now or at launch.
ahh, for me it was both during the game and sometimes when it clicked on load, straight back to windows too.

Denton

BTW I just got to Vergen and damn the grass has a really terrible pop-in.
I tried both versions of the extreme mod by EatChildren (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=618991) and it works perfectly, but the problem is that with both versions my framerate drops to 30 in demanding areas on my 280X.

So in the end I just downloaded these two files:
http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher2/mods/274/?
http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher2/mods/303/?

And they are fine too. Grass still pops, but with the color fixed it is much less noticeable, and my framerate stays nicely at 60.

Don't really remember journal being bad. What's wrong with it ? It's not exactly going to give you the answer on the silver plate.
It's hard to get a summary of previous events. Doesn't help that the journal is inaccurate sometimes.

Okay, I think the game glitched (or is just that poorly designed) because I just now did the autopsy which lead to Geralt figuring out
that Azar is posing as Raymond.
But Geralt already knew that information in other quests.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I played the game today, there was a preview event in Paris. Some quick impressions of my 3 hour session. I also got to interview the lead environmental artist.

The build was the one press got to play in the end of january. Keep in mind I'm not a Witcher die-hard, never finished the first game, and I'm playing 2 now.

- There were 10 people playing, but only 3 pc's. 1 PS4 and rest XBO I think. I played the XBO version.
- I'm going to be honest here: I thought the XBO version looked rough. When a pc guy was off doing his itv, I messed around with the pc version for a bit and it's night and day. On pc the game is gorgeous, but on XBO I can't even say it looks good, merely looks okay. It goes without saying, but I would definitely get this on pc. Keep in mind that it's an old(er) build, but still. There was a lot of pop-in in the world, like drowners suddenly appearing out of nowhere.
The first section is supposed to end when you kill the griffin, but the XBO version had a bug where it was impossible to do so, so they said 'you basically finished the prologue, let's drop you in another section.' My game also crashed once and there were a bunch of other bugs, but I'm hoping most of these will be gone come launch.
- From the little I've played, it looks like this game may do the open world thing right... I got distracted from the main path several times, and in my itv the dev said they were going for 'organic' gameplay, where they didn't want to speak in terms of 'main' and 'side' quest. He even said that some optional content could influence the main quest in different ways, thought that was pretty interesting.
- Dev said that some optional content won't be shown as a marker, but really depends on whether you discover it or not. He said the team stressed points of interest, like a house burning in the distance, or a tower, ... They wanted to make it enticing to just explore, instead of checking off a bunch of markers on your map.
- The size of the world is... insane. Another journalist told me to zoom out for the larger map, so I did, and thought it was impressive. Then he said 'no, zoom further out, that's just one section'. Then I got to the actual world map. Mother of god. This game is huge. I asked the dev whether they'd fill it with cool stuff to do, but he assured me that the quest variety was a big priority for the team.
- Combat is faster and snappier than 2. Geralt seems more mobile in general. Luckily you also get a horse from the start, that you can summon from anywhere.

Looking forward to continue Witcher 2 now, because the demo definitely made me curious for 3.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
He even said that some optional content could influence the main quest in different ways, thought that was pretty interesting.

This sounds great. Didn't that happen in TW1, or was it my impression?

Anyway, thanks for the great impressions, Creamium. Glad you liked it.

I played the game today, there was a preview event in Paris. Some quick impressions of my 3 hour session. I also got to interview the lead environmental artist.

The build was the one press got to play in the end of january. Keep in mind I'm not a Witcher die-hard, never finished the first game, and I'm playing 2 now.

- There were 10 people playing, but only 3 pc's. 1 PS4 and rest XBO I think. I played the XBO version.
- I'm going to be honest here: I thought the XBO version looked rough. When a pc guy was off doing his itv, I messed around with the pc version for a bit and it's night and day. On pc the game is gorgeous, but on XBO I can't even say it looks good, merely looks okay. It goes without saying, but I would definitely get this on pc. Keep in mind that it's an old(er) build, but still. There was a lot of pop-in in the world, like drowners suddenly appearing out of nowhere.
The first section is supposed to end when you kill the griffin, but the XBO version had a bug where it was impossible to do so, so they said 'you basically finished the prologue, let's drop you in another section.' My game also crashed once and there were a bunch of other bugs, but I'm hoping most of these will be gone come launch.
- From the little I've played, it looks like this game may do the open world thing right... I got distracted from the main path several times, and in my itv the dev said they were going for 'organic' gameplay, where they didn't want to speak in terms of 'main' and 'side' quest. He even said that some optional content could influence the main quest in different ways, thought that was pretty interesting.
- Dev said that some optional content won't be shown as a marker, but really depends on whether you discover it or not. He said the team stressed points of interest, like a house burning in the distance, or a tower, ... They wanted to make it enticing to just explore, instead of checking off a bunch of markers on your map.
- The size of the world is... insane. Another journalist told me to zoom out for the larger map, so I did, and thought it was impressive. Then he said 'no, zoom further out, that's just one section'. Then I got to the actual world map. Mother of god. This game is huge. I asked the dev whether they'd fill it with cool stuff to do, but he assured me that the quest variety was a big priority for the team.
- Combat is faster and snappier than 2. Geralt seems more mobile in general. Luckily you also get a horse from the start, that you can summon from anywhere.

Looking forward to continue Witcher 2 now, because the demo definitely made me curious for 3.

Thanks for the impressions!
I'm genuinely afraid of what this game will do to my life.

aravuus

Glad to hear it, the world size and combat are pretty much the only concerns I have anymore. Combat especially, I really, really, REALLY hope I enjoy it more than TW2's combat, even some of the exploration could end up feeling meaningless if the loot and stuff I get from doing it don't matter cause I don't care about fighting.

Also, I'm way behind on my book reading schedule, I even had last week off, could have read at least a couple of books during that time but no, I just got drunk and spent half the time hungover lol

erawsd

Sounds like we'll be getting some new info or media during PAX EAST.

ubXr8pL.jpg

Sounds amazing. Thanks for the impressions.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Forgot to mention I got to ask an extra question. I knew about horses and boats as transport, but wondered if we could fly griffins or other flying creatures you hunt... That's a no apparently. I was hoping for a 'who knows' there :p

Forgot to mention I got to ask an extra question. I knew about horses and boats as transport, but wondered if we could fly griffins or other flying creatures you hunt... That's a no apparently. I was hoping for a 'who knows' there :p

Lol, that would be something else.

aravuus

I'm sure someone will mod it in if it's possible

Is the game mod-friendly, anyway? Have they said anything about mods and modding?

Denton

Hah, flying wouldn't really fit.

Thanks for great impressions. I am super happy that we will finally have a game (hopefully) that will show others how to do open world without fucking checklists and collectibles.
Hi Ubisoft/EA/Everyone except Obsidian! (and maybe Rockstar, haven't played GTA5 yet).

Hah, flying wouldn't really fit.

Thanks for great impressions. I am super happy that we will finally have a game (hopefully) that will show others how to do open world without fucking checklists and collectibles.
Hi Ubisoft/EA/Everyone except Obsidian! (and maybe Rockstar, haven't played GTA5 yet).

Let's hope, but I'm confident.
I'm glad MGSV is releasing well after TW3, I was afraid it would be too close. Trails in the Sky SC will probably be too close for comfort though.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'll say this much: if they deliver on the promise of having this insanely huge world riddled with interesting content... It'll be the most impressive open world game yet.

Seeing the world map is daunting btw, you can pretty much see the 100+ hours you're going to invest right in front you. Zooming out to the entire map was unbelievable.

Oh I forgot to elaborate on the second segment I could play. This is about 15 hours in, and you're in a castle up in snowy mountains. The quest is solving some mystery, spoilered just in case:
there was a massive feast, and bears appeared out of nowhere that you have to fight. You have to investigate where the bears came from, but it turns out these were actually shapeshifters present at the feast. You do this by combing the area with your Witcher sense. It felt very much like scanning the crime scenes in the Arkham games. From the smell of different body parts, Geralt gathered the needed info. You then hunt down the mage responsible, but we had to leave before I could fight him.

Of course, you guys can ask questions about anything else, I'll answer them if I can.

Creamium, could you go more in depth about the combat and how it compares to TW2's?
Is it wrong to say that it's pretty similar?

Denton

Well, that's that, finished my third playthrough of Witcher 2. First time playing Enhanced Edition, the changes were nice - the new cutscenes were well done and fitting (and the last one after credits was impressive and deppressing) and the new quest (Iorveth path) in chapter 3 was one of the best, if not the best, sidequest in the entire game. So much work that had to go into it, art-wise especially.

This time, I was dedicated to saving Saskia and dispelling Filippa's enchantment, and damn was it worth it. Their dialogue after the Enter the Dragon battle was fantastic, loved the callback to books and Villentretenmerth. I really really hope we will see Saesenthessis again, she is my favourite character in this game apart from the main squad.

This playthrough took me 48 hours (reported by Steam, no afk time). I read all the journal entries, all of quest description and repeated some quests/dialogues to see alternative outcomes. Did all quests in the game.
I shudder to think how long I will spend in Witcher 3, but I can't freaking wait.
This game is still 10/10 for me already.

Now, I will reload that save and battle Letho noncannonically, because that fight is awesome.

Well, that's that, finished my third playthrough of Witcher 2. First time playing Enhanced Edition, the changes were nice - the new cutscenes were well done and fitting (and the last one after credits was impressive and deppressing) and the new quest (Iorveth path) in chapter 3 was one of the best, if not the best, sidequest in the entire game. So much work that had to go into it, art-wise especially.

This time, I was dedicated to saving Saskia and dispelling Filippa's enchantment, and damn was it worth it. Their dialogue after the Enter the Dragon battle was fantastic, loved the callback to books and Villentretenmerth. I really really hope we will see Saesenthessis again, she is my favourite character in this game apart from the main squad.

This playthrough took me 48 hours (reported by Steam, no afk time). I read all the journal entries, all of quest description and repeated some quests/dialogues to see alternative outcomes. Did all quests in the game.
I shudder to think how long I will spend in Witcher 3, but I can't freaking wait.
This game is still 10/10 for me already.

Now, I will reload that save and battle Letho noncannonically, because that fight is awesome.

Good to hear about Iorveth's EE sidequest, it's my main motivation for my current playthrough, Roche's was pretty good too.

misho8723

Banned
In my opinion the Iorveth path is slightly better than to go with Roche, it has more details about the major characters and more interesting story bits.. but it is advised to play both paths because overall both are great and highly enjoyable..

In my opinion the Iorveth path is slightly better than to go with Roche, it has more details about the major characters and more interesting story bits.. but it is advised to play both paths because overall both are great and highly enjoyable..

Yeah, no doubt. Iorveth's is better but both should be experienced. People who only played it once missed out on a lot.

Shy

ok friends. i have a potential problem.

so, i've been going through 2 on steam for the first time to get a save ready for 3 ( and it's always been on my backlog of shame. )
but i'm getting 3 on GOG, my fear is that it won't see the save file. and all this work i've been doing to get everything ready will have been wasted.

does anyone know what the situation is with save file transfer. ?

ok friends. i have a potential problem.

so, i've been going through 2 on steam for the first time to get a save ready for 3 ( and it's always been on my backlog of shame. )
but i'm getting 3 on GOG, my fear is that it won't see the save file. and all this work i've been doing to get everything ready will have been wasted.

does anyone know what the situation is with save file transfer. ?
It saves to the same place no matter where you buy it from.

Shy

It saves to the same place no matter where you buy it from.
yeah ? cause the only place i see it saved in is the steam userdata remote folder.
unless i'm mistaken, and don't see it.

i ust checked the gamesave folder in my documents and nothing is in there. :(

yeah ? cause the only place i see it saved in is the steam userdata remote folder.
unless i'm mistaken, and don't see it.

i ust checked the gamesave folder in my documents and nothing is in there. :(
Oh crap...that's cause you probably have cloud saves on, which they did a pretty bad implementation on. Here's a couple old posts that explain how to change it to normal local saves. It's kind of a pain.
If you disable steam cloud your saves will be in Steam>userdata>your Steam ID>20920>remote . You should also be able to change the cloud storage by going to Documents>Witcher 2>config and right click the user.ini file and select edit then scroll down until you see CloudStorage=true and change the true to false and then click file and select save .
Enabling steam cloud after playing the game for a while and making saves, copies any existing game saves from their default location (XP system: <My Documents>\Witcher 2\gamesaves) to Steam>userdata>'your Steam ID'>20920>remote, and annoyingly resets the timestamp (both on the copied save games and in the remotecache.vdf file which lists the saves) making it impossible to see which is your most recent save within any particular quest.

Disabling steam cloud fails to update user.ini correctly, leaving CloudStorage set to true. If you manually delete the contents of Steam>userdata>'your Steam ID'>20920>remote as well as the remotecache.vdf file, the game will appear to have lost your saves because it looks for the remotecache.vdf file to get a list of available save games and failing to finds it assumes you have no saves.

Editting the user.ini as directed will fix this problem, however, you must exit steam before changing the user.ini file, it caches the file if you have run the game and will revert the change you made.

Shy

Oh crap...that's cause you probably have cloud saves on, which they did a pretty bad implementation on. Here's a couple old posts that explain how to change it to normal local saves. It's kind of a pain.
thanks for the post, but unfortunately i can't get it to work.

Denton

I think if TW3 GOG does not see saves in Steam's folder, it will be enough to just manually copy them into Witcher 2 folder in documents and it will see them.
In any case, there will be ingame characters whose dialogue will serve as import tool anyway.

Shy

I think if TW3 GOG does not see saves in Steam's folder, it will be enough to just manually copy them into Witcher 2 folder in documents and it will see them.
i was just thinking that. are you sure that will work. ?

Denton

I am not "sure", but common sense says it will. Witcher 2 also takes saves from Witcher 1 from a folder in documents, and the game does not even have to be installed. It just scans the folder, sees files, offers them for import.

I played TW1 on steam and TW2 from gog, I just had to copy the TW1 save files to the my documents folder for TW2 to find them.

Gametrailers made a top 10 games you must play twice list and didn't include TW2. Figures.

Yeah, that'll work. The format of the game saves are the same, it's just a matter of getting them to the right place. If you can't get W2 to save it in the right place you can at least move them there when you're done.

Finished The Witcher and I'll be starting the sequel soonish. Should I bother with any mods for my initial playthrough?

So you ended up completing it? So what are your final thoughts?

As for mods, maybe try the combat mod.
Forgot to tell you to use the true blood mod on TW1, I love it.

Shy

I am not "sure", but common sense says it will. Witcher 2 also takes saves from Witcher 1 from a folder in documents, and the game does not even have to be installed. It just scans the folder, sees files, offers them for import.

I played TW1 on steam and TW2 from gog, I just had to copy the TW1 save files to the my documents folder for TW2 to find them.

Gametrailers made a top 10 games you must play twice list and didn't include TW2. Figures.

Yeah, that'll work. The format of the game saves are the same, it's just a matter of getting them to the right place. If you can't get W2 to save it in the right place you can at least move them there when you're done.
that's good to hear, thanks so much guys.

So you ended up completing it? So what are your final thoughts?
Yes. Overall, I think it's a decent game. Just wish it didn't eat up so much time.
As for mods, maybe try the combat mod.
Forgot to tell you to use the true blood mod on TW1, I love it.
Decided to go with no mods.

Started The Witcher 2, and while the more modern graphics are nice the screen is way less readable than the first game. Trying to figure out which settings I can maybe alter. Bloom goes without saying. The presentation in general is dripping with excess including the menus.

Edit: Turning off bloom certainly helps. Now if only I could lessen the HDR.

Top Bottom